How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Ex

Break-ups are hard for everyone, but obsessing over your ex won’t do you any good. It won't bring them back and it certainly won't make you feel any better. Here are some tips to help you get over your ex, crush or even someone who just doesn’t feel the same way you do.

How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Ex

Don't look for excuses to run into them

Sure, you may know where your ex is on Thursdays at 3:45, but that doesn't mean you should go there. This will only creep them out and make them think you're crazy.

Think about their negative qualities

No one is perfect, especially not your ex. Maybe Suzy talks during movies and John is picks his teeth at the dinner table. Focus on all the things that bugged you about your ex that'll help you move on faster.

Don't stalk them online (or offline)

Discovering that Suzy is already dating someone new will NOT make you feel better. It will only make you more upset. So after you break up un-friend Suzy on Facebook and un-follow her on Instagram. This will keep you from checking her profile constantly and accidentally liking one of her pictures.

Get a new hobby

Immerse yourself into something new; learn a new language, start crocheting or get a pet. Pick something time consuming and before you know it you'll forget all about your ex.

Date someone else

If getting a new hobby doesn’t work for you try dating someone else, someone who is the complete opposite of your ex.

Avoid things that remind you of them

Avoiding things that remind you of your ex will keep you from thinking about them and all the good times you had together. Watching the movie you saw on your first date will NOT make you feel better.

Hangout with your friends more
Getting out of a relationship gives you more time to spend with your friends (especially friends you may have alienated). Have lunch with your BFF, call up an old friend or go out and make new ones.

Remember boys and girls, lovers come and go but friendships (and animals) are forever.

39

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sure you've already heard this before but the best way to get over ex-boyfriend or girlfriend is to find someone new. When you are alone, all you can do is think about that person and miss what you both shared. but when you're out with someone new and they're showing me new things, do you tend to forget all about that other person. I don't know if you've heard this before and I'm sure you probably have but you should really consider trying it out if you haven't. That's how it was with me. The more I was alone the more I missed her. Maybe my never forget him, but sometimes you have to force yourself to move on because the world never stops for anybody or anything. Not me, not you, not my feelings, not your feelings, not anybody's feelings. The sooner you find someone new or something better to occupy your full attention thsn the sooner you can put him to rest. I just got a tattoo not too long ago. It says You Can Look Into The Past But Becaful What You Stare At. I got that because I ise to look into the past and stare at moments I once shared with a girl I dated and loved for 5 years and I use to imagine how amazing my life would be if I didn't lose her behind my own stupid actions.

(No I didn't cheat, I just didn't give her the time and the attention she needed from me because I was Soo young minded and stupid)

• Yes, it helps YOU to go for a rebound... but what about the one being your rebound?

• PT.3 ENDING.
      These women have left their mark on my soul and the first one, my first love, she left the biggest mark of all. I hate to say it this way but, they will never be forgotten, only replaced... I can't live in the past if I want to be happy and start a family with someone new in the future.

I'm soo sorry k wrote this much. I'll understsnd Jf you refuse to read it lol

• Me, too! !! She is my first love. I don't know how to love her, and spent less time on her. I am too Young , and stupid.

Most Helpful Girl

• My ex is playing me big time right now so I've chosen to stop all contact until he gets his act together.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 8

• Some really good points here, but I'd avoid dating someone new if you're still obsessing over your ex.

• Exactly, it's not fair to use someone as a rebound. I've been on the reboundee and was kinda in the rebounder position with the next person I dated. nits not good for you and it's not good for the person you're rebounding with.

• "try dating someone else, someone who is the complete opposite of your ex."
    That was a very good point.
    Dating someone having similar qualities like your ex will never let you to forget him/her and you will start comparing both of them.

• Cool article, keep up the good work ^_^

• I know that movie.. Ali Larter is such a dream

• really great..

• Great points and really good take.

Could you check out my question pls? I'm trying to get over a female friend who seems to be suggestive toward me?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1370383-is-this-flirty-female-friend-into-me-am-i-into-her-why-do-i

• You make some valid points. Some people who never get over their ex still get back with them. It happened to me with a girl who used me as a rebound. She got back with the ex she complained about and had been dating him on and off between relationships for the last 6 years. If that's not unhealthy then I don't know what is.

I agree with the social media bit. It's very counterproductive. All it does is make you more jealous and angry, even if they aren't dating anyone, but once they do, it hurts you even more.

• That girl looks like a psycho bitch who's assaulting him. lol I'd like to see him whip her with a belt!

What Girls Said 2

• I like this! Thank you for sharing:)

• Where was this 8 months ago? lol