12 of the Most Annoying Double Standards in Society

Despite the pushes for equality in the past 100 years, society still has a long way to go. I came across some photos recently that were quite telling about what many women and men in our society go through. For those who claim "men have it worse!" or "women have it worse!" put yourself in someone else's shoes for once because the truth is, MANY of these double standards are true and affect us all.

Until we can all come together and acknowledge these issues, we can't progress as a society. Some may call it wishful thinking to aim for decreasing double standards but it doesn't hurt to try, right? Raising awareness to issues in society is how all social changes are made. Both men and women are guilty of perpetrating these double standards against each other and even against members of their own sex! So, here are 12 of the most annoying, pathetic, and downright stupid double standards in society.

1. Images of boobs and cleavage everywhere but you better not get caught breastfeeding!

2. Why are female breasts still taboo but man boobs can be out in the open?

3. Male sexualization is cool, but not female sexualization!

4. Let's face it, sometimes how attractive someone is changes our perception...which goes for men AND women!

5. Revealing, or covered, housewife, or career woman...we just can't win.

6. If it's a guy, he sucks as an individual. If it's a girl, it's because "all women suck."

7. The great "makeup vs. no makeup" debate.

8. The differences in how society views emotions between men and women is incredible. *Negative labels are in red btw*

9. How you look on the outside dictates whether you are "allowed" to enjoy food.

10. Casual sex: when men do it, he's a stud. When women do it, she's a 'slut.'

11. Yes, there are even double standards when it comes to breast size!

12. Because men MUST be tough and can't possibly show weakness, be virgins, or have body image issues...apparently.

So there you have it. Double standards oddly enough...don't discriminate. Whether you are a man, woman, fit, overweight, tall, short, rich, or poor, there is a double standard that will inevitably affect you. Which double standards annoy YOU the most? Let me know in the comments!

71
36

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Girl

• Wonderer89

Wasn't this exact post on Bored Panda a week ago? I didn't think we could plagiarise
    www.boredpanda.com/.../

• scarlett

I did see that which inspired the myTake but it wasn't intended to be an "exact replica." The images are not original to BoredPanda either. These pictures are in TONS of articles on the internet, and nothing here was actually copy/pasted. Clearly the text and headers are all my own. You're right though, I should have mentioned where I got the inspiration.

• You should mention it in an update

Most Helpful Guy

3570
  • COCOCHANEL

nice

• Passinggas

This take suggests that women still have it terrible. This is about the most trivial whining I have ever seen. What ever happened to real women that could handle real life? How does all this female privilege of the west further your spoiled nature to feed it more? For example if women want to go around topless then tomorrow, all of them can at once and no one will stop them. Women set most of these standards you list. If all women become mathematicians, tomorrow that argument will also disappear. You really need to ask yourself how far is enough? Do you actually seek an asexual society where everyone dresses the same, math is tailored for all to understand, male and female hormones are adjusted and equalized in all? Do you seek genetic engineering that could possibly someday be used to make all humans asexual and possibly the genitalia are left over, as is an appendix? Your problem is you have too much time on your hands and not enough real problems in your life to create such a compilation of tripe,

• John_Doesnt

We get images of perfect cleavage and perfect boobs everywhere. If every woman's boobs looked like a model or porn star I'd have no problem with public breast feeding. Only problem is that most breasts are saggy, uneven and sometimes hairy. So cover it up before I lose my lunch.

• scarlett

Riiiiight, so how a woman looks to YOU should dictate whether or not she is "worthy" to breastfeed her child. 😂 Guess what? In most cases, the child's head covers the boob anyway! Grow up.

• It's so unfortunate that we can't cover up heads of idiots like you! -.-

• @Jemini_Crocket I've got 2 saggy and jealous girls right here!

• MackFreeze

2. A woman's breast is sexual and refers to fertility. There is no correlation to a male breast and fertility or sexuality. Breasts are sexual on a female not a male.

9. What you put on the inside is what ends up manifesting on the outside. You eat burgers everyday you become fat. You eat one once a month with a balanced diet and exercise you will be fit and deserve it. Being obese is not a double standard. Men or women who are obese need help not to be made fun of or coddled.

