East Asian Beauty Standards for Men

In today’s discussion, I would like to present to you the East Asian beauty standards for men.

I previously covered the East Asian beauty standards for women, which you can read about here.

I find that it’s more challenging to write about the beauty standards for men, simply because it’s not as restrictive as the beauty standards for women, and because of that, it’s harder to define and put down in words.

Proviso 1: I am discussing East Asian beauty standards because that’s who I am and that’s what I am most familiar with. I believe that many of the points below are applicable to Asians from Southeast Asia as well. In other parts of Asia, though, I believe the beauty standards are quite different.

Okay, first, let’s talk about the obvious:

The unvarnished truth is this: there is often very little representation of East Asian men in the West, specifically in the US.

Some East Asian men who might have been considered “decent” looking in the US would definitely fall outside of East Asian beauty standards for men.

For example, when the TV series, Lost, first premiered in 2004, the actor Daniel Dae Kim was considered by some American women to be “hot”. This left many Asians in Asia scratching their heads in confusion.

Daniel Dae Kim on Lost
Daniel Dae Kim on Lost

That is because around the same time, the two actors below were widely considered to be among the most attractive male actors in Asia.
Can you tell the difference in beauty standards?

Kaneshiro Takeshi (Left) and Takenouchi Yutaka (Right)

So now that we’ve acknowledged that there are definitely some differences in beauty standards for East Asian men when it comes to West vs East, let us move on into the meat and potatoes of things.

#1 - Neotenous Features, which includes having a “Small Face”

Neotenous facial features are highly prized in East Asia, for both men and women.

What is Neoteny?
Neoteny is the retention of juvenile features in adults.
East Asians have a mutation in the EDAR gene, which scientists believe to have first appeared about 35,000 years ago. Researchers believe that this mutation in the EDAR gene is what causes the majority of East Asians to retain a lot of baby-like features well into adulthood.

One of the most prize neotenous features is having a small face.

In Chinese, it is 巴掌脸 (palm-sized face), in Japanese it is 小顔 and in Korean 얼굴이 작다 (both meaning “small face”)

Small face applies to both men and women, although, as expected, it’s not as restrictive of a beauty standard for men.

The measurements of a small face are vague. There are plenty of YouTube videos where you can see people measuring faces to see whether a face is “small” or “not small”

If you add up the number of Neotenous features together, you get:

East Asian guys on Tik Tok
East Asian guys on Tik Tok

#2 – Sexual Dimorphism and “Pretty Men”

Due to the fact that East Asian men – just like East Asian women – tend to have more neotenous features in adulthood compared to their counterparts in other parts of the world, there have been researchers who have used this surfeit of neotenous features in East Asian men to explain the low Sexual Dimorphism that is popularly ascribed to East Asians. (whether they are right or not is another matter)

What is Sexual Dimorphism?
Sexual Dimorphism is the distinct differences in appearances between males and females, in animals and in humans.

Saying that East Asians appear to have low level Sexual Dimorphism means that there appears to be less physical (appearance) differences between East Asian men and women, compared to other ethnicities.

Is there any truth to this?
There’s nothing scientifically concrete about this.
You’re free to form your own opinion.

For example, Jin from BTS (a K-pop group) and Ji-soo from BLACKPINK (a K-pop group) are often thought (read: "joked") to be long-lost siblings:

Ji-soo (Left) and Jin (Right)
Ji-soo (Left) and Jin (Right)

Many also think that they look similar even as kids:

As kids: Jin (Left) and Ji-soo (Right)
As kids: Jin (Left) and Ji-soo (Right)

Perhaps the perceived low level of Sexual Dimorphism explains the phenomenon of “pretty men” in East Asian pop culture.

In my opinion, it first started in Japan.
美少年 (bishounen) translates to “Beautiful Youth” and is used for boys, although boys who grow into men can still be called 美少年. (Note: it is a phrase in pop culture, and not something you would say to your male boss in Japan!)

