4th-gen Chevrolet Camaro or 2003 Acura CL Type-S?

So in the future I want to sell my current car and get a different one. However, I have limited options since I'm into performance cars and can't go over $10k. I've found many cars that fit the bill (you can suggest your favorites) but it's realistically come down to two options: A 4th-gen Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 or a 2003 Acura CL Type-S. Why these? Both have manual transmissions and both are cheap/practical enough to be fun and still do "car" things like commuting. Sorry Miata, but you're too damn small. So here's the list of pros and cons of each and I'm wondering what I should go with.

4th-gen Camaro:
Pros:
-RWD
-5.7L V8 with 300+ HP
-Cheap to fix
-One of my coworkers has one and I'd get a lot of bro credit from others
-LOUD

Cons:
-Finding a V8 Camaro for under $10k in decent condition is difficult since they're now pretty much collector's cars.
-GM build-quality. This thing will probably won't even start at least once a week and the interior/exterior would make me feel like a peasant.
-It looks like a catfish.
-Cannot handle too well since it's a muscle car
-Insurance will bend me in half.

2003 Acura CL Type-S:

Pros:
-3.2L V6 with 260HP
-LSD so no FWD wheel-spin
-One of the best handling FWD cars ever
-Rare, only about 4k were sold in the US.
-Honda reliability
-Super practical
-The interior is amazing, with leather bucket seats and luxury stuff like a great audio system, heated mirrors, cruise control, etc.
-All the safety stuff like ABS, Traction control, Multiple airbags, stability control, etc. So cheaper insurance.
-Dual purpose, can be a performance car one minute and a comfortable commuter the next.
-I'll get mad respect at Honda meets from people in their Civic SI's, yo.

Cons:
-FWD
-Rare, so there aren't many of them, especially ones with 150k miles or less. Also, clutches are like $2000 for this thing.
-Nobody knows what the fuck this thing is.
-The exterior of this car is soooooo boringgggg.

• Camaro bro!
  • CL Type-S is the best.
  • Other (please give your suggestion below)
I like the CL more because it fits more of my needs and my personality, but the Camaro is obviously much cooler.
Before you dismiss the CL, please note that it has amazing interior (which is important because it's where you'll spend all of your time driving): img2.netcarshow.com/...3_1024x768_wallpaper_0a.jpg
and isn't a slouch:
https://youtu.be/HhYvxqitvV0

and for the Camaro, please note that peeling out of parking lots and having people hear you from 5 blocks away is important for a 20 year old's lifestyle.
I've actually decided to go with the Camaro since I can't find a good CL for a decent price anywhere around and after having a ride in my coworker's I've realized how awesome they are.

Most Helpful Guy

• As much as I love the Camaro I'm going with the Acura. It will be an overall better daily driver and be good for road trips.

What Girls Said 13

• I honestly have no idea but the camaro looks like they tried making a Ferrari or Porsche and totally failed. And the Acura looks cheap and is way too mainstream.
    But a car's appearance really doesn't matter right now because if you want a car to pick up hot girls, you'll need a luxury car, and trust me, you aren't getting one of those, only like 5 percent of people can afford one. So out of these options, i'd go with the cheapest and safest one, just put the appearance aside :).

• www.iagclassics.com/.../...hevyCamaroSSBlk-001.jpg

I think you can find a Chevrolet Camaro 2010 or lower for a decent price! Plus it's a sexy and masculine car. I like it in black.

• Didn't see a single one for under $20k. While this is a great suggestion because the new Camaros are very nice, they aren't exactly my style and cost too much. If I had access to my parent's deep pockets I would have considered it.

• Aw man okay :/

• The Camaro!

• http://www.soarerworld.com/images/soarer_mk3.jpg
    A 1990's Lexus Soarer. You get best of both cars in one.

• I would get the CL, it seems more practical for where you are in life right now. When you can afford more, you'll be able to buy a car that looks cooler. And your neighbors could get annoyed if your car is too loud, although if you're really into that, I think you can buy something that makes your car louder.

• I'm a Chevy/GM girl so I say Camaro. My friend has a brand new one and it's fun to drive in!

• I voted B for practicality.

• American muscle is so sexy.

• lamborghini is the best ♥︎

• B is better. A looks nicer.

• Mustang!(:

• CL Type-S is the best.

• I'd go with the Camaro but, as you said finding one that hasn't been completely beaten down could be difficult. Just take your time and look at a bunch of them.

What Guys Said 40

• I don't know what your commute situation is like but i too was once young and pour all my money into cars and here's my 2 cents.

Car 1: Buy a reliable daily driver, 4 cylinder 4 door. Since you'll be working on the car, keep it simple and cheap.

Car 2: Here's your toy. spend a couple of years blue printing what you want or get out there and talk to guys at the drag strips and autox or whatever you're looking to get into.

If you spend$ on your daily driver, it's going to be a nightmare. You need time and effort when your working on cars and no car = no work = no $...

