The Risks and Positives of Internet Relationships

CisScum

What I mean by internet relationship is meeting someone you can't meet in real life right away, this could mean months or over a year. Nothing like Tinder or meeting local singles through dating services online. For example, meeting someone on GaG and starting to date them but they may be in a different state, province or country.

Personally, I have had a decent amount of experience with internet relationships and even though they didn't work out, I can still appreciate a good internet relationship and I don't hate them.

Keep in mind this is my personal opinion so it may not apply to you at all or differ from your experiences

Risk: internet relationships are more emotional for many reasons

Online relationships tend to be more emotional because of how much more commitment and how many requirements one needs for it to work out and to maintain it. Obviously, internet relationships are harder than offline relationships, so that leads to more emotion. If you're a person that can't handle emotion very well, then internet relationships can be harder and more difficult to maintain.

Positive: problems when the relationship becomes offline seem minimal or easier to deal with

Considering you will deal with a fair share of problems, varying from little problems to big problems when you're in an internet relationship, problems when you move on to a relationship in real life may seem minimal or they're easier to take care of. Not to say problems in real life won't be there, because their will always be problems, they just will not be that much of a big deal because when you're in an internet relationship and you move on to an offline relationship, you're out of the thick part of the woods.

Risk or positive: internet relationships move a lot faster than offline ones

Depending on the type of person you are, this can be a risk or positive. The reason they move faster is because people aren't so afraid of sharing personal things about them online, there's a lot less risk. Also, it's easier to get to know someone because people often show their true colors online way easier. This makes internet relationships move faster than the average relationship. This is a positive for me personally because people in real life tend to hide things about them and sometimes you can find out things about them when it's too late.

Risk: lack of physical contact

Often you won't be able to meet for a long while which could be months to more than a year. This can be a problem for some people and they don't realize that yet. The lack of physical contact can mean some people may not want to be in the relationship anymore and obviously that causes problems.

Positive: meeting up for the first time will be really special

After waiting for so long to finally meet, that moment is like no other you will ever experience. The first time you kiss, the first time you have sex and the first time you can touch each other and go on a real date will pretty much be like ecstasy, it will feel amazing. This is the main reason why internet relationships are great and really romantic.

Risk: Catfish or other misleads

There can be a risk of a possible catfish but I think it's really rare a catfish will continue a lie for months or even keep up a lie for months, but obviously sometimes it happens. This leads to meeting someone in real life that may be completely different than what was shown. Or you can be mislead by a person's personality, it could be completely different online compared to when you first meet. This obviously may be rare cases or just cases that don't happen often, but obviously they can.

Risk: meeting someone can cost a lot of money and a lot of time

For a lot of people this is tough, especially if they live outside of your country. It can cost a lot of money and a lot of time, which may mean you need time off work. This can also prolong the date when you meet each other, which may be a struggle. Not to say the time and money spent to meet your significant other is a waste of money or time, it just can be a struggle for reasons specific to that person.

Positive: internet relationships are unique

Personally I think internet relationships can be better than just the average way of dating, as they're really romantic and unique. They can build a good relationship if both people are willing to make it work. They're also really romantic and I think internet relationships are breathtaking at times, especially if it's working out well. I can always appreciate when an internet relationship is working out well.

Risk: personal problems can get in the way

A lot of times personal problems can get in the way of an internet relationship. It can stifle communication, it can make the relationship more of a struggle in general or worst case it can make the relationship just not work out. It can do a lot to a relationship and often times the person on the other end feels helpless that they can't help out at all or give any real physical comfort, which really sucks by the way. Not to say if a person has personal problems it will lead to disaster, I mean that obviously depends the people in the relationship, but it definitely can make a relationship harder.

Positive/risk: it can be hard to maintain the romance and wow factor, but it also helps create new ways to be romantic and to maintain a relationship feel to it.

In an internet relationship you have only so many ways to keep the romance alive and to create new ways to keep it alive. You can't really go on physical dates or give her flowers like someone can in real life. But it can also leave you able to surprise your significant other with new ways to create romance, like surprising her with mail of something very important like a shirt you worn or a shirt with cologne on it (something like that, I don't know haha). So it can be a positive or a negative, but I like to look at it as a positive.

Conclusion

I personally really enjoy internet relationships, they can be really motivational. Obviously though, something that's really great comes with great struggle and internet relationships are really hard to go without struggle. The risks are there and they're very scary to look at, but the risks also really help it become something great. If you're ever in a situation where you can get in an internet relationship and think you can handle one then I encourage you to go do it, it can be something really great and romantic.

Also please if you're in an internet relationship, want to share how it is right now if you don't mind? Or have you ever been in one?