10. I think men or women who have causal sex are not praiseworthy. However, for a long period of time up until free love and the sexual revolution. It was hard for men to have sex. So getting a girl who was normally quite conservative about sex, was a accomplishment. Nowadays women give it away for what? 3 dinners some wine and a ride home? Raise your standards and so will men.

12. Personally I don't care if someone's a virgin as I am waiting for marriage. Men who show emotion are real men. I would say everyone has body imagine issues in this society. The next part is dealing with them.

• Agent

Well, for #2, that's somewhat debatable. Able to provide some confirmation that they are inherently more sexual than a male's chest? Sure, decently sized breasts provide some indication of whether they'd be able to nourish offspring, but using the same logic of that argument, a muscular, chiseled chest on a male would also indicate suitability as a partner due to being strong enough to protect the offspring, and as a result, also be attractive. If it can't be proved that the high sexualization of female breasts compared to the lack of sexualization (well, it's present, but not to the same degree, I think) of male breasts is entirely societal, then wouldn't it fit right in?

• Agent

If it can't be proved that the high sexualization of female breasts compared to the lack of sexualization of male breasts ISN'T entirely societal*

No edit button. :(

• MackFreeze

@Agent
      Is it societal?
      I would say porn, entertainment, and music has greatly sexualized women more than men. For what reason? I wish I knew. I do agree it is societal to a certain degree. It is sexual, however more sexualized than it should, yes. But men breasts aren't seen as desirable to women are they?

• AllThatSweetJazz

1.
    I can shove my hand down my pants in public. If anything I'm showing less, yet everyone walking past me would call me a creeper for touching myself like that in public and call the cops. It's almost like there's more than just what's on display that is important.

2.
    Guys are not women and people react differently to different things. It's weird that we would consider different things the same.

4.
    Yes, but guys aren't bitching about ugly women.
    The point is that when women react like that the guy is not just unattractive to her, but that he doesn't get simply treated as unattractive, her gets treated like a criminal or morally decent and people have to call human resources.

5. Well one issue here is that thinking you're ever beyond criticism is a mistake, in part it becomes a joke about the person writing the comic for being dumb and not understanding that. And the second thing worth noting is who those speech bubbles come from, the answer is largely other women and the joke here becomes that it's the women from the other panels bitching at each other.

Here, I fixed that for you.

6.
    Taken literally, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that sentence at all. If most guys don't suck and most women do then that's just a statement of fact and not a double standard.

7.
    Not really a double standard if your make up is so convincing and looks very different from you real face.

8.
    Being seen as angry isn't superior. Crazy can even be used as excusing anger.
    If you are actually being bitchy then it's appropriate. The statement given isn't even an assertive nor bitchy statement, this is what the true bitch thinks she said.
    Nyphmo, you're comparing two different things here, why would they be the same?
    No one thinks that's an abrasive statement. When someone turns around and is asserts that they aren't actually doing bad then again, the true bitch thinks she's being condemned simply because she's found disagreement.

9.
    Not a double standard, again it's two different things.
    It's called context.

10.
    It's called context.

11.
    Has that happen? ... sure, if you say so.

12.
    I wonder who this complaint is directed at. Who sets that expectation? Primarily women.

I don't often complain about double standards because I see most things as being very different and "double standard" not being a apt description. So mostly I just get annoyed by people who aren't reasonable -- that's how I would put it.

• Have to make grammatical corrections for #4.
      "The point is that when women react like that the guy is not just unattractive to her, he doesn't get simply treated as unattractive. He gets treated like a criminal or morally indecent such that people have to call human resources."

• Jemini_Crocket

Great take but (now I will be called a feminist lol) you can't ever please anyone. Even when you post about both men and women, there are still jer... ehm some men who have to disagree/find something else wrong about it.

The biggest problem is - men are that much self-conscious that they aren't able to handle a woman that can take care of herself, woman who has a great career and so on.

• scarlett

Yeah, that seems to be the case, unfortunately. The men who have complained so far completely overlooked the double standards I mentioned that go against men. They're just THAT damn bitter. It's sad.