So many guys who buy a v8 end up selling their half assed projects because of funds. I too started out thinking i can do it but.. the golden rule:

Cheap, reliable, fast.. pick 3 because you can have them all.

If i could go back, i'd get 2nd car that is my project car while maintaining a boring daily commuter. If you don't have $$ to play. Don't freaking do a project. Cars are terrible investments. Every $2000 you spend in upgrades yields - $200 in value to the car.

• 1. I do already had a reliable 4cyl, 4 door car.
      2. I'm not looking to make a project car, only an exhaust and air filter on both for sound.

• If it were me, i wouldn't buy two cars similar to one another. If you already have a 4 cyl and you're looking for something fun. Why not just go with the v8?

• That is true, but a V6 is good too (not in the Camaro though). The CL is only slightly similar to my current commuter in the fact it's FWD. Other than that it's completely different.

• Given a choice between these two, I'd pick the Camaro Z28. It's hard to find a V8 Camaro under $10K, especially an SS like the one in the picture. But I don't think they have become collector cars just yet.

And it is unfortunately very, very true that the gas and insurance would bend you in half six ways to Sunday.

But I still think they're cool. I think the catfish/spaceship looks are neat, actually. And I wouldn't feel like a peasant in any V8-powered muscle car. I'd rather have a muscle car than any of the luxury exotics, even.

However, if I was going GM, I think I'd go with a 1998-2002 Firebird Trans Am WS6 or the rarer, slightly more powerful SLP Firehawk. Engine-wise it's the same as the Camaro and Corvette of its day. But while the Camaro is more down-to-business outside, the Trans Am is a little flashier in terms of style. It looks like a cross between a jet fighter and an actual giant hawk. Even though they haven't been made in 13 years, they still look great if you ask me.

Just make sure you have a winter car as well, since RWD is very difficult to manage in snow and besides, you don't want to get a nice car like a Camaro or Trans Am and then watch the road salt rust it away.

Keep in mind though that when driving one, listening to Guns 'N Roses, AC/DC, Scorpions and other 80s rock is pretty much required for the full F-Body experience.

https://youtu.be/OI2COawqMJQ

• I voted B. Sleepers are the best. It's like having all the performance without drawing any attention from cops.

I drive a supercharged '99 Buick Regal with custom shift. I'm hoping to tweak the supercharger at some point to get some extra oomph. But it drives comfortable and fast, and is great for long commutes. Can't exactly say the same for my friends' Charger and Mustang, and my HP is right up there with theirs. For about $5K, not a bad experience.

If you are on the fence, get the cheaper car and use the extra money for upgrades, tweaks, and adding more features. For instance, I added a X2600BT radio, built a sub, added a rear-view camera, got an OBD reader, and swapped out all the lighting with LEDs. For less money than I would have spent for a newer Monte Carlo that needed more work.

• If I wanted to buy a performance car of some sort and was limited to under 10k I wouldn't worry so much about trying to get a 300-ish horsepower vehicle because of rarity and abuse it's likely been put through. I'd be looking instead in the 225-250 horsepower range such as 2002-spec Subaru WRX. I think that generation would be easier to come by than a good condition Camaro and the Acura is just too expensive to fix and too hard to get parts for I would think.

• The CL isn't that expensive to fix as long as it's not a clutch. Anyone, yes anyone can work on it since it's so simple. Yeah I was looking into WRX's as well since I like those.

• Go muscle. a 77 Trans Am.

cdn3.3dtuning.com/.../7.jpg

• I have 2008 infiniti g35x
    300+ hp
    Rear wheel but when I need it awd automatically. I can take turns 45-60 mph. Based on tires, road conditions, and layout.
    Luxurious interior. Lots you can tinker with. Check them out.

Others:
    2006 Audi a4 or a6
    02-06 BMW 3series- but many have them, but that's for a reason
    Acura TL- too Honda for me, but decent
    1999 Boxster- maintenance may be expensive...

• C4 Corvette
    i9.photobucket.com/.../...ertibleZoraDontov014.jpg
    Powerful enough.
    Handles like, well, a Corvette.
    Bullet proof reliability.
    Not a glorified Accord or Redneck lead sled.
    Like a Harley, you "belong" once you own one.
    Convertibles can be found for about $12,000 and even less.
    Fixed roof and T-tops much less.
    If you keep it up, it loses almost no value over time.
    The list of aftertmarket improvements is long..

• I do like Corvettes!

• Cheap too. There is a 89 C4 6 speed for sell here with 85K miles and the guy wants 4000 for it. And the 5.7 is obviously very easy to modify for more power although 240hp and over 300tq is terrible

• I'd say motorcycle but that may very well be out of the question. in this case just chase whats cheaper and more reliable for now, it won't be your last.

• I DO want a motorcycle, but getting one might be hard to come by and there's no way I could use it to commute anywhere but my 2nd job, since my first job commutes on an interstate that is largely dangerous to bikers.