Thanks for reading :)

23
16
23Girl Opinion
16Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• WhiteSteve
    Definitely don't knock it if it works for others, and maybe this is just old-man-from-the-20th-century talk, but I just can't ever imagine doing it, haha. But at the same time, I definitely messed with a couple girls back in the 90s when I was in high school just over the phone at first, and someone was like "here, call this chick" and we'd just talk for a few weeks, so it's ultimately not much different.

My thing is that I have an extreme distrust of all things internet. Like until proven otherwise, I have difficult time believing that that anyone is who they say there, at least in persona, if not just a totally different person altogether. And I guess eventually there are things like Skype that you can get a visual, but until that moment, I can't view anyone as anything more than an Internet hustler. All that said, I've made some really cool friends from here, but if we're talking dating and committment, etc, I personally just would need a little more than a face on a computer, full time. There's definitely a cool aspect to it though, in that you can meet all types of people from all over the place, and you're not just restricted to whoever you interact with in your everyday life👍 I just wouldn't have the trust or patience for them to get their foot in the door, that's all.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • CisScum

I completely understand and agree, it's different and definitely not for everybody, and you definitely need a certain amount of trust for it to work out, less trust you would need in an average relationship. Thanks for the opinion :).

• WhiteSteve

You got it, bruh. Good read👍

Most Helpful Girl

• TuMeManques
    This is such a great take. If I would've read it a few years ago I would've said "pfffft whatever, online relationships are not "real"" but that was before I met my best friend @SuitAndTie.
    We met over2 years ago and it's taken a lot of devotion and sacrifice to build up our friendship but it's more real than most relationships I've ever had.
    I think it's a great way to really get to know someone if you're both honest with each other.

Good luck to all you people trying to date, it's tough but worth it.

@SuitAndTie as always thanks for everything, I love you and sorry about dragging you out here. 😜😘💚
    Like 4 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • CisScum

Ya I know how you feel totally, and a lot of people definitely think online relationships aren't "real". But congratz on your relationship and thank you!

• SuitAndTie

Haha right back at ya mother fleckerrrrr

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2215
  • ElissaDido
    OmG. This is soooo true , all of it.
    I was in an "internet relationship " with a guy from here and this is so relatable.
    Like 2 People
    • CisScum

Haha thank you, ya they're really tough but at the same time really worth it in the end.

• ElissaDido

For me it wasn't lol he left me 3 times and I cried way too much...

• CisScum

haha ya same here... I've had an internet relationship that lasted like 8 or 9 months and well.. I'm single so.

• DaniaMQ
    This is soooo true.
    I've been in 2 failed ones. Now I'm not in exactly a relationship but we both are getting to know each other and he's planning on visiting when college ends this year. 🙉❤

the past ones were nice at the beginning. But then the guys just left me. I was predicting a break up in the first relationship but the second relationship I never thought it would come. Which left me really hurt. But I'm so over it now and I'm happy 😌
    Like 2 People
    • CisScum

Congrats on what you have now! Thank you for sharing :)

• DaniaMQ

Thank you! :) and thank YOU for writing this, coz of the bad endings in the past I started to dislike long distance relationships, but this made me stay positive

• CisScum

No problem! Good luck :)

• Cccgala
    Off-topic comment: TAIGA IS HART HART ❤❤

Related to the topic: This is somewhat educational to me because I don't bear extensive knowledge about virtual relationships. I agree that Internet-based relationships have its pros and cons respectively and the matter of dealing with it accordingly lies within the deeds of both parties. 😃
    Like 2 People
    • CisScum

Yup, the cons are pretty scary but I think it's worth it in the end if it's maintained.

• Chico_brah
    I don't think I'd ever commit to a girl online. I was just talking about this with someone on here yesterday... If I had the money, I'd totally fly out a couple girls on here for a week/weekend just to fuck. I could think of a couple that would be down.
    Like 2 People
    • CisScum

I'd do that too haha, the money is definitely the problem cause of a university life.

• noheadphones
    I have never tried online relationship. I have trust issues, I don't easily trust people so I don't think it's my thing. But to those who managed to make it work, congrats! media.giphy.com/media/DKnMqdm9i980E/giphy.gif
    Like 1 Person
    • CisScum

Ya I know what ya mean haha.

• Puppylove94
    Hmm I'm not sure I agree but to each their own. I don't really think it makes sense to be in a relationship with someone you only talk to online.

I got "involved" with someone who ended up being a catfish. Just not safe
    Like 2 People
    • CisScum

Eh, I guess these days you gotta be 100% sure who you're dating, in real life and especially online. That's too bad you got catfished though, that sucks.

• Phoenix98
    Meh I prefer face to face but I see online or long distance as just another opportunity to meet good people I wouldn't otherwise have access to.

I don't view long distance stuff or online stuff as fake as it's just as real as the keyboard I'm typing on now. I've had many wonderful friends come from online stuff, many of whom I'm more close with then my face to face friends.