The aesthetics of the bishounen already existed in Japan, way, way back, possibly around 1000 AD. It was / is a rife trope in manga and many young women (and young men) are very well-aware of this trope.

Young men who possess the aesthetics of a bishounen are also referred to as “Flower boys”.

To me, the FIRST “flower boy” was Kimura Takuya, a singer and actor, affectionately known in Japan at the time as Kimutaku:

Kimura Takuya when he was young
Kimura Takuya when he was young

This “flower boy” aesthetic quickly blew across the sea, and is now a very dominant aesthetic in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.

In China, men who have this aesthetic are often referred to as 小鮮肉 (xiǎo xiān ròu), which literally translates to “Little Fresh Meat”. Although the literal translation of the phrase might sound rather frightening in English, there are no negative connotations to the phrase.

Yang Yang, one of the most popular actors in China

In South Korea, men who have this aesthetic are often called 꽃미남 (ggotminam) which literally translates to “Flower Beauty Man.” Once again, there are absolutely no negative connotation to this phrase.

Cha-Eun Woo, a popular actor/singer in South Korea

#3 – Looking Good and Looking More Distinguished as one gets Older

Okay, so, what if you don’t have this youthful aesthetic – and there are many East Asian men who don’t – or what happens if you get a little older and you end up not looking as youthful as you did 10-15 years ago?

No worries, you can still be considered dashing and distinguished if you take good care of your self and you have oodles of charisma.

There’s somewhat less pressure on East Asian men to look physically attractive as they get older compared to women – but only just. If you’re an ordinary, non-celebrity guy on the street, you can get away with getting a little older, as long as you keep yourself in good shape. If you’re a guy in the entertainment business, you’re pretty much expected to prevent things from going south or at least to stave it off for as long as possible.

Gong Yoo, who is 40, is very popular with the ladies, even though he might not have the dewy, “fresh-faced” look of his younger counterparts. His charisma, distinguished look, and pure magnetic presence makes him stand out from his peers:

Gong Yoo, 40 years old in 2019
Gong Yoo, 40 years old in 2019

#4 – Milky / Porcelain Skin, and the Double Eyelid (vs Mono Eyelid) issue

East Asian male celebrities are pretty much expected to have good skin.
That means being smooth-faced, no blemishes, and no scars.

The trend right now is to have milky, porcelain skin, just like women, but with men, there’s less pressure on having fair, pale skin.
A slight tan for men is perfectly fine.

Also, while the double eyelid is also preferred in men, it’s completely fine to have mono eyelids.
As mentioned in my discussion of East Women’s Beauty Standards, the double eyelid is quite common in Asians, especially in Southern Chinese and Japanese.

Note: Just like in women, men with “Under-eye Baby Fat Deposits” are considered to have a more youthful look.

Nakagawa Taishi, Milky/Porcelain Skin, Double Eyelid
Kim Ji-soo, Slight Tan, Mono Eyelid
Kim Ji-soo, Slight Tan, Mono Eyelid

#5 – Height

The cut-off point nowadays when it comes to the Ideal Height for East Asian men is 1.80 m (slightly under 5’11”).

If you are slightly under, say 1.78 – 1.79 m (~ 5’10”) you can just about fudge it, but anything shorter and you won’t be able to bluff your way through – unless I suppose if you wear platform shoes.

As you would expect, unlike with women, there is no “cute” category for men who don’t hit the ideal height. You’re not “cute” – you’re just not the “ideal height”.

Northern Chinese and Koreans are said to be among the tallest Asians, while Southern Chinese and Japanese tend to be slightly shorter.

Personal Story Time: I am 1.83 m (6’ ). I am considered to be, height-wise, above average in Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau, and Southern China. However, in Northern China and Korea, I am perhaps somewhere in between average to “just a tiny bit” tall.

In my East-Asian basketball gang of friends, I am the shortest team member.
One of my best friends is a mite taller at 1.85 m (just under 6’1”).

Do we sometimes wish we were taller?
Definitely. Of course, we know it’s hopeless. But that’s what fantasy is for.
In our circle, the Level 2 “Ideal-Ideal” Height for a man is 1.88 m (6’2”).