• Ok your 19 what are your plans the next couple of years? Are you going to college? Working? How long do you want this car to last? You really dont want to be spending a lot of money on repairs and stuff. I know at 19 your thinking I am gonna get the car I want. Which is rightfully so but wjthin reason. Have you checked Kelly Blue Book on these cars? You really should go with a car that will last and preferable less then 150,000 miles. Also do you drive through snow and ice on the roads were you live. RWD cars aren't the best if you do. Which you have both FWD as your options. I have a 03 Impala that I have been driving for 8 years. Thats a Chevy so the camero might be good. I don't know much about Acuras and how. lomg they last typically. So I guess do your research before you buy.

• I have done some research and these were the best options I came up with for the money and my life situation. The CL is much more of an "adult" car though.

• Alright good :). I really wanted a Cadillac as my first car but my dad said I shouldn't (we butt heads so I said what does he know) so I asked around. Well back when I got my license this computer stuff wasntreallly out yet in older cars. You can buy used Cadillacs for the same price at what your looking at but the problem with them was that if something broke it just costs a little more to fix especially since Cadillacs are a higher model of car.

• Dude, I can get either of those for like $3000-$5000 each. You can do better. Just try craigslist, and you can find good deals if you're cautious enough.

Acura is way more practical and way more reliable. I think it'd feel quick enough too.

But are there any other cars you're considering? You have very similar taste to me, apart from not wanting a Miata.
    Also my brother has a 4th gen Camaro that he got for $5k and it's been reliable after he fixed the starter.

• Nah that one is not what I'm looking for, wrong transmission. There were other cars I considered, like a WRX, B6 S4, and 2nd gen Boxster. I just don't like the Miata because it's way too impractical and slow for my taste (I know speed isn't all, but I'm tired of slow now). If you have any suggestions please let me know.

• Well that was just an example.
      Acura Integra, Acura RSX, Nissan 300ZX, Honda Civic SI, Lexus SC400/300, Supra, Mazda RX8.

I don't know man. Most cars come in manual. Just shop around. Some with smaller engines still go quite fast, and accelerate quite fast...

• I hate new cars, I rather have the older of the 2 cars you shown. That darn computerized crap. I hate computers in cars. It makes them cost a bundle of money and expensive to fix. Just one wire and wamo! everything has to come apart!

-To think, that camaro

• That camaro will keep you poor. You cannot give me one I have had a few GM's and they are all pretty painted trash.

• Camaro with a v8 it is a gas guzzler and insurance will bite you in the ass.

For a first car pick the Honda. Or!

cdn4.3dtuning.com/.../6.jpg

Nissan 300 ZX Fairlady

This car is sporty, and is remarkably VERY reliable!!

• I'd say go for the Camaro! But if it was me an f250 would be my top.

• if i was u i'd buy da cheaper one bro... wot it matters is if the car works ;)

• The 4th Gen camaro

• LS1 Camaros have so much potential and are still fast by todays standards. And with a manual they were one of the few 90's cars with 6 gears and are quite frugal on gas when highway cruising. Also quite reliable. The interiors kinda suck though /:

• @front2back I don't think you can go wrong with the Acura but I would also suggest an older Lexus. They run forever and getting over 250,000 miles on a Lexus is very reasonable.

• I do like Lexus, just finding one that suits my needs might be tough.

• Get a car that is Pre Smog... Fuck all these newer cars and smog laws! lol but if those are your options, you'll have more fun building the camaro...

• I love this answer. While I understand the reason for smog, I really miss my old charger, since all it required was a safety inspection. Even my dad's 2005 Cummins diesel does not require a smog test.

• 0|0
    • Dude... those things are like $25k...
      Not saying it's a bad suggestion, Cobras are sweet! However I have a budget.

• oh, sorry i will admit i didn't read you desciption haha. Um i would say if you want more fun to drive car, go with the camaro, more practical i would say CL-S. My choice is the camaro sir!

• Ofcours the Camaro :D

I won't vote for other :D but for sure there is lots of other options too :p

• I would think the camaro has cheaper parts. Since aftermarket here seems to cater better to Detroit cars.

• camaro
    but don`t limit your options to only two cars dude

• I tried not to, but these were the best of many I found.

• good you narrowed it down

• Yeah I had MANY options, but after evaluating price, reliability, practicality, and other factors these were the ones I narrowed it down too.

• Ok if you're going to buy something around the 4k price point, I would get a truck because you will need to fix a lot yourself and you'll need the groudn clearance and space.

• I'm at the $5k-$10k price point. I don't need a truck, I've considered one before but unles its a 4x4 off-road type of truck no me gusta.

• At 10k you can buy an M923 :)

• Choose Japanese. Oil isn't going to be this cheap forever.

• Camaro thing!

• I'd go old school big block

• I hate Chevy's but I would still go with it over a jap mobile.

• The camaro seems a lot but gas could be an issue. are you open to some cheaper alternatives or no?

• Take the Camaro.

• More from Guys
    10