Ladies; Stop Dating Broke Guys!

Ladies; Stop Dating Broke Guys!

I have had more than my share of dating men who are simply; broke. They are broke either because they are financially irresponsible; don't care to put in effort to get/keep a job, don't know how money management works, or simply lie about their status, as they don't care to invest financially into a relationship. They can be as they please, but women need to give themselves more credit!

Ladies; Stop Dating Broke Guys!

1. Women need to feel safe too

It's not that I view that it is the men's responsibility to take care of the woman, and be the main/only bread winner. It is that, women need to feel stability and comfort too. If it is just one source of income coming into the household, and the source is the woman- she will feel a huge pressure on her that he she needs to bring money in, or else no income, no family.

Ladies; Stop Dating Broke Guys!

2. It's nice to be taken out once in a while

Everyone, whether it is a woman or man, like to be taken out on a date sometime. It doesn't have to be over the top and fancy, but the gesture is certainly appreciated. If a man can't even get his act together to find a source of income to take his woman out, then it really is unfair to the relationship.

Ladies; Stop Dating Broke Guys!

3. Long term planning

It's hard to plan for the long term. Children? House? None of that is anywhere in sight when one person is supporting 2 or more people. Sometimes even if the relationship is good... if a person isn't motivated to take care of his family, then wasting time on this person shouldn't be an option.

2244
amandaschwartz is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• But then, you should also say that men shouldn't date broke women.
    Everything you said applies equally to women as much as it does for men.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've dated guys with lots of money who barely spend anything on me and broke guys who did everything they possibly could for me.. someone having money doesn't mean they're going to be generous with it.. plus going with someone for financial benefit is just gold digging.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 43

• The arguments for not dating so-called broke guys seem appealing, however, the subtext in each of them have a compelling counterargument as follows:

## Argument 1: "Women need to feel stability and comfort too" otherwise "she will feel a huge pressure on her".

The subtext is only women need to feel financial stability and comfort.

The argument fails to acknowledge for centuries men have bore the burden to provide for their families unquestionably, and the shame for failing to provide. Even more, too often the male provider is not even appreciated by their girlfriends or partners.

## Argument 2: "If a man can't … take his woman out … it is unfair to the relationship".

The subtext is, it is only unfair when a guy's financial circumstances does not permit him to take his girl out.

Wait a minute! At the onset of the relationship, surely the guy took the girl out for couple of dates; surely the guy paid for all the dates. Did the guy raise an issue of unfairness?

## Argument 3: "It's hard to plan for the long term"

The subtext is dual income-streams households are well-off compared to single income-stream households.

On the surface, it is easy to think dual income-stream households are financially well-off compared to single income-stream households. While in some cases that is true, in some cases that isn't true. You need to look at the respective income size of the earners. A single earner household could even be financially well-off than two or three earners-household.

However, there are individuals who loathe working, and make no effort to seek employment. If you're cautioning women [as well as men] not to date this type of people, your arguments make sense.

Nonetheless, a broke person has a lot to offer to a relationship other than income. There are many people who are happy to date jobless people because they bring attributes to the relationship that make them happy.

• People are broke because they were raised in a family that was broke. You honestly expect a 20 something guy who comes from a broke or even homeless family to have a good job & lots of money?
    You're spoiled, naive and sexist.

• You just HATE a guy that isn't perfect, don't you? He's a little sensitive? FUCK THAT! He's not rich? FUCK HIM! He is a little overprotective of me how every boyfriend should? GET OUT OF MY FACE! How many different posts of you bashing all kinds of guys have you made? Jesus Christ.

• All this editor does is bash men, hence why she was made editor and all her take get recommended.

• AKA gold digger. I don't blame you. Find a rich guy and live happily ever after.

Oh wait, weren't you the one complaining about selfish abusive and narcissistic behavior?

Cake and eat it. Yep.

• How did a troll become an Editor? You're always trying to rustle jimmies with your myTakes.

i0.kym-cdn.com/.../ce2.jpg

• Hey prostitute make your own money, take the man out for a change, Seriously though if you need a man to financially support you before you date and in turn sleep with him, you are literally by definition a whore/prostitute.

• This is a good take.
    For all you girls Guys too are adopting this attitude so if your wondering why no high quality men are neither untreated in you for an LTR or marraige using you only for a quick pump and dump it's because your broke and have no prospects. If you wonder why that chick who's not quite as hot as you has such a great guy it's because she has more to offer. Honestly most women these days need to bring more to the table if they want a good man.

• haha its funny when women say they're independent but say shit like this. why don't you go make a lotta money sweetheart

• on this I actually agree. and im a feminist. I stand for equality, not women over men either.

• I don't know... you can date any guy you want... just don't give him your money... stupid move if you ask me. Also, never borrow money to give him... that's the most stupid move.