• Yeah, they're like those extremists. People complain about feminism (I call them feminazis such die-hard women) but seem to ignore men who do not bother to distinguish us. Once a woman wants something that they don't like, she's automatically a bitch or a whore for them. : Just sad like you said.

• Yumix

what about the girls who disagree? And why do you feel the need to generalize/prejudge all men because of a few idiots? You should have stopped after your first sentence. Your post isn't much different to the ones you complain about. It consists of complaining, generalization and double standards.

• Phoenix98

1. Well in regards to breast feeding it really is something that should be done in private because it's an intimate thing between and mother and child.

2. Men don't have boobs for one we have pectorals a muscle, women breasts are actual sexual objects and also used for breast feeding. Also because the male and female body are different, we're not the same.

3. I'm fine with both being sexualized, hell I've been sexualized before and was completely fine with it.

4. That's mostly true but not always.

5. I'm fine with a career woman dressing sexy as long as it lines up with the dress code that both men and women have to follow. And I've never heard that a housewife couldn't dress femininely or more sexy if they wanted to nor do I have an issue with it whether they want to or not. In fact I long for the days when both men and women dressed properly.

6. Actually in today's world it's more men as a whole are the issue according to women and feminists and well society in general.

7. I believe in natural beauty but I'm fine with makeup to as long as it's used correctly. Meaning using it as it was originally created to be used, which in turn means using it to highlight already existing features and beaty, not using it like clown makeup.

8. I'm actually fine with this

9. As a personal trainer I actually encourage people to eat more food the difference being I encourage them to eat more healthy food and adopt a heathly intake of food.

10. I think it's wrong either way.

11. No comment.

12. Again I'm fine with that partly because it drums up business for me.

• I disagree for #1, if a woman was far from home and her baby started crying for food she'd have to feed it.

• Ozanne

Good Take, except I have to clarify something about the breasts! LOL
    Women's breasts are an erogenous zone, whereas a man's 'breast' is not. This means there is no double standard in this case since our breasts are not the same look, and invoke the same feeling when being viewed by each gender.

As far as popping out a boob to breastfeed - well, that's another myTake altogether. Well done on this Take. :)

• wankiam

some counter arguements just for the sake of showing its not so black and white
    1... here in uk breast feeding is being encouraged as its proven better for baby and we need to fall in line with the rest of Europe so thats happening

2.. tits out on the beach is fine here. off the beach men are encouraged to cover up to as no one wants to see a sweaty shirtlass bloke while in the supermarket

3... music vids show sexy women while women get the coke adds

4.. thats just basic human nature

5... not many people actually make those judgements.. thats the media that do that

6... one man cheats ergo all men are bastards. we all generalise to prove a point

7... a lot of women wear make up for themselves

8.. generally men and women naturally have different emotional reactions

9... thats nutritional ignorance shared by everone because the food industry sell us bollox

10... stud and slut are to me the same thing... this is totally down to misplaced judgement on the word slut. its still grossly unfair though

11... born from tit envy?

12.. in this modern age men are becoming just as worried about image to others as girls are

great take though and quite entertaining.

here's a double standard that gets me... in most places its illegal to have sex for money unless there is a camera filming it

• ObscuredBeyond

Concerning 10: In my works, both sexes are portrayed badly for it. It's portrayed as an attitude problem in general.

I see "abrasive" as passive-aggressive regardless who words it that way.

Concerning number 5: She'd have to be dressed a lot trashier than that before I'd say she's encouraging rape. Though, it has more to do with where she walks at night, and with whom, then what she's actually wearing. And on whether she's sober, or abusing substances.

Fake and plastic has more to do with her attitude than attire. Though, any man that demands a woman with a band T-shirt list all the members' birthdays to prove she isn't "fake" deserves a sucker punch with sap gloves to his stomach. (Check your local laws before attempting though. Sap gloves are 100% illegal in California.)

The guys making fun of the housewife deserve a good smackdown too. And the career woman is more likely to be judged that way regarding her attitude rather than what she wears, so it's not really that simple.

To by a nympho, she'd have to proposition me out of nowhere and sound desperate, and then immediately proposition the next man she sees the second I say no.

Makeup ages a woman faster. It creates its own need over time. I'd rather she looked a little worn out without the makeup, than be truly worn out and covered in disgusting chemicals.

