What It's Like to Be a Sleepy Person

I'm a highly motivated person. I have goals, I have achievements I want to accomplish. But the biggest goal of my day to day life is to sleep at least 8 hours and take a 3 hour nap.

"But why do you need so much sleep, linky?" You might ask. Let me learn you somethin'! I don't need so much sleep, per se. It's just that I'm a generally more pleasant person to associate with when I do sleep that much.

What It's Like to Be a Sleepy Person

Legit, we have customer survey's we get at work. Feedback and such. I have gotten so many bad surveys because I didn't manage to get in a nap before work that day, or I slept for shit the night before. Sleep rules my emotions, and it's probably a very bad thing.

Actually, the overall importantance sleep has in my life negatively impacts quite a few things. But I'm sucked in, it's an awful vortex of comfy desire that I can't manage the arm strength to pull myself out of. Which I'd have...if I didn't prefer to sleep over going to the gym.

But the gym isn't the only thing I sacrifice for sleep. I actually make the conscious choice of eating a second meal or going to bed. Today, in fact, a nap won over the second meal. I'm running on like...fifteen french fries and five forkfuls of pasta.

Great for weight loss, awful for energy management. Not to mention the dizzy spells. You get used to it, though there are days where suddenly the ground is rushing up at you and you almost regret that nap. Almost. But who, in all reality, regrets a nap? Not I, said the fox.

Another bonus to taking naps and sleeping a solid 8 - 10 hours at night? You're sleeping...so therefore you're not spending money. It makes managing your cash so much easier, especially if you're a particularly weak willed person who throws their entire paycheck at at Target when given the opportunity.

One more thing before I go and contemplate going to sleep even though I just woke up from a 4 hour nap 3 hours ago: When sleep is on the brain, when sleep is your one true love, you look at every surface and contemplate the compatibility between it and your body for adequate slumber.

I'd be lying if I said I never laid down on an L-Cart at work on break to take a 30 minute power nap. I've done it. I am not ashamed. Dog beds make wonderful pillows.

Goodnight, sleep tight my little GaGers.

teawrecks is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 8

• ""Sleep rules my emotions, and it's probably a very bad thing.""

No, that's how it works for everyone, and that's exactly why everyone is so STRESSED

Or is it just me? I only sleep 7 hours most of the time.. it's probably me.

• I know the feeling I have to get at least 7 hours of sleep and then I like to set the timer to go off every ten minutes for an hour after my initial clock goes off just so I can have the satisfaction of resting for 10 more minutes. ( just weird like that )

And I have to have a nap a day... ok well I don't have to have one but I want to take a nap a day lol. Naps are heavenly :D

• all that sleep is a sign of depression

• doesn't mean they have it though, a lot of sleep can be a sign of many things, you can just jump straight to depression when youve got nothing else to go on.

• As a matter of fact yes, now quit linking me.

• I require at least 9+ hours of sleep to feel good getting up in the morning. I almost never get that much except for the weekends. So usually throughout the week when I'm off work or done with classes I take like a 2-3 hour nap.

• im allways sleepy too... but i can't sleep while i need to work so i drink tonns of coffee, high caffein cola and im pretty sure to get a gastric ulcer sooon... NEED COOFFFEEEE MUST WOOOORK *zombie voice*

• You're sleeping way too much

• Nah I'm good.

• I don't have anything else to do, I'm saving up money to be able to afford to move out so... when I'm not working, might as well sleep. I'd be doing something equally as lazy like watching tv or reading a book if I were awake.

• Thats an interesting way to look at it

I find if I oversleep too much consistently, I actually start feeling physically sick. But I guess you can get used to it. But I mean you dont have to sleep, just self entertain maybe. And Im wondering how you even fall asleep so easily pushing 11 hours a day of sleep

• As a person who struggles to get 4/5 hours sleep a day - I am so envious of you and people like you who fall asleep on command - If I had a 3 hour nap, I would waste 2 hours and 55 minutes of it trying to fall asleep - The only time I fall asleep easily is if I train myself into the ground and am exhausted or if I have gone a couple of weeks on 3 hours a night and now am running on fumes then I might sleep 8/10 hours for a night.
    I am glad you embrace it because when you don't have it you realise how precious it is.

