Why I prefer animals to people

Why I prefer animals to people

(Starting left to right in the front Sam, Bruce,Maisie,Blossom who are all mix breeds)

People always look so shocked when I say I prefer an animals company than people. Don't get me wrong I like the company of people but you never know what they are thinking. With an animal at least you have a small idea because of their behaviour pattern.

You also never know when another person is going to hurt at least with an animal they give you a warning before they bite.

People also tend to judge me and occasionally walk on egg shells around me thinking the littlest thing will set me off because I'm in a wheelchair. For example a dog would act around me as they would with any person especially the ones in the picture above.

Does any one else feel this way but for different reasons?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• i get what you're saying, but then i've never understood that rationale to be honest. i think animals can be just as unpredictable.

• An interesting take. I can understand why you would feel that way. I have to say that my brother is quite fond of animals, and for much the same reason. He is (mostly) wheelchair bound and finds that his cat never treated him differently. Indeed most animals don't. People however are a different story.

I think pets are a wonderful thing. They make us happier and they help us stay healthier and live longer! That's awesome!

Where I caution people is that I don't think pets should be a substitute for humans. Pets love us unconditionally and there are times in our lives when we need that. But Blondie loved Hitler unconditionally. Pets often love people unconditionally because they don't know otherwise. Pets and their unconditional love does not challenge us to become more sociable or better at interacting with other people. There's a correlation between people who harm animals and people who harm people, however I don't think that there's a correlation between being nice to animals and being nice to people. All kinds of monster kept faithful, loving pets but they were just horrible to other humans.

By all means keep pets! Love pets! Enjoy pets! However, get out there and be among people, too!

• Tbh.. I've noticed this trend for some time now... but it largely exists amongst internet dwellers. For whatever reason, the internet seems to care way more about animals than humans. I was reading a study at some point which stated the over half of people in the USA would sooner save their dog over a random person if those 2 options were put in front of them.

Honestly, I think its a bad trend, and one that may lead itself to social degeneracy amongst our society. I have a dog myself, and I do like it. But humans will always rank above all other life for me. I couldn't even fathom saving my dog over another person. To save an any mail that can't even recognize the choice you made for it... I just don't get that. Anyways.. not meaning to harp on your take here... but I'm just a not weary of where people choose to direct their energy these fays

• He is a radio talk show host. He often brings up this very topic.

Like you, I would save a human before I saved my own cat. And I love my cat.

• @Bluemax

ahh okay. Yeah i really dont understand where this shift in public consciousness has come from, but its kinda saddening to me. i mean we use to send german sheppards across no mans land during the world war to send messages or w/e to keep men from dying. Now its like... people are hesitate on whether or not they would save a random dude over a puppy -_-

• "Dogs are man's best friend" You are so lucky you got four ^_^
    positivethoughtsonlife.files.wordpress.com/.../dog-mans-best-friend.jpg

• Sadly they are not my auntie rescues them but they are looking for new homes but it's seems they have found a place in my heart and I have got way too attach to them especially Bruce :)

• :)))) best wishes for these dogs and you too

• Awe thank you :) same to you

• I like animals as they will always love you no matter what.

• I don't have any pets but I hear they're good at calming you.

• Yeah humans have much deeper emotional depth, so we don't want to harm others feelings.

What Girls Said 7

• I agreed that animals, or dogs at least, can understand a lot more than most give them credit for. Sure they won't understand the specifics of whatever you're dealing with, but they'll pick up on the gist of it from your body language and overall mood. I think dogs especially are almost better at genuinely understanding than a friend because they possess zero judgement.

How many times did I come home upset at my boyfriend, ending up cuddling with my dog for a bit. Makes you feel a lot better to have a stay at home cuddle buddy, who won't lament you and say '... this AGAIN?' paired with an eye-roll. :P

• I do love having my fluffy kitteh around more than people. Well she's like me with the random ness, being silly, her serious looks she gives, etc . Just thinking about it i'm laughing and want to hold her till she meows at me to put her down. lol Just she's so silly and I love her random hyper bursts :D

• Dogs are so much easier to read than people, haha! I agree. Animals don't judge and dogs will love you no matter what. Dogs will love you till their last breath, yet still keep on giving for you. Nothing beats a loyal dog.

But then again, I've been working with donkeys, pigs and snakes today. Donkeys kick and one bit my neck before, the pig today was biting me and the bucket and the snakes were being moody. It's not always sunshine and rainbows with them!

• In my opinion animals are so much more dangerous than humans, at least you can communicate with humans and somewhat get them to understand. I don't understand why people would like animals over people.

• I can see where your coming from but I find if you study an animals behaviours and treat an animal with respect they will treat you with the same respect :)

• Fair enough :)

• Interestingly, a park ranger at Yosemite and I fell into a discussion about this. He believes the most dangerous animals you can encounter on a trail in Yosemite is another human. He told me that no one in the history of Yosemite has EVER been killed by a bear, rattlesnake, or mountain lion. Only a handful of people have been killed or injured by deer (which, believe it or not, are potentially MORE dangerous than a black bear or mountain lion). Yet every year, people are injured BY OTHER PEOPLE in fights that happen in the park. More people have been killed by other people in Yosemite than any other animal.

• because they never ask money for drug, comment on my style, mock the way I am

• Sometimes people are assholes... and animals aren't...

• I have a cat. He is currently at my parents house. He likes to cuddle with me. I am allergic to cats but he was a gift from my sister.