Growing up in a Catholic family I have always been convinced that muslims are bad people. Being told how muslims treat women badly, detest other religions, and are just generally bad people.
And when you're a kid you just listen to what your family tells you. You believe them, because why would your family tell you something that isn't true?
But after furthering myself from what my family has raised me believing in and rebranding myself as simply a Christian and not a Catholic, I have realized that the opinions of my family members are not the opinions of my own.
So here are reasons why I, as a white female Christian, respect the muslim faith and people.
1) They Believe In Consistently Giving To Charity
Muslim people believe in giving donations to people in need selflessly whenever they can.
As one of the five central pillars of Islam, each muslim adult is obligated to give away 2.5% of their yearly earnings every year to charities for people in need.
2) Women Are Considered Precious
Regardless of what I've been told throughout my childhood, muslims believe that women are precious and sacred. The average muslim man believes that his wife/girlfriend is the most precious thing in the world and should be kept safe.
Women also have equal rights in everything. Any mistreatment of women by muslims is not a part of true muslim faith, it's a man created way of thinking.
3) Islam Acknowledges The Existence Of Christ
Islam believes in Jesus Christ as a prophet, and technically, believes in the same God that Christians do, just with the added prophet, Muhammad.
4) The Beliefs Of Islam Are Practically Identical To The Beliefs Of Christianity
The Ten Commandments:
1. Thou shall not take any God except one God.
2. Thou shall make no image of God.
3. Thou shall not use God’s name in vain.
4. Thou shall honor thy mother and father.
5. Thou shall not steal.
6. Thou shall not lie or give false testimony.
7. Thou shall not kill.
8. Thou shall not commit adultery.
9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife or possessions.
10. Thou shall keep the Sabbath holy.
Commandments Of The Quran:
1. There is no God except one God
2. There is nothing whatsoever like unto Him
3. Make not God’s name an excuse to your oaths
4. Be kind to your parents if one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honor.
5. As for the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands, but those who repent After a crime and reform shall be forgiven by God for God is forgiving and kind.
6. They invoke a curse of God if they lie.
7. If anyone has killed one person it is as if he had killed the whole mankind
8. Do not come near adultery. It is an indecent deed and a way for other evils.
9. Do good to your parents, relatives and neighbors.
10. When the call for the Friday Prayer is made, hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off your business.
5) There Are Extremists Of Every Religion, So Why Are We Picking On Muslims?
Muslims have been incessantly targeted in the media as bad people, but there are extremists and "bad guys" in every religion. It does not define the religion or the people as a whole. There are lots of sh*tty people and we can't blame their religion or race for being sh*tty people.
So although I consider myself to strongly be a Christian, I love and respect the muslim people, because I decided to think for myself rather than through the opinions of others.