Nice Guys vs. Douchebags: What Women Really Want!

Have you ever wondered why women seem to love assholes? Have you ever thought about why this could be - perhaps just a woman’s nature? Or could it maybe have something to do with an extremely common misconception that people, especially men, have adopted?

I’m a woman who has been through all that, and I’m here to explain a few things to you gentlemen out there.

See the image above? Yeah, um... It doesn’t apply to the female gender.

It applies to everyone. Including men.

Let me rephrase that in a more technical way: Human psychology has a lot to do with getting others to like you. It means that humans are constantly trying to fit in; trying to be part of the ‘in-crowd’ whether they’re aware of it or not.

But what does this have to do with my topic?

There’s an article called The Basic Economical Psychology of Love and Desirability

This article talks about how people, naturally, are attracted to those who aren’t as “available” as the others. As it suggests, we as people “do not want a philandering partner, if we witness affections bestowed upon him or her by others, this, consciously or not, affirms our choice in a desirable mate, one with some measure of “demand.”” Basically, we value the people who receive most of the attention. And they receive most of this attention because they’re sure of themselves, and don’t depend on others to be liked.

What do you think the so-called “asshole” has, that differentiates from the stereotypical “nice guy” of our society?

Most people see someone specific and say - “This person is a bad person” but they forget to mention that they’re also incredibly funny, confident (which shouldn’t be confused with arrrogance) and outgoing. Are these asshole traits? I don’t think so. These traits, however, is what assholes tend to adopt. They tend to add these traits and blend them into their douchebag nature.

So which traits are the ones that are attractive to women (besides appearance, of course)? I’ll list them out for you.

- Confidence. This trait is attractive to both men and women. If a woman is confident in herself, men will be attracted to her. We all know this, but we put a blind eye toward it. Women who have low self-esteem are usually taken advantage of. But guess what? Men are also taken advantage of by women, if they lack this very important trait. It goes both ways, people.

From what I’ve heard and experienced, men don’t tend to take insecure and self-conscious women very seriously. Same goes for women! Confidence is a trait that is universally loved, it’s not exclusive to men.

- Extroversion. In this modern society, being extroverted means that you can easily establish social interactions with others without looking awkward. Extroverted people tend to have a lot of friends / acquaintances that like them.

- Someone who is comfortable in their own skin. Let’s face it, the stereotypical “Nice Guy” typically has a negative connotation because he usually is also a doormat, but he doesn’t have to be, though he does adopt this unnecessary trait. He’s a yesman, not an actual nice guy. Being nice is one trait of many that you can possess, in fact I think anyone with a brain can be nice. This doesn’t mean that every single person in the world will love you for it.

So what am I trying to let you all know?

Niceness can only go so far. But it desn’t mean we don’t want you to be. Niceness is something that you got to have, among other positive traits. Unfortunately, there’s a common belief that men hold: “Women love assholes, and they don’t like nice guys.” This is why nice guys only have that one single trait to give. If a man was nice but also confident, funny, loving, caring and good, believe me - women would be worshipping him 24/7. Of course, by being good I also mean he shouldn’t be philanderous just because women adore him now. It means he should keep his dignity and keep being the good guy he is, whilst receiving all the female attention he wants!

Personally, I know many nice guys who then, by receiving lots of positive female attention, they turn into players. It doesn’t mean he was always a player; it means he started out genuine, and then took the attention he received for granted. This is what you’re not supposed to do, because then no one will trust you at the end.

But I also know nice guys who are: smart, outgoing, charismatic and truly caring. These guys receive the most female attention, because they’re not assholes,but everyone wants to be with him. The difference between him and the nice guy who turned out to be a player, is that this guy knows how to choose women based on his values. He knows how to look at a woman, treat her as a person, and get to know her to see if she’s right for him, instead of carelessly jumping into bed together.

I’m not in any way condemning one-night stands, or the like, but respect is something that everyone deserves. You don’t have to be an asshole to get the respect you want. But you can add “confidence” to your list of traits.

Why don’t you be everything an asshole is, except for the “asshole” trait? That is, try to be sure of yourself (not arrogant), your authenticity and your social skills. But do not become a douchebag. It doesn’t work for you at the end.

