Despite the pushes for equality in the past 100 years, society still has a long way to go. I came across some photos recently that were quite telling about what many women and men in our society go through. For those who claim "men have it worse!" or "women have it worse!" put yourself in someone else's shoes for once because the truth is, MANY of these double standards are true and affect us all.
Until we can all come together and acknowledge these issues, we can't progress as a society. Some may call it wishful thinking to aim for decreasing double standards but it doesn't hurt to try, right? Raising awareness to issues in society is how all social changes are made. Both men and women are guilty of perpetrating these double standards against each other and even against members of their own sex! So, here are 12 of the most annoying, pathetic, and downright stupid double standards in society.
1. Images of boobs and cleavage everywhere but you better not get caught breastfeeding!
2. Why are female breasts still taboo but man boobs can be out in the open?
3. Male sexualization is cool, but not female sexualization!
4. Let's face it, sometimes how attractive someone is changes our perception...which goes for men AND women!
5. Revealing, or covered, housewife, or career woman...we just can't win.
6. If it's a guy, he sucks as an individual. If it's a girl, it's because "all women suck."
7. The great "makeup vs. no makeup" debate.
8. The differences in how society views emotions between men and women is incredible. *Negative labels are in red btw*
9. How you look on the outside dictates whether you are "allowed" to enjoy food.
10. Casual sex: when men do it, he's a stud. When women do it, she's a 'slut.'
11. Yes, there are even double standards when it comes to breast size!
12. Because men MUST be tough and can't possibly show weakness, be virgins, or have body image issues...apparently.
So there you have it. Double standards oddly enough...don't discriminate. Whether you are a man, woman, fit, overweight, tall, short, rich, or poor, there is a double standard that will inevitably affect you. Which double standards annoy YOU the most? Let me know in the comments!