Is "cultural appropriation" becoming an excuse to bully people?

So this is at SFSU and this woman, Bonita Tindle, was telling him he can't have dreadlocks in his hair because of her culture. He clearly stated that other culturres had dreadlocks before Africans did (which is true).
He tries to go away calmly and she keeps trying to get him to lash out. If you freeze the video at certian points you can see her smiling and very much enjoying this. The tone of her voice also makes it seem like she's not truly angry, but just wants to annoy him. She is trying to get him to lash out so she can probably report him or something. He was very calm and tried to get out of her way but SHE was the one who put her hands on HIM.
Is the excuse "cultural apropriation" becoming an excuse to bully people now? Will anything be done about this because she is a woman putting her hands on him, rather than the other way around?

by the way, her name "Bonita" takes from Spanish culture, so she should check herself if she thinks with that logic haha :P

cultures*

Most Helpful Guy

• it feels like it was just yesterday i was schooling people on here about how moronic the cries about cultural appropriation were when kyle jenner got some dreadlocks in her hair. This level of entitlement that people seem to have over how other people choose to live their lives is incredible. I could never imagine a scenario where i'd go up to say a white guy wearing dreadlocks and tell him to take it off because he's stealing a part of my culture. I mean what kind of degenerate garbage is that?

If im being honest, this is one of the things that make me a little weary of dating black women from the USA. Africans, no problem. I have a deep repulsion for hypersensitivity and over-aggressive behaviour, and i don't really like this stereotypical hyper-aggressive/hypersensitive version of black women the U. S. seems to be producing these days. I'd call this a one off, but i see it just way too often. Who was it again that stormed a Bernie Sanders event as if the guy was some KKK lieutenant? Ah yes...

What pisses me off with all of it is that real issues get buried under the rug. People take real instances of racism less seriously when they see black people honestly bitching and moaning like social degenerates over this cultural appropriation garbage. On top of that, these incidents only fuel the popularity of loonie toon characters like Donald Trump who promise to get rid of some of this PC crap. i swear, black americans in general literally have zero foresight with what they do. They vote in large numbers for hilary clinton, a candidate who polls worse than bernie sanders in a general election and is hated by so many people in the country... why? because she's a brand name and bernie is too foreign to them. So on top of pissing people off with this SWJ crap, they further increase the odds of a donald trump victory by giving him the best candidate to run against in a general election. lmao

I don't understand why so much of the most hypersensitive and regressive bullshit from the left these days has to come from the black community in the U. S.. If the black community in the U. S. were anything like the black people who populate some of the countries in Africa like Nigeria or South Africa, there would be much less of this regressive nonsense

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 40

• She's a Social Justice Warrior PC nazi. They're everywhere on college campuses and they're insufferable. She's full of herself and she's full of shit.

• what a bitch-a-roony-doony

• She's an idiot and should be expelled for assault.
    Funny how she talks about culture appropriation while living in a white culture, and living a life that wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for white people.
    She should go back to Africa if she's so concerned with culture appropriation.

Also, it's hilarious how some people say it's staged, but if the roles were reversed, no one would even think about that.

• There's no such thing as white culture. Race and culture are two completely different things. If anything this woman is misinformed, racist, or a little bit of both. She's American just like you. Her culture and your culture are American culture. She's NOT an African person.

• @Relentless_Hippie you know what I meant by white culture. I was referring to societies that are mainly white, which is the Western culture.

• My point is that she is a part of that western culture. She's just being a racist asshole. I'm not justifying her actions but what you said was incorrect. That western culture is her culture as well. She isn't from Africa, she's an American just like you.

• This was dumb as hell. The PC shit is getting out of hand. Worry about people with hate and ignorance in their hearts and actions, not some college stoner that smells like patchouli. In a multicultural society, we should all be allowed to and expected to cross over and borrow from each other's cultures.

• Well the "dredlock"(jata in sanskrit) style was also known as the polish plait, common in prussia two thousand years ago. In fact plaiting ones hair was done in many places at many times. So thats not even cultural appropriation even if one could rationally argue that cultural appropriation was wrong (or even unavoidable). It is and always has been a form of bullying. If we really removed everything from our society that did not come from another culture we would be in the stone ages. The concept of zero originated from india, algebra (as the name al-gebra) as we know it was codified and expanded in the middle east. The scientific method was started in the middle east but was fully formed and designed in the west. English is a combination of English french greek latin so you would have to remove all of that. That girl is wearing clothing from the western culture so she would be the one "guilty" of cultural appropriation. The fact is the very notion is completely insane, how would a culture change and grow if it did not assimilate new ideas and thoughts? The only way to prevent that is to cut all ties with all cultures which would be detrimental to all because then knowledge would not be shared and we would stiffle intellect and growth on a personal social and cultural level. In short its used by people to try and act like a victim as if their "ideas" where stolen despite the fact that those things where never really theirs to begin with, they where borrowed from others and the people who came before them (did you know chitlins (pig intestines) and soul food in general actually originated in england? Same with the southern accent, it was originally derived/corrupted from the British when they first came to the americas).