So gentlemen, I hope I clarified a bit of what the differences are between an “exciting, nice and confident guy” and an “asshole, exciting and confident guy.” Believe me, the former is the best option to go for!!!

535

Most Helpful Guy

• I can completely understand the exciting versus boring aspect. There are a lot of "so called" nice guys that sound boring because they aren't spontaneous or willing to go sky diving on a whim (seriously... at least in my city). Where as the exciting guys who are willing to do any crazy exciting thing out there. They are the ones who astonish and amaze women, to the point where women want to be around them.

It just happens to be that exciting guys, tend to also be the assholes because they are there for the thrill more than anything. That isn't ALWAYS the case, there are a lot "nice" guys, who also love excitement. Most society notices the exciting assholes more often than not though.

• You’re literally one of the very few reasonable responses I got here. Very few understand what I’m saying, or they apply CLEAR logical fallacies to it and turn it around. Some men need to learn that women aren’t idiots who will go around chasing after jerks. They’re people who don’t like boring people. If a man chases after a woman who ignores him, he’s doing the SAME thing he’s criticizing her for. So what the hell?

• And the "nice+exciting" guys get snapped up early, so that leaves the "players" growing slowly more frequent in the dating pool! ;)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 34

• I totally agree !
    based on my share in relationships, I used to be a nice guy, every girl would've loved me at first then would either be my friend or wouldn't want to stay with me... I tried everything, and took me too much time to get to this point of yours ! It happened after I fell in love for the first time, I worshiped her and did everything, of course it ended up with me losing everything for her, crashed, lonely and heart broken... later when I asked her why, she simply said: you where too much good ! being with you was making me feel that I always owe you and never can be same, plus giving that you love me, I was certain you won't leave me no matter what so that pushed me to be bad and never think of what I say and do, and everything felt so boring and granted !
    after that I decided to be an asshole ! I stopped respecting women and I treat them as an instrument of pleasure, I would easily lie, ignore and even treat them bad, yet it pulls them more toward me and make them more passionate in sex !
    I swear if I show you my phone you would be shocked of how low some girls are getting ! some of them would even surprise you with their extraordinary beauty !
    I enjoy humiliating them, the craving look in their eyes, their tears, how bad they try to please me, the craziest things they would accept ! everything! i love and enjoy ! my life have became much successful and fun once i decided to put women in the lowest grade in my interests !

• That’s not the point of this Take. I’m sorry you think this way...

• ... LoL It actually does

• Gosh, seeing men talk this way breaks my heart. I'm sorry you aren't happy. Only hurt people hurt others.

• Except that the caring man will eventually become undesirable due to his perceived "availability" towards the female.

Assholeness is what actually works out in the end.
    Women have to be kept in a perpetually balanced state of just enough "undeservingness" lest they will seek out another more unavailable male.

The graph doesn't actually apply on men quite as well.
    It applies on women because for women seeking the most superior and sought-for male is both beneficial to her own well-being and it also guarantees a better, stronger offspring which makes a perfect sense.

Men have less of a drive to seek the most superior female, they have the drive to secure their own offspring and to seek the weakest female, one that their capabilities are going to be the most beneficial to.
    Which is why men are in general much more accepting of clingy, dependable partners and why they perceive small, petite women as more "feminine".
    Seeking a female that doesn't really need the man doesn't make a whole lot of sense to the man.

• ignoring a woman or (as I like to call it) “Playing hard to get” is not the same as being an asshole. An asshole disrespects, insults and treats women like trash. That’s not the same as playing hard to get. A guy who plays hard to get can respect a woman, can treat her with dignity, and he also loves himself for who he is. He doesn’t spend his time searching and chasing women because THAT is a turn-off.

So there’s a huge difference between being an asshole and a guy who simply isn’t

• And that is where definitions are going to vary.
      A lot of men would consider "playing hard to get" a quality of an asshole.

A lot of men believe you show women affection by being "available".
      They become attached to women and cater to them because care and affection is the only way they know how to "do love".
      Then they become heartbroken when they realize that care and affection is not at all what women want because in their head an available guy translates to a guy who they must be too good for.

