Why the hell is Detroit so messed up? Why is their crime rate so high?

Most Helpful Guy

• Many ignorant people will say "Because of black people". However the cause is much more deeper then a simple demographic.

Detroit from 1910 to 1950 was synonymous with automobile and their economy was thriving off of it. However, these industries in an attempt to avoid paying higher taxes and wages begin to outsource jobs to other countries or areas outside of Detroit for a much cheaper price. This caused the job opportunities in Detroit to decline. With the decline of job opportunities along with rising racial tension and race riots between blacks and whites, the affluent members of the city begin to flee to the newly devlop suburbs.

With the affluent members of the inner city gone this left the uneducated, poverty stricken citizens stuck in the city by themselves. With no job opportunities on the horizon, there were no chances of advancing up the social later. With no other perceivable option left, these poor people begin to resort to crime and reliance on gangs and drugs.

Corrupt politicians would then give the non-affluent citizens false hopes of increasing their financial state in an attempt to get elected into office. Once in office these politicians didn't do shit. Matter of fact they exasperated the problem by hemorrhaging money from the city in an attempt to fill up their own pockets. With little help from the State and the Federal Government, Detroit began to plummet to its now current state.

So corruption, outsourcing of jobs, racism, white flight, black flight, no aid from state/government and the fleeing of businesses elsewhere are all the factors that caused Detroit's current problem.

What Girls Said 5

• I mean the last two times I've been in Detroit it actually wasn't bad at all. Granted, I was on the wealthier side of Detroit (Bloomfield Hills).

I dunno, I'm definitely thankful to have been born and raised in Grand Rapids instead of Detroit, though.

• Isn't Detroit the city that went bankrupt?

• I believe it did, yes.

• True. But there is changing the future - for the better.

• Yes, and there is always hope for that until everyone dies or leaves.

• Whoa, whoa whoa. Hold on. Detroit isn't messed up, first of all. They are simply one of the most popular states known for not having enough jobs or being held of discrimination against them. Second, they aren't messed up. They are trying to make a living for themselves. Finally, their crime rate is high because they have to result to things in order to survive. I am not defending crime, I am just saying your words could easily offend someone who was from Detroit.

• Detroit isn't a state. It's a city. Crime is never the answer, no matter what. If I was in the same situation, I still wouldn't commit crime.

• I would highly doubt so, but keep your wording correct.

• You can doubt all you want, but I know what kind of person I am.

• Because no one has jobs there or an education. They don't give a fuck

• because it is a cesspool of corrupt politics and liberal policies.

• Well, it's not just in Detroit. Corrupt politics and liberal policies are also in Washington (DC).

• yes. I think you can look at Greece and Detroit and see the US in the future... if we don't change US economic and domestic policies.

What Guys Said 13

• If and when an MF ain't got shit, guess what? They're going to go try and get it at any means necessary. Which is usually via committing a #crime. Since they ain't got anything better do nor #Hope because poverty is a bottomless pit like Twista them said LOL.

• I"m from St Louis so I know that 1st hand LOL

• Maybe I will.

• Correct. But I can if all they will do is commit crimes just to get what they want and won't be willing to work for it - at least honestly. You won't start at $15 an hour. Everyone (including myself) starts at the bottom. I started at minimum wage (7 even, to be exact). People need to work at it. If they want to make more, then move up. Transfer to a different department. Take a promotion.

I don't have a high horse. I wouldn't mind having a horse one day, but it ain't gonna be today.

• Poor governing > City declares bankruptcy > Public services unavailable (You litteraly can only call 911 at certain times of the day) > People can't get jobs > People resort to crime / drugs for money.

• "You litteraly can only call 911 at certain times of the day" Dang that's messed up and I never knew that.

• Detroit use to be an industrial powerhouse of the US, back in ww2 / Cold War Detroit produced almost all of Americas tanks, and when the level of industry was no longer needed, the factories closed and mass unemployment followed :/

• I'm guessing the rest of the country will be facing the same fate.

• For years it's had policies that have bankrupted its citizens. Middle-class or wealthy people move out. There is little reason to grow or even maintain a business in Detroit. The government that is elected in promises wealth to the lower classes, so the largely poor population continues to vote them in.

Crime is just a side effect of that. It's a problem not unique to Detroit. It happens in many large cities.

• Adam Jensen hasn't been born yet.
    www.quickmeme.com/.../...224a7bff26c17b3062275.jpg

• For as many reasons as you want it to be, depending on how deep you want to get into it. If you have a bias, it will be for simple reasons, blamed on groups you don't like.

But in my view, the corruption had something to do with it, both public and private sector. Also didn't help that the manufacturing sector left that place jobless after they shipped all the jobs overseas, after getting tax breaks and promising jobs.

• The bankruptcy might have a lot to do with the current crime rate

• Back when Detroit had a riot in the 70's businesses move out after that and it never been a lot of jobs there. So people will take to survive, sell drugs, or hustle and all of that come with violence.

• Corruptions

• Hood rats hood rats

• They need batman

• Black people, amirite?

• I don't know. I don't live there. Blacks live other places, not just Detroit.

• Well the Death of Detroit is actually a very complex issue that's been in the making for years based on a lot of fragile decisions but I'm positive this is not the place for intelligent socio-economic discussion so... Ja ne.

• I would rather have the conversation. I guess I gotta go look somewhere else for it.

• Grab a snack. You'll need it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw

• There's a line here where I live, Cleveland, that goes "Cleveland, at least we're not Detroit". You have to understand the midwests history, in order to understand why Detroit and Cleveland, are so bad, Detroit being worse