• I don't know much about cultural appropriation, but the idea sounds very racist to me. The idea that only a certain race should be allowed to do something, should send up huge red flags to anyone.

In a campaign to end racism, we were taught that race is only cosmetic. If we accept the idea that race has anymore importance than that, then it allows racism to creep back into our society, reversing the progress we have made.

• The notion of cultural appropriation has always been an excuse to bully people.
    Both historically and in modern times, cultures have been shared and they are meant to be shared and appreciated amongst all kinds of people.

Most japanese people feel flattered when a white person wears a traditional Japanese garment, same with native americans and so on, it shows interest and appreciation. It's not a mockery.

On the topic of costumes, I don't mind at all. A white person can dress up as an indian if they want to, it's not racist or appropriating a culture, it's just a costume and in essence, I see it as saying "this is cool, I want to pretend to be that on this day".

• It's an excuse to hate on white people, because they're the only ones that ever get shit for it.
    Sorry, if you wear an Indian headdress at a Halloween party it's not offensive. Everyone knows it's just a costume you think looks cool. It's not like you did it on an Indian reservation in an insulting manner. Because that's what is required for it to be appropriation. That you are doing it for purposes of belittling.

• ... those are university students?
    ... those are university students.
    static3.gamespot.com/.../...0-3489177503-2yybk.gif
    Congratulations, I didn't think people like this actually existed- I thought these people just things people complained about on the internet- but apparently they do in fact, exist.

Cheers to the guy filming though.
    "Why are you filming this?"
    "Just, everyone's safety" Top kek right there ;)

• This is what I hate about cultural appropriation. It's very tribalistic mentality, it is promoting division. I have always liked braided hairs myself since I was 9. I wished to wear it but doesn't suit. Anyway with this so called 'appropriation of culture', even liking thus sporting a hairstyle that 'belongs' to another culture is wrong... Like it's a trademark belonging to one tribe only and you need a permission from that tribe or a copyright licence to wear it lol... That's just pure utterly fresh droppings of bovinae!!

• Having greasy hair is cultural appropriation? What the fuck?

It seems to me it's just an excuse for her to attack white people.

• Hahaha! Well, the next time I see a black girl with straight silky hair I may as well tell her she's going against my culture! 😂

Anyway, she's a stupid cunt. His hair is none of her business. Black women are seriously some of the most touchy species on earth.

• Well race and culture are two completely different things, which makes this woman and idiot because she's incapable of realizing that. She's probably just racist and hides it behinds terms like "afrocentric" even though she isn't even African.

• I don't really take the complaint of 'cultural appropriation' seriously. It seems like an example of creating offense where none is intended (i. e. political correctness gone mad).

I don't think anything will be done as she's a black woman and he's a white male.

• This was so cringeworthy that I barely made it past the 30 second mark.

That cunt was so full of herself that her ass hairs probably have the same hair style.

• She's a loony and terminally stupid. Don't be drawn into her bullshit by trying to make any kind of political point. She was essentially bullying him. I feel a bit sorry for the guy since it seems he's unable to defend himself physically.

• this whole cultural appropriation nonsense will blow over eventually. cultural homogenization is inevitable.

• yeah when did they create this term?

• @WombRaider Multiculturalism implies mutliple cultures, that is multiple cultures existing side by side, homogenization would mean the fusing of all cultures into one cohesive culture, one which would belong to everyone with no division.

• glad my assumption was correct

• Nah that person is just a crazy psycho and has nothing to do with cultural appreciation.

• Fuck no, that broad is off her rocker. That isn't cultural appropriation. Before this show down apparently she followed him up 2 flights of stairs

• This regressive leftist thing has got to be a mental illness.

• All social justice is is an excuse to criticize people for being individuals. SJWs are almost always worse than the people they address. Cultural Appropriation is definitely a bullying tactic.

It's the kids who were too small to be bullies in elementary school that become SJWs, and since they can't be violent as adults they'll just make everything into a big fucking issue.

• They had dreadlocks in Ancient Greece, so her point is invalid.

