Why I Went From Hating Muslims To Respecting Them

Anonymous

Growing up in a Catholic family I have always been convinced that muslims are bad people. Being told how muslims treat women badly, detest other religions, and are just generally bad people.

And when you're a kid you just listen to what your family tells you. You believe them, because why would your family tell you something that isn't true?

But after furthering myself from what my family has raised me believing in and rebranding myself as simply a Christian and not a Catholic, I have realized that the opinions of my family members are not the opinions of my own.

So here are reasons why I, as a white female Christian, respect the muslim faith and people.

1) They Believe In Consistently Giving To Charity

Muslim people believe in giving donations to people in need selflessly whenever they can.

As one of the five central pillars of Islam, each muslim adult is obligated to give away 2.5% of their yearly earnings every year to charities for people in need.

2) Women Are Considered Precious

Regardless of what I've been told throughout my childhood, muslims believe that women are precious and sacred. The average muslim man believes that his wife/girlfriend is the most precious thing in the world and should be kept safe.

Women also have equal rights in everything. Any mistreatment of women by muslims is not a part of true muslim faith, it's a man created way of thinking.

3) Islam Acknowledges The Existence Of Christ

Islam believes in Jesus Christ as a prophet, and technically, believes in the same God that Christians do, just with the added prophet, Muhammad.

4) The Beliefs Of Islam Are Practically Identical To The Beliefs Of Christianity

The Ten Commandments:

1. Thou shall not take any God except one God.

2. Thou shall make no image of God.

3. Thou shall not use God’s name in vain.

4. Thou shall honor thy mother and father.

5. Thou shall not steal.

6. Thou shall not lie or give false testimony.

7. Thou shall not kill.

8. Thou shall not commit adultery.

9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife or possessions.

10. Thou shall keep the Sabbath holy.

Commandments Of The Quran:

1. There is no God except one God

2. There is nothing whatsoever like unto Him

3. Make not God’s name an excuse to your oaths

4. Be kind to your parents if one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honor.

5. As for the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands, but those who repent After a crime and reform shall be forgiven by God for God is forgiving and kind.

6. They invoke a curse of God if they lie.

7. If anyone has killed one person it is as if he had killed the whole mankind

8. Do not come near adultery. It is an indecent deed and a way for other evils.

9. Do good to your parents, relatives and neighbors.

10. When the call for the Friday Prayer is made, hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off your business.

5) There Are Extremists Of Every Religion, So Why Are We Picking On Muslims?

Muslims have been incessantly targeted in the media as bad people, but there are extremists and "bad guys" in every religion. It does not define the religion or the people as a whole. There are lots of sh*tty people and we can't blame their religion or race for being sh*tty people.

So although I consider myself to strongly be a Christian, I love and respect the muslim people, because I decided to think for myself rather than through the opinions of others.

14
7

Most Helpful Guy

• WalterRadio
    You are seriously confused.

In particular, you CANNOT generalize, which is what you are doing. (it is also why Obama has screwed up the Middle East, he projected his experience of living in Indonesia as a child with the friendly tolerant variety onto the violent extremists of the Middle East).

Including to Hamas, ISIS, and Abu Sayaaf to fund their terrorism.

2) Women Are Considered Precious
    Which is why they are kept as prisoners in some countries, and kidnapped an raped as children in others. That is also why some Moslems mutilate the genitals of girls by cutting off their clitoris as young children.

Except those parts about killing non-believers wherever they are found, eating pork, and drinking wine. It is true that some Moslem countries still crucify people.

100% of foreign terrorists attacks in the US over the past few decades have been conducted by Moslems. Personally, Moslems have tried to kill me, but they failed.