East Asian men in the entertainment industry are expected to be tall.
This is especially so for male actors, and even more especially so if they get paired up with tall leading ladies.

Here are some men-women pairings (because it's much harder to find full-length body shots for men):

Liu Yifei (Mulan-to-be, 1.70 m, 5’7”) and Kris Wu (1.87 m, a little under 6’2”)
Park Shin-hye (1.68 m, 5’6”) and Kim Woo Bin (1.87 m, a little under 6’2”)
Takeuchi Ryoma (1.85 m, just under 6’1”) towering over Hamabe Minami (1.55 m, 5’1”)

#6 – Weight and Physique

East Asian men don’t face the same pressure when it comes to weight compared to East Asian women. There is no “you must below X kg” like with women.

However, the ideal image is to be lean, with broad shoulders forming a distinct V-shape for the upper body, tapering down to a slim waist and proportional legs.
That means absolutely no beer gut and no “Dad bods”.

It’s rare in East Asia to find a man in the East Asian entertainment scene getting told to lose some weight.

I think Shindong from the K-pop group Super Junior is one very famous example of a male celebrity who did his best to lose weight:

Before and After: The talk is that Shindong lost 22 kg (~ 50 lbs) to get to the After pic.

But this doesn’t mean that being a broomstick is attractive.

It’s true that being very muscular is not a necessity for men in East Asia.
There’s no need to have arms the size of your head, or a neck that’s big enough to have its own zip code.
Having Dwayne Johnson’s physique is not a necessity.
Actually, being “too muscular” can be a turnoff for many ladies.

Lean and cut is in.

Here’s a good example of an ideal physique for men:

Lee Dong-Wook – Height 1.84 m, (Between 6’1” and 6’2”) – Weight 78 kg (172 lbs)

#7- Facial and Body Hair

I don’t think there’s a difference in body hair when it comes to East Asian women.
However, and this is just my observation, there’s a bit of a difference in body and facial hair when it comes to East Asian men.

Compared to Europeans, all East Asian men tend to have far less body hair and facial hair. Many do not have any body hair at all on their upper torso (except for the pits).

However, when it comes to comparing between the various East Asian men, those Japanese men who have Jomon - 縄文- blood in them (the Jomon are thought to be the native people of prehistoric Japan) tend to have more body and facial hair than Chinese and Koreans.

I don’t know how many Japanese have Jomon blood in them (as opposed to being pure Yayoi, 弥生), but I would hazard a guess that it is not a tiny number.

Most East Asian men tend to keep their faces clean-shaven. Having facial hair of any sort is considered “unkempt” and not aesthetically pleasing. Not that many Chinese and Korean men can even grow much facial hair in the first place. No-Shave November isn't a thing in East Asia.

In my experience, the Japanese are slightly more accepting of men having facial hair.

As for body hair, having some is fine.
But the truth of the matter is, many East Asian men just don’t have that much body hair to begin with.

The majority of East Asian men sport a clean-shaven face.

Here is Godfrey Gao, a Taiwanese-Canadian actor and model, who regularly sports facial hair:

Godfrey Gao, with facial hair and a nice watch

#8 – Etiquette and Charisma

True, this is technically not a beauty standard, but more of a way to act around others.

Trying to unpack etiquette and charm, especially in a high context-culture – which is all the East Asian cultures, actually – requires at least a novella-length discussion.

For today, let’s just say that good deportment is important – how you carry yourself and how you interact with others. A man with great deportment makes others around him feel comfortable. Boorish behavior is uncouth and showing off one’s ignorance in discussion and in public is a turn-off. East Asians generally respect intelligence and good education.

Not wearing pants that sag to your knees can be very helpful in creating good deportment.

Anecdote incoming: I think quite a number of East Asian women (disclaimer: obviously not all!)
enjoy a man who has a bit of a Tsundere (ツンデレ) complex/personality.
This is just my opinion by the way!