I can totally agree that 3 and 4 are absurd, and everywhere. If she finds you attractive, you can do no wrong. If she doesn't, you can't ever do anything right. That's horsecrap, but it's very common in workplaces. I remember a few cases where I'd greet a gal innocently, and she'd sic the union steward on me! I was like: "What the hell?" Made worse when the steward would then insult me to my face with some completely unfounded allegation, and would use that "I'm not gonna argue with you" the second I poke holes in the theory.

And 3. Everyone whines how bad Barbie is. And then there's He-Man...

• I had kinda SJW-ish vibe, but…yeah, it's fine. But number 10: strongly dissagree. Lot's of sex with lot's of partners: in my eyes you are slut. No matter sex. Be faithful. Have commitements. How I could trust someone, who had shitload sexual partners? I just cannot.

• vald9inches

I can't LIKE THIS MY TAKE ENOUGH!!! PERFECT!!! ❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤😍😍😍😍😍❤❤❤❤

• BeeNee

Whomever wrote/drew all these comics are very adept at pointing out things both men and women like to talk over one another about and fight over, but seeing them in comic form is like, yeah, you know, that is kind of true. Both sexes do these things and each is convinced one is more right than the other, but it's like, no, it goes both ways. Now as far as solving these issues, well, not sure that looks like it will happen any time soon.

• SarahsSummer

I think admiring breasts but calling breastfeeding obscene is the worst. babies need food and if society keeps making It inappropriate to breast feed, more babies could miss out on the best food there is for them.

• MrOracle

As this Take demonstrates, no one really has it better. Sure, some specific areas are harder or easier than the opposite sex, but ultimately, we all have areas where we suffer from double-standards, and it's actually pretty balanced.

• True. Both sexes also have advantages and disadvantages biologically speaking too.

• Goandtellyourmama

When will feminists understand that female breasts are a secondary sexual organ

• Although it is involved in sex (and i agree with what you said) i think its more borderline fetish like how guys like butts, even though thats not a sex organ

• @RealDarkeyes It's still biological seen as a secondary sex characteristic therefor it's covered. Damn why complicate things? For 2000 years it was fine and then some bullshit feminists try change position of herbs in our kitchen? Get the fuck out of our world

• It is actually primaraly for breast feeding, thats the point of having breasts
      From a biological standpoint

• King_of_kek

Double standards are irrelevant, it all comes down to the individual. People aren't mindless drones who bow down to so called "media influence". These are all just petty, middle class, first world problems. Hell, even in the developed world, millions of people are unemployed , millions more are underemployed, we're in trillions of dollars of debt, the government steals half our income while letting their corporate and banker buddies get off free, our border and immigration policies are severely mismanaged, we fund the atrocities of barbaric tyrants in Saudi Arabia, we've gone out of our way to saber rattle against the world's only other major nuclear power for having the audacity to act defensively and in its own self interest, we've been in a perpetual state state of war for almost two decade, and our own government spies on us. We have much bigger problems than the fact that women get called sluts or unrealistic body standards. Get a grip on reality people, there's a lot worse things than big, bad double standards that aren't even backed up by the use of force.

• slutsdontgetoral

Totally forgetting racial double standards. Black people can't be racists because they are a minority. Black people can complain and protest the actions of whites. Whites can complain and protest the actions of blacks.

• Also, a woman can walk away from a fight without being labeled a coward. A man can't.

• HandsomeGuy500

Women have more double standards than men. But there reason there are double standards is because men and women are different. For example, the reason there's a difference in double standards when it comes to men and women getting their breasts out in public is because the female breasts are a sexual object, whereas men don't have breasts like women. I'm amazed that some people are too dumb to realize this.

• V01D_Entertainment

Stop with this! Men and women are not the same, are not supposed to be the same! And this fatness-glorifying part totally rendered this post a joke!

• Triggered women incoming! Unable to understand that it is entirely possible to be different yet equal. Equality does not being the same, men got to be men, women got to be women and everyone to be treated with basic dignity!

Peace!