Take a trip to Saudi Arabia or Iran. I dare you.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    This is fantastic. You're still so young and it's so easy to still believe in whatever you're taught at this age, but you didn't. I really admire you. My parents, one Catholic one Muslim... the Catholic family practically abandoned their own relations because of their blind hatred for Islam. When I was a kid, I was taught Christianity and Islam, and I was always so confused as to why so many on both sides hated each other when they're so similar... Judaism too. I only saw when I was older that it's the people, not the writings that are confusing.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

613
  • The_flying_Frenchman
    you are wrong on all accounts. Sorry, but the fact of the matter is that Islam has never been, is not, and likely never will be a religion of peace. Women in the Middle East DO NOT have their rights. Suggesting so is utter ignorance on your part which is understandable if you've never bothered to learn the truth about the Hadith and shariah law.

As for atheism and moral relativity, it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black wouldn't you say?

how moral is it to only do good because you believe in a camera aka god that watches your every move and knows your every thought every second of every day? How free are you when your only options are the carrot of heaven and the stick of hell?

I as an nonbeliever have a morality that isn't always cut and dry it's true, but why is that? Oh right, because I can actually think instead of believe everything I'm told like the indoctrinated little drone you obviously are. My decisions are rationalized based on the specific situations I encounter, not laid out before me like a child whose mother picks out their clothes every day. That's what you are isn't it? Children of God? One day hopefully you'll realize that it's time to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and take stock in THIS world, not in your imaginary afterlife.
    • NatashaJ

You do realize middle east most of the horrible Muslims you hear twisted the religion and are not real followers right?

• @NatashaJ are you high? The overwhelming majority of Muslims in the world live in the Middle East, but ok let's cut out that portion and look at the rest of them. The Muslim ghettos in the UK? In Germany? In Paris? Trying to lobby for shariah law in the democratic systems of these countries?

Let's even Set aside the true Scotsman fallacy and you're still in the same sinking ship because Islam is not just a religion, it's a militant culture that's infecting the free people of the world. It's ideas need to be challenged, called out, and exposed to the ignorant And uncaring for what they really are. Delusions that drive people to hatred of western culture and secularism in particular. Please educate yourself.

• NatashaJ

you are just a idiot if you get to know islam don't talk I bet you never read the Quran so who are you to talk?

• Hjominbonrun
    Sura 4:34 -- Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them.
    Sooooooo precious enough to scold and strike.
    • Anonymous

Taking pieces of the Quran to show as evidence of the way of thinking a muslim person has just shows how ignorant you are.

• I can only provide evidence that some things are taught contrary to your post. You needn't accept it.

• Anonymous

All religions have negative things said towards women because the texts were written by people in a specific time, before there was equality for women. Muslim men have always been more respectful to me than any other religion.

• QuestionMan
    Although this is a good myTake and I've already known these things about Islam you are completely wrong about atheism.
    Being an atheist doesn't mean that I reject the 10 commandments and will sin for the sake of it.
    Atheists simply do not believe in God. We still have a moral compass, we obey laws not just because we don't want to get caught but because we know the difference between right and wrong.
    • @Omar5881 Look someone that actually knows something about Islam.

• Omar5881

I agree with you dude in that morals thing , morals are humanity thing it's not limited to relgions

But there are a couple of things that considered non moral in relgion and okie in atheism like sex before marriage
      And did you mention me for a reason lol?

• @Omar5881 I mentioned you because I thought you might like this myTake :)

• TheFlak38
    So surprise here. What else could we expect from a WOMAN? A creature with no personality or sense of in group loyalty, always victim of whats most popular and socially acceptable, best at destroying civilisations with the stupidity in her head. Go on and marry a muslim then since you love them so much. We already wait for your next question saying how much you hate your life.
    • Anonymous

That wouldn't be a question, it would be a statement. Have a nice day! ✋😊

• TheFlak38

No sister. It would be a question because dumb people always like to ask us "What do I do?" as if there is a way out of their stupidity.

• Anonymous

But the way you phrased it wasn't a question.

• Kuraj
    Almost managed to pass by with merely just rolling my eyes, until you attached that bit about atheists to prove you are really just another religious piece of shit.
    • Anonymous

Oh how I love hearing the seething anger come from you atheist, trend-hopping, ignorants. You do you buddy 😂

• Kuraj

Not angry, just annoyed G@G allows for anonymous posting.
      Now I don't know who you are, and can't avoid accidentally stumbling upon your "wisdom" in the future.

