Why do a lot of women hate video games?

Some play games some hate it some don't like it

6333

What Girls Said 63

• Howard Scott Warshaw, the creator of Yars Revenge, gave a talk about the game at GDC. Yars was released in 1982 for the Atari VCS, and if you haven't played it, its a space shooter where you play a big bug and you have to shoot a cannon at this spaceship thing, and you load your cannon by eating its shields - describing it doesn't really do it justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvjajVf3BEc

It's pretty incredible! Anyway, he was saying, they were "Play Testing" the game, which meant something somewhat different than what 'playtest' today means. Basically they had people come in and play two games, give their details, and rate the two games. One was somethig that was already out & doing well, & the other was the game they were testing. Basically, they wanted to see how people compared it to games on the market before they released it.

Yars outperformed the game it was running against in the test scores - which was 'Missile Command', a very popular and beloved game. The playtest scores are sorted into four categories: Boys, Girls, Adult Men, and Adult Women, so they can see who they might want to market it to. Yars overwhelmingly performed the best with one group: adult women. Atari marketed it to boys.

Why? Who knows... Warshaw says there was 'a lot of politics' at Atari, which is something Warren Robinett (Adventure, 1980) also talked about during his GDC talk. Atari was a weird company. Warhsaw suggests it didn't fit their profile for what adult women want to play: it was a space shooter, which is something women "dont want to play" according to Marketing (who, he adds sarcastically, "dont play games but know all about who wants to play games"). Atari felt like they were struggling to make games that would appeal to adult women, but kept marketing the games women liked to boys! (Ironically, one of the two female developers at Atari - Carla Meninsky - worked on Star Raiders, another space shooter!)

Anyway, here's my answer: women generally dont hate videogames, but people generally misuderstand how women feel about videogames, and the kind of games women like are often misunderstood or not considered.

P. S. can you imagine what shmups would look like today if they had been marketed to women, and not boys? I can't really imagine it. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how shmups turned out - dead in the water for the industry, but in continual elaboration in the doujin & freeware world. Some genres only have life when they lose mainstream appeal...

• The same reason guys don't like getting dragged to go shopping with her or watch that incredible cheesy young adult love movie that she and other women are freaking about over. There are just some girls who don't care for gaming all that much and then there are some who do, it's possible that they might not have a problem with their boyfriend/husband playing games. What they don't like is how they becomes so obsessed with gaming that they start to neglect other things that are important in life. It could be education, career, family, but more than likely, her who's being put on the back burner and gaming on the top. It's not saying your hobby is waste of time and that you can't have fun, you just got to know when to balance everything out. I personally don't mind that my boyfriend plays games, I actually like watching him play them cause there are games I have no idea what to do in. I also like watching walkthroughs as well.

• I never used to until my current boyfriend.

The odd game? Fine. A guys weekend? Fine.

My boyfriend goes to work, the second he comes home he's on the computer.
    I cook dinner, he comes down to eat and is immediately back until bed.

On a weekend he's up at 9am and games for about 18 hours. If I ask for so much as a hug and a kiss I'm an "interruption"

And then I'm blamed for lack of intimacy 😂

Yeah. Tell me what's to love about that.

• You have a lot of me time

• 4d

Red dead it great. Do you play gta with mods?

• 4d

Nah not normally. Problem with these games is they aren't split screen as it would be easier to game together on 1 device.

• I think some people think it's a waste of time.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with entertaining yourself, so long as it doesn't take up most or all of your time.

• I've tried to play and I'm TERRIBLE!! I just look at the roof if it's FPS.. lol Being terrible is embarrassing and since I'm so bad I have no idea what's going on when I watch someone else play, so it's really boring for me.. and I've asked many people to help me.. I'm just unhelpable. I can't help but just truly suck at video games.

I wouldn't say I hate video games and I can understand why people like them as I love my mobile games like Hayday and Hungry Shark, but they don't require any skill. Lol

It is really annoying when you come round to visit someone and they're just drooling at the TV and attached to the controller.. like hello? Talk to me and give me cuddles, you loser..

A lot of games that people play are super violent and honestly the shooting and blowing up noises give me a really bad headache. But whatever floats your goat and makes you happy? :)

• Am I the only guy who actually like turns off the games and gives the friend or girlfriend or girl or whatever all the attention even if just texting the girl.. Like I just pause the game even in online so I get killed?

• I honestly couldn't be more indifferent to video games. As long as a person has their priorities straight, games ain't bad.

• I've been playing video games since I was 5. Lol
    I have to stay away from them when I am in school because if I play any I will end up getting addicted to it and will procrastinate on my homework.

• I wouldn't really care as long has he had a job and took cardboard of his family and wasn't someone who stayed home and played all day. He definitely also needs to make sure he pays attention to his children and wife. My husband has something similar. It's dirt bikes and he loves them but I'm happy he's happy. Also he has a great job and he makes sure I get loved and taken on dates and he plays cars with the kids and has tickle games. He's a great father. So I don't care that he loves playing on his dirt bikes so much. It would be the same with video games.

• Seems like some see it like a waste of time, but the same girls spend hours on facebook and instagram.

• Was about to write this. I guess it's just a case with how one chooses to waste their time

• I don't know. Seems more like an individual thing than a woman thing. I don't know any women that hate video games, at least not of the top of my head... but those women who do, might just be that they're no good at it, or they just don't see the attraction, or they bought into the "violent video games turns people into killers" propaganda...

Or maybe it's not the games themselves they hate, but the fact that said games steal boyfriends' attentions when the boyfriends should be paying attention to the girls. ^_^ Could be lots of reasons.

• I guess some think it's immature and for little boys. My boyfriend is a gamer and his ex hated it. He works everyday, but after work he likes to play video games. I don't mind because I love video games.

• I love video games!~
    My favourite game is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

• i think it's because the person who she wants attention from the most, they give attention to video games more than paying attention to her i guesss

• I like video games (and boardgames) They are cool and stuff. Especially if you play together. But some guys just want to play alone (or with their friends. Usually online) all day. That doesn't really work for a relationship. Also it's like "Is there ANYTHING ELSE you are into?" No and I don't just mean me... But I find people without balance to be well.. lacking. Obviously. My ex was an avid gamer but he also very into fitness (he ran marathons), the outdoors and a bunch of other stuff. Games were a part of his life, not his life.

• I don't understand why girls could hate video games either, I love them.

• I don't lol. I enjoy playing video games, have been playing since i was 6. I wouldn't call myself a gamer or a pro at it though.

• I love video games. Fallout being one of my favourites.

• Vid games are awesome🎶

• I like video games.

• I do to it a stress reliefer just like i like to color in coloring books its just adult coloring books now they are pretty cool. There is all kinda of them i even have adult coloring apps on my phone the are cool as heck

• There are guys who strongly dislike videogames as well. I guess it's up to what you like to do in your free time after all

• I used to play all the time! grew up playing the ps1 and my favourite was crash team racing... still have it too

• I'm just not into them. They don't seem that fun.

• You just haven't found that game yet

• 5d

And ninja gaiden

• 5d

Of you want chill fun not much effort, play a lego game

• What does this have to do with women? We're just people, not all of us like the same things..

• true, we really don't like the same things well maybe some things

• I'm horrible at video games. I like watching my husband play.

• I like it... lol

• I LOVE VIDEO GAMES DUDE

• I can't play video games at all because i have motion sickness. I can't even watch them at all. If i watch for more than 2 minutes I'll go dizzy and feel like puking so yea. People have told me how fun gaming is and it's not that i don't want to try, i can't.

• Not only do I love video games, I also don't think I've ever had a female friend that didn't also play video games (especially pokemon and fire emblem).
    I think a lot of the misconceptions about girls hating video games comes from the fact that, yeah, girls may not always be as interested in the same types of games. For example, a simple game of candy crush may be more appealing than WOW. When games are tailored to different interests, they get different audiences.
    https://www. theguardian. com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/52-percent-people-playing-games-women-industry-doesnt-know
    women are slowly taking over...

Sad thing is, 99% of the time on mmo's and games like Minecraft, people automatically assume I'm a guy, and they don't believe me when I say I'm a girl. Apparently it's easier to believe that I'm a guy pretending than it is for them to believe that a girl could actually be interested in trying to build the most badass pixely dragon possible...
    oh well.

• It's just difficult because people catfish and rather than risk it most guys will just assume someone else is a dude. Some guys just don't care either though.

• It's just because they don't see why it's that much fun, I guess. I suppose you have things you don't like too. And you have reasons why you dislike those things.

Girls don't really get involved in gaming, unless they have friends who play games too or they discover it on their own. The stereotype is that girls don't play games, and since society has a huge influence on everyone the chance that a girl does start playing games is small. It's just that we don't really get involved in gaming like guys do. Plus we don't want to waste our time playing games if we can do do other things that don't involve sitting down for two hours straight staring at a screen and getting frustrated over things not going the way we want them to.

(I've stopped playing games because I am a bad loser, I don't own fun games, I don't have that much spare time and I want to focus on school. I do watch youtube pretty much non-stop though, I guess the commentary makes things way more fun.)

• Two hours? Those are rookie numbers. I've sat and played video games for nearly two days straight... I also took stretch breaks and went and got a poptart once in awhile also.

• Yeah you're right. I should just go for it, sit down and learn. And making friends online seems like a lot of fun too so that shouldn't be a problem. Thank you. :P
      Now I just have to find out when I can go and do all of this without messing up on schoolwork and without feeling guilty about not doing anything 'useful' that day. 😅

• Well weekends are a good time. People are usually working during the weekdays. Everyone has to start somewhere and someone mentoring you in a game could be good practice for them learning how to teach or maybe they'll even learn something new. So don't look at it as not being useful. Think about it as learning so you'll be able to be more useful. You'll be able to teach someone once you get good at the game.

• I don't hate it, I think it's something guys attracted to as being a guy to have fun, like, shopping for me..

• More from Girls
    33

What Guys Said 33

• They actually think the stupid social pecking order mind games that exist only in women's collective hive mind is somehow more real or more important than Mario eating the mushroom so he can fly.

They have their games, we have ours. And nothing infuriates them more than when we don't play their games with them. So hating our games is their form of "revenge" for the fact that we aren't slaves to the Great Feminine Unconscious, or "The Matriarchy," if you will.

What they call "The Sisterhood" is something all women work for and protect and believe in, but it only actually benefits the young and pretty girls anyway, even though EVERY woman is expected to sacrifice for it constantly, their whole culture of decorating themselves and everything around them is all about conformity to a single standard.

• They hate them because their boyfriends/husbands get too involved in video games & they don't give them as much attention as they want.

• They don't hate the game they hate it taking time away from them

• As a guy myself I even hate how much other guys are crazy about them and spend hours playing. I can understand how women hate that. I myself can't get into discussions with other guys about Call of Duty or the latest games. Growing up they were fun, but now I have other things I'd rather focus on.

• I'm glad, that most women don't mind it.
    Because those females, who hate their boyfriends hobby gaming are definitely not girlfriend material, are needy and would only make their lives harder than being single.

And of course those, who hate it don't care about their boyfriend but are fully self absorbed where it's all about me, me and me.

• They seem them as a pointless waste of time, their men should be spending that time sitting next to her on the couch watching reality TV and being shown pictures of cats that she found on Facebook.

• because we enjoy them a lot and obviously nothing kills women more than seeing men have a good time.

lets not forget that they know its the only thing that can distract us from them

• The ones that are geared more towards quality time, starting a family... being productive, focused on the the matrix and everything it has to offer - Prolly won't like her hubby playing video games..

• Both my girlfriend and I love video games. The problem is that they don't try to enjoy games together with their significant other. And when their significant other does try to get them to play, it's not the sort of games that they want to play.

• @RachelleDraws yea cause it's probably super cozy having her watch and sit close by while playing your favourite game and being all cool in front of her lol... she cheers you on is paying attention and she's all in it...

but you can't make him I guess... that's at all ages. If he likes the game he will play with you otherwise it's just miserable playing a game you don't really like... lol

• Haha and its so annoying when they try to bother you and talk to you about your day while you are playing. I see so many women do that in relationships. The few women who do like video games know what I am talking about, they hate being interrupted too.

• They hate it because it takes away the focus and attention on them. Same thing with football on TV.

They are eternal insecure children who can not deal with their lack of attention. Without generalizing of course.

• Most girls I know do play them, so I mean maybe I just hang around a different crowd *shrugs*

Also is she stabbing him in the eye with a fork /=

• lol... there are a lot of men, like me, that think they are an incredible waste of time...

• I know girl's that like to play and/or watch. Especially if it's a long the lines of Final Fantasy or similar.

• I know many girls who play games and love gaming. I also know girls who play hours upon hours of games on their phone and hate gaming (even though the crappy phone games are still gaming). Everyone has a game. You just got a find it.

• that's subjective.

Many play video games, many just don't advertise their gender because the gaming community is full of pervs that do nothing but troll women.

• Well my current girlfriend's just neutral about them, she likes playing simple video games but hate advanced FPS or RPGs.

• I played it all the time and thanks to it I am single. 😂

• They just do

• Who said that? There are lot Women gamers 58 percent of mobile gamers in the US are women.

They are not female Dota 2 Players out there, most of them from South America, Russia

• Video games are typically are for kids. A grown woman with a head on her shoulders and ambition doesn't have time for play play.

• I love having the opportunity to co-op with my lady friends.

• Cuz the stupittt

• Why did that woman stab the guy in the eye? I don't understand what happened there or what it has to do with video games. I don't think women hate video games. What makes you think they do?

• My girlfriend loves video games

• Because most of the times girls don't like to live in the moment.

• Some wants to expand quality time with their..., But they just engage in playing game

• They don't they just hate the one's you play.

• Halo is lit tho. I don't see why you wouldn't love killing people as a team. (that sounds bad once I type it)

• Yes cuz most of the girls don't enjoy challenge, only the bravest and the sexiest do

• Because only autistic guys play it.

• More from Guys
    3