Why I Love Remaining Faceless On GAG

Why I Love Remaining Faceless On GAG

GAG is not a dating site.

Although it's great to allow people to see who they are conversing with, I feel like posting a picture is not necessary. I am not looking to meet a significant other. If I were, posting a picture would be extremely relevant in this case.

When nobody knows who you are, you have no power. But when nobody knows who you are, you have no weakness.

I love earning my followers.

It gives me satisfaction to know that a great majority of my followers have chosen to add me to their list because they value my views and opinions. If I were to have a photo up of myself, I could easily attain plenty of followers with my eyes closed. However, how many of them would be following me because they value my reasoning? Most of them would follow me because of my looks. Although this may work as an ego boost to those who don't get as much attention in real life, I hold more importance into the way people look at my mind. Looks gradually fade over time, if you're followed for your looks what is left when that is gone? The mind holds more power because the impact is forever lasting.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.

Quality messages.

Throughout the years I have spent on this site, I have heard countless times of women getting messaged perverted things or being sent nude photos. It's great being faceless on this site, and to be able to avoid that. Yes, I still get messages like that but it's on rare occasion. A woman who has her photo displayed probably receives that type of attention on a daily basis. Most of my messages come from those who need help and are curious about certain aspects of life.

People and things do not upset us, rather we upset ourselves by believing that they can upset us.

I love to strike an interest in site users.

Am I black? Am I white? Am I Asian? Am I mixed? This triggers an interest in some users; to those that hold high emphasis on this, I'd like to ask why is that of any importance? A insightful opinion will be honored the way it should when you are faceless. It should not matter the skin the person is in that delivers the message. Some people will perceive information completely different depending on the race or the look of the person attempting to help. I feel like none of that should matter if the person's words are profound.
I've known members that have faced racism solely due to having their photo displayed. I am not here to participate in the ignorance of others, but rather to help those that need it.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself.

Anonymity is important.

Some of us would suffer major anxiety if someone from every day aspects of our life, found out that we were members of this site. Some people post such personal information about themselves which may at times, be equivalent to what would be written inside of a diary/journal. Someone not having photos of themselves may feel more courageous to tell it like it is. Some topics are also very controversial. How tough and awkward would it be for someone you probably don't know too well in real life, to know where you stand on issues that hold high importance to you? Or to see you be attacked by a handful of members who share opposing views. I find that to be a terrible introduction of officially meeting someone or someone's molded perception about you.

People reveal so much of their mental processes online, simply because the psychological effect of anonymity just means that a whole raft of inhibitions are left alone when people log on.

This is your internet experience. You are in control of how you want to use it. If having your photo up adds to your experience level then by all means do so. If you're a person who is private like me and reaps benefits of having a private online identity then do so as well. We all have every right to choose what makes us feel comfortable.

Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 40

• I have a picture posted thats a book cover.
    I'd never post my actual face

• I, also, have no picture posted. I post many opinions, and some questions, on sexual topics. I also practice a profession and would not want to explain my presence or opinions on G@G to professional colleagues.

• Well, count me green. Incidentally, I seem to be following your example.

• I used to have my photos up on other sites I was on and it's not important for me anymore. Nor is making a name for myself. I'm not interested in posting up any 'About Me' sections or needing to talk about my accomplishments and how great I want everyone else to think I am. I've been there and done that, and have outgrown it. I'm here to interact and share thoughts, not submit some impressive resume or run for office. There's much more power and effect in being little known than being everybody else's god.

• I wish I had this much free time lol

• I am not a fan of anonymously here but I do understand why you choose for this now

• I have it 50/50. I never have a picture of my as my avatar but I usually have one on my profile. That way, people will read my opinions and judge them for what they are, instead of judging who wrote them straight away. But, if they actually were more interested in me, they'd go to my profile.
    Now usually that doesn't happen but still.

• niceness yo

• you're the female version of el zorro

• Why I don't care who sees what I look like... cuz I'm a badass...
    But seriously tho... good MyTake.

• if you stare at my picture long enough i turn around.

• Couldn't agree more with you Stacyzee! Although I do show my beautiful Cheetah face on here, no one believes it is really me, I couldn't tell you why. But I am SO glad I no longer have floods of horny women sending me perverted messages. Enough is enough girls.

• Beware of the bitter kids accusing you of being fake if you have the nerve to not reveal who you are :)

• Yes, I like the anonymity of this site.

• your identity lays within your writing style.

• True, but how many people in day to day life would be able to recognize it given that they only verbally speak with me.

• Mme. Stayzee... thy has a point.

• You are a killer with my takes and opinions good job👍 keep it up

• I like it this way too. I'm not too fond of putting pictures up. They could end up anywhere.

• I was faceless but I builded up all my courage to go with a face pic, so its a big achievement for me. I don't care for followers tho, its just a great site to find info on.