And that is the whole issue.
      These men can't understand why being available and putting women on the pedestal doesn't work because to them it is just a genuine display of their affection.
      And then they see guys who rather go out with "their boys" than spend time with their girlfriends, men who according to their scale are nowhere near as invested in their partners as they are and yet they end up being replaced by them.

• That’s why the nice guy fallacy is utterly pathetic.

• As my homegirl @PrincessPie once said...

"anyone who constantly thinks they're owned something from society for no reason other than being a nice person is delusional "

Good Take.
    Some people wouldn't get it tho. lol

• Thanks! I believe many people simply read the first few lines and didn’t understand my point. lol

• Women today are a joke. They're just not worth it. For years women have been shitting on the good men but rewarding the assholes with lots of sex, love, and affection. I've done with women. They're horrible.

• Dude. 100% feel ya! On the same token, many women do in fact feel the same way about guys. Not chasing after women or being obsessed over them just makes us smarter. I'd rather smarts over sex any day. In the end, what's the better investment?

• @Goochbreaker Just pay for an escort

• What this MyTake refuses to take into account is that many women go weak over a guy who pursues them in a somewhat stalker-ish and/or psychopathic manner. With this in mind you can't go around saying that being a good-hearted individual is a definite bonus, as many of the things that make a good chunk of women breathless require you to see her as an idiot who doesn't know what she's talking about.

• “Many women go weak over a guy who pursues them in a somewhat stalker-ish and/or psychopathic manner..”

I’ve never heard of a woman (myself included) that starts to fall for a guy who stalks her in that way. Every single woman who has been stalked will either:

1. File for a restraining order against him
      2. Think of him as a creep
      3. Try to avoid him as much as possible.

(Or all of the above).

If a woman actually falls for a creepy stalker, she is 1 in 100 million women who will do this. She’s sick.

• I'll never understand why this is denied so often.
      Look anywhere in the media where romance is aimed at women.. women who claim to be able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality, but clearly can't.
      The theme is consistent.

• Maybe in the old-fashioned movies it is true where a guy throws a rock at her window to get her attention. But nowadays that is perceived as an extremely dated way to pursue a woman, hence not being attractive anymore.

This is denied often because it’s not true, at least in the 21st century, lol.

• My take away is that women find douschebags to be exciting, women will be attracted to a man that's a total asshole because at least, hey, he isn't boring.

• You clearly didn’t read this take. Lol

• no, a person in general is not attracted to an exciting aura. Most guys don't want that kind of woman at all, they want a submissive, feminine, generally docile, good mother good future housewife type woman. Fuck your exciting bullshit and fk all you women who want 'exciting' guys why don't you stop chasing a high and start thinking long term instead of short term gratification! You aren't just fking with yourselves, your fucking with the whole gene pool. Don't give asshole sex just because they are exciting is what us men are trying to say I guess, is that so crazy? Control your animal urges for the sake of preserving civilization!

• @Goochbreaker You're just a butthurt religious conservative. Men like you are brain-washed and narrow-minded. Lemme guess, you also believe in god right? LMAO

• I agree with some of this, but the core issue is really the lack of transparency. Somebody who carries a mask of appeasement and accomodation is unnerving. Whenever I come across a girl who acts like she's been traditionally brought up, doing all sorts of polite gestures on reflex, and asks me a lot of "interested" questions, it's really uncomfortable. Ick! I suppose that's the same thing.

Unfortunately this article also attempts social engineering which I find a bit disingenous:

"Why don’t you be everything an asshole is, except for the “asshole” trait? That is, try to be sure of yourself (not arrogant), your authenticity and your social skills. But do not become a douchebag."

This isn't good advice.
    The "nice" guy's, problem is already that he tries to assess who and what he should be rather than just be what he is, and you're handing him more templates? Okay, you can't be that level of ass who antagonise or victimize others (obviously) but what if he's just a selfish guy?
    in my opinion, he should rather then fully accept that's who he is, start to be transparent with it, and try his luck with similarly inclined women (who cares less and just want to have fun).
    If on the other hand he's actually a very moral and caring sort of person, he needs to solidify in that. Start holding others to this standard, which means pushing a lot of shitty people away.

But you have to go with whatever your true self happens to be in the present.