Without going too much into it, basically, this means that the man might be a little cool at first (but still completely polite and courteous) – sort of like being stoic, or having a stiff upper lip – but, the more you get to know him, the more facets of his personality he’ll show to you, and the warmer and friendlier he’ll get.

On YouTube, I remember one comment saying (and I'm going to paraphrase here):
While girls in the “West” were busy reading and going all lovey-dovey over Edward Cullen, he of Twilight “I’m watching you as you sleep” fame, girls in Asia were tuning in to watch 400-year-old extra-terrestrial Do Min-joon slowly turning from a cool, stand-offish professor, to a boyfriend who would risk his own life to save his love.

Falling in love with a 400-year-old alien can change your life.

----------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

All of the above are just some of the factors that come together to form the shiny, relentless machinery that is the culmination of East Asian beauty standards.

I wish to point out that I am just reporting these beauty standards; I don’t necessarily support them. It goes without saying that these beauty standards can be restrictive, even for men, which in turn creates a narrow definition of what constitutes being physically attractive in East Asia.

Thank you for making it this far!

East Asian Beauty Standards for Men
18
13

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

• oddwaffle

You didn't talk about face standards. This is a classic but still being used today.

There are a couple face types that are considered good. They are Square, Round and Oval.

For men Square face is best. Sometimes called farm-field face (because the farm field is written as a square block with a cross in Chinese). Usually comes with a jawbone sticking out prominently. It represents strong and masculine face and gets better as the man ages.

For women, oval face is best. It's most common in manga. They are considered the face for beauty. Matured and stylish. The face of queens.

Round face is considered as gentle and fatherly or motherly. Also good face but not the best.

Is this still revelant?
  • Flamdring

@dantetheexplorer, thank you for your very interesting thoughts! Really like your attention to detail and eloquency in all of your articles and responses!

Despite being born in Asia (Kazakhstan), the first years of my life there I spent growing up in mainly Russian culture where Asian looks were mostly downplayed and often ridiculed. For many years I was even ashamed of having Asian features - I am 40% Asian. So I have only recently started to understand and accept that part of me, but sadly it is a slow process for me psychologically... 🙁

Is this still revelant?
    • Getting in touch with one's own roots is a difficult process and many who do so may struggle with the wider implications on how they fit into the local community / society. What you're going through and what you went through in the past is all pretty normal and par for the course.

In my opinion, I think you're doing the right thing. Understanding one's roots and where one fits into the bigger picture strengthens one's identity. It doesn't have to be the total of what you are, of course - there's only so much history some people can take - but at least you know your roots and you know who you are, and more importantly, you find peace in being who you are.

This journey, naturally, differs among individuals. Your journey is your own and I hope you find what you're looking for!

• Flamdring

@dantetheexplorer, thank you! Fully agreed with you that understanding one's roots strengthens one's identity. Where I live now, there is very little discrimination based on your physical appearance, so I understand that all the demons I have to fight reside in my mind. This is why it is a slow process because it is always easier to blame the others for one's own problems, but at least in my case it is only me who is ashamed of myself.

Definitely appreciate your articles and input! Hope you continue writing!

• Surrounding yourself with non-superficial and non-ignorant friends is also a great help!

Most Helpful Girls

• dancing_in_nebulas

Quite an eloquent read!

My, Asian men are so handsome. Lee Dong and Godfrey are perfect!

Asian male beauty is so downplayed in the West mainstream, but I think its moreso that Asians have a more reserved culture, so the men dont flaunt around as boldly as other races.

Asian men are lovely for that tsundere - I instantly thought of Kakashi from Naruto lol playing it cool / serious, but also friendly and warm.

Come to think of it, I've never met an Asian guy without such a collected demeanor.

Awesome myTake, wonderful eye candy here 💚

Is this still revelant?
    • Re: Asian male beauty.
      I think that those who are the most ignorant about East Asian cultures tend to be the ones who view everything about it negatively, including beauty standards. It's almost like the Golden Rule for Ignorance: "Talk far and loud about things you don't know much about."

Lol. I'm used to that by now. I just ignore it - like I said above, talking about things one doesn't know anything, as if one actually knew something about it, is rude and crude.

Thank you for sharing your insight! I really appreciate it!
      Love the comment about Kakashi - the only big question I have right now is: Is Kakashi a pervert? Lol.

Thank you!

• 😆

I wouldn't say a pervert, just guy lol - he wasn't particularly going out of his way to er, entertain his curiosities of women like Jiraiya 😆

I wish we moreso Easternized than Westernized - the world would be a lot more efficient and fun 💚

• You are right. No one beats Jiraiya - may he RIP.
      He was a great character :)

• cinderelli

it's a shame that east Asian men (and other races too) are not represented enough in mainstream media, some of these guys are super handsome <3

Is this still revelant?
    • I guess different cultures have different aesthetics. And generally, different interpretations of what it means to be "masculine". As I said to someone else here, East Asian masculinity is deeply rooted in Confucian principles, so it will be a little different compared to "Western" masculinity. I think culture also plays a huge role - for example, the US is a very direct, low-context culture, whereas all of East Asia has a more indirect, high-context culture, which tends to affect how "masculine" or "feminine" certain behaviors are perceived.

At the end of the day though, those with more exposure to other cultures tend to be the ones who can see the attractiveness in people from other cultures!

So, thank you for the comment!

• I'm more middle-eastern/central Asian, so I can completely understand the difference interpretations of beauty and masculinity. I personally am much more open-minded about different types of beauty in the world.
      I think the trend is moving from being pretty to Pretty+tough looking, with lush hair smooth skin but masculine hard body, maybe that's a result of consolidation of global mainstream media mixing with local. The other consequence is surging number of cosmetic surgeries in East Asia, parents themselves spend money on these surgeries for their kids which promotes westernization of Asian features.
      and you're welcome!

• Thanks for MHO!

1611
  • Can I enjoy their pics even if it isn't PC.

Being around Asian/Asian/American men I know there is not one type of body type or personality.

I think most people who watch dramas or listen to Korean music know that most of our favorites have had a few physical tweaks and make up hides scars, acne and aging. Also, many actors are opting not to get the double eyelid operation which most fans appreciate. Korean doesn't have a large percentage of double lidded people versus some other countries.

I've noticed too that many men are actually darker than their faces. They put lighter make up on men and women too but it is more noticeable with men because you can see their necks are darker. Slowly we are seeing more people who don't have porcelain skin.

I think kpop singers look boyish longer because of how thin they are required to be. I'm sure most of them wouldn't be that thin if they weren't in the industry.

Instead of creating a restrictive beauty standard I think at least to the people outside of asia i creates stereotypical ideas about Asian men. Some men are metrosexual in their dress and mannerism but then there are the guy who like hunting, camping and motorcycling There is such a variety of personalities. And all these guys in the pictures do not look like that when they are home. This is after hours of hair styling etc. I figure they are walking around in their old underwear at home.

• East Asian Beauty Standards for Men

• Yes. I've always wondered why the make-up artists don't do the necks as well since that's where the disparity is often most noticeable!

And yes, as I've mentioned to another poster here, it's all about meeting the demand of the industry and the fans. If the "boyish" look wasn't in, we would be seeing another different aesthetic on stage and on the big screen.

There are many varieties and personalities, just like with men in any other part of the world.

• BrittBratt2416

I feel like Asian men are being slept on cause I think Asian men are hella fine/cute. I was with an Asian guy at one point, he was the one that literally destroyed my heart for almost 3 years straight. haha

• I'm sorry to hear about that. I really am.
      I hope you don't think all Asian men are like that because of what he did.
      Asian men can be players and scoundrels and assholes and a lot of other bad things, just like other men.

• lol Trust if i did, then I wouldn't still think Asian men are attractive. Just cause that one broke my heart doesn't mean i think other Asian men are heart breakers.. haha My boo isn't Asian, He's of Spanish/Mexican decent but could easily get blend in with Asians and Asian culture.

• I 100% believe the blending part :)
      There are quite a bit of similarities between the cultures as well!

• GuidoThePizzaMaker

Do Asian ladies value looks like western women?
    I personally don't think so. I seem so objectively ugly Chinese guys who have awesome girlfriends!

Great take you covered every angle 😂
    Btw: both my Asian exes thought my body hair was really sexy, I don't know if they were exceptions

• In my personal opinion, South Korea is the most looks-focused culture out of the three East Asian cultures. China and Japan are less-so - other things can compensate for a lack of physical comeliness. Money and social status and a good education and good job can more than compensate for being physically unattractive. It really depends.

I didn't mention how women react to body hair. For the most part, unless you can knit a sweater (or two) out of your body hair, most don't mind a bit of body hair on men.

• Haha i guess my exes were exceptions 😂
      I am a monkey 😭

Yes I know education/status is everything to east Asians and rightfully so

• Well, unless your name is Caesar and you can walk on all fours, I think you're all good! :)

• Kutaiichu

I LOVE JIN and Bangtan! To be honest Asian men have way less pressure socially to look attractive compared to Asian women. However just like we have 'small face', 'pretty men' for Asian men is also hard to explain to others

• Haha. I can't say anything on men's behalf: I wear BB cream and lip balm :) Of course, both with SPF protection. And I use a lot of moisturizer for sure. But of course, I definitely agree with you that we men have less pressure to look attractive - it doesn't mean I don't feel the pressure though! As for "pretty men", yes, I think that's pretty challenging to explain to non-Asians, although the younger ones tend to get it very quickly.

• Oh, and thank you for sharing your insight!

• Kutaiichu

Your welcome ^^ Yup some people think pretty men are gay 🙄

• nobodysprincess

I saw Yang Yang, and I clicked on the article 😂😂😂 He’s one of my favorite Chinese actors 😍

😱 And you also referenced “My Love From the Star,” that’s one of my favorite K-dramas!!

But I tend to avoid articles like this ‘cause there’s always someone criticizing Asian men’s looks. Suddenly, I feel tired and need something to get my mind off those people’s comments.

• If I had a $ for every time someone said something ugly about East Asian / Asian's men's looks, I'd be... more financially well-off than I am now :)

The ones who most often make those statements are those who have very little exposure to East Asian / Asian communities. They don't have Asian friends. They can't find China on a map. (or India). They think fortune cookies are a Chinese concept. They think China, South Korea, and Japan are the same countries.

Ignorance often breeds contempt.
      Ignorance also breeds false bravado and ugliness.

And ignorance is actually something that runs counter to Confucian principles, which many East Asian / Asian communities still adhere to in their daily lives.

So, I can totally understand where you're coming from.

As for myself, I'm old enough and have lived in enough countries and continents across the globe to know that ignorance can be found anywhere.

Thank you for commenting! Yang Yang is definitely one of China's hottest stars at the moment!

• Pulimuli

All cultures and societies have ridiculous beauty standards, but that doesn't mean you are unattractive if you dont measure up to all of them

Take me for instance, im nowhere near ideal height for a scandinavian as im 3-4 inches below average height (average being 5'11-6ft) yet I've had many women attracted to me

• I have no doubt that you have attracted many women :)
      Beauty standards are there for industries and corporations to profit - a slick huckster can even create "how to pick up girls if you lack this or that " classes if he has the temerity and silver tongue to target insecure men.
      Somebody always wins out of other people's insecurities!
      The best way to counter that is to not play the game :)

• Red-Blaze

Thanks its nice to learn all this
    I hope you get taller 😉
    But you sure got the intelligent part down
    Thanks for sharing

• -Asca-

This pretty boy thing is a little over the top in my opinion but besides that I actually think Asian beauty standards look better than western ones.

• It tends to shift every now and again. 15 years ago, it was a little different.
      No one knows what the next iteration will be.

• June871

You forgot Rain (Korean singer).

• saeyamazaki

Agreed. Cha Eun Woo, Kim Dong Woo, Kim Ji Soo and Park Bo Gum are my favourites ahaha

• hahahmm

It’s not that standards are that different. Just that most westerners have only seen a tiny number of Asians. People who grew up in places with lots of Asians have totally different opinions. Like I grew up in a major west coat u. s. city with tons of Asians. Compared to the best looking Asian woman i’ve ever seen in person (a 10), I’ve never seen more than a 4 on American tv. But clueless people think those women on tv are 8+

Okay, maybe I saw one 5 on tv with a 10 butt. Ha

• LoU_Hades

I don't think that Asian guys enjoy the same level of interest among girls of my ethnicity than Asian girls are doing that among our boys.
    Of course there are exceptions but those confirm only the basic rule.

I'm don't try being offensive, Asian guys are okay and I have nothing against them... It's just my straight forward opinion.

• Mimi93

Great article! It makes so much sense :). I probably would be seen like a monster over there in east Asia lol

• Flamesofcinder

Asians=master race the never age! Besides some off them men look really attractive too me and I live in the in UK! 😬🤷‍♀️

• The only Asian man I think is hot is him

• imhungryrn

Maybe its just me preferring that average man type, but i personally doesn't like korea's beauty standards for men, that "beautiful, flowerboy men" just ain't my type, and I'm definitely not into those flower crowns and feminine gestures.

• Aiko_E_Lara

Not my style East Asian Beauty Standards for Men

• AkshiJanjua

i can't understand hairstyles in kpop lol
    but still everyone looks good

• cryingpoop

Asian men are so effin handsome. i hope i marry an Asian man one day

• Interesting article. So well written 👍👍👍

• MajesticTwelve

They don't even look like men to me.

• That's way understandable. You might not even look like a woman to them.
      I think it's all fair and square, at the end of the day.
      Different cultures, different aesthetics!

• Yeah, maybe. I mean I lived in Japan for 2 years and South Korea for 10 months, and was chased constantly by guys. And I mean constantly.
      But hey, you must know more than me about a western girls experience right? Maybe I'll call up your pillow wife and ask her all about it.

• Godfrey is pretty manly looking lol

I think the kpop culture softens the guys up a lot, for that dreamy look. Ya know, like how royal white guys wore powered wigs and heels.

They're "pretty boy" handsome, but the more rugged Asian guys are very distinguishable.

• i think these celebrities seriously lack masculinity. i don't know about East Asian men though

• East Asian masculinity has its roots deep in Confucianism, so East Asia's concept of "masculinity" is different from the West's - it would be a bit akin to comparing apples and oranges. Although, to be fair, various beauty standards do come and go over the years and are said to be more transient in nature compared to the overarching Confucian principles that still guide the lives of many folks in East Asia.

• that's all fine. my problem is with those guys in these pictures who are wearing make up

• Sir, I would hazard a guess and say that almost every male singer or actor in Hollywood wears make-up when they film or go on stage. I doubt Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Ryan Reynolds, or Ryan Gosling film their movies bare-faced - the make-up staff usually apply make-up to even out their skin tone, so that patchiness or puffiness of the face evens out, and also to conceal any dark circles, or heaven forbid, a zit. Even male news anchors get a bit of a touch-up before they go live on air. It's pretty much standard in this day and age considering that their faces are now on 4K Ultra-High Definition screens across the globe.

We should ensure that we separate celebrities from ordinary men on the streets.
      In the same way that the average American man on the street doesn't look like Chris Evans when he's filming on set (and Chris Evans probably doesn't look like his on-screen self 365 days of the year), so too does the average man in Shanghai, Seoul, or Tokyo not look like those countries' top celebrities who carry out their day jobs as celebrities while Tweeting to their millions of followers on their social media accounts.

• Your articles are so informative 👍🏻

• themomo84

Godfrey Gao is a god. Ty 4 the mytake.

• well well written bro!

• Interesting myTake

• Massageman

Thanks for the info.