• I'm the same I need loads of sleep. But on the other hand I'm lazy to go to bed at night so I sleep very late every night.
    Another reason for me why sleep is important for my health is when I don't sleep I feel angry (even though I'm usually a calm person) and I punch myself to let it out :P

What Girls Said 7

• I agree 100% with a good nights sleep you just feel kind of cranky and it's a little more tricky to be pleasant.

• If you are getting adequate sleep ever day but still find yourself feeling sleepy all the time you should get your iron levels and thyroid hormones checked.

• I've always had pretty low iron, but my thyroid hormones are definitely something I actually HAVE wanted to get looked at. My doctor has a tendency to just dismiss my questions and concerns though, so I've put it off.

• Ok if you know you have issues with low iron you've got to stay on top of that shit! Feeling fatigued all the time is the least of your worries. Chronic iron deficiency can cause all sorts of problems including increased susceptibility to infection, heart disease, liver failure, ovarian cysts, weakened joints, easily torn muscles tendons and ligaments, memory loss and increased risk of dementia. The list goes on.

• I've always had issues with this too and I make sure to eat a diet high in iron and I get my levels checked any time I find myself feeling chronically fatigued and go on supplements for a couple months to build my iron reserves back up when the tests inevitably come back showing a deficiency.

• Yeah I wish I could sleep as much. I sleep on avg like 2-3 hrs a day for a few says straight but then the next day I'll just completely shut down and be dead to everyone. The tradeoff is productivity though. I get a lot of shit done and don't even realize it so that's a plus. The other downside though is that sometimes I don't realize it, so ill redo a project on accident. ✨🌈✨

• I sleep for 10 hours a night and take a 3 hour nap a day... I'm still tired after all of it and one day I slept for 16 hours on a long weekend lol.

• Do you ever get the good kind of sleep-deprived, tho?

Like, one of at least 3 different kinds of good.

1)
    The kind where the world just moves past you in a blur, and you sorta float through the world with this effortless grace (which I never have when I'm wide awake, because #spazgirlproblems)?
    When I read what psychologists write about "flow states", this kinda reminds me of a social/kinesthetic equivalent of a flow state. If I need to be smashingly charismatic and work a room, this is the kind of sleep-deprived that I need to be.
    I move languidly, but smoothly; I speak slowly, but (according to my husband and other men) oddly seductively; ... yeah. I don't remember anyone's name I meet, but, that's OK because they remember me. <3
    Y'ever get this?
    For me, this even extends to typing. I type fastest when I've been awake for between 30 and 50 hours. No tension in mah fingers at all, by that point. Flow state. LOL

2)
    There's tons of studies to support this, but, altered states of mind are conducive to creativity.
    For writers, in particular, two states of mind that seem to give the writing process a swift kick in the ass are (a) drunkenness, and (b) sleep deprivation.
    I don't drink at all, so... you see where this leaves me. LOL
    But, yeah. I can't write for shit when I am well rested. Although the first few hours upon waking are the best time for things like meditation, etc.
    You ever experience this, with writing or other creative outlets?

3)
    as you probably know -- because gosh knows, I probably write it on every other damn post on here -- I was super hyper manic-depressive as a teenager. That was when I first started experimenting with... well, not sleeping. LOL
    Anyway, I discovered soon enough that, counterintuitively enough, NOT sleeping is actually a pretty powerful defense against depression.
    I mean, the medical community didn't even catch on to this until like 10 or 15 years later. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12531127 I should've monetized that shit. lol

Don't know if you've suffered depression at all, but... if you have, then you might be benefiting from sleep deprivation and not even know it!

__

In any case -- I managed to survive more than ten years of getting something like 10-15 hours/week of sleep. (yep, that's /week, not /day.) So, feel free to pm me for various levels of recommendations for dealing with this type of thing.

• I have Fybromylagia so I also need lots of sleep. Unfortunately I'm also an insomniac so I never get it. I forget what it's like not to be tired.

• as I wrote in my last paragraph above ^^ I have way too much experience with not sleeping (lol) so, feel free to pm me

• Sleep is so important. I can't function well either when I'm sleep deprived