Briffault's Law - Understanding How Relationships Work

Robert Briffault was a surgeon originally from either France or London (his true nationality remains unknown) who later became interested in biology and anthropology. He became a social anthropologist and was known as an accomplished novelist as well.

He published his most well known work called The Mothers: A Study of the Origins of Sentiments and Institutions.

More than a study on matriarchy, it is an essay on the history of family and gender relations. The most relevant aspect of this book is the huge amount of ethnographic information (about customs and beliefs) that it presents.

This book contains family history, gender relations and marriage, matriarchy (matrifocal or matrilineal societies), sociology, ethnology, anthropology, maternity, matrilocal marriages, matrimonial customs, traditions of numerous human groups, etc; but it also engendered what we know today as Briffault's Law which reads as following:

“the female, not the male, determines all the conditions of the animal family. Where the female can derive no benefit from association with the male, no such association takes place.”

The reason I'm sharing this is because I've read many questions on gag that could easily be answered with Briffault's Law in terms of relationships and male / female behavior.

We shouldn't forget that even though we reason very unlike the rest of the animals we are still animals placed in a taxonomic group, and in many contexts, specially when it comes to reproduction those animalistic traits come afloat.

Lets look at the three corollaries of Briffault's Law:

1. Even though a woman has accrued past benefits from her relationship with a man, this is no guarantee of her continuing the relationship with him.

Women hold the power in the mating game and they always will since, as well all know, it is women who give the green light or red light to any advance or propositions from the males. But going a bit further, women also expect for the male to comply to her and provide. If no benefit is gained from an association with a male she may abandon the relationship or simply move forward, and look for someone else.

Kinda like this penguin did...

2. If a woman promises a man to continue her relationship with him in the future in exchange for a benefit received from him today, her promise becomes null and void as soon as the benefit is rendered.

Women DO NOT establish a relationships with men if they see no benefits from establishing the relationship. It is important to note that we aren't talking about money here, not exclusively at least, but women usually go for the highest bidder available for her to establish a relationship and follow her directionality. She could be interested in status, physical appearance of a man (good set of genes and traits), emotional fulfillment, security, etc.

3. A man’s promise of a future benefit has limited ability to secure a continuing relationship with a woman, and his promise carries weight with her only to the extent that the woman’s wait for the benefit is short and to the extent that she trusts him to keep his promise.

According to Briffault, you aren't in safe territory when establishing a relationship with a woman. This is probably the reason why women prefer commitment / marriage over more casual interactions like friends with benefits. This doesn't mean women will not engage in casual sex or having fuck buddies, but this is either temporal or the least when they aren't looking to establish and pursue their biological imperatives.

All in all for a woman to establish a relationship it requires a calculated cost/benefit analysis in order for her to approve it.

Since learning all this thanks to a biology professor at the university I'm majoring currently, I was able to figure out a lot of the stuff that happened in previous relationships and why girls follow certain behavioral patterns. I hope this helps you in some way!

625

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 6

• This is awesome!

Being a former nurse, loving to help people, observing peoples behaviors, listening to what they don't say; this is extremely interesting to me. The calculation of future benefits are not always conscious choices; I think that's important to remember :)

The three corollaries are behaviors that to me are clear; but I'm also an aware woman studying people of mere interest. The corollaries also show behaviors I absolutely detest in women. Their behaviors/feelings of entitlement - especially in our society today.

I LOVE that you brought this up - that it helped you understand your own experiences. Be mindful though, that all women are not that primal; not many are aware of their behaviors to that point, and that there are opportunities for change and improvement once it becomes clear.
    The biggest challenge for a woman in our society today, is the realization/understanding and communication of her own needs, without blaming anyone else for the inability; without feeling more entitled to them than the next person.

Thank you for your myTake! You made my day!

• "The corollaries also show behaviors I absolutely detest in women. Their behaviors/feelings of entitlement - especially in our society today. "

Tell me about it. I don't see an issue in hypergamy per se, or better said looking for the best they can get. But it seems as if most women think it's never enough. Partly I do blame the media and certain ideologies.

"Be mindful though, that all women are not that primal; not many are aware of their behaviors to that point, and that there are opportunities for change and improvement once it becomes clear."

Oh, for sure. I know as women get older they become more aware of this even if it's not fully conscious. But it's definitely very innate and ingrained in female nature, and I hope all it takes is a little awareness so that they can moderate/control these biological drives. And I completely agree in your last statement.

Thanks for reading, though :)

• I agree, I would also state that much of that entitlement mentality is due to modern development, mainly that we have removed the negative consequence of this behavior from women and by extension have placed it on men. For instance she can always divorce him (which is ironic as people where convinced that if we allowed no fault divorce it would be men to divorce women and abandon their spouses not women yet the exact opposite happened) which was something women could do (under certain conditions i. e. he was not providing for her or was abusive or cheating etc.) but now he has to pay her alimony, she is protected with welfare programs and a society that is much safer then it historically was (being preyed upon by animals or raiders is not exactly common now a days) means that the incentive to stick around is not as strong because she will be still be safe,

• she will still be provided for and this has allowed some women (the ones who don't self reflect) to give into this biological drive. That's why their where so many rules and taboos in society, biology will always be their but society and its laws acted as a counter weight to weaken the negative impulses and enhance the positive but now the rules of the modern day are completely different, the threats are different and our biology is outdated so we are caught in a strange time.

• I'd be interested in hearing/reading more on this topic. :-) thanks

• Nice take

• Very interesting!

• Great take

• Effects of hanging out too much on reddit red pill

What Guys Said 25

• As with everything regarding human behavior, it's complicated and can rarely be universally applied. Men are under the thrall if womens choices as like you said, she is the gatekeeper of who enters. Which means she is supposed to be stingent in who enters the "queendom". Short of being raped of course, which sadly was something many men used to do to spread their seed if they felt they were or actually we're lower on the social totem pole.
    The psychology of rape is something I have extensively researched, though I'm unfamiliar with Brittfault and his views.