Cultural Appropriate is becoming something people use to look for something to be offended about.

• It isn't about cultural appropriation, it is about a culture of violence and intolerance in the black community in the US, crime statistics show this.

• I would've falcon punched that woman

• I do not know what a falcon punch is, but the instant that she laid a hand on me she would have bought herself a ticket to the ER.
      When I am not teaching English and history, I teach karate.

• @cth96190 falcon punch is an ability used by Captain Falcon in the Super Smash Bros. franchise game starting on N64 I believe. the reason people use this as a reference is because in the game it is a very hard hitting ability that generates a lot of damage points percentages for 1 move. think of it as a haymaker in terms of reality.

• The other guy looks like the gay Mr Gadget.

• Big fucking surprise... Guess what, this is what you get when you kowtow to the people who think that *their* feelings and views are more important than *your* freedom. I'm afraid it might be too late to do anything about it now.

• Who cares?

• The typical SJW
    A dumbass bitch

• "Becoming"?

• The better question is, why would he even wear dreadlocks in the first place? That's so backwards, tribal, savage, and ugly.

• If you keep running into blacks like these no wonder people learn to be racist.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 23

• Oh, that's just too far. I'm Native American, so I've seen my fair share of cultural appropriation, but I would never call someone out on it. I mean, my friends and I will probably make jokes about you behind your back, we might punch each other every time we spot a white girl with a dreamcatcher tattoo like a game of punch buggy, and we might roll our eyes, but it's not offensive to the point where I feel the need to confront someone or even put my hands on them. People have every right to dress the way they please, I would just ask that it's done with sensitivity and some education.

• I don't understand that mentality. Don't you want to share your culture? Why would you mock any one who takes part in "cultural appropriation"(which you and every other human being does, its impossible not to when you interact with any one not of your culture) isn't that a sign of them respecting at least apart of your culture?

• Wait your not like avatar?(kidding :D ). I guess I get that but I don't really understand why it would be offensive (to be fair I am rarely if ever offended by anything so long as its not intentionally insulting, and even then it usually doesn't bother me). I would just take it as an opportunity to discuss the topic which I think is far better, the worse thing in my opinion is when a culture shuts themselves off from the rest of the world. Thats just ensuring a slow death of the culture. You cannot stop change it happens with or without your consent but by being involved you can steer it a direction that is more favorable. Kind of like how they forced the "fighting illini" to change because it was "offensive: to the illini indians (despite the fact that they got permission from them). Its was chosen as their mascot because it signified strength and determination yet by removing it, its like they are asking to be forgoten. I don't understand that.

• I mean we do this for a lot of cultures, like st. patricks day, you don't see irish screaming about how its cultural appropriation (technicly it was celebrated completely differently in Ireland, one the irish came to america it became more a gathering of irish and kind of a preservation of culture as much as a relgious holiday). Namely I think because its an embrace of the irish culture and honestly gets people a greater chance of actually learning something about the irish (technicly cornbeef and cabbage was actually jewish not irish, it just happened to be cheap and the irish where poor which is how it became equated to them). So, yeah I guess the more people talk about it the better in my opinion, you may have to dispell a lot of ignorance but better then remaining silent and letting that ignorance run rampant. Though that might just be a personal thing.(I tend to grill everybody for what they know). So may I ask what specificly you are (group/tribe etc)?

• First of all, Afro-Latinos exist, so I don't see why you have a problem with her name.

Regardless, I do not agree with the way she just stopped him randomly, for no reason, only to antagonise him and make him feel bad for having dreadlocks in his hair. I personally don't have a problem with people taking elements of a culture and incorporating it into their persona, as long as they understand the history behind it and do it tastefully and non-offensively. No one has the right to police what one can and can't wear, regardless of it being cultural appropriation or not. If someone wants to wear a bindi and they're not Hindu, that's okay. If a Muslim woman wants to wear a hijab, that's okay too.

• Well, the dred lock was reffered to as the polish plait (prussians wore it frequently as did many nordic/prussian clans/tribes), jata in sanskrit ie its found pretty much everywhere it did not originate in africa its from everywhere, but does any of that actually matter?

• You do realize that rastafarians "appropriated" dreadlocks right? They were inspired by the Nazarites. The fact is that the people policing ithers about appropriating culture often don't even know about it themselves. Why should we invoke a double standard on people because they are outside of that culture. Do you think everyone who is black and has dreadlocks knows the history of them? No. But it's okay because they are black, right? That kind of destroys the argument that it is culturally significant.

• @Doofey That's why it's called cultural appropriation, not racial appropriation.

