What It's Like To Have Generalized Anxiety Disorder

MissMc3

Nobody Can Ever Really Understand What You're Going Through

It almost feels like every time you talk to someone a little voice in the back of your mind is yelling "please help me, I'm so alone, I'm losing my mind!". But you can't exactly explain it to anybody, because you feel like they won't believe you or that they'll think you're weak. It's like you keep trying to reach out but every time you do, reality reaches out and punches you in the face to shut you up. It's agony.

The Feeling Doesn't Come and Go

The best way to describe it is that feeling when you almost fall backwards in a chair when tilting to far, or just barely trip down the stairs. But it isn't sudden. It's constant. You are constantly tipping back in your chair, and the front legs of it are never touching the ground.

Sleep is Hell

Sleep becomes a difficult task. Insomnia becomes accepted as normal to you, because it becomes routine. And when the disorder progresses, bed time become a painful countdown to panic. You start to really feel your heart palpitations, bad thoughts run through your head constantly, and you feel panic rise in your throat for no particular reason. When you can't control these feelings you start to bawl. You start crying your heart out. A common feeling is that you could die in your sleep, so you stay awake crying for as long as you can until your mind can't handle any more and you pass out from exhaustion.

Alcohol Becomes An Easy Way Out

A common misperception is that sad/stressed/anxious/depressed people drinking on their own, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes the solution to your feelings is to cling to people and drink with them. Attempting to free your mind and be happy and have a good time. You start to do this too often, and it begins to make you feel emptier.

Consistant Loneliness

Whether you are alone or in a crowd you constantly feel stuck inside your own head. You feel suffocated by yourself. And with your anxiety comes anger, often an anger at people who don't understand you (see above), which makes you close people off and you start feeling like you have no friends. It is a consistent cycle, and you can't stop it.

You Can't Concentrate On Anything, But You Need To Be Doing Something

You find it incredibly difficult to concentrate on simple things, like reading or the movie you're watching. You also feel very aggitated by doing nothing, so you continuously keep switching tasks back and forth, trying to find something to do with yourself, but you get bored of them, stressed out by them, or simply uncapable of keeping focus on the task.

The World Seems To Be Tearing Apart

It feels like everything in your life is pointless and falling apart; like everything you do is worthless and insufficient. You constantly play the words "what's the point?"

My point in this is for anyone who feels this way to know, you are not alone. And for everyone to watch for signs of a person who could be feeling this way, they need you, don't let them down.

Here is a link for anyone who needs someone to talk to, https://stinto.net/y8t4b

10
16
16Girl Opinion
10Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Spiorad_Aisce
    Great take - Unfortunately I understand and know many of those points very well - While you said sometimes it is impossible to explain you made a great effort to do so - Every article like this helps spread awareness of mental health issues and for people still at the undiagnosed stage it is good for them to hear other peoples' stories then they can say "That is what it is like for me, I should research it, ring a helpline, see a doctor" - It was 20 years before I went to a doctor and I found it a great help, not saying there will be a miracle cure but it can start you on the path to dealing with your mental health issues - Learning to cope with it is by far the most important thing, everybody's road is different and usually what you end up doing is a mish mash of all the things you learn about - I don't advocate any approach except extensive research from which you can try things, keep the ones that work for you.
    For anyone suffering, I wish you peace of mind
    blogs.psychcentral.com/.../Learn-To-Surf-Quote.jpg
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• kaylaS91
    Nice take! Though I don't have GAD, I've been a pretty anxious person for as long as I can remember so I can certainly relate to a lot of the points.

My developmental psychopathology class had student presentations yesterday and someone actually presented on GAD in children. They showed this video about 'taming the worry dragons' and I thought it was pretty accurate, not to mention adorable. :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVzlnJcfXU
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

159
  • COCOCHANEL
    i think i have experienced mild to moderate forms of what you described but it's not constant. the biggest issue i face is self-doubt.
  • the_rake
    I like this take and very much want to write a similar take to this, it is about distinguishing between anxiety, social awkwardness and introversion - three commonly confused aspects. The reason it is related and why I identify with your take is because people do not always feel comfortable talking about their anxieties - there could be many reasons for this, e. g. pragmatic - if you feel that there is danger or some consequence to opening up because the world will judge and maybe even penalise you for something that is not necessarily even your fault. the other one is psychosomatic, when you feel that opening up about something will cause great emotional pain because you have to face something about yourself, or something that you have experienced that you find unpleasant and unbearable to deal with. because people do not understand your reasons for opening up, they will see you either as a cold, unfriendly and hostile person, or that they will see you as someone that is unnecessarily shy and cowardly (which is perceived as effeminate, unbecoming behaviours for a man). the worst case scenario is that they will perceive you as someone that has something to hide and in this they may be correct but the people that really have something to hide do not feel bad about it and they are happy to lie and conceal the truth of their pasts. but some people are very ignorant and do not want to take time to understand the intricacies of the things that could be going through a sufferers head.
  • BaileyisDarcy
    Talking helps so much. Problem is, you never feel like you can.

You tell the counsellor things only that apply to anything they brought up because you want your problems to stay hidden, even while looking fir help.

You might have the bestest friends ever but of course they wouldn't understand. They won't know. They won't care.

Parents will just try to shove pills down your throat or simply tell you to get over it, walk it off.

Teachers are only paid to care and co-workers only care for as long as they are on the clock. And even then they probably dont even pretend to care.

.

Funny thing is, none of this is true. It feels like it is, but it isn't.

If i could get past my inability to ask for help, my counsellor would have a much easier time actually helping me.

If i hadn't taken so long to realise that my friend knows exactly how i feel and is more than willing to lend me her shoulder, i would be a lot better off than i am now.

My parents still dont get it, but its not that they dont care. Its that theyre both ignorant and blind. And i won't be the one tomake them see. I gave up on that a while ago.

Some teachers do care. They care a whole lot. If you have one you trust, go to them. Im just working out how great it is to have an adult in your system who legitimately cares for you.
    I dont work so i can't say much about the coworkers one. But it most likely isn't true. Just need to put in the effort.
  • notbrxthing
    I haven't left my house in weeks due to my severe anxiety disorder. I'm currently on home instruction because I can't leave my house to go to school. even with medication and therapy I'm not getting better. I feel like anxiety disorders aren't taken serious enough. they can really be dibilitating
    • MissMc3

You're not alone and the world isn't as bleak as it seems sometimes, you're going to make it through this as long as you keep fighting it.

• Artist10
    Good take, I have known people with anxiety just didn't know they had it over the years. I always forgot about it.
    Melatonin pills seem to help with sleep, I have used them when trying to adjust to a ''new'' sleep schedule. Once my body adapts to it, I get off the pills and sleep normally.
    If you find the things you enjoy and relax you, it might help.
  • 9mfeo
    I wouldn't describe my GAD as a "little voice." For me, it actually feels like a constant buzzing. My brain is always going and I don't really know how to shut it off most of the time (or at least when I'm bad. I haven't been all that anxious lately, due to extensive therapy and learning more coping mechanisms). I don't always have difficulties sleeping - that's like one of the few things that I can do when I'm really anxious. Nothing else though.
  • Remonster
    Oh I've had this for many years. The only way I came out of it was when I was able to have some faith in myself again. The meds did nothing, only a mentality change got me where I am today.

But yes, easier fucking said than done, I know!
  • CandyStripes77
    I felt exactly this way before! I found out I had a dairy allergy that was causing it. I've always beens sensitive to it and I thought I only had a mild intolerance... I didn't realize I was allergic. I stopped eating it and this stuff gradually faded.
    • And I had everything people are mentioning in the replies too. The heart attack feeling that never goes away. The WEIRD as hell buzzing in my mind. I had ALL of that stuff. But, on top of getting rid of the dairy I also forced myself to change my thought patterns. It might sound silly, but I would imagine that I was letting go of all of the obsessive and negative thoughts. Like in my mind I would imagine a mini me. And all of the bad thoughts were black clouds that I was stuck in. And I made myself separate from all of them and told myself I'd never going near them again. Everyone kept telling me to change my habitual thoughts, but I'm a really visual person so I had to imagine a scenario. It really seemed to help over time...

• 9mfeo

Correlation is not causation, my dear.

• Ginnyweasley97
    Thanks for this. My mom is a psychiatrist and she diagnosed me when I was 15. I really like the analogy you said in the second picture. I have always described it when you are going down stairs and you miss a step, and you get that mini heart attack but it doesn't go away when you realize you just missed a step. In my psychology class my teacher handed us articles about the good features that people tend to have when they are diagnosed with anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder tend to have. I remember one of the characteristics of anxiety, is that those with anxiety tend to feel things deeply and have a ton of sympathy. I just thought no kidding. If something happens and if I was even slightly involved, I will overthink it and find a way to hold myself accountable for everything.
    • Read my entry. What would your mom probably say about my case?

• loveskittens
    I'm pretty sure this describes half the population of all westernized societies. I've come to accept my insignificance and I still exist. Most people aren't as significant as they'd like to think they jusy keep runnig from the truth.

I'm clearly a positive person.
  • fauchelevent
    I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety too. A lot of this doesn't really apply to me and my experience with it but the parts that did really stick with me, so nice take 😊
  • RJGraveyTrain
    As someone who suffers from GA myself I found this take informative and well written.
  • damnwinter
    Thanks. This helped, in that I don't feel that alone anymore. Won't last long, but it's nice, for a change :D
  • ConsultantIsBack
    Forgive my ignorance, but isn't their a whole lineup of medicinal prescriptions (SSRIs, etc.) that can mitigate some/most of the affects of clinical anxiety disorders?
    • Remonster

Yes and no, because their track record is flaky at best. They work in various degrees for a various people and the side-effects can in some cases be worse than the original condition they're supposed to treat.

• Pat8707

What @Remonster said. Also they have a teeny tiny chance to break you and make you a psychopath.

• SakuraChii
    I have depression and anxiety. It affects my grades and sometimes I get really sad or insecure and think of traumitizing moments involving bullying. it has nothing to do with craziness so ignore that guy. I take lexapro and it has made me a bit more stable, I noticed that I'm less sensitive to things now and its more difficult to break me. I hope that there will be better support in the future we can be grateful that we dont live in a time where a common case like depression or anxiety is an automatic trip to the aslyum.
  • ObscuredBeyond
    1, 3, 5, 6, and 7, I can relate to all too well. In my case, there's also headaches, drowsiness, feeling defeated when the weather doesn't clear up, constant fear of public humiliation, and frequently being haunted by traumatic memories. Obsessive intrusive thoughts, with one replacing another just as soon as the one has run its course, being very picky about what constitutes fair criticism, constant fear of betrayal from romantic interests (or deception,) etc.

Bad dreams include being chased by jackals, being stuck in a Groundhog Day Loop, waking up to find the house or apartment destroyed, family members turning into monsters, being lost, not having legs, discovering a counterfeit Heaven, being locked out, being stalked by snakes, thugs attack at random, etc.
    • She said your case sounds like social anxiety

• @Ginnyweasley97 : Thanks. I was thinking C-PTSD, but the two could feed each other. Although, I rarely ever get dissociative. I know situation B is not Situation A. Yet, there is the looming threat of deja vu, and an insatiable impulse to defy it. "Oh no, not this time!" I really enjoyed the scene in Age of Ultron where Hawkeye gets the jump on Scarlet Witch and says: "No thanks. I already done the whole mind control thing. Not a fan."

I sometimes wish I could do that to my everyday life.

• SomeGuy37
    I don't mean to crap in your cheerios, but it sounds like life! The daily shit that we all face! Maybe you are more sensitive, or aware, but I grew up in a time when my dad would smack me in the back of the head and tell me to get up, go to work, and make something of myself!!
    Life is hard, and you need to fight, and live, and not just have a 'condition'!
    "Survival of the fittest!!"
    seems like so many, now, need drugs to get through the day!! I grew up, before that, with hard knocks!! if you got a D, or failed, you got a good beating by dad, and then you did better!
    • MissMc3

Well sorry to hear about your dad but GAD isn't caused by your dad telling you not to be lazy. My dad beat me, told me to go to work, took every paycheque, and told me that at 5'7 and 120 pounds I was overweight which caused me to develop an eating disorder, which unto that caused me to develop severe anxiety to the point where every night I'd go unconscious from crying so hard because I irrationally believed I would die. So sorry, but you don't seem to understand that other people have actual problems that cause a chemical imbalance in your brain. Don't be an insensitive asshole.

• Pampered
    I refuse to go on medication and seek therapy for my apparent "illness"... I've improved a hell of a lot better without it. I noticed a lot of people don't get better with anxiety and it's because they rely on meds and some person you're paying to listen to your problems and give advice that you're most likely not going to take. Just get out there, force yourself to not care what others think even though you do, and expose yourself to the uncomfortability and the inevitable conclusion that it's all in your own head.
  • browny-sy
    thanks for an article
  • Anonymous
    This explains how my daughter feels on a daily basis. She has had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I noticed it when she was very young.. because I too have suffered from panic attacks. I recognized it when she would have problems sleeping... she'd start complaining about being afraid. I knew right away. Even as a toddler she'd cling to me at social events. She disliked being around lots of people, even very young.
    It started to worsen around age 10. She manages by keeping herself busy. When she's not busy, it's a problem. At times... it puts her into a depression. The sad thing is... she is confused as to why she feels this way. Medication has helped a bit but the side effects are not worth it. It's a complex disorder that tends to have a genetic connection. We have several people in our family that have some form or diagnosis of Anxiety. OCD included as it is an Anxiety disorder. It's manageable! I suffer from mild anxiety but I work through it. Mostly through self-motivation. Talk about it. Educate yourself. There's no shame in this..
  • Anonymous
    I have this and I absolutely do not agree with this.
  • Anonymous
    Such a stupid, predictable, cliche , basic unoriginal take or whatever. It's like something a dumb money hungry therapist would say. Also the " you are not alone " part made me cringe. I've heard that way too many times always wrong. I am alone. when will people stop pretending that they care?
    • AidaRoma

I care. You're are alone, as we all are. I think the point is there are a lot of people that suffer in the same way. In that case, you're not alone in this... Maybe this seems predictable but there's nothing wrong in talking about it, and gaining an understanding. What has helped me is prayer. But it takes work to do this...

• Anonymous
    Never date a woman on medican
    Out of all the antidepressants I’ve personally seen women take, Lexapro has been the most common. It is used to treat general anxiety and depression. The pill itself is small and rather unassuming in appearance: one side is marked with the letters “FL,” while the other contains the dosage information in milligrams.
    I don’t know what “FL” means, but if I had to guess, I would say it most likely stands for “Fucked-up Life,” because that’s exactly the kind of life every woman taking Lexapro has. (In all seriousness, “FL stands for Forest Laboratories—the makers of Lexapro)
    3. Prozac (Fluoxetine)
    prozac
    Another very popular choice among the batshit crazy ho-bags of America is Prozac. It is used to treat a myriad of afflictions ranging from depression and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), to bulimia and anorexia. The pills are very easy to spot: they are green and white with “Prozac” prominently displayed along with the corresponding milligram dosage (typically 20mg).
    4. Xanax (Alprazolam)
    xanax
    If a drug features the letter “X” multiple times, then you know it’s some pretty potent shit. Xanax is a sedative that is used to treat panic attacks and other anxiety related issues. Washing down “Zannies” with a nice tall glass of cheap pinot grigio is one of the modern American woman’s favorite pastimes, so keep your eyes peeled for the signature “Xanax bar” while conducting your snooping missions.
    In most cases, the pills are white with “Xanax” displayed on one side, and the dosage on the other. They are very distinctive and easy to identify.
    • Anonymous

5. Paxil (Paroxetine)
      Paxil is another very common SSRI that is used to treat depression, anxiety, and OCD. The pills themselves are very easy to recognize: they are color coded by their milligram content, thus making it easy to judge just how crazy the bitch is at a glance, which is convenient. “Paxil” is also clearly marked on the tablet.
      6. Zoloft (Sertraline)
      A fan favorite amongst the mentally ill crowd, Zoloft is designed to treat OCD, PTSD, and every man’s favorite—Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). For the unfamiliar, PMDD is PMS on steroids. If you’ve ever dated a woman who turns into an insufferable asshole when she’s on her period, then just wait until you come across one with this PMDD nonsense. Per WebMD, here’s the list of things you get to look forward to when you encounter such a woman:

• Anonymous

Mood swings
      Depressed mood or feelings of hopelessness
      Marked anger, increased interpersonal conflicts
      Tension and anxiety
      Irritability
      Decreased interest in usual activities
      Difficulty concentrating
      Fatigue
      Change in appetite
      Feeling out of control or overwhelmed
      Sleep problems
      Physical problems, such as bloating, breast tenderness, swelling, headaches, joint or muscle pain.
      Being a cunt
      That’s sounds like lot of bullshit to put up with just for some pussy, doesn’t it? I thought so, too. So whenever you see that little sky blue, light green, or off-white colored pill with “Zoloft” displayed on it—run.

• Anonymous

These pill popping broads are not to be taken seriously in any way, shape, or form—they’re losers. And what do losers do? They fucking lose, and they’ll bring your ass along for the ride if you let them. Just because these women get their drugs from a pharmacist, and not some low-life drug dealer working a street corner, doesn’t mean their issues have legitimacy.
      Doctors write out bullshit antidepressant scripts to whiny women every single day, so don’t get suckered in by a woman’s sob stories about her “mental issues” or her oh-so difficult life. Women create their own problems due to their inherent impetuous nature, their severely lacking logical reasoning skills, their inability to understand cause and effect, and their refusal to accept responsibility for their actions—they bring this shit on themselves. They are not to be pitied, they are to be avoided.

• Anonymous
    I have generalized anxiety, and it does come and go for me. a lot of the issues you seem to have I don't. not every individual experiences it the same.