Girl tries two Tinder profiles: One where she tries to look her best, and one where she tries to look ugly. Fascinating results!

Robertcw

So a YouTuber by the name of Alyssa Ruby decided to go on Tinder for the first time.

She wanted to test the difference between an ugly girl’s experience on the app and a pretty girl’s experience on the app. The way she decided to do this was to try her best to look ugly in one profile and then try her best to look pretty in the other profile and compare which got more matches with the same amount of swipes.

Here’s the video:

So here’s the quick summary. The ugly profile got more matches.

I love this result.

The reason I love it is it supports my theory that the 80/20 theory where 20% of guys are getting 80% of girls is wrong.

I also love that she seems kinda offended and hurt at realizing that just maybe guys are just swiping on anything with boobs. And that’s exactly what I think is going on.

Tinder data shows, unanimously, that women get way more likes and much higher match ratios than men. And that women swipe right way less frequently than men. And by way more likes I really mean way more. They get somewhere between 4-10x as many matches per swipe than men. Combine this with statistics that male sexlessness for men under 30 is skyrocketing exponentially with female sexlessness under age 30 remaining constant you get the 80/20 theory that somehow 20% of guys must be having sex with 80% of all women. But I’m no longer convinced. Why?

Two reasons. One, hot guys only get at most a 25% match ratio on the app. And it’s probably somewhere between 15%-25%. Average guys get about a 1% match ratio on the app. Each hot guy matches with different women. Not the same ones on every profile. But the same cannot be said for women. They’ll all get liked by the same men regardless of who the girl is.

And two, and this is what made me sure I was right, when the same girl made an ugly profile and a pretty profile the ugly profile got more matches than the pretty profile in the same number of swipes for each.

All this suggests that rather than a few guys getting all the girls, all the guys are swiping indiscriminately at all the same girls above a certain minimum threshold that probably only requires one not be overweight, have boobs and not be dead.

Thus, women can actually all have exactly the same men like them all at the same time. Effectively making it as if the swiping process never happened! Think about it. Say we had a bag of colored ping pong balls and we wanted people to choose the color ball they wanted by looking at cue cards with photos of the available balls. They can either like or dislike the cue card to save their preference. Then the ping pong balls can choose among the potential people by seeing photos of the available people on cue cards. But their choices haven’t been narrowed down at all cause all the people all chose all the ping pong balls.

So anyway, the ping pong balls don’t choose like the other group. They each pick different people, with the occasional accidental overlaps spread out somewhat randomly.

Each person is chosen by very few ping pong balls, if any at all. While all the ping pong balls are all chosen by tons of people. And yet, no particular person is getting all the ping pong balls. That’s because all that happened was all the people in their end chose all the same ping pong balls in the beginning. Literally makes no difference.

The people the ping pong balls choose are distributed somewhat randomly with occasional small overlap. And also has nothing to do with the way that people all chose all the ping pong balls.

I believe this is exactly what’s going on with Tinder. Girls have a lot of casual sex, but they don’t have that much. More than guys? Yeah. But one girl sleeping with with the entire male Tinder population, or the entire hot guy male Tinder population? Nah. I don’t think so.

Think about it. A girl with 700 matches could have sex with 700 guys. But how often does that happen? (Read: like almost never). How many matches do hot guys get when fake profiles are tested? 15-25%, not 80%. Even if all the girls of that 15-25% fuck him, and maybe they do, that’s a far cry from 80% of all women going after 20% of all men. More like 15-25% of the available women accidentally overlapped with each other cause’ this one guy was widely appealing in that way.

It could be that for any and all overlap, it happens always with a hot guy. Sure, but does that mean 80% of women are going after 20% of men?! Well, given make sexlessness is 30% this year for men below 30 and 18% this year for women below age 30, it is possible that 12% of women’s choices are a overlapped randomly across 20% of men. But that’s still not the same thing as saying that 80% of women want 20% of men. In which case 78% of women are sexing 70% of men. That makes much more sense.

Again, more evidence to suggest that the 80/20 rule does not apply.

Can 25% add up really fast? Yeah. Take 1,000 swipes and you get 250 matches. Most men will never have sex with 250 girls. But maybe a hot guy could. Sure. But 800 girls out of 1,000 swipes?!? Nah. Not happening. Definitely not 80%.

Girls going after 20% of guys?!? 200 men out of 1,000 swipes (some girls maybe, yes). Most girls?!? No. I don’t think so. Many girls tell me they are either in the 10-20 range, or the 20-40 range. Rarely more than that. We’re they all super hot guys? No.

When asked, most people with high partner counts (20+) responded in a poll that the majority of their sexual partners were average or below in looks. Again, more evidence to debunk the 80/20 myth.

I just don’t see it adding up or playing out. The only possible way it could make any sense is if the same guy gets a bunch of virgins. Then, maybe. And that might actually happen irl. But I thought most girls lose virginity in relationships. Which makes it very hard to pull something like this unless the guy was a serial cheater — which could very well be.

But outside the virgin hypothetical I don’t see it being a possibility.

Kinda terse and whatnot but there ya go. I will be testing four profiles in the future. One hot guy, one average guy, one hit girl and one average girl and all do the same number of swipes on all of them and compare the results. I need to do it for science! Stay tuned.

✌🏻

13
32
13Girl Opinion
32Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1232
  • TenPoundTabby
    So, you've confirmed that Tinder is a cesspool. I hope you don't think that such an obvious observation indicates you should get a PHD in stats or anything. :)
  • bamesjond0069
    Some men absolutely have huge counts. I'm one of them. But i don't do that well on tinder. I don't even bother with it. The girls have huge egos where they put down and block a dude just to feed the fake self esteem they have. Any girl actually hooking up off tinder is a hoe. GUARANTEED! Every girl i ever met off tinder fucked the first time we met and most had boyfriends. They all ho bags on there for real or just getting likes with no intention of ever meeting a man.
  • sean1234
    What a joke. I myself would get practically zero messages regardless. Why is it only men who talk to women on dating sites, why not the other way around?
    Like 1 Person
    • Kas19

I'm not sure about other women, but I'm really nervous to message first. I have gathered the confidence a few times and messaged first but it was scary, haha.

• sean1234

@Kas19 I really wonder how many women actually get messaged by guys. Like Hey baby mua... and they get 10,000 messages like that. Assuming they are real. Makes me wonder if they are real. Ever use PhotoTracker Lite? I just right click and realize that many womens accounts are fake. and I mean many! POF almost never gets rid of them.

• sean1234

I was talking ti this girl on pof because she put all over her account that she got STD's and pof deleted her in the middle of my conversation with her AND like I said, I reported like 20 other fake accounts that are probably still up.

• Sweatyotterr
    God look how many desperate pathetic men are out their it’s so god damn embarrassing. When will men learn not to be such simps
    Like 3 People
  • LuWe22
    I don't know anything about online dating. Never used it. I found my partner in real life. I never had casual sex. Only Sex with him and no one else.
    Like 4 People
  • JustWorthlessMe
    the simple truth is that she's not even ugly when trying... an ugly 300lb woman will get 50 times the responses that your average guy gets... of course this simple truth being pointed out pisses certain women off
  • TripleAce
    Brah, it’s just an expression to indicate that the handsome guys generally get any girl they want...
    It’s not a taking actual numbers lol
    Like 1 Person
  • Liam_Hayden
    It doesn't matter to me. Even if it were true and I am not in the 20% of guys, that still leaves 100's of millions of women available.
    Like 1 Person
  • Smegskull
    You see "ugly" profile and "pretty" profile.

I see "sense of humour" profile and "average girl trying too hard to look pretty" profile.
    Like 2 People
  • MLGbreezy
    Okay so which one is where she tries to look her best
    Like 2 People
  • DollySummers
    I think the reason is cuz the uglier the women the more vulnerable of a target
    Like 1 Person
    • ωнαт υ мєαи?

• Easy. If they guy looks at her as less pretty than he will put his moves on her. The guy will think he can score sex with her easier. Same reason why you will see a guy make a girl feel ugly before trying to hook up.
      It is one of the many underhanded dirty tactics some guys use.

• DWornock
    The experiement fails because she was pretty regardless. He lipstick was messed up, but so what? It's not her lipstick that I'd be after.
  • HereIbe
    Stupidly designed non-experiment. The "ugly" isn't "ugly", it's "Obviously intentionally different and weird", and the "pretty" one isn't all that pretty. It looks just "off", somehow. Maybe she SUCKS at makeup so badly that when she intentionally tries for "bad", she manages to not do such a piss-poor job of it. Look at her face in the left vs. the right. On the left, the makeup blotches look silly, but her face actually looks like it has a BETTER SHAPE! On the right, she looks really uncanny valley, almost inhuman. Too sharp, too angular, too PLASTIC. This is just another piece of bullshit.

Likewise, the poses: On the left, the whole package says "This chick might be worth getting to know just because she's really put herself out there, she's not just another plastic barbie wannabe." On the right, it says "Made-up, hard, harsh-looking, tries too hard, plastic."

Amateurs screw up science so badly. I could design a proper experiment, but I only do that if I get paid.
    Like 2 People
  • Giggletr0n
    She does realise that most people will look at obviously dodgy profiles as trolling right?
  • rlivston
    I believe you're overthinking and overanalyzing this. The answer, in my opinion, is a little simpler than statistics and swipes. I believe that the ugly picture got more swipes because the men saw the beauty in you waiting to come out and felt like you were less likely to reject or ignore them and therefore had a better chance with the "ugly" girl than the "pretty" girl on the assumption of that and also that there would be less of a chance of competition among other men for you. Men dont like rejection or competition and avoid those things when pursuing a women. It's a matter of male ego and psychology not statistics. And men often see beauty in women they themselves cannot see.
  • Mamamialetmego
    20/80 rule suggest women will fight eachother to get 20% of men and these men will have easy access for sex because women throw themselves to them.

But it isn't like that becuase women don't trust the internet that's all. Or they are too insecure and scared by rejection so they never initiate.

Women prefer live connection because they evolved to look more behavior rather than how men looks when choosing partner.

They just use online dating to boost their ego or get some money or followers to their social media. There are women look for sex and get sex i've encounter them a lot but majority aren't like that. Majority women don't trust the internet.

Average looking men with little bit confidence can have much much higher chance in the real world.

Like 1 Person
    • Also women play passively they try to look desirable and sexy as much as possible and then wait guys to approach them.

And last, what i realized women don't spend online dating as much time as guys. I've seen women answer me or matched with me that i've messaged or swiped months ago.

So just have confidence and develop communation skills and go out to real world. That's more quick, effective and fun.

• Real world has less competition because all these desperate, needy guys do online only. Online is easy, real world is hard.

• TheAceholeSupreme666
    I put myself on Tinder 6 months ago. Only 1 swipe right.
  • ChefCurry
    You need to find some better to do with your time.
    Like 5 People
  • thefutureisfemale
    Looks the same to me in both.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson
  • Secretgardenblood
    Nice take
    Like 1 Person
  • Show More (4)