• Ask
  • myTake

Why do guys call girls ugly even it they're not?

Ok, I know that when some guys think a girl is ugly they will be a jerk and just tell her to her face. But I've also heard that sometimes guys will flirt like this by calling them ugly. And sometimes they're just joking around. I just don't get how to tell the difference between when they mean it or not. Usually I don't see a guy just straight up tell an ugly girl that she's ugly...but then again there are guys that do. Guys have told me I'm ugly before. One said, you're so ugly. But that was in the third grade. Don't boys do that to girls they like at that age? Then when I was in junior high, two guys used to constantly call me ugly. But the thing is, is that they would say it with a smile and stare at me all the time. So that sounds like they were flirting. So I'm not sure why guys act like this. But is it true that when they're young they act like that towards girls they like?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Yeah, happened to me too in elementary school and middle school. The same boys who called me ugly also ended up sheepishly handing me valentines. They get better by high school, haha.

What Guys Said 2

• it is a form of sarcasm, and at the more flirtatious ages. guys do it to tease a girl, but most would only do it to a girl that they liked who they were sure knew that she was pretty / that they were joking. It is meant for the girl to interpret it as the guys calling them cute without actually having to say so.

• ugly is relative and objective. I wouldn't call a girl ugly if I were flirting with her, that's like one of the things you just don't do.

What Girls Said 1

• Well, when guys say that around that age, I think it's to hide the fact that they like you and make it not seem so obvious while trying to appear cool. Guys around elementary and middle school are still very young and don't really know how to express themselves or their emotions very well, and so they say things that can be or come off as really mean just to get a girl to notice them. Or it could be that they are immature jerks who like picking on girls.