The Difference between Equalism and Feminism

This is my first mytake so I don't know how to format it but I came to clear up this common mistake.

Definition of Feminism:

The belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men. These people can be either male or female human beings, although the ideology is commonly (and perhaps falsely) associated mainly with women.

The basic idea of Feminism revolves around the principle that just because human bodies are designed to perform certain procreative functions, biological elements need not dictate intellectual and social functions, capabilities, and rights.

Feminism also, by its nature, embraces the belief that all people are entitled to freedom and liberty within reason--including equal civil rights--and that discrimination should not be made based on gender, sexual orientation, skin color, ethnicity, religion, culture, or lifestyle.

Feminists--and all persons interested in civil equality and intellectuality--are dedicated to fighting the ignorance that says people are controlled by and limited to their biology.
Feminism is the belief that all people are entitled to the same civil rights and liberties and can be intellectual equals regardless of gender. However, you should still hold the door for a feminist; this is known as respect or politeness and need have nothing whatever to do with gender discrimination.

Definition of Equalism:

A philosophy that holds men and women should are equal. A lot of women think they actually believe in equalism, because feminism means that women are superior.

Now, Don't get me wrong, Feminism is a great thing, its just not COMPLETE equality. Some people do explioit it and make it sound like its a terrible thing when it isn't. The only thing wrong with Feminism is that if they do accomplish their goals, it actually isn't equal in the end. Guys still have to hold the door for girls, pay for dates, etc. Everyone who thinks there should be no double standards, complete equal rights, etc. is an equalist not a feminist. If you feel offended by this I am sorry I don't mean to offend anyone just clearing up definitions.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 4

• ... I feel like you maybe need to take some courses or speak with someone who has actually studied the concept as you are rather off, honey. Feminism does NOT believe that women are better than men. It is the belief that everyone, men, women, and anyone else depending on where they fall in the gender spectrum, are equal.

Yes there have been problems in regards to how feminism is taught or explained, but it is kind of like how people who follow religion do not always get the point of religion and end up contorting it for their own benefit.

Women who lean toward the men are lesser than women? That is called misandry, a and that is a different subject.

Now, "equalism" is essentially feminism, but it is created by people who get scared of the term feminism and the negative connotations that come with it, and also do not understand the history heavily tied to feminism. It was feminism that brought women the right to vote, propelled the civil rights movement, brought women out of the household, called out rape culture which effects women AND men, Title IX, same-sex relationship equality, the necessity for the female perspective and not just male, worked to get rid of back alley abortions, and many more.

If you feel offended, I am sorry, but your definitions are flat out inaccurate and I would suggest reading a book on the matter and educating yourself :)

• Okay, so what has feminism done for men? Remember, feminists are directly responsible for creating the idiotically misandrist Duluth Model.

• Actually feminist women usually don't like being treated like equals--they demand to have dates paid for, they demand that a man should pull their chair out (etc), they demand full control over child birth, they demand to be compensated more in divorce settlements, and they demand that men win them over and put in all the effort. At the same time they demand equality in respect to everything else. So yes they are essentially demanding to be treated better than men just because they are women.

• @Serp777

Your statement is an argumentative one without actual backing. Unless you come back with reputable statistics, it's just an opinion. There may very well be women who do that, BUT that is not feminism even if they claim to be feminists. What's more, the majority of women, let alone feminists, do not necessarily do these things. The people you are describing are suffering from "entitlement" not feminism. Big difference.

What you're saying is the equivalent of "all Black people I have met steal, therefore all Black people steal."

I actually feel uncomfortable having my meals paid for by others, unless I'm comfortable with the person; I do not need someone to pull my chair out for me; and everything else you have said... well maybe you've run into some very entitled women who also happen to call themselves feminists, but saying that these are feminist traits? Well that's a load of crap. My feminist friends do not behave in the way that you are describing. Note: people I like

• who the fuck cares, what its called... to associate with either term is disgusting b/c it just means there are people out there who dont believe in equality... look i couldnt care whether a guy opened a door for me or not, unless they purposely slammed a door in my face. And anyone that does open a door regardless of gender should be appreciated. Nevertheless, we need an equal society for both sexes including eliminating double standards and promoting protection programs for both males and females.

• Nice take. Wonderfuly put. 😊

• As a feminist, I think everyone should be polite men and women alike, so if holding open a door for someone is appropriate then that's fine. I hold doors open for people all the time.

With regards to paying for dates, the majority of feminists and women I know are happy to split the bill on a date. The only ones who don't are quite old-fashioned in that sense. I have never agreed with the idea of that. You are a gentleman by the way you carry yourself, your manners etc.

Thing is, what is wrong with having a movement which specifically focuses on advancing the causes of a group of people? That's like saying black rights groups should include other races in their campaigns. Just because they don't focus on other races, doesn't mean they don't want equality for them too. Also, feminism is an active MOVEMENT whereas the only activity of 'equalism' (by the way the correct phrase is egalitarian) i have seen is when people tell me i should be an equalist or egalitarian instead of a feminist.

Also, if someone is a feminist that does not mean they are exclusively a feminist. I also support mens rights campaigns/pressure groups such as Fathers4Justice.

I have always held the view that feminism helps (some) men as well. The ones who feel confined by their prescribed role as a male which dictates they have to be dominant, sporty, aggressive etc. or else they are labelled beta or gay.

• the problem with feminism is two-sided
      1. Radical feminism. Seriously, they're fucking up everything, seems to hate all men, and are just being generally bad.
      2. Women are no longer the de facto looser in the west. Women has problems, that we can't deny, but so do men. An education system tailored to women, inequality in how rape is treated... just to mention two. Stereoypical feminism loves solving theeir own problems (that's all nice and good), but you can't claim to be about equality if you refuse to aknowledge and help with male problems too. And take a look at feminism; what has it done for us men?

That is why feminism is getting A LOT of flak.

I am not a feminist, i am an egalitarian. I believe in political and legal equality between everyone. And i do not believe hate, shaming, sexim, or blatant lies are the way to go. Only dialogue, understanding, and tolerance.
      An empathis on what's sexist will just make people create scenarios that's sexist. We need to stop the BS

• You haven't actually named anything that feminism has done for men, you just repeated what feminists *claim* to advocate. Not what they actually do, just what they supposedly advocate. I know lots of feminists who claim they support equality for both men and women, but damned if they ever actually fight for men's issues.

What has feminism accomplished for men's issues?

What Guys Said 8

• Thing is, "equality" and freedom are not friends. For not all are equal when free, and not all are free when made equal.

For example--affirmative action and government programs designed to specifically help female business owners. How is that freedom, when some of the market is being helped solely because they have a pussy?

• in my opinion feminism could use a name change to egalitarianism, women are not "the oppressed gender" anymore.

• You're wrong.

• I wonder if humans are obsessed with "Feminism" merely because it's such low-level politics and understanding things like "Foreign Policy" or real problems like "Privacy Laws" and legal definitions are just too hard for them.

• I used to be on the fence about this feminism issue. I have made up my mind after seeing how the media has treated a scam artist like Anita Sarkeesian. It's fair to say that "some" feminists are genuine egalitarians, but right now they aren't the dominant force under the umbrella of the "feminism".

Feminism has been co-opted by wingnuttery and emotional nonsense, with ringleaders like Sarkeesian driving the clown car. Even Stephen Colbert didn't question her, ffs. Nuts and charlatans will only hurt the equality cause.

• Real definitions of feminism and equalism are virtually the same.

• I guess I believed in equity then!

Nice take bro

• I don't think anybody really believes men and women should be equal in everything.