To Block Or Not To Block

To paraphrase William Shakespeare:

"To block or not to block: That is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous insults
Or take arms against the sea of online negativity"

For full disclosure I have blocked 22 people for a variety of reasons

(1) I am here to enjoy myself on this site, a bit of escapism from the daily grind

To Block Or Not To Block

(2) I am not here to be insulted

(3) I am not here to be catfished, scammed, hit upon by fake accounts or in younger users' cases creeped upon

(4) I am not here to argue - I just want to live and let live

(5) I am here to support people not belittle them

Thank you for listening!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• This is a great myTake Dave!! :)

• Thanks for that - I wasn't really sure what I was doing

• I do block some people with depression who thinks this place is a shit dumper on others.

• @5 I've seen that phrase used so much when people are being hateful and straight up rude "It's my freedom of speech to make this person feel like crap" they don't say the last part lol but that's pretty much the gist of it.

• I usually block people that message me about random sex questions... I find it creepy and it makes me uncomfortable

I will also block someone if they call me a b*tch, I don't enjoy uncalled for insults...

Like you, I come here for some distraction from the everyday. I like GAG but unfortunately there's a lot of trolls

• 22 people? What a surprise. I thought you were zen haha maybe it's just your pic.

• I feel blocking people protects my "zen" - I am not here for any negativity. It is 24 now I have blocked 2 since Thursday.

• Hahah I agree with this take 100% - I've blocked 11 people on here overall and I'm only a member to this site since 5/7/2015, simply because they were so rude, wanted to argue and started calling me names after I refused to send them nudes or just because I didn't agree with their viewpoints - ugh..

• I like your post. I couldn't agree with you more. Some people are so rude on line its so dumb. Like really? Just be your self who you are.

• But it's more like, "To give a fuck or not to give a fuck..."

What Guys Said 9

• good Take, I agree on this

• I would suppose people are different in that way however I wouldn't discount them entirely. I can understand if people are having a bad day but... " There comes a time when the emptiness is overshadowing the guilt of ones statement and wholly rests upon weather the person is able to fully manifest their true intentions in it for good of others." I swear I will be so happy if that is not something else someone said. Sounds like it works though...

• Good point - I have noticed I calmed down on blocking maybe it was a phase I was going through

• Maybe stress? I don't know; once I started accepting peoples views even if they said ridiculous things like getting more girls or saying I am stupid I learned to take it as they were just looking to generalize a situation without seeing "the forrest for the trees" or not knowing enough about the given situation. Be it a misunderstanding or whatever, I just give my best advice I can and move on. As for the blocking I will block that person for a week then unblock. Usually by the end of that week they won't even remember or have blocked back, regardless dirt off my shoulder and I can move on to giving more advice:)

• 5 worty people have the trophy.

• I block people only becz they use "freedom of speech" way too much

• Very good take. Interesting stuff :).

I block people only to maintain quality.

• Agreed. Good take there.

• (6) I like to shut down dissenting opinions instead of allowing people to have different views than me

Because let's face it, that's what most people use the block feature for.

• Unfortunately that can be true - I have been thinking about it overnight and I am going extend number 4 by trying not get invovled in debate at all.

• Well, I don't mind discussions as long as they're civil. Once the other party starts shit-flinging I usually just stop responding. I very rarely use the block-feature. I don't think rudeness is a really valid reason to block someone, though it may come in handy if you simply don't want to see anything from that poster.

• "I am not here to argue" .. than avoid participating in any kind of debate please.

Otherwise arguing against your view is part of free speech.

Freedom of speech is the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas even if you don't like them.

You have the right to block anyone insulting you, the real issues is what constitute an insult. The line between passive aggressiveness and the attempts to hamper free speech vs blocking anyone saying something you don't like is a fine line.

If you have block 22 you probably don't know where to draw that line, in my opinion - of course I don't know for sure.

• A good samaritan :) Now I feel a bit bad because I like to troll and pick on people quite a bit, though, not without reason. You have my respect.