• Anonymous

Annoyed is a synonym for angry, sir.

• NatashaJ
    Well as a atheist to be honest I tolerate Muslims and Islam instead way more then Christianity, Catholicism etc. Due to the fact that the Muslims I met are nice people and then I meet the Christians and Catholics that made me realize why I am glad I am a atheist lol. Funny how some people from Christianity and Catholicism talk crap about other religions but they won't even discuss the people in their religion that are backwards. What do you except haters going to hate.
  • Dimmu
    I like Religious Christians cause they share most of our beliefs

And Muslims are just normal
    Not all of them respect /don't respect women
    Muslims women are following marry by wearing hijab

Thanks for taking time and decided to know yourself about it

You'll get some hate for having your own opinion

• dave1558
    Muslims as people are not the problem.. its the barbaric religion that is the problem..
    The peace loving Muslims are actually bad Muslims, good people but bad Muslims. The terrorists are actually the ones who are closely following the Islamic faith, they are the ones who are following what Muhammad has commanded them to do with killing non believers
  • HeWhoPonders
    "woman are considered precious."

Is that what the local recruiter told you? Fuck outa here.
    • "We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents; in pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth" (46:15)

The Prophet Muhammad said, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him: Your Heaven lies under the feet of your mother (Ahmad, Nasai).

A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim).

It is narrated by Asma bint Abu Bakr that during the treaty of Hudaibiyah, her mother, who was then pagan, came to see her from Makkah. Asma informed the Messenger of Allah of her arrival and also that she needed help. He said: Be good to your mother (Bukhari, Muslim).

Islam actually high importance on motherhood and that mothers are the greatest people on

• @White_Knight_Cuck Yes but that's all women are to you people, mothers.

• A mother is the most important job for a women, and being a father the most important job for a man.

• vishna
    Hmm, I remember being afraid of Muslim men in particular... I was just starting to really look at 'others', and the 9/11 attacks had recently happened. The Muslim man was always the bad guy-mean, a wife beater, he was never the good one. It's really good you saw past all the blind hate. Blind love and blind hate are bad, people are people-they interpret and act out the faith in different ways. Within each mosque there are different people with different opinions and ways of life, some you may agree with, some you may not. Seeing that is important though, the individuality.
  • Omar5881
    I excepted a hating take lmao actually that's first time I hear a non muslim think good of Islam thanks love
  • anonman32
    religion is just shit altogether, i am just interested how they are able to indoctrinate so many people and make them kill each other.
  • reixun
    this is nice :) congratulations on not being brainwashed
  • nanina
    And they put people to death for leaving Islam. I cannot respect such a religion.
    • Cowboy6666

Not true.

• nanina

@Cowboy6666 Have you read news from Iran or Saudi Arabia? The punishment for apostasy is death

• Cowboy6666

Not all Islamic countries have same law

• GabrielGabriel
    My question is exactly opposite after 3 years in Istanbul : Why I've started to hate Muslims?
  • ichot
    /facepalm. from one delusion to another.

• Anonymous
    Some muslim doing muslim propaganda under the disguise of some pink anon.
  • Anonymous
    I agree. It's important to look at everything objectively. After learning about the religion and doing research, your points whole true. To the guy saying 100% of foreign terrorists in the US were Muslims... Where's your proof? m.washingtontimes.com/.../ this link shows the domestic danger as well, but it says that the majority of fatal attacks were not done by Muslims
  • Anonymous
    Well i'm glad you got over your hate. It's usually christians, not atheists who hate muslims. Atheists usually dislike every religion. I don't hate christians because it's pretty stupid to assume that all hate muslims just because the majority of Protestant Christians hate muslims even though the majority of muslims are not terrorists. I used to go to Catholic school and barely anyone there hated muslims. My theology teacher knew that muslims have the same religious stories too. Christians and muslims have similar beliefs and teachings but remember we don't worship the same god.