Block Anonymous Users

That’s right, we were listening! You can now Block an Anonymous user, for that post only!

If you find yourself engaged in an argument that won't stop, or an anonymous user is harassing you, in addition to Reporting the post itself, you can now Block that Anonymous user for that post. The user will no longer be able to interact with you there, but will not be Blocked anywhere else.

To Block an Anonymous User:

For desktop, hover your mouse over the word Anonymous (top of Question or Opinion), a popup box will appear asking if you'd like to Block the user. Click Yes. Click No to Unblock.

For mobile, tap the word Anonymous, then tap Yes or No.

Block Anonymous Users

You can always go to our FAQ for reference on these instructions as well, What is blocking? How do I block another member?

Share your opinions, tell us what you think of this new feature; if you like it, if you'll use it, if you think it'll help. Always report any issues you encounter, if it doesn't work properly for you.

Thanks, G@Gers!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 36

• thanks a lot GAG!!! some anon users can be really mean at times

• bloody hell. THANK YOU!

• That's a good idea!

• I rarely have arguments with anonymous. I won't use it anyway.

• This is the greatest thing ever.

How do you unblock someone? I accidentally blocked one of my friends and I can't unblock them.
    Please help me.

• But why can a blocked user still post on my questions and takes when they go anonymous?

• hmm, if you can report anyway why bother blocking? reports get processed fairly fast anyway.. unless.. he's a super spammer o_o *omg hides*

• it dosent work

• Can you give us an example?
      Please remember that you two have to interact FIRST before you can Block them on that post.

• This is the worst change made in this site so far.

• It's about time.
    Still, If a person is anon, I don't think they should have blocking privileges.
    anons have always abused it, knowing you can't track them or block them
    I never go anon and I never allow them to comment on my posts

• That's cool! :-D

• This is great.
    Because anonymous people are so mean sometimes.

• THANK GOODNESS. !!!

• Ah yes it's so good. :D

• I disagree with this
    Only people who get butt hurt would care
    This is the internet. Don't get why people need to have their egos so baldly protected

• I agree but sometimes you get so pestered you just want to shush whoever is annoying you and this is one way.

• Haha good point
      Most people don't keep talking if you don't reply though

• This feature has been long requested by many users, i think they like it. thanks

• Well your half way there. Now just make it so you can block that anon entirely.

• I read through all the posts here. It would seem most are in favor & think it's a great feature.

• I wish I could like the crap out of this take.
    Yes, yes, yes!

• ah! a really good idea yea cool :)

• More from Girls
    16

What Guys Said 34

• After years of various users campaigning for this... the blocking anonymous trolls feature is finally here.

We shall rejoice! 8-)

• I hovered, didn't see anything

• It was an anonymous post that you posted on, and you didn't see the hover?
      You must first have interaction with the user you're wanting to block.

• It was just the first Anonymous I saw.

• congrats!!! awesome feature

• oh cool. im still good without it :)

• That is pretty cool.

Or just simply NEVER ALLOW ANY Anonymous responses in the first place.

Doesn't work on touchscreen.

• I to never allow an anonymous user to comment on any post I may put out there as a question.. but do not worry about that very much at all as I give way more opinions then I ever ask questions.. I have tho replied to a post that is from an anonymous user.. but when a user to me is anonymous.. it tells me that he or she is never who they signed up as.. so I do look at those posts to see if it even worthwhile to answer anything

• How do you unblock someone you accidentally blocked?

• i'm getting annoyed by anon's. I feel its coward. If they can't post opinions/questions without being anon then they shouldn't be here.

• I disagree. Why restrict someone who wants an extra anonymity layer on the internet?

• Well having a regular avatar shouldn't make it easy for someone to identify who you are... It just makes this site seem flooded with Anon's.

• intredasting

• can anonymous be got rid of totally?

i find many use it just to make points they wouldn't usually, and to troll, abuse or other laughable/cowardly reasons.

would be better imho if people requested it from the admins.

• Why? It's a good option. I don't like to put myself out there on the internet. It's not only the case on GAG, but I write stories on different sites without exposing my identity. Some people just don't like to be out there.

• Yes. I use anonymous for non-troling things. I know bad apples ruin the bunch but sometimes I have questions I don't want directly attached to me. I've asked some pretty personal questions on here that I wouldn't have asked without anonymous because some people are stalkers and weirdos. I don't want people holding onto awkward things about me that I'm divulging to get help with. I also answer questions and offer up some details I'd rather not expose openly. For one example, in the past, I've dated a fellow GaG member. Of course I knew better to ask questions on here, even anonymously, that would have referred to us directly because he's a pretty clever guy... he would have known it was about us. But later, after the relationship, I've occasionally referred to our relationship and how we solved certain things etc. A select few know about us, so, if I were to discuss it under my identity... at least a few people would know it was him. I can think of plenty of worthwhile uses for anon.

• Lol can you block me?

• i know lots of people were complaining about this. Nice to see GaG added this feature.

• I still miss the you make it a rule you can block or comment/reply but not both.

As it is passive-aggressive behaviours is rewarded, allowing to both a last word and blocking to prevent the other part to even respond.

Blocking is fine, responding is fine, but both responding and blocking at the same time ensuring the final word is not ok.

• A good one!

• Thank goodness. Anon pieces of shit always keep replying because they can't be stopped

• MIND = BLOWN

ONE OF THE BEST DECISIONS MADE IN GAG HISTORY, EVER

• The only addition that I wouldn't mind would be being able to block a non-anonymous users for that post only. From what I understand about the blocking non-anonymous users is that it does it for the entire site on everything... There's been times where I felt the need to block someone only to have to go back and unblock them late because I don't have a problem with them in general, just on that one or two instances. I also would like to be able to post comments on peoples opinions anonymously. Thanks to this new feature if the anonymous user that is commenting on a persons opinion starts to troll or harass the opinion owner then the opinion owner can block the anonymous person on that comment. And block an anonymous and non-anonymous users on comments to an opinion that isn't mine by that I also commented on. And I think this can easily be done without too much problem thanks to this new feature that allows users to block an anonymous person for that post or take.

• This will lead to another version of an idiot saying the last word and blocking anon. Personally I don't care as I always go anon and do not harass anyone and rarely do I get into any heated debate. *razzles girlsaskguys member na na na na na na... gets blocked* :P

• More from Guys
    14