• What I meant was anyone can be confident. You just need to learn how to love themselves. Confidence is 100% obtainable by anyone and it’s not “putting a mask” on in any way, unless your fake it of course. But you can truly obtain it and make it one of your qualities

• I'm an introvert
    And I don't give a shit
    I'm awesome and people around me are awesome and that's all I care about

• Good for you :)

• Have you ever wondered why women seem to love assholes?

Have you ever thought about why this could be - perhaps just a woman’s nature?

Or could it maybe have something to do with an extremely common misconception that people, especially men, have adopted?

Easy. I explain it in this short Mytake.

Quit With The Stupidity! You're The One At Fault. ↗

• thank you for posting this. I read your Take and it’s amazingly to the point. I agree 100% with it. Men need to stop seeking the woman who ignores him! Because doing that, they’re doing the EXACT same thing they think we, as women, are doing!

If a guy chases after a girl who ignores him, he thinks SHE likes guys who ignore him. But no! HE likes girls who ignore HIM! They don’t apply logic in anything! And think they’re always right! it’s fucking pathetic

• guys who ignore her**

• No problem. 😎

• You’ve summed it up quite well. But you might have understated the importance of appearance though, with just that one bracketed line. The genuine asshole bar is raised far higher if she’s really attracted to him.

Many girls lack the confidence or willpower to turn an attractive man down no matter how he treats her. They are so insecure about themselves they never think they can find another like him.

• It’s the same for men

• right so if i ignore girls your saying that they will like me good take im now ready to go out there and get any woman i want!

• Aight, so if you chase after girls that ignore you, why are you complaining that women do the same? Isn’t it a little hypocritical?

• mhmmm interesting mytake this is what i have been saying all along, have these qualities and being an asshole won't really matter, girls dont like assholes, well some do but the majority aren't exactly into being treated like shit actually come to think of it no one wants to be treated like shit, but you gotta have some good qualities going for you to attract others and assholes seem to have them since they pretty much have nothing else going for them.

but i have to add that i did get female attention by ignoring them.

• I don’t agree with your final line. I think that anyone who has a human brain will be wondering about someone who ignores them, especially if it’s a crush. It’s not just women who do this

• the stereotypical nice guys are the kind of guys who are not nice, i prefer to be nice i like it actually its not a bad trait to have i dont think that women want an asshole who desrespects them , but they do want a man who values himself, who feels like a man and doesn't humilate himself or them , so yeah what you described fits me , thank you by the way.

i have to add though that despite getting a lot of attention from girls and never desrespecting any, lying or doing anything that could be taken the wrong way girls always end up playing games, hard to get and sometimes flat out insulting so i lose interest rather quickly, they think it makes them a catch but i just learned from dozens of interactions with women that once she starts with the games they are never over.

• I understand. Some women do love to play with a guy’s mind, but there are many others who are as direct as you can be. Not all women are like that, I promise :)

• Women are so easy to manipulate, I'm not saying men aren't either but if you say the right things and you're handsome enough they will buy anything you tell them.

• Really lol? I wish a man would try that on me. The only women that will fall for that is pushover women that hate their gender

• Essentially it comes down to a guy who is nice, but can also be a dick if necessary. Who is providing and protecting, yet a certain amount of adventure and threat to him.

• I am shy/awkward with most girls, however when I think I have a chance with a girl I go for it, and text her a few days a week to see how she is doing? So according to you I’m going to fail right?

• How about we stop caring what women want and throw a band on her pussy. Dealing with women isn't rocket science. They just want money and a man.

• Their is not really a way to make a introverted sober guy fun really especially if your bald and poor like me im basically fucked might as well chop my balls off

• Yea I totally agree with that. All though I should also add that part of attracting either gender is sparking an emotional response. For example:

"I'm a man and deserve to be treated as such. That means that YOU will be asking me out and YOU will be dining ME. Also, I'm sick and tired of women trying to get into my pants. I'm looking for an actual connection."

Got me 50+ Tinder matches in one week.