• Men and women are quite different anatomically but mentally where too big heavily overlapping bell curves with the same kinds of software running on the same kinds of servers just with different experiences.
      The problems with the double standards however are because you making assumptions and treating pepole differently because of perceived differences and generalisations.
      Thats very different than changes based on actual set differences like installing urinals in the mens toilets but not in the womens.

• So yes different yet equal but thats not always the case

• natural_blue

I agree with most of these, but I've gotta say for #9.. if someone's overweight, they should be trying to fix themselves. Being overweight is unhealthy. If you're average and you're just having a cheat day then great, everyone deserves to have fun sometimes, but if you're eating three burgers for every meal that's a problem.
    I do *not* think they should be shamed for it, however. Violence solves nothing.

• TooskilledforU

Many of the double standards that we have are ridiculous, and sadly, not as many people as there should be are actually willing or able to do anything to eradicate them. I am doing my part by not holding double standards, If I hold an opinion about something for women, I hold the same opinion for men; e. g. I think that women AND men who have multiple sexual partners are sluts and I do not congratulate either one in real life.

• 404filenotfound

I can only speak for myself, but I've never really encountered any of these.

I'm sure that these things still happen and I'd be being disingenuous if I tried to tell you that it didn't but I also don't think that these things are ever going to fully go away.

• Anticipation

Nice post, some of it is comical.

I see some of what you are talking about. But maybe not as much because men are becoming more aware of the cost of sexual harassment and body shaming.

We are even seeing anchors being fired or suspended for being inappropriate (or accused) behavior.

• Vacuum-Rats

LOL, a geek girl wearing a Megadeth t-shirt, eh?

I am not so sure about number 3 and number 6. There is also more double standards, both against men and against women. Genital mutilation, single dad, child support, hitting, man avoiding fatherhood vs woman avoiding motherhood and much more.

It will be better over the next few decades but it won't be totally gone.

• CaliforniaDreaming80

I agree with Number Four. Here's why, Because as an average girl who is not attractive like most gals. When I compliment men they get offended and say I'm chasing them. When I see the same men get compliments from women who are very attractive. They gush and are all over them. But that's okay that tells me a lot about the person in question. by the way Kudos to the Poster for writing this "Annoying Double Standers" I totally agree with it.

• DeeDeeDeVour

This 12 of the Most Annoying Double Standards in Society made me laugh. :D

• AD240pCharlie

I've never actually seen the "men who sleep around are praised" stereotype in action outside of preadolescent boys in middle school, or in sitcoms. Women who sleep around are sluts and men who sleep around are pigs or fuckboys. Both are being judged.

• Tru-陳

That's not true unless you're Chistian (or some other religion that believes it's wrong to have sex before marriage) or you're jealous. Truth is many men are envious of other men who have a lot of sex. Getting a lot of sex as a man means he's high quality as women hold pretty much of all the power when it comes to sex. You can hardly shame someone for achieving what most men can't.

Also "fuckboy" is a new term and is a whole lot more than a guy who just has a lot of sex. It's a guy who is a narcissistic attention whore who uses and manipulates girls for sex.

• MermaidMotel

I agree with most of these.. disagree with some of these, but that's just personal opinion. Overall, very good mytake!!

• Celtero

Mhmm... good list. Only two points: There is a way to be fashionable that isn't slutty or fake, and getting laid for men is an active effort whereas for females it's passive.

• Robertinho

The human being in general is the most hypocritical creature in the universe... i should of been a dog.

• Ghassan2

Not being grateful that you're a human is the biggest middle finger ever.

• Robertinho

@Ghassan2 Indeed... but you got to ask yourself why that is though? And then go from there respectively.

• Ghassan2

Because of everything I have. I am blessed.

• Maxemeister

Some of these are wrong. Men are the ones looked down upon if showing anger in a situation. Why are men only allowed to be sad?

And how about self defense?

• kikisand

Good take. I like that there isn't a biased view and it explores both sides. Stereotypes are unnecessary.

• Just because it shows both sides, it doesn't make it "unbiased". Nothing about this is unbiased. Doesn't mean that I disagree with the take, though, I just need to point it out.

• Unit1

If I encounter even just ONE double standard, I disregard any person immediately and cut off all contacts if possible.

Luckily I haven't experienced many double standards.

Very good take!