Now, you don't want to marry broke guys... that's a much much better argument. There are stats to prove that marriages tend to last when a couple is financially secured.

• what's the name of that Kanye West song that was big around 2005-06?

I don't know why but for some reason that song plays in the back of my head as I read this mytake. but oh well at least you're be honest I guess, unlike the majority of women nowadays who talk out their asses and then lead the men they date into a brick wall.

the world needs more honest women like you! keep up the good work!

• I can agree with you that men should have some money to provide things like food, shelter etc. But if He doesn't have lots of money to provide a specific house or brand clothing than I think that's shallow and silly on a woman's part.

• Hahahaha, I'm loving your takes... and I should say I'm loving even more the angry reactions they are causing XD

Hey, do one about small penises next!

• Sweet ponies!

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a36676-find-someone-who-loves-you-more-than-you-love-them

Why should you be loved if you love the money and have a history of cheating in the past?
    Judging from what I have read from you, you appear to be the shallowest person I saw online.
    A man is not an emotionless money dispenser, who can't feel!

Really, at this point I do not know if I should feel bad for any of the men, who pick you as their date. I probably should not for a good reason.

• All of these reasons are the burdens that men bear right when they are born. Very selfish that some feel like they can't even do half of one of these reasons. But that is the typical man-hating era we live in now, unfortunately.

Do guys date rich girls? I'm not sure, let's ask all the stay at home mothers.

• I find this sexist, it you want to talk about equality, women should be responsible financially too. Be a good girl and don't be a gold digger now

• Okay, entitled gold digging cheater. Men, stop dating broke women goddammit.

• 1000's of scholarships just for women. Girls only leadership programs in every single school. How could this happen?

• Ah, I hear the trumpets sounding!

'tis the call to arms from the anti gold digger brigade!!!

Great take! Number 3 is golden.

• I am broke I dated only once to see how I feel and I felt like shit even she agreed to pay everything

• Gold digger. What if they get laid off would u still with him?

• This article reeks of entitlement.

• If a woman is broke its fine because generally men handle the financial situations though right?

• the guide to gold digging :D good job.

• I agree, don't date broke niggas.

• Why?

• Well no broke dick for you then!

• Crisp and practical.

• and be not conformed to the ways of this world

• Lol evidence that women can't shoulder the responsibility that men are expected to.
    Sucks huh?

• Selfish little girl
      "I wanna be taken out"
      "I want a family"
      "I want a house"
      "I wanna feel safe"
      " i need a man to give me these things"
      Also he needs to be handsome, come from a good catholic family above 6 ft 1, make more than 200k a year.

• My money managing skills are just fine. Being a university student means that you're broke. Vast majority of my money goes towards schooling and food, and rarely after that I might treat myself to something if I have the money. Finding jobs that work around your demanding school schedule isn't easy. Even when jobs are found you only have time to work part time around schooling. Not everyone is broke because they're to lazy to find and keep a job.

Though yeah you should date someone with ambition who's trying to do something with their life instead of just sitting around doing nothing. Though some people go through rough times and lose jobs bpdue to outsourcing or their company going out of business. Some people get laid off. Some people get screwed over by the company they're working for. Everything depends on circumstances. Stop being so shallow.

And yes articles like this are why I'm not currently dating. I don't have the time or money for dating currently and no I'm not looking for one night stands either.

• Show more from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 21

• Ehem.

As a broke person myself, I present to you this large and currently growing reason why a lot of people, both male and female, are broke:

www.nbcnews.com/.../student-debt-puts-damper-dating-after-college-n623871

Whether or not you'd still date a person in this position is up to you (and contrary to what the above article says about student debt not being a deal breaker... www.npr.org/.../call-me-maybe-when-your-school-loan-is-paid-in-full and https://www.democraticunderground.com/1002960334 ), but my point is your assumptions and personal experiences about why a guy is broke are not always right and, in fact, are increasingly incorrect.

For me, if you're an educated man who is broke for a more respectable reason like student debt and making sure your loans get paid, then I can deal with that, as long as I don't want to get married any time soon and you're working on paying the debt off. The more time goes by, the more this is going to be an issue for people dating in the US because student debt is common here. It's a bit ignorant to tell these people "I'm not dating you because you're broke, so that must mean you're stupid with money and can't keep a job" when all they did was buy into the quite common/widespread idea that college and advanced degrees open doors that they're no longer opening.

• Yeah, the US system of overpriced colleges and indentured servitude is quite baffling. What did you major in BTW?

• If one has a problem with student debt, then one chose poorly for her major and school.

Too many young people ignore that there is an enormous difference in earning capacity based upon what one majors in, and a secondary difference based on the school.

