Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...

We constantly hear the phrase from women that we are always objectified by men. We hear about how wrong and degrading it is. However, as a woman, I can say myself that just as many men are objectified by women too. This is not something that only affects one sex. Both men and women can be objectified, judged for their looks, and sexualized. So why does it seem that it's only an issue when it's happening to women? Let's not be hypocrites. If we want to stop the objectification of women, we need to also stop the objectification of men too. It's only fair...right?

As I'm sure all of you are aware, hurricane Irma recently caused massive devastation in Florida. In response to the disaster, the Gainesville Police Department uploaded a photo of several officers who would be working to do cleanup and rescue efforts.

What they didn't expect, however, was the overwhelming amount of sexual comments they would receive from women about the specific men in the photo. I think it's safe to say that this post "broke the internet." Here are just a few of the thousands of comments they received:

Of course, there were also comments from both men and women mentioning the double standard...

I for one, have to agree with the latter statements. If this was an image of three professional female officers and it were men making crude comments, I imagine there would be a huge outcry from women. If we are going to say it's bad to objectify or make sexual comments towards women, we have to hold ourselves to that same standard and avoid treating men the same way. Otherwise, how can you expect anyone to take your concerns seriously?

So, what's your opinion? Is objectification inherently wrong and if so, should it apply to both men and women? If you are a feminist, do the sexual comments by the ladies above bother you? Share your opinions below!

2583
scarlett is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 83

• I bet most women who support this would just sweep it under the rug with something like, "but men do it more so it doesn't matter!"

• www.facebook.com/.../?type=3
    Well, the fact is there is going to be a calender now

• Yes, this happens a lot more than people think but most people refuse to talk about this because it's not "politically correct". If a guy complains about this, he is almost instantly assumed to be "playing for the other team". This is something that needs to be discussed more often. Thanks for writing this.

• Women are so much more classy and creative with it tho.

"Be careful ladies... hang out with these guys and that thin blue line just might be on the pregnancy test" yo that is hilarious 😂😂

We all objectify eachother so what's the harm?

• 1|7
    • That superhero one was a great point, women at the most are pressured to stay lean and that's a hell of a lot easier than building muscle.

• @Daniel_James Women judge men's looks far more harshly than men judge women:

i.redditmedia.com/...z4PlPI7ytWIksArJuuWrhX5bA.png

http://i.imgur.com/2MstAzl.gif

Women complain about being "objectified." Who can men complain to about women only finding the top 20% of guys attractive enough to date?

This is how most men feel almost all the time:
      i.pinimg.com/.../...f051006eeed0c3659ac8b92bfe.jpg

Who cares about that? Who cares about us? Goddamned no one. Women hog all the sympathy in the world all to themselves and they leave us with all the blame.

You hate a man for looking at your tits, guess what, he feels lonely all the fucking time and he felt less lonely for one second by looking at your tits because your beauty and the mere imagination of your love was enough to make him stop looking inward at his own pain just a little bit, just for a second.

And all you could think is, "Eww, disgusting pig! How DARE he?"

• Of course men objectify women, and women objectify men. And it's not just about sex and sexuality, it's about a wide number of different things. You don't think that a woman objectifies a male plumber when he comes over to fix her sink?

Men objectify women sexually because we're driven to by biology, our body reacts involuntarily to beauty and markers of sexuality, pupils dilate, heart rate increases, increased sweating, increased anxiety, etc...

Women objectify men, they look at men for their status and utility, in fact women are far more choosy about their intimate partners than men are.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the above, it's how the human race survived and engaged in pair bonding and mating for millions of years that allowed us to evolve. The problem has been the radical 3rd wave feminists who have whined on and on about how facts of reality, such as men are sexually attracted to women, is somehow a problem that needs to be stamped out.

Just because we sometimes see the utility in each other doesn't mean that's ALL we see, it's just sometimes that's what we care about in the moment. The idea that feminists will unprogram millions of years of evolutionary history by being shrill and irrational is so painfully stupid, words don't even begin to describe it.

• Wow. Doesn't surprise me too much, but usually it isn't so apparent and especially not called out. I noticed also the "fuck the police" comment got over 10000 likes. Meanwhile, 3/4 of the guys got over 100 likes. That one f the police comment in particular getting the most likes paints a good pic. These officers may be married. Imagine the awkwardness. Also, one thing if these gals mentioned their actual good will BEFORE the looks, but NO, they didn't even consider the part of the good will. Nothing. Just looks. I had a feeling many girls were more shallow than people think and this may prove a lot. Just makes me more confident in being single. can't stand the looks based attraction shit of today. Not gonna worry much about it. I work my ass off standing my ground and staring them down when my roommates catcall and shit. But its not making it easier to persuade them not to if girls are gonna do similar shit! I can actually see a society in the future when men are more sexualized. If that means girls and guys are on a more even playing feild, fine, but that doesn't advance society. Society will advance when looks dont matter at all and only brain and heart do. Cause looks can change easy. Brain and heart often not so much.

• We know we are but the difference is we don't care, a lot of guys like it.

