No label relationships. Have you ever had one? What is your opinion on them?

No label relationships are relationships that are romantic or sexual in nature, but it has no definition. Meaning you and the other person haven't defined it as monogamous, open, committed, etc. Even though there is something between the two of you. What is/was your experience with a no label relationship?I'm currently in a no label relationship. We both agreed that we don't want to date, but we also don't want to stop what ever it is that we have going on. We have an emotional and sexual relationship. He gets really jealous/possessive when I see other people and refuses to get involved with anyone else. I wouldn't call it "complicated" but it defiantly is strange. I don't believe that I owe him monogamy since, our relationship doesn't have a title, but I do believe I need to take his feelings/thoughts into consideration. However, I'm starting to believe that I'm simply not a monogamous person. We have a great relationship that I am happy with, but it certainly isn't going to last for ever.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• You should both be in clear agreement of the monogamy aspect. I'm sure it can work if both people want the same thing and have the same ideas of right and wrong. I've been in a similar situation and it was terrible for me. I didn't want to sleep with other people and he wasn't sleeping with others either. The thing was that it was him that put the barriers up. Then inevitably came the thoughts of..."well what's wrong with me?", "why won't he call me his girlfriend?", "why does he make an effort to be cold and distant?". By that time I had invested my heart to a certain extent. I could have gotten out of it with some of my dignity, feeling rejected, inferior and heart broken. Instead like every idiot who feels rather than thinks I tried to make it work and it just hurt more and made me seem crazy. So I left with all of the above doubled minus the dignity. That was over a year of my life spent crying, beating myself up and waiting for any sign that he actually liked me rather than just thinking I was handy to have around. I was depressed the whole time and as soon as I walked away the depression lifted. I'm not proud of myself but I guess it was a lesson overdue.

What Guys Said 3

• It sounds silly. Even though you haven't defined it, this is an open relationship.

• He is lying to you or lying to himself. If he wants 100% commitment he should join the label club. My guess is he knows where you stand...you sound confident, so he is just saying he is okay with the no label thing. That said, he may be hyper jealous and possessive and yet, conscience that you don't want to label. Sex is sex. He doesn't own you. If he has a problem with it...he can label himself as a former.

• I've never been in one.I think it'd probably end up being too complicated and I'm a fan of monogamy. It feels morally wrong for me to be with multiple people at a time. Of course, I also used to imagine just settling down and having a family. So yeah, I don't think it'd work for me, but regardless of my opinion and how I feel about it, I suppose it works for some people sometimes, it's just not my personal cup of tea.

What Girls Said 7

• Yep. He wouldn't make it official or label us and then got mad at me for "cheating". Like how does that work?

• I think one of you will end up hurt since you haven't really defined boundaries and you feel it's okay to date others while he's possessive.

• I like the idea of a labeless relationship, and am in one right now. takes the pressure off both parties, but still lets you guys have all the perks if the feelings are mutual.Of course I think it's crucial if you two have no label on the relationship to decide from the get-go if it will be exclusive or not. That's where most people would end up getting heartbroken. If one of you has another person on the side that technically would be allowed, as you're not in an official, classic relationship.Clear up the exclusivity issue and it should work just fine. :)

• I call these kinds of relationships mostly a waste of time. People who can't decide if they are in or out aren't worth my time. They are out to take advantage.

• I recently answered someone else's question like this. From my experience, the only time this happened to me was because the guy was still hung up on his ex and didn't want her to know about me, wanted to fool around with other girls but keep ME exclusive to him, or he had severe anxiety issues which led to commitment issues. None of these ended well. I was in the exact same situation you were in several times, and now it's either boyfriend/girlfriend or strictly an open hook-up buddy thing for me. I'm not saying one of my experiences is happening to you, but I'm just sharing.

• My boyfriend at first didn't want to label the relationship because he had just got out of a long-term relationship. I feel it's an excuse for not knowing exactly what you want. If you don't know what you want then I it's not fair to leave the other person out.

• I'm currently in one and so far things are going quite well, we pretty much just go with flow and do whatever feels right at the moment. The only issue right now is that since we never discussed what we are or set boundaries I don't know wether or not its okay to see other guys well guy but I guess since we're not technically dating I can and he could to if he wanted to I really wouldn't have a problem with it