If one is dumb enough to attend an expensive private liberal arts school and major in English literature, then her school loan debt illustrates her stupidity. If one attends a mid-level state school and majors in nursing, then her debt may be four months of her new salary, and while the former is still paying, and paying, the latter can be making a 20% downpayment on her new house.

Few students understand that the value of a college education can vary so much based upon their own decisions, and they have no idea how to quantify that value to them.

• This is not fair to men - seriously you could have said almost anything ells and it would have not made women sound like golddiggers. It should have said 'Stop dating broke people' instead of just men - seriously women can be broke too and im sure men would find it nice to be taken out sometimes and feel protected and see a future with money. This is so dumb. I'd rather date a broke dude, than to be a rich dude dating you.

• None of your points make sense. The exact same thing would still be true with the genders reversed. Having the man as a sole provider would put a lot of pressure on him, why is that fine? Why is it not fine to have the woman be the sole provider?

Why do you think men don't want to feel safe, or be taken out?

• Because as I'm sure you know (since you're female), men don't matter. We are disposable utilities. We are ATM's, cannon fodder, Lifters of Heavy Things, walking sperm banks, and emotional tampons. The majority of men aren't even human (according to women). Women don't even see 80% of men, any more than they notice the tables and chairs in the corner of a restaurant.

It's OK to keep us operating under the old gender roles, along with a new set of rules and all kinds of laws that we can be prosecuted for with no evidence, merely a woman's word. After all, slaves have no rights, no personality, no dreams and desires of their own. They exist only to serve the Master.

• @Watermelon15

I agree with her too. Just answering the question she asked. I didn't say she was an idiot or a gold digger or anything. Just gave the answer.

• If he is broke and he has ambition and he is trying to do something with his life.. he needsa channce
    because there are guys (like Trump) who INHERITED theri wealth!!! that to me isn't sexy! I like a man who works and works hard for what he has and provides for his family

• He inherited 1 million and turned it into 13 Billion, he inherited only a small fraction of his wealth.

• Look at all the butthurt guys on this take lol. I dated a lot of broke guys and they just used me for money and went after other broke welfare queens. I only dated them because they were the only ones that approach me and I thought take what I can get, but now I would rather be single than date broke guys over and over and get treated like an atm. I'm not saying the dude has to be a millionaire, but at least have a job and some life goals. I won't even give a guy with no job the time of day, unless he's is actively trying to change his situation.

• If you're dating a broke guy and you're paying everything for him (and he isn't going to school and has no ambition and isn't contributing in any other way), then obviously that's bad.

But Nearly all the guys are agreeing though. What QA is coming off across as to many, is that sounds like a sense of entitlement that men have to pay for everything

• @juststrollin Exactly! It's so sad that the more ambitious/successful I am, the less men, especially less black men, that would be in my dating pool. Tbh I only care about black women making better choices when it comes to men. Period. Stop giving these broke dudes any time of day.

• @PurpleTeardrops2 and @juststrollin I was talking about this with my mom the other day. She was talking about how she makes more money than her husband it is constantly a battle. Before her husband, she was always with guys who made less money than her or wasn't making any at all. She doesn't regret dating them because they were nice guys, but she regretted being an enabler and doing everything for them.

• damn, that backlash... especially guys
    I agree, some women do need to find better partners.

• I can't see the point of long-term planning if a couple is only "dating."

• People are quick to cut to judgments. That's your own view and I respect that. People need to start respecting others opinions. Both genders need to contribute financially. If he is young with ambition and going to school, then being broke is normal. Once he gets a career and you too, both should put your part financially.

• I am not even going to read this my take, this is stupid

• Wow this was pretty awful!

• For the most part, yes. For the sake of not being barefoot and pregnant. Income on both sides is good.

• I see so many people are against this lol and I don't know if this is gonna make you mad or not but... It goes both way lol

• If you settle for a broke nigga you deserve whatever you get out of life! You wanna struggle, you wanna lack and be without and you want someone to drag you down. can't ever go on nice dates. Have to worry about bills. Get stressed out when unexpected expenses hit because you have no money. who tf would want to deal with that? and then women are not making it any better by settling and accepting the shit. thats why some men are so lazy now because they know some low self esteem desperate ass woman will accept it.

• LOL I can already hear the beta males and "nice guys" tapping away lmao.

• Surely all you can hear is the sound of change dangling in mens pocket as that is all you women are interested in.

• @independentman You need to see a psychiatrist, not a random on the internet

• Why? You know you sounded so mean to me

• Men are more valuable than his amount of money.

• Broke guys creep me out.

• I agree with you.

• I guess guys can never date broke girls?

• Wow.

• Well this is going to be incredibly difficult now, seeing that close to 60% of college graduates are women, and between the ages of 20-30, women are out earning men. So good luck finding a rich guy or even a guy who earns the same about as you if you're in your 20's ladies.

• i like broke guys