Why does someone apologize after 2 years?

My ex apologized me 2 years later .. why is this?

He basically screwed me over so bad .. he broke up with because he liked my best friend.

He messaged me over the summer saying that he is sorry and it was messed up and dissent about the situation and he had no right to treat me like that and his apology doesn't excuse him for his actions.

I asked him why he decided to apologize now and he replied because I have always felt bad and just now had the courage to do it.

Was he being sincere?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 2

• This gets complicated because we're not mind readers. If his intent was to desperately get back with you then perhaps his apology was not sincere. If his sole intention was for your forgiveness and that means, just, your forgiveness alone, then he is being sincere. He was in a relationship with you but developed feelings for your best friend, so If I was in this situation, I would be more careful in letting this man back into my life. You are absolutely right that 'his apology doesn't excuse him for his actions". So remember, you can acknowledge that he apologized but analyze his actions and be careful.

• Thank you! And no he wasn't aiming to get back together just the apology. Nothing more. I haven't talked to him since and I'd rather not stay in contact with him, I feel like he is kinda scared of me? What do you think? But anyways, he is not worth my time and he doesn't deserve me to be in his life. But I mean I do forgive him we were young and he was immature. Life goes on and everything happens for a reason!

• Selected as most helpful

Better late than never sometimes. Coming from a guy, some guys don't like rejection and I can tell you that it took him two years to finally say sorry. I did the same too to a friend I walked out of because he pissed me off for the last time, but I decided to bury the hatchet two years later. He never forgave me, but I took the step just to show my maturity and introduce Christ into his life (yes, it was Christ that changed me). Yeah, its hard, my friend turned everything around and blamed me for everything. But apologizing is a huge step these days, especially nobody knows how to say it anymore. True that some people don't want to remember the past, but saying sorry means showing respect and that the person still thinks of what he did to you. It shows he is human and he is willing to apologize rather than running away forever and never saying sorry for hurting you. Like I said, sometimes better late than never. Its all a part of growing up. If it makes you feel good, I had a friend whom fought with me in high school and apologized to me 10 years later. Its never too late till you are 6ft underground. Always forgive even if it takes time.

• probably. the guilt apparently was eating him alive and he was relieved to apologize for his past actions.

• i would say he was definitely uncomfortable.

• Oh and one more thing .. He got a new girlfriend and the first time I saw them together they were holding hands and as soon as our eyes met he let go of her hand and walked the other way and the girl just looked at me and I looked at her and then him .. it was very awkward.

What was going through his head? Did he feel uncomfortable?

• Thank you, Yeah me and all my friends were SO surprised he apologized. He got what he deserved. I completey ignored him, I acted like I never met him , I never said ONE word to him about it, I acted like I never cared .. it was so hard but it was worth it.

• Show Older