Same for relationships I've had 1 with someone I didn't know in person first and it was a great relationship, stayed friend with the girl afterwards and everything easily one of the best I've been with. The main issue is that people aren't mentally prepared for it and they are really hard, just like any relationship.

Just be prepared for it and take it slow, communication, faith and trust are vital to the survival of one. As well as taking trips to see each other but long distance and online stuff has it's own advantages such as excuses to travel, experience new cultures, societies and lean and advanced your own language skills and cultural knowledge and maybe see some sights you've always wanted to see but never had a good enough reason beforehand.

And since your not face to face sexual stuff is less relevant and so it often means you'll be talking or video chatting whatever and it makes you focus more on the individual and less on Oo when do I get sex or whatever.

Just my experiences with

1 face to face relationship that transition into long distance
    1 long distance from the start ( I knew her in person beforehand )
    1 online/long distance relationship from the start

Just depends on the person, the mindset among other factors just don't go it with the mindset our love will conquer everything and it'll be easy mindset. Have a somewhat cynical, realistic but optimistic mindset about it.
    Like 1 Person
  • cross98
    lol... you should've said yes to me. lol i kid i kid. hahahhaah i just never understood the part about lack of physical contact though... never seemed such a big deal to me.
    Like 1 Person
    • CisScum

Pretty much same, had a few online relationships and I was fine with just online sexual reliefs.

• cross98

yeah, i guess i just used my imagination for stuff like that...

• LincolnClay
    Great Mytake. I wish i could give it a Try but i know i'd be terrible at it. Part of the reason I'm still single now. Im not ready or willing to make the effort.
    Like 1 Person
    • CisScum

Maybe one day you'll meet someone online worth it, who knows. Thank you though!

• Schrodingerscat
    It's a well written piece.. good work.
    in my opinion, I'd rather prefer real life thing any day. I can consider LDR if I can meet the person fairly often.
    Like 1 Person
    • CisScum

Ya I know whatcha mean, but ya decently constant meet ups is kinda required. But thank you :)

• SuperNovaRoyalty
    Wait, I'm confused, The "talking to my girlfriend" pic,
    WHICH ONE IS THE BOY? Cause the one is blue seems to have boobs, and the other one has long blonde hair. No hate guys, I'm just wondering here.
    Like 1 Person
  • Yanoa_Yanza
    This is a really interesting takes. To me it's not just love relationships, but also friendship. You can make such awesome friends online too, and even if you're unable to see eachother, they can still be really good friends
    Like 2 People
  • John_Doesnt
    Like 2 People
  • RainbowFanGirl
    I love this myTake a lot. Long distance relationships can work if you're willing to put in the effort to make them work.
    Like 2 People
  • Saoirse_Nua
    Enjoyable take - Lots of truth in it but one little correlation jumped out at me - "Moving too fast" and "Possibility of Catfish", you see where I am going - Another one that strikes me is you have an "Online" relationship and then you meet and physical connection isn't there, it just turns out you are better friends than potential lovers - Okay enough of the "Negative Nelly", there is probably a very good chance it will work out.
    Like 1 Person
  • Luci92
    Very well written.
    Honestly, I just can't do it. Real life is the way to go, for me.
    Like 1 Person
    • CisScum

I agree, after a few I've experienced it will probably not happen again for many reasons. But I guess if I meet someone really great that could change LOL.

• Luci92

Fair enough, and I get you. There was a guy who although I didn't know him *super* well, I had a lot of what appeared to be chemistry and attraction to online, but then someone in real life came along.

• Triss
    I totally agree and I know exactly these feels
    If there is a plan on meeting soon it's definitely worth the wait and effort to make it work
    Like 1 Person
  • ThisDudeHere
    Never gonna do that again. Unless it's guaranteed that I can meet her at least once in a while, I'm not getting in an actual online relationship. Just not worth it.
    Like 1 Person
  • datgirl
    Oh, I would never do an online relationship no matter how good it seemed to be going. Not my thing.
    Like 1 Person
  • springocelot
    I can never be in an internet relationship. Because you don't know who a person really is until you're in physical contact with them. You must know whether the online chemistry translates in the physical world. Because many times it necessarily doesn't.

So why waste my time of building up such expectation. The point of meeting someone online is eventually meeting them in the physical world. That should go ahead sooner than later. Especially as feelings are so transient. The longer you wait, the more I wonder if the intent will still be there. Can you really expect someone to hold an intent for that long?

If you're heart was really into them, you would make plans of meeting them no matter the distance or circumstance. But most people aren't so willing.

For these reasons, I could never give my heart away to someone online. My emotional well-being is worth so much more than that.
    Like 2 People
  • Show More (17)