• You should take it all the way like me and go 100% anonymous on here, I'm not just faceless but nameless too

• Huh... u r not "faceless"... I always see yer name very often... in fact u r one of da most known GAG users... Anonymous means someone like me who goes 100% anonymous everywhere... ;)

• This solely pertains to not having a photo up.
      Even if I have my name up, no one will ever know who I am or recognize my words so in a sense I am anonymous.

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 22

• I don't put up a picture it case it gets on google, and my employer finds my profile on here, not saying I put up horrible stuff or anything but I don't want them to use gag against me if they have a different opinion then me. I wouldn't get the job because of it. I know its very unlikely this will happen but you never know. Now a days people can find anything.

• totally agree!!! that's why i never show my face here on GAG

• So true. 👍

• I remember you posting a picture of a black women on one of your mytakes and a user asked you why you did that and I believe you said something like you wanted a picture similar to you so I just pretty much assumed you were black or African American after that. I am paraphrasing

• Interesting myTake, thanks for sharing!

Personally, I don't mind having a picture up although sometimes I go back and forth between having profile picture of myself and taking it down to use a generic image. I do sometimes receive sexual messages but not very often and I receive far more messages from genuine people either asking for advice on a personal situation or asking me site-related questions. I think it can be nice to put a face to the person I'm talking to but I understand why some people wouldn't want to upload an image of themselves and I respect that.

• The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the earning your followers bit.

• I think nowadays people look for offense in everything. Of course you may have followers that added you because they like your opinions but those that are attractive or display their parts on their profile will get followers with ease vs a person who has no photo at all.

• Aww thanks , likewise here.

• I think that's the part that rubbed me the wrong way in this too.

• I used to not have a picture up for the longest time when I first joined g@g. I was afraid to have one. Also not many people followed me or messaged me. I felt so lonely on here and left out. I saw girls getting compliments on their looks and stuff and so I added a picture. Then that's when the creepy messages started. Also much more people followed me and wanted to talk to me.

Now I wish I kept myself anonymous. Lol.

• Also, when you're anonymous, people like you more for your personality, rather than your physical appearance. They rather hear what you have to say rather than just becoming your follower because you're hot.

• I admire that more. I am used to people wanting to know me for my looks in real life, it is refreshing to get so much compliments on my insight.

• You do stand out by your words and responses to others :)...

• You Got that right ✌🏼️✊🏼👏🏼👊🏼👍🏼

• Nice take.
    I personally don't use profile pics ever because I have a job to protect.

• Great take. Love it

• I have only had photos of myself up on GAG once and that was only for a week. And I've been on this site since 2008. First of all, it doesn't matter what I look like. I'm not trying to one-up any girls on here in the looks department. I'm not trying to get attention from guys on here (good God, the guys on here... lol), and I don't need 10 messages a week in my inbox from creepy dudes from the middle east and India. Also, back when GAG had less moderation, when people would get mad at me because they didn't agree with my opinion or because I don't bother to sugar coat anything, they would use my photos as ammunition to lash out at me.

• I don't understand why some people are so bitter to you, it's like people can't handle ignoring a post from someone they dislike

• They secretly love me , lol thats why they seem to follow me on every take.
      They remind me of the people that say they hate a celebrity but yet they are the first to buy their album, listen to their song or tune into watch their show.
      They love me deep down thats why they won't stop reading what I write.
      Honestly, if I dislike somebody I stay faraway from them. I dislike the Kardashians you'll never catch me watching their show. Thats true dislike!

• How do I become an editor?

• You are absolutely right, there are too many crazy people out there. Some would appear to be introvert and harmless to gain your trust.

Once i trusted someone and show him a photo of me, somehow he is an IT guy and managed to find my facebook profile, then the stalking begin. he started asking me lots of personal questions and even stalked people who interact with me on my profile pic (the rest of the profile are private)

• If you don't want people following you and taking your word based on your looks, why do you make sure you tell people EVERY SINGLE TAKE how irresistibly gorgeous you are? What you make me think is that you could be pretending to be someone else. You could be ugly sitting at home and telling people you're hott and they're just eating it up. Most people I know that say they're hot, aren't. It's not confident to tell people you're hot it's egotistical and most of the time they're blind. You may get attention in real life but that could just mean you try extremely hard and guys think your an easy bag. Guys will fuck average looking girls, some will even fuck ugly. Attention means nothing. I think I'm average pretty. An everyday kinda pretty. I get attention on the regular. Does that mean I'm every man's fantasy? No.

• This is exactly why I want to remain faceless. Although I've had a few people asking me what I look like, in regards to the question I previously posted, appearances was not what I was asking about. It's nice to keep the mystery alive, beings as I'm a private person myself. To remain faceless or not, it's all good.

• I am so with you on this. You articulated a whole lot of what goes on in my head.

Thanks!

• Same reasons why I don't like to put my pic up.

• I've never thought about the effect of putting a photo vs. not having one. The only reason I don't post of picture is because despite a growing number of people being thirsty af on here, this is still an advice site. That said, it's refreshing going to a place where you're not judged on looks.

• More from Girls
    2