First date No nos

First dates sound intimidating. After all, it’s a make or break. They can either make your next relationship or break the connection on the get go. Let’s get down and dirty to the no nos of the first meeting (not in chronological order) :

1. No show.

Ouch. It’s an instant turn off. Goodbye forever.

First date No nos

2. Showing up late.

15, 30 minutes late is acceptable as long as your excuse is legit (caught in traffic/accident/emergency) but an hour late is just a sign of disrespect.

3. Postponing/Rescheduling

If you keep pushing the date further, it says you really are not interested to meet me.

4. Overdressed

If you arrive in dress to kill like you’re attending a Hollywood premier night or you're all dolled up looking like Pennywise, your date might be intimidated of how ostentatious/high maintenance you are… Or can be a turn on if you looking so fine.

First date No nos

5. Under dressed

If you arrive wearing only a piece of cloth covering your tatas, your date might wrinkle his nose in disgust. He’s looking for a future girlfriend/wife not paying for an escort for the night. Or you dressed up like you just rolled out of bed; it shows you just don’t give an F about anything.

6. No table manners

It is your first date; learn to be polite when the food is being served. It is a turn off when your date watches you eat like you’re in an eating contest. Say please and thank you and most of all be polite to the waiter.

First date No nos

7. Keep the conversation flowing and neutral and two ways.

Ask questions, get to know each other, keep the conversation light yet hearty. Avoid touchy topics like religion, politics even sports or any other matter that's going make the date awkward or heated.

8. Never bring up past relationships/sexual history.

It is too soon. Not now.

9. Never ask how much they make.

Although you can ask what they do for a living but asking them figures of their monthly/annual income is way too personal and can be a turn off for most people.

10. Don’t brag about how much you make either.

If you voluntarily divulge that you’re making a six figure salary or you own a big house by the lake, it can be TMI for some people but maybe catchy for aspiring gold diggers.

11. Never ever take friends/family with you.

It is a date not a group outing. If you do, do not expect your date to pay for your chaperone. Yikes. Instant turn off.

First date No nos

12. Put your phone away.

It is your first time to be with this new person and potential future partner, put your phone on mute and out of sight. Show this person you are interested to know them and focus on them.

13. Stop checking the time.

Never ever let your date feel that you’re bored or dying to go somewhere else. It’s rude af.

14. Flirting with the server or other people around.

Screams thirsty. Calm yourself down.

First date No nos

15. Never bring up marriage AND children.

Unless you already told your date online about your marital status. But in any circumstances, never ever bring this topic up on a first date. Again it is too soon.

16. Poor hygiene

If you don’t care about your personal hygiene, what makes you care about having a meaningful relationship with this new person? Self love first before loving someone else. Take a shower with soap and water, brush your teeth. Look good! Damn it's not that hard.

17. Don’t be a cheapskate/over spender.

Don’t expect your date to pay for your meal. Do you expect a stranger to pay for your food? Or limiting your order in the fear of paying for your date’s meal…

18. Never ask your date for a ride home.

Unless they offer…

19. Sex on the first date.

Again too soon. If you do, make it count lol.

First date No nos

20. Getting drunk and wasted.

Uh no. Bye.

First date No nos

These are just the few common no nos on the first date. Feel free to add more. First dates are supposed to be enjoyable, fun and exciting meeting a special person for the first time. So try to avoid these mishaps coz you never know that special date of yours could turn out to be the future love of your life. Enjoy!

First date No nos

615
Pinay_ako is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 14

• You know... i came here to see if you were just gonna be another biased dumb cunt that just speaks about what women want out of a first date... but lol... i have to say.. im happy...(and unhappy) that you aren't.
    Happy you aren't...
    Unhappy because now i can't rag on you, and i came in here all geared up :( ... ugh. You ma'am, covered all your bases you sneaky little minx...

Well... now all im left with is this line.."learn to be polite when the food is served"... why does the first date have to be at a restaurant... I've never gotten that. its like... girls wanna eat.. and guys just go with it in order to avoid having to get creative.
    After i stopped paying for first (and continuous) dates.. oh i started getting creative. And if it has to be a restaurant, i usually let her know ahead of time that she's paying for herself. If she doesn't want to... i guess we ain't going to a restaurant. I try not do rides either... but.. sometimes they dont have a car. it seems a little awkward to drive off and your date walks to the bus stop.

• For the most part, I agree with everything you said.

There's a clever way to get an idea of what somebody's political or religious views are without directly asking the question. I don't really think of sports as being a touchy subject, however. If it somehow strikes a nerve with someone I'm with, then odds are really good that I'm not going to get along with somebody so petty.