Despite what women say they secretly like it as well, the difference being is that they only have a issue with it if the man doing it is unattractive.

That's when it becomes a "social" "feminist" issue.

• exactly. same with the "catcall" video.. Basically if the guy is unattractive they want to be able to scream "RAPE" and "HARASSMENT" but if he's "hot" then its ok. They want to be able to play whatever card suits their interest. this is basically the foundation of feminism; To "empower" women yet absolve them of any guilt and responsibility when it suits their interest

• and by empower i mean give them power over men

• @animus1988 I know what you mean lol.

• well men really don't give a shit about that. Plus there's not really a fear of men being kidnapped and raped by women. ( Not saying men don't get raped by women. Because they do.) Simply saying its not a constant point of fear for men.

• the fact is that most men want to be objectified. As long as that's a pretty well-known common interest among men, guys who complain about other men being objectified will always be perceived as complaining about the "other" more so than the "objectified".

There are, of course, exceptions. But that's not the point.

• I dont' really care about male sexualization because I don't really care about female sexualization. I do it quite liberally and gratuitously depending on who I'm around to be quite honest. But, I do wholeheartedly agree that if we can't sexualize you guys, you can't sexualize us, lest y'all be raging hypocrites. So in conclusion, we should all sexualize eachother. The end.

• I agree, I don't see sexualization as a major problem and don't really care when anyone does it. I just know that tons of women find it disgusting yet many of those women then turn around and do the same thing to men. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of it all.

• Ya I can't stand those sorts of chicks. Hypocrisy is such a turn off

• I happen to think women are worse just men are more open and bold about it

Females are definantly more subtle about that. But when it does happen they are a pack of wild wolves lol

• Of course women objectify men, that's something that should never have had to be stated. While I don't think its necessarily wrong to find people attractive I do think its wrong when we have a double standard where its bad when men do it but women can do it without question (and worse. Their are women out their who think they can grab and grope a guy simply because he is a man and she is a woman).

• This is what I've always been saying, and I'm glad a woman said it too.
    I honestly don't mind the comments those women made, but it does bother me that if the genders were reversed, there would be a huge outcry about it.

A big hypocrite about this issue is buzzfeed. They write articles about how sexist society is because women are objectified, but right beneath that article there's one about men in basketball shorts.
    This is something feminists have created, they only talk about women, and never men, and they mask that with the equality excuse.

• Why would a feminist be offended by these women's comments to a feminist men are nothing more than cattle to be flayed open and hacked up at a whim and if murder against men were legal they would be the ones doing it through extreme torture by the hundreds every day! As far as is it wrong to objectify sexually I cannot say because if I do it to a woman she will take offense but if a woman objectified me and made sexual comments about me I would feel flattered that I was hot enough to provoke such desire in them, better than "OH GOD EVERYONE RUN SHREK THE OGRE IS COMING!", I mean seriously would you as a woman rather I say "Damn could you cover up some and here put this paper bag on your ugly mug!" OR "Wow you are fine as hell! What are you doing later?". But If millions of women are going to say it is the worst evil to happen on earth to be desired than yes we should stop it both ways and look for surgical methods to stop human breeding in both genders!

• I don't think people doubt girls do it, they obviously do if the guy is attractive enough. There standards for appearance to sexually objectify are just a LOT higher then men's.

The more interesting difference is that girls typically feel dehumanized when a man looks at them like a sex object. Men are more likely to embrace it and enjoy the fact girls would love to have sex with them but will still end up with a girl who can look past that.

• Yep double standards. I don't think it's bad girls made those comments. It's "bad" when one group is perceived as the victim (to pc delusional society).

• Well, I suppose you should pay close attention to your terminology first of all - there are slight and somewhat important differences between "objectified", "sexualised", and "sexually objectified". I think you've hit the nail on the head though in your title. These cops appear to have been labelled by all these women as hot cops, with nothing else to do with disaster relief.

But is this really a negative thing? I don't think so, and unless a sexually objectifying comment belittles or insults the receiver it should be perfectly okay. The men's reputations might have even been bettered by the Twitter comments.
    The women who commented, on the other hand, may be more likely to be seen as shallow for their shallow judgements or objectifications, or perhaps unfaithful or promiscuous. Their actions rightly come with consequences.

• I think this comment adds a lot to the take, and I totally agree! Are you really 17? You're very mature

• This take isn't about whether or not objectification is okay or the irrelevant minor differences between those terms. The point is, for those who think it IS wrong, then it must be wrong both ways, not ONLY when men do it. That was the sole point of this.

• I suppose you're correct. I just happen to think it's not fundamentally wrong.

• I think its great to acknowledge when someone looks good but I have to agree completely. If those were comments made by men towards female officers, they would be be destroyed by the news, feminists, vilified nationwide.

I don't think people should stop giving compliments or acknowledging the good looks of others but it should be treated in the same manner both ways. If women can make comments like that on facebook, garnering tens of thousands of likes without backlash, I should be able to as well without being vilified.

