26 d

I've Never Had Alcohol

Anonymous
Ive Never Had Alcohol

I've literally never had an alcoholic beverage. Never been drunk. Never bought alcohol. Never tasted it. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I made the choice not to drink when I was twelve. I know that sounds crazy, like what does a 12 year old really know about alcohol, but I got a phone call when I was twelve from my best friends mom who told me that my friend had been struck by a drunk driver right after she'd gotten off the bus one afternoon as she was legally crossing the street in the crosswalk.

Ive Never Had Alcohol

This guy had been so wasted that he managed to drag her under his car for about 3 blocks before he was stopped. He could have killed my best friend. It's a hundred years later, but even typing that brings back every emotion I had on that phone call. She was "lucky." She ended up with 4 screws drilled into her skull and a halo to stabilize her fractured spine, a broken arm and leg, fractured wrist, and the loss of a lot of her skin. It took a really long time to recover because some random couldn't put down the bottle.

Ive Never Had Alcohol

I knew at 12, I never wanted to be a person who could do that to someone because of a substance and the day I was able to visit her for the first time in the ICU made that very clear in my mind. Of course, you grow up. You see people drinking responsibly, and you know that that's not everyone, but it didn't change my mind. I made the choice not to drink and that was it for me. Despite being told that this would hurt my social/dating life as I got older, it never has because my core group of friends and people I date, all who drink themselves, know this about me and have to be okay with it. Period. They've never uninvited me to hang out, and I never stopped hanging out with them if we were at a club or bar because it's my business not to drink and not my business to tell them what to do or not do if they want to drink responsibly or if they are just getting drunk in their own home.

Ive Never Had Alcohol

When I went to college, the pressure to drink was enormous. Every dorm party, bar, club, event, house party, there was alcohol everywhere and some people were extremely aggressive when it came to trying to "make me" drink, but it just wasn't for me and having told my brother, who only occasionally drank, about some of these experiences, he told me his trick of filling a solo cup with water or soda and drinking that at parties because people would just assume you were drinking and leave you alone. He was right.

Ive Never Had Alcohol

Now as a proper adult, there are far fewer people who care whether I drink or not but on occasion, there are people who feel it's an insult if you don't drink, or they want to be 'that person' who gets you to drink your first sip, or they don't trust you for some reason, because you aren't drinking. It can be annoying, but for those out there that don't drink for whatever reason, know in your mind, that it is your personal choice whether you do or don't drink and that even if you feel the pressure to drink, you can say no if you don't want to. I would never, and have never lectured anyone drinking as to what they should and should not do because that's their choice, but they too need to respect that if you don't want to drink, that's your own choice as well.

I've Never Had Alcohol
60
22

AI Bot Choice

Superb Opinion
  • dwcl99
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!!

(I'm sorry to use all caps, but I really wanted to convey how happy I am to read this).

I'm the exact same way, been that way since around 12 or 13 years old as well.

My decision came from a few things, but mostly from just listening to other people in school talk about how drunk or "wasted" they got over the weekend, and what stupid thing they did, and how they don't remember what they did, and stuff like that. In addition to hearing about all the ways in which alcohol can ruin not only your life, but the lives of countless others, it was just like, "what's the point?"

Why would I willingly put myself in a situation where I wouldn't be in control of my own body and actions, and not remember what I did, for what? A little bit of fun? There are plenty of other ways to have fun.

I decided early on that I was going to take an "all or nothing" approach to alcohol, seeing as how if you do a little bit, there is a higher likelihood of you doing more and more, and then boom, you're waking up in front of a dumpster somewhere covered in your own puke, trying to figure out where you're pants are, lol. I know that that is an extreme way of thinking of things, but its just like, why chance it.

When I tell others that I don't drink, they look at me like I've got 5 heads and am speaking in Klinger. Its something that they just can't process, and pretty much their first response is something along the lines of "well you've got to try it at least once..." or "ok, it's now my goal in life to get you to have at least 1 drink."

Its refreshing to hear your story, and to hear that there are others out there, however few of us there are, that think the same way.

Thank you for sharing!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jamie05rhs

Dude. ALL of this. 100

• Tentia

I felt that, and the original post...

• Anonymous

Pssst! We do exist! LOL. I know I am always stunned in life to find people like me who have chosen to just not drink. The culture is very much you turn 21 or just become a teen and you're supposed to go wild and start drinking, and I just wasn't THAT person. I purposefully went to a nice quiet restaurant with friends for my 21st and as soon as the waiter found out I was now 21, he was like, oh let me show you this drink menu, and are you sure you don't want a drink, oh we can put it on the house, and some of my friends were like, but you gotta drink now. I have had to fight for myself, really and truly, to be who I am when it comes to refusal of alcohol. It's frustrating to hear people say over and over again, well how can you have fun at xyz if you're not drinking like it's the only way through in life.

I really follow your sentiment that it feels good to know I've always been in control of my body and aware of my surroundings because all sorts of insane stuff can happen when you aren't and these are things you can't erase. And to your point as well, how is someone telling you just how horrible their hangover was, and how they can't' remember the night before supposed to inspire one to want to actually drink exactly? Do you, I guess, but I'd rather not have to go through all of that "for a good time."

Most Helpful Guys

• AdithyaR
    Excellent choice, I respect you.
    I also chose to never drink, but I never had any big reason like that. I just chose to not drunk because it has become so socially acceptable that you get weird looks for not drinking and I personally wanted to challenge that.
    And I know how it feels to have your friends stare at you for it. I still have friends who keep joking they're gonna get me to drink. That's basically disrespecting my consent.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Obviously, I can relate. If you keep saying no, at some point maybe they'll get the strong hint that you're not interested and stop trying to disrespect your consent.

• AdithyaR

Hopefully yeah.

• Lone_wolf122
    I've never had alcohol.. Smoked.. Taken drugs... I was invited a lot but didn't do it... I do stuff because I like them and not because it's what people do.. And all of those don't seem appealing to me
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Uannoyme
    I can't say that I've never had alcohol or that I've never been drunk, but I haven't done either in a very long time. Honestly, I don't see the appeal. Most alcoholic beverages don't taste good, and I don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk. A lot of people seem to believe that everything they do should involve alcohol, including events for kids. That's sad if you ask me.

Anyway, good for you!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

OMG, it's funny you mention that.....pre-covid, I was invited to a friends baby shower and I arrived thinking it would be this chill thing with a couple ladies handing out gifts and mom to be advice, but I drove up to what might as well have been a college rave. Everyone was drinking except for the mom to be and the music was booming throughout the neighborhood and there were people everywhere. From the moment I walked in until I left, I was offered a drink by 9 different people. I mean, it was truly like no other baby shower I'd ever been too.

• dwcl99

Holy crap, I hate going to pretty much all social gatherings, because they just all end up becoming a drunken college frat party. It's like people are unable to have any sort of gathering without copious amounts of alcohol involved. I don't get it.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2157
  • Gripper1970
    I am over 40 and have never had a drink. Be proud of not wanting to drink.
  • David_Bayer
    I felt great sadness for you when I read the title.
    Good for you I quess. 😔
  • KittyMilk
    Drinking some wine wouldn't hurt it can be healthy & beneficial
    • Wrong. The only ones that promote this garbage are the corporations who make wine, and FAKE doctors who have stocks in those companies. Also, what if you are on medications?

• ThisDudeHere
    Cool story but you're missing out
  • Hmmmbetternothere
    Agreed.
  • codyccc
    Did you ever have cough syrup growing up
    • That doesn't count. The alcohol content is a LOT lower in ihat.

• codyccc

Legally child cough syrup can have a alcohol content of up to 5% same as beer

• pizzalovershouse
    Yah its your body an you have the say
  • clayttonixc
    It's not worth that first sip tbh
  • Jmmmfi4
    Tastes disgusting
  • lonlynchi5
    Thanks for sharing
  • Roydavid
    I can never afford to buy nor drink it
  • Anonymous
    I am almost four years sober. My body is finally healing to what it should be vs the damage I had. Don’t do it. It’s not worth it. Only assholes care that you don’t drink. Note them and move on.
  • Anonymous
    I don't know why you posted this. idr care if you drink or not. I drink u don't. ok thats great
  • Anonymous
    I personally don’t drink alcohol. I’m 24 now, and the amount of peer pressure I dealt with was crazy along with people being surprised I don’t do it. I made the decision because I like to be in control of my mind and body, plus I deal with food addiction. Food gives me temporary happiness, so I can’t imagine what alcohol would do to me. I know I am not mentally healthy enough to drink.
  • Anonymous
    Well everything in this world can be dangerous, it only depends on the way you use it. Even if you lived in the air without weapons, it is still dangerous. Just be careful.

Drinking to much is bad, but not if you are with your trusted family that can take care of you if you get drunk at home or trow up.
    Never drink at a club or alone or with a stranger. Don't make decitions while drunk (like driving a car, wich is illegal)

Even in the bible it says that is not forbidden to drink, but it is forbidden to get drunk. Don't make bad deeds, don't kill, don't steal, don't disrespect you parents or your neighboor, don't cheat... as long as you don't do bad thing when you drink, then it is alright.
  • Anonymous
    You made the right decision for you, and that's all that matters. I used to drink (socially) but I very rarely do now. A couple reasons for this, but one of them was I didn't like the loss of control over what happens to me. On my 24th birthday, I went out with a group of all my closest friends (pretty much all girls). One of my girl friends brought her boyfriend, who brought his friends. Long story short, I got really drunk, we all got a ride back to my condo, and one of the guys that came with my friend's boyfriend was getting way too handsy with me on the couch. I had always assumed my friends would look out for me, but they were all too drunk. This guy was feeling me up on the couch. I remember trying to push him away but he wasn't getting the message. I ended up drunk dialing one of my guy friends who thankfully rushed over at 3am and saved me from the creep, but it could've been much worse.

After that, I never liked the way alcohol could cloud my judgment and lower my ability to defend myself. Don't let anyone make you feel weird for having a strong belief and sticking to it.

Now, I'm dating a guy who also doesn't drink. His friends and family all drink, but they never pressure him to. He volunteers to be the designated driver, and I'm perfectly happy socializing without alcohol.
    • Anonymous

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. It's unfortunate that in society some guys take advantage of women especially while drunk and then afterwords, people say, well, if you weren't drunk then it wouldn't have happened, but yet, why is the victim who did nothing to blame and the guy taking advantage is not. Rant for another day, I suppose. Thank goodness for good friends. I'm glad things turned out okay and your friend is a REAL friend.

• Anonymous
    Well cough medicine has some in it 😊 but I hardly drink myself, did it a bit when I was younger but I no desire to, it’s just not something I do and I have a commercial driver’s license so I have to be really careful
  • Anonymous
    I have an alcoholic and smoking mother, well I will never smoke that's for sure, but getting a bit drunk with my lads is the only key to relief sometimes...