• Anpu23

The belief that men can't be victims of domestic violence or rape.

• dragonfly6516

I'm open about the fact that I love sex, and don't need an attachment to enjoy it. People assume that I'm "easy" because I'm a sad fat girl. I have standards that I do not compromise on; I get to know men for at least two weeks before deciding if I will sleep with them or not.

I love food, I'm fat, and I'm neither sad, self hating, or lazy. I'm actually very active and love myself.

I'm not at all into women, I'm only into dominant men, but I'm not at all "girly" myself. I dress in mostly men's clothing, because it's comfortable and functional, so people always assume that I'm a lesbian.

The male breast thing annoys me too, because men also get hard nipples when aroused.

• Ephemera1

Some of these things are more like tone of what's said or how a person represents themselves or the people around them.

• MusicMayhem

Guy without heaps of friends is a loser with no dating prospects, girl without heaps of friends is just shy and cute.

• DizzyAster

Funny thing is I've never faced this stupidity in real life, only on the internet.
    Can someone tell me if this has happened to them and where?

good take, by the way

• MarcoIsAFailure

There is a difference made between man boobs and female boobs, because only female boobs are are a secondary sex characteristic.
    Men boobs are like boobs of little girls. Those aren't taboo either.

So I disagree about that being a double standard. It's just comparing apples to oranges.

You could argue about muscular men boobs which are hot enough to turn (most) women on. But then it's unfair again and you are discriminating on the grounds of attractive...

I'm not sure if it should be a taboo for women to show breasts or not (when breastfeeding it certainly should not). On the one hand I feel it should not, women's choice and all, but on the other hand I feel that it is in general a good thing that women are encouraged to cover up. Because men are creeps. I feel like it would lead to more harassment, if many (but not all / the majority) of women would go topless.
    Of course then the men would be to blame, I'm not a "she got it coming" guy, still...

• Also I might want to add, that here in germany men boobs are slowly turning into a taboo aswell.
      There was a law about construction workers working topless and soccer player aren't allowed to take their shirts off anymore either. Many still do, to trade shirts with other players etc. But officially they aren't allowed anymore.

• some others are very good points tho. I especially liked to emotion cartoon.

• Mr-Kabuki

there's a reason men and women get treated differentlty when sleeping around. they are on totally different playing fields when it comes to the sexual market place.

• what1234

But you will be still a loser if you will be emotional and show your weakness and no girl will be interested. I learnt that sometimes I have to fake some things.

• VaIiant

Nice copy of Bored Panda's post. Some real original content you got here.

• CubsterShura

Except 1 and 2, I agree with all. With 1, I'm not okay with either media showing women in bikinis or women breastfeeding in public. Unfortunately the world is too unsafe to breastfeed in public and i can't do it when I know that people are watching. Men won't see breastfeeding, they only see breasts and i shouldn't let them have a good watch. You cannot change the society overnight, it makes time. Maybe somewhere in future it will be okay to breastfeed in public hopefully.

With 2, err, I just don't like the idea of nudity for either gender. But I'm not into believing that men and women should cover the same amount of skin. No. Men and women are different. Equal? Yes. Identical? Nope.

• worldscolide

Very good mytake. Props for not being gender biased, seriously!!

• ATuairiscean

Really enjoyable take - Made me think, while I was aware of nearly all the female ones though the boobs everywhere/breastfeeding was a good one - More than a few of the male ones made me go "I never really thought of it that way" - The answer I dunno maybe is too look at society's role in general, it seems far to eager to group people into manageable labels as if it fears individual thought - The thing that seems most prevalent in double standards is that something "offends" you that is basically is none of your business - A lot of the perceptions is that this person does not fit your "idealised" type. it is not like you are being asked to have a relationship with them quite often you will never meet them again - I am always reminded of the adage "Before you judge others, take a long hard look in the mirror"

• Zorax

Incredibly accurate Take, I completely agree in almost every point.

• OreoMilkshake

I really enjoyed this myTake, it wasn't biased at all, it was balanced. It would be cool if you wrote more of these :)

• Likes2drive

Nice mytake, it's true too, made me laugh at a few things also

• lamera

great Take, on double standards on both sides maybe on day we can move forward