Women are in control of the house usually as the old saying goes, "if the wife is happy, I'm happy". Though it stands that women are very fickle over what they truly want which might be why her entitlement to change lovers is paramount to her "selfish" need to feel the benefits of the relationship are to her liking.

But men do something similar, they achieve what theh wanted, but get bored of it and move on to hunt all over again even though these behaviors are not good for their future offspring as children with two parents (specifically a father in teen years) being far more productive and efficient than one. Obviously single parents can successfully raise children but it's damn difficult and rarely happens without major setbacks.

Ultimately, just because something is an instinct doesn't mean we should follow it. That could lead to some horrible crimes being committed.

• That is very true, but for women is because of their hypergamy while for men I have observed (and in no way I'm an expert on this) they get "bored" out of their biological drive to seek variety. That's where the difference lies I'd say.

I do think we can control out impulses to a certain degree, all we need is to be aware of all this. If I'm not mistaken single parents do better than single mothers, and children who are raised by single parents have better education. However, I do agree child raise is better with both biological parents no doubt. Someone mentioned to me recently that testosterone levels decrease during/after childbirth and go back up once the child is grown up. I think men have an instinct of providing protection and security but only for a limited time.

• Heard of this before but your explanation adds clarity. This really says it all and it justifies in my mind my approach to women which is very temporary.

• True, but it misses a couple of interesting points. The female's ability to attract the male is also a factor; especially among humans. Her desirability is limited by time in a way his is not. Thus, her role as the gatekeeper is NOT all-powerful; males will frequently abandon the old to pursue a newer, more desirable mate. Or just go MGTOW. And in some societies, her options are severely limited. In the end, it balances out.

• WOW 😮
    Great take. Thanks for sharing.

Most the pinkies will not be happy to see this.
    You rubbed it in their faces.

That video was...

• haha it's heart breaking man. That poor little penguin... could be anyone of us.
      Thanks for the comment! :)

• Very interesting, and did does explain a lot, but what about at different stages of life?

• I'd say what changes is what girls look for in men. By personal experience I'd say younger girls don't look for the same things are older women. They are less preoccupied about stability and money, yet take more notice on status and/or looks. But I think it goes beyond that.

I do think this that I wrote in my take kind of answers that: "This doesn't mean women will not engage in casual sex or having fuck buddies, but this is either temporal or the least when they aren't looking to establish and pursue their biological imperatives."

Cheers

• Wait how is this a law? In science laws cannot be broken and I can already tell you a few ways this can be disproven.

• I didn't made this up. I do believe in it because I have enough experience to confirm it BUT I do respect if you wish to ignore it, of if you want to disprove it. What I'll do is quote Henry Louis Mencken on this:

• It is hard to escape the cogency of his arguments, for they are based upon an almost overwhelming accumulation of facts. They not only show that, in what we may plausibly assume about the institutions of early man and in what we know positively about the institutions of savages today, the concepts inseparable from a matriarchate colour every custom and every idea: they show also that those primeval concepts still condition our own ways of thinking and doing things, so that "the societal characters of the human mind" all seem to go back "to the functions of the female and not to those of the male." Thus it appears that man, in his remote infancy, was by no means the lord of creation that he has since become."

• Treatise on the Gods - H. L. Mencken

• I definitely believe that women are slaves to their base, animal nature.

They have the gift of reason, but not the benefit of it.

• I dunno, I don't really see this holding true in practice.

Or, put differently, I don't think that this is a gender based rule.
    "It is important to note that we aren't talking about money here, not exclusively at least, but women usually go for the highest bidder available for her to establish a relationship and follow her directionality. She could be interested in status, physical appearance of a man (good set of genes and traits), emotional fulfillment, security, etc."
    Okay.. fine.. but isn't that true for you when looking at girls? Are you honestly going to tell me that you look to get involved with girls with whom you have zero attraction with on literally ANY level? That is so silly!
    Seems to me that all of this is boiling down to "woman prefer to be with someone they like in some manner." but that also sounds like another rule, "men prefer to be with someone they like in some manner".

• How is that silly? You said it yourself WE LOOK AT THE GIRLS. Men are more driven by a woman's physical appearance, much more than women are to men when it comes to long term relationships.

I should've mentioned that, though. It is true. But hypergamy (as clearly exemplified in the video) just happens in nature. Hypergamy is part of female nature and they in cycles. Meaning a girl can break up or move on very quickly if you don't provide her, or if she is able to hook a better option. Don't get me wrong, men cheat too but if we are being honest here I think every man would have harems of women at their disposition. We wouldn't break up with a girl to be intimate with another. All of that is fantasy, of course, because is not accepted behavior in society and we would be screwed as a civilization if we just followed our biological imperatives without reasoning.

• Women will be attracted to a man, but not have a relationship with him or leave a relationship with him because he doesn't have enough to offer in other areas or someone else offers more (even if they're less attracted to the someone else). They are more pragmatic when choosing a partner, essentially. This usually isn't the case when men are choosing a partner. Usually attraction is enough.

• It definitely is nice to be able to put a name on an obvious behavior.

• Very informative thanks.

• Great stuff

• Interesting

• Nice

• This man didn't feel happy in his marriage

• Did Briffault write a book on this?

• This is true

• Like it)

• its good

• Humans are not animals that run on instinct. We have reason. Well, about 90% of us do. About 10% of people have IQs less than 83, and they are basically high functioning animals.

• Yes... women have ALWAYS been in charge! They are masters of playing the victim only when it suits them. Men are just their zombies and drones.

• More from Guys
    5