"Grad student, 6'3", bla bla bla, INTJ, looking to meet new people over the holidays bla bla" Only got me about 25 in one week. And yes, I keep track with a spreadsheet

• By the way, the same goes for men. Many men disapprove of blue hair on women and what not and yet some OkC study showed that these trashy women actually did significantly better than their more conservative competition

• who are who you are. just be yourself?
    if she like you that's good if not move on. you can't ask someone introvert by nature to change each have their own benefits?
    and the fun is depends on the type of girls? Real introvert girls maybe feel happy with extrovert guys at first. but after a while they get tired of it?

although i feel that usually if i like a person i'll never get her.
    if i don't like her. i seem to get her always?
    maybe if i don't like her i seem a bit more confident than i used to be.
    and i asked around to guys. they all feel the same about it.

• some are just not all that excitable nor all that confident-they got no reason

• Women love douchebags

• God bless, the down votes are all women... They are in complete denial xD

• That's OK, if I come off as a arsehole. It's better than being a nice guy!

I have seen many nice guys being 'friend-zoned'... And I have seen a lot of players/jerks get all the women!

• @MaximisPryme ok dude. Lmfao

• One need not be an extrovert to get women.

• Is that the only thing you grasped from the entire myTake? Lol

• I guess my observation is that one doesn't need to be an extrovert to be outgoing. One does need to be socially skilled and outgoing, but introverts often manage this just fine.

• Hmm, yes, nice observation. I should’ve said “Socially skilled ‘ Outgoing” instead of just extroverted

• great take. i will bookmark it :)

• Thank you! I’m glad you actually read through it and understood it. Sadly I see many people (especially men) that just read the first line and immediately come to an illogical conclusion lol.

• I want normal girl. Thats it :D

• I see

• I really don't care...

• Yeah, and if you're not hot all of a sudden instead of being interesting you're an annoying stalker.

• Being smart, genuine, kind, caring, funny and confident doesn't guarantee anybody anything. Same with being extroverted. Though I think being outgoing and confident does help a lot.

Reading the MHO, I can say that a lot of people have lives and responsibilities so they can't just drop everything at the drop of a hat to go sky diving or something else. Though I will say that going out and doing stuff instead of sitting around the house also helps.

The thing with nice guys are that most nice guys do have more going for them than being nice but just don't do the best at displaying it. A lot of them are smart, know an instrument, can draw, can code, got a passion for something but don't show it. The reason why "jocks" and stuff get interest because their passion and skills for sports are a bit easier to display and be seen than someone who say sketches in his spare time and has a passion for sketching. The same thing goes for musicians who are in a band over a solo guitarist or drummer or bassist.

The last thing I want to throw out there is I'd rather be single than to date an exciting asshole. Chances are if I'm bored with a woman then we just aren't compatible. The same goes for women with men. A woman who loves clubbing and sports but hates math and science won't be very interested in a guy who love math and science but hates clubbi and sports. Boring is very subjective. Chances are if every girl a guy tries to date finds the guy boring then he's going for the wrong girls.

• Haha. I love this post!

• I never bought any of that black guys are bigger crap until my junior year in college. I lived in the dorms with two roommates, David and John. David was a pretty ordinary looking guy, kinda quiet - but John was black, tall, lean, muscular and (according to him anyway) was hung like a bull. He used to joke about it a lot - even around my girlfriend, Amy. Amy was a sophomore and was petite, shy and somewhat quiet. I didn't like it when John would make his "big dick" comments and jokes around Amy, but she told me she didn't pay any attention to him and truth be told, she really couldn't stand John.
    I have a 5.5" dick and with Amy being so petite, it always seemed to do the trick. I was only the third guy she'd ever been with and only her second boyfriend - maybe my guard was just down but who knows.
    Anyway, one Friday night, Amy and I were hanging out in my dorm room drinking, smoking some weed and watching TV. David and John had both gone home for the weekend - or so we thought. At about 1AM (Amy and I were pretty toasted by then), John walked in. He'd ended up hanging out with some of his friends off campus and had decided to just drive home in the morning since his parents only lived about an hour and a half away.
    He could see that Amy and I were both pretty hammered. He grabbed a beer and sat down and we smoked some more weed with him. Amy was pretty drunk and started giving John ****. John seemed to get a kick out of it and I could see him kinda flirting with Amy. Then I noticed (and hoped that Amy wouldn't) that John wasn't wearing any underwear.
    But Amy started massaging my dick through my jeans and being so ****ed up, I just laid my head back and enjoyed it - I couldn't believe she was doing that right in front of John! I heard John get up to pass Amy the joint we were smoking and I heard her gasp, long and deep and she suddenly stopped stroking my dick. I opened my eyes and saw John standing righ tin front of Amy with a HUGE ****ing bulge in his pants - just inches from her face. The room was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.
    He just stood there and I could feel her hand tremble and hear her breathing quicken. when she slowly looked up at him, almost in awe and respect, I could feel my heart start to pound in my chest. Then she softly whispered "ohhhhhhhhhhh" as she gingerly reached up to brush her finger tips across that massive knot in his pants.

• When she touched it, it throbbed - **** I could see it throb thorugh his pants - Amy just gasped again and looked up at him.
      "What?" John asked her and just kinda laughed. Amy did NOT laugh. Instead, she softly asked "can i see it?" John stopped laughing, looked at her very seriously and told her to take it out. Amy never even hesitated - or looked back at me for an "OK" - just just obeyed him and began to open his jeans. I could see her nipples rock hard under her t-shirt and I could tell she was practically panting.
      She opened his jeans and his big thick black dick just fell out... and he had NOT been kidding. That cock was strong, thick, heavy and muscular. The head was a big purple mushroom that sat on top of the thickest shaft i'd ever seen. He was semi-hard and was HUGE compared to me. Amy just gasped and kept whispering "ohmygod.. ohmygod... ohmygod". When she wrapped her hand around it, her brow just knotted in disbelief and she almost laughed at how thick he was...

• Dude. Amy is stupid af and also was drunk. Everything that happened that night and then after proved it. Ok. He has a big dick. Cool. So do many. No, she doesn't HAVE to respect him just for that and she owes nobody nothing. Period. It sure any girl's a body part. Get tf over it. She's weak willed as fuck and may need therapy. If I fell head over heels like that for boobs, pretty sure any girl would have the same exact feelings about me. Weak willed and stupid af. Lesson learned. AVOID girls like Amy. She seems to value body parts over many things. Guess who does too? Animals! Animals love body parts and do anything and everything because of it without thinking! We are humans so we should use our brains. I'm am going to be blunt. Is she really any different from an animal in the wild? Maybe she has an animal brain in a human body by accident? Think about this.

• Interesting

• Just as marriage died so is the "asshole douchebag" senario dying as well. Everything changes over time. This asshole, douche bag situation is also a fad. One that will be played out soon enough. Everything's becoming about money now. Either you'll have it or you won't. No matter who's already fucking her in the end the money guys fuck all the "pretty" bitches anyway. Every bitch has a price tag. And the ones who truly do not are becoming obselete. Catch the next wave.

• Show more from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 5

• Bullshit. If a guy ignores me, I will not want him. I am moving on. I want a sweet guy that gives me his undivided attention. If a guy decides to listen to you, he's an idiot

• Read the whole article! That’s the point I’m trying to make

• @Goochbreaker You're a sexist asshole

• Rofl you think I don't apply the same logic to guys? I do... but female virginity is worth more than male virginity, for purely biological reasons, you can look into it if you give a shit but it doesn't appear you will. Just keep thinking I'm a sexist asshole, and have fun denying basic reality while sullying yourself in your youth. It's going to be a very, very shitty last 3/4s of your life for you unless you heed my words. See ya cat lady

• also a lot of girls have ben taught since elementary school : if he is being mean to you that means he likes you

• But... 99% of girls 'grow out of it. Lol meanness is an unattractive trait to both genders.

• That's really just an excuse by this point lol.

• @FýrdracaDócincel Yes, her comment is. But the whole statement of women liking assholes is a fallacy. So there shouldn't be any excuse for something that isn't even true in the first place. The behavior that men have is viewed differently than the behavior women have (even if it's the same behavior). Men who only go for good-looking girls (who will probably break his heart) aren't judged at all.. people just say "Men naturally like hot girls" though this is just an excuse.

• Those faces are creepy as fuck lol I'm unfortunately the introverted one. But yes douchebags are confident, nice guys are pretending just to get something they want which means they're not really nice. Their just the douche bag in hiding.

• No one wants a douchebag. No one wants an ugly person no matter how nice they are.

• A mix of both is great actually.