• TBH, I don't understand people ho get offended because of "cultural appropriation" or whatever that is. As long as some culture is not trying to steal my culture I'm all good.. I actually find it flattering when someone appreciates some elements of my culture.
    For example yesterday the lady (white French) at the reception who had to check my card for the library was wearing North African jewelry, she asked me from which part of Tunisia I was and she happened to love Tunisia and she goes every 3 months, I didn't feel offended that she was wearing traditional Tunisian Jewelry, I was actually flattered that she appreciates an element of my culture.

• 1. The seems staged.
    2. Staged or not, how he wears his hair is nine for her business.
    3. The amount of "go back to Africa" comments is of no surprise. y'all are just as bad as she is.

• Can I ask why you think it's "staged"?

• Exactly, they can dish out what they can't even take themselves.

• @itsallover yup. It never gets old on here. God forbid you have an opinion on something as a black person. Especially a female. You're automatically labeled as angry and bitchy. I'm beyond sick of it. Oh but wait, let me not complain. Then I'll be labeled as a victim.

• Oh yeah I remember the time I had box braids and some black girls decided to give me shit for it on Twitter saying I was appropriating their culture like wth? And the best thing was two of them actually had weaves in so how about that being culture appropriation then? so ridiculous 😂 But what I don't get is there's actually quite a lot of black peope from France and Africa in my country and they all were totally cool with my hair or even complimented me for it? Seems like that is an American only problem..

• No, it's not an excuse to bully people. And you can tell that she knows that when you see the horrified look on her face when she notices the guy filming it.

• www.electronicbeats.net/.../...erp-13602815150.jpg
    Cultural appropriation is wrong can someone please break it to Beyonce.

• Is this bitch stupid. Wearing a certain hairstyle because you like is not cultural appropriation.

Cultural appropriation typically involves members of a dominant group exploiting the culture of less privileged groups — often with little understanding of the latter’s history, experience and traditions.

Also there is no such thing as white or black culture.

• Lol she's stupid. Race and culture are two completely different things. She's American and last time I checked American culture shared just about everything with everyone in the world. She isn't African.

She's just racist, it's as simple as that. ALL races can belong to ALL cultures. Race and culture are different, NOT the same.

• well then, i think that the white guy seems like an annoying hippie and the black girl is one of those afro-centrics who talk about how ancient egypt was black. this kinda seems staged and i doubt that's "assault" rather than simple pushing around. cultural appropriation seems annoying and i'm glad i don't have to deal with it but i would never yell at someone for it although she didn't seem like she's yelling.

• yeah i re watched it and this is SO staged, LOOK at the way his arms are moving at the beginning as well as his voice being clear so to be heard by the camera's microphone then running off before there is a real argument.

• the answer is no!

• This is what SJWs do. They provoke people than cry victim when people respond.

• This seems staged but in case it is not, it was stupid of her to attack him. I don't attack black girls who straighten their hair because straightened hair is stereotypically white girl culture. Hopefully this girl faces proper punishment for attacking him.

• Why does it "seem staged"? This is a very common occurence in Universities across the US and in the UK. Mizzou Uni is another example I've heard a lot about.

• You've haven't answered my question, why does it "seem staged">

• @WombRaider I don't know it just seems fake. In the past I have gotten upset by news stories like this just to find out how they were fake so I just try to consider that it could be fake. Even though it does happen but don't always make the news.

• Cultural appropriation issues are taken to an extreme. Lately everything is another races, for example people are saying Kylie Jenner is culturally appropriating African American lips, like wtf, she just got some big lips.

• absolutely. No one owns a hairstyle. No one owns a dress or a material or a look. People are assholes

• Yea, this chick is an extremist. like you got feminaZis , lgbt extremist, religious extremist, political extremist. Some people take their " victim claiming " to a whole other level. Unfortunately, this will get more common with the lgbt people talking a out hetero and cis gender privilege ( cause it's a privilege to not be gay or have gender dysphora ) or white privilege ( which is is real but blown out of proportion )

• Your use of quotations and calling it an excuse over one video shows that you have a limited view of what it actually is. You can't just take one video and call it cultural appropriation when you don't even know what it means, and yes there are afro-latinas.

• It's not like she patented the dredlock hair style... sheseshhh

• This bitch is a straight up cunt and yes, cultural appropriation is becoming an excuse to bully people.

• Weird because she doesn't even have dreadlocks.

• All I can think is how much of a hypocrite she is

• She is such a bitch, she needs to get beaten.

• Is this real? Cuz to me, they kinda sound like they are acting...