• 1 definitely. People that stand people up are the scum of the world. I've luckily never been stood up so far.
    2 isn't that big a deal with me as long as they're communicating with me. They can keep me waiting for like 2 hours. I'll just find something else to do.
    3 is okay as long as it's once.
    4 wouldn't annoy me at all. It shows they care about their first impression.
    5 bothers me more so. If someone came underdressed it shows lack of care.
    6 I'm not the most classy person myself. I'm polite to those around me and chew with my mouth closed, but if you're hungry then go ahead and eat. Just make conversation while you eat lol.
    7 is a given. If they can't have a conversation then the chemistry won't be there.
    8 really depends on the person. I'm okay with them bringing it up if they have the right vibe and as long as they're okay with me sharing my past as well. It can help bring you closer as well.
    9 is a definite no. If someone asks how much I make there's few possibilities as to why they'd ask but all one thing in common. They CARE about your income, which to me has nothing to do with myself. Compelte turnoff.

• I've been guilty of both 1 and 2. Once I totally forgot I was supposed to meet her and she sent a "have a nice life" message. Another time, I had a work crisis and had to work late (in the two months at that work site, the ONLY day it happened, of course) and arrived 25 minutes late without having had the time to clean up at home after work.

• Never go on a date when a girl says her mom wants to go and watch out of nervousness. Her mom joined us for the coffee date and flirted with me for 2 hours, she couldn't get a word in.

• I enjoyed this and thank you for posting this. It was a well-read sentence, Looking forward to more.

• That's an excellent list and should be very helpful to anyone that doesn't have much experience with dating (or that hasn't had any success because they're violating one or more of these things).

The only thing I can really think of to add is:

- Acting like someone you're not. Of course you want to impress your date, but don't pretend to be something you're not because you can't keep doing that forever and you need to find out whether you're compatible the way you are. Be on your best behavior, but be you.

• I think discussing past relationships is a legit topic. Some couples want to get on the same page about relationship goals before trying out a relationship.

• Politics and other things along those lines are a good way to see if they have any intelligence and possibly see if they are an open minded person. The latter being a definite deal breaker if they lack it.

• Printing off dick picks to show her incase your phone battery dies

• Number 12 is a major annoyance and turn off for me. Have some courtesy, be engaging, be present.

• don't date women with dogs cuz they stink like dogs.

• Id post but its public so I'm not.

What Girls Said 6

• Ok, lets go.
    2. When i was dating O, we had agreed to go out one night. I was so excited i mean we had not seen each other in awhile. Time comes, and goes. 5 mins... 10 mins... 45 mins. hour. 2 hours. In the end i just went to bed. There was no text, no phone call nothing. Yes we had been dating for a while but the fact that you stood me up hurts. Ok in the end, I guess he had a "sort of valid excuse" but that didn't change how I felt.

4. So if you came overdressed to our date and you looked good, id be like (see 1st gif). Especially if you look good. I may feel a little self conscious, but if I am genuinely attracted to you then it doesn't bother me so much. Yes i am shallow that way. Kinda like when J comes to visit, I am like "DAMN"

6: Table Manners - Manners in general if you have them and use them is such a huge turn on. Seeing how you treat other people is a direct reflection on how you will treat me on future dates - if there are future dates.

7. The shit j and i talk about on Mondays is ridiculous. So many different topics, from vacations, to butterflies to designing army tanks, but thats what its about. You can talk about anything under the sun, and you get to know people a lot easier.

9. He's out of your league because he makes more money than you. Remember that?

15. I mean if you have a child you should tell them when you are telling them about yourself...

16. Ewww

19. Not gonna lie - if the date wet well and he's feeling it, and I am feeling it, then Im gonna get some.

• 15. I think she was clearly referring to future offspring.

• And that is how girls like you end up single, used and abused and miss out on red flags. Better they do this than wait months and years down the road and regret having even a first date. There are no rules to first dates. It's stupid. If you want to set those rules, TELL THEM BEFORE YOU DATE THEM. I rather know all of those things on a date, mainly before the 1st date, then have all of those things done and I wonder who the hell am I dating and dump them anyway. Save yourself the heartache and screen them out NOW. It's not about emotions and silly stuff like hobbies. I don' want a person into premarital sex, sex on the first date or don't want marriage. I rather know from the get-go.

The only thing that is common sense is #1 and #2. Just don't complain about can't find good men/women.

• Girls like me? How do you know what my status is? You based your judgement of me on what you just read. If you don't agree on my post, you being snotty towards some stranger is unnecessary. Have a good day :)

• You take things on the internet way too seriously lol. Get off my post and bother someone else. BYE

• Wow Holy, I guess i misread her whole take. I could have sworn she meant first date, when you meet them for the very first time. I mean the only way im talking about sex with a complete stranger is if it comes up in natural conversation. I mean i am not gonna blurt out, "hey eat me out under the table" That is so uncalled for on a date, and I dont care what you say.
      But hey everyone is entitled to an opinion, and this is hers. There is really no need to blow it out of proportion

• Forgot to add when that first date tries to put their hand up your pants, skirt or top..

• I agree with all but to add to number 11, you can only bring friends if everyone agrees to a double date. Sometimes a double date takes the edge of the anxiety of a first date.

• Spot on! 😆

• Good take