5 Differences Between Optimists and Pessimists

1. Optimists believe that they have the control

Optimist believe that they shape the future. They don't see any reason tomorrow won't be better than now, so conditions and the past have no meaning for them.

But pessimists don't think that they have any control of their lives. If they knew they had control then they wouldn't be pessimists.

2. Optimists look forward

Yesterday is just an experience for optimists. There is nothing better than now, and tomorrow also looks good.

Pessimists don't usually look forward. Actually, they do but what they see is an unpleasant future, which is based on their bad experiences.

3. Optimists have self-confidence

Optimists believe they can overcome anything. But pessimists don't believe any such thing; they just think they are the victim of life.

4. While optimists think that it's possible, pessimists see the problems

Optimists: "What should I do next? I have many choices."

Pessimists: "What should I do next? I have many problems."

5. Optimists have a better life

Of course it offers a better life.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 9

• 7d

good

• 7d

ım oprimist

I'm an optimist!!

Pessimist complains about things that will go bad when optimist is hopeful things will be good. The pessimist gets good results and say that was a pleasant surprise, the optimist sees the bad results and say another good day will come...

Ironically, Nick (that last GIF) is actually a huge pessimist.

Blue anon keeps down voting options.

I feel as though being an optimist or a pessimist is just a bad idea. Pessimists fail to see all the tiny blessings they have, but optimists often times fail to notice the sea of problems that's beginning to overtake them. Most pessimists that I have met usually are ungrateful. Most optimists that I have met are usually blissfully ignorant of the cold hard truth. I consider myself a realist. I know that in life there will be things that I can of cannot control. I've just got to appreciate what I've got but also acknowledge and tackle my problems.

*or...

@kneehow this girl gets it

@kneehow Optimists acknowledge this, we just embrace the opportunity for a better future. How can changes be made if no one believes these changes are possible? Someone who chooses to ignore today's problems aren't optimists they're delusional.

Being a optimist rocks

Being optimist is always a better choice, yet sometimes being realistic is the best. Too much optimism may mislead to false hopes.

What Guys Said 9

You forgot the pivotal one- 'Perception'

^This

My first thought was "Our beliefs shape our reality".
      The pessimist says it's a gloomy day and he's right.
      The optimist says it's a good day and he's right.

I think you confuse pessimism with fatalism.

Pessimism is just a smarter, higher form of optimism. If you always expect the worst outcome you're guaranteed to be pleasantly surprised. A pessimist is also on a constant crusade to improve them, prepare for the worst and learn Kung-Fu.

It is hard living with a pessimist when you're the opposite...

I would tone it down a little bit and say probably best to be a "Realistic Optimist".

I think you're wrong on all counts.

nah i just believe the bible
    and the ending isn't very good so guess what
    the end sucks no matter what anyone says
    that's being real
    not pessimistic

Optimist are also the first to crack under pressure. Pessimism has its advantages because quite frankly you realize that nothing is certain, just because you want things to get better doesn't mean they will which in turn makes you try and fix things, makes you prepare for the worse which in turn lets you mitigate damage from those events unlike optimist who take the full brunt of it because they thought that nothing bad was going to happen. Pessimism lets you see the potential problems you will face and come up with a plan to deal with them to either circumvent them entirely or to mitigate the damage they do.
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...efits_n_4392525.html

The real criteria for overcoming tough scenarios is acceptance. Being optimistic just helps fuel you, while being pessimistic doesn't offer anything as far as motivation and can even harm you in the long run. A person who accepts their situation, but is optimistic of the outcome is more likely to overcome that situation than a pessimist who accepts the situation.

It's only if the optimist doesn't accept the immediate situation that he's more likely to fail, because those small losses build up until they crack because they lose motivation and with it their belief. While the pessimist might complain if he accepts the situation he is dealing with the problem appropriately not optimally.

Navy SEALS go deep on this subject matter. Mental toughness is more about embracing the situation and focusing on the next step. Having belief in yourself to win and succeed is equally as important. Negative self talk kills athletes and other top level performers.

• 28d

@rjroy3 Well here is one source in the post I linked to (it was in the post itself): www.apa.org/.../pessimism-future.aspx
      Here are the others (also linked to in the original link): http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/105/1/38/
      http://cdp.sagepub.com/content/19/3/167

• 28d

@rjroy3 I'm not saying its bad to be positive, I'm only pointing out that their is a positive in being negative. You are more prepared for when things go wrong.

I'm a realist but in the eyes of an optimist they sometimes see me as a pessimist. Yet, to a pessimist, I sometimes am seen as an optimist.

I think that a realist is really a pessimist.

We each have are own opinions. I know what each definition is for an optimist, pessimist and a realist - so you don't need to spell it out. From my own personal experience I think that expecting the worst of everything is being realistic because the worst always happens to me. So it's very much subjective, you may throw definitions out there but, for me, personally there's no clear line between pessimism and realism... but I understand where you are coming from...

@Crumbles The worst thing doesn't happen to you. You just perceive it that way because you're a pessimist. It's the worst thing that you can imagine, but not the worst thing possible in my opinion. What is subjective is what is considered to be the worst thing. Which is why you perceive it to be the worst. However, what is objective is that a realist is not really a pessimist.

Let's take sports as an example. At the beginning of the season having dreams of winning the championship for a team that traditionally sucks is not realistic. An optimist may perceive this realistic viewpoint as being pessimistic. At the end of the season they are in the championship game. An optimist will think they will win, a pessimist will think they got this close only for them to come up short. A realist won't be so positive to claim victory and won't be so negative to claim they will end up losing. There's a distinct difference and it's very objective.