• women dont actually dislike being "objectified' they actually love it. they just want to be able to shame and punish ugly dudes for talking to them haha

• very legit. i forget to add that. its almost always (99% of the time) ugly and fat girls who are the ones bitching about getting attention aka "catcalled" by guys IN THEIR LEAGUE LOL. another reason they bitch is to get more attention

• @animus1988

I think you're right on this one.

But I remember being bought up as a South Asian (North Indian) even though my family is pretty much western, I still was shamed to be sexual.

On top of that I was forced to take contraceptive pills by doctors at 14 till 20, I think I wasn't old enough to make the choice. I remember saying to the doctor I don't feel taking them, and he said, "I don't trust you, you'll get pregnant".

So my sexual desire was nada. Nothing. I was pretty much asexual. I didn't really understand what catcalling is. I was told by other womennnnnnn that it's bad. Verrrrry bad.

It is indeed verrrrrrrry bad when a man that finds me attractive.. and I feel similar towards him !!! But because of the shit was ingrained in my head, I had to be disgusted with it and think of it as some sort of abuse.

What is sooooo wrong with a man saying to a woman, I think you look beautiful.

I still get catcalled. But now my response is thank you or a smile.

• 6d

I knew this about women from watching cfnm/cmnf porn.
    cmnf (clothed male, nude female) usually has women doing other things without any sex involved. There are plenty of sex and non sex videos,
    While cfnm (clothed female, nude male) nearly always leads to sex.

It's true for male strippers. The ladies there are animals compared to female strippers who get treated with the utmost care.

I've gone to strip clubs and 90% of the guys there are very respectful to the naked ladies, usually older men who aren't cunts.

• More from Guys
    63

What Girls Said 25

• I agree.
    If it had happened to 3 police women, feminists would be bitching how women aren't taken seriously in the workforce as well as probably find someway to bring up the bullshit, non existent wage gap.

• media.giphy.com/media/3h5pe45FM9qUM/giphy.gif
    First of all, there's a difference between objectifying and sexualising.

Sexualization (or sexualisation) is to make something sexual in character or quality, or to become aware of sexuality

objectification - the action of degrading someone to the status of a mere object.

The difference should be painfully obvious to everyone. And what you're talking about is sexualisation not objectification

Second of all, who is saying men aren't objectified? I don't think that's most people. Most people might say men are less objectified on a daily basis but I don't think I've ever heard someone say they think men are not objectified at all

• dude does it really men if they are sexualised or objectified? women are literally saying we want to fuck them and we want to see them naked

• @Z-Spark Actually, women like rich men because it means they're successful and powerful and stuff, and that literally makes the men seem more attractive to them so liking them for their money counts as actually liking them. You guys were talking about rich men with lots of money, right?

• I agree with op owner however I think the choosing thing is fucked up you should be with someone because you like them not because of what they can give you or they are more of a family man hence the choosing

• some of those comments are disgusting 😷 I'm aware that women do sexually objectify and harass but I am not one of them.

• I agree with you that this happens a lot to men and is ignored. Jason Momoa actually ended an interview early because the women interviewing him repeatedly asked him to take off this shirt. While it's uncomfortable for a man or a woman to be objectified, I think society is more opposed to men sexualizing women because men are typically more threatening. Think about the amount of fear a woman feels while being catcalled. You don't know if the guy who's winking at you while you're driving is going to follow you home. But, for a man, it's less likely he's in danger from any unwanted advances. Nevertheless, most of these comments, while some are pretty funny, are way out of line.

• Sure they are, no one says they don't. But it's far less then women. Not that it's a competition. If you look at it even girls considered unattractive are objectified more than a guy who's just average. Both sexes have their own struggles and most we share, but one sex usually gets it to a larger proportion. For instance men and women commit suicide, but there's an overwhelming majority of men suffering from depression leading to kill themselves more than wome.

• "even girls considered unattractive are objectified more than a guy who's just average"

That's just proves average men have it much difficult than average or ugly women.

• @shortguyloser True. I think for women it's more the psychological image they create of the guy in their head.

Not to say that they don't like a guy with a symmetric face, but the body and appearance isn't as important to them. For us men, attractiveness is more about visual stimuli with 'less' emphasis on status and image.

• the ''men are visual'' tests didn't even test 0.000000001% of the general population. Cyber scientists make me laugh all the time. whats next, will you talk about the left and right side of the brain and which gender uses it more?

• Honestly, I don't like double standards, but I think people should be able to express attraction. And that's all this is. I know some people are offended by objectification but is it really wrong? I mean if it happened to me I'd take it as a compliment!

• Equally disgusting to see a member of opposite gender nothing more than a piece of meat to stick and lick.

• It's true. I was looking at the picture of those police officers thinking, "dang they're hot cops." Shame on me. 😂

• there is no shame to that. i dont see why its bad to be attracted to people. I love when I get that attention, it just boosts my narcissistic ego

• I love this take! I couldn't agree more with you!!

• Yes it goes both ways and I think both ways are classless acts.

Speaking from experience, objectification does make you feel like an object and not human. It puts me in a state of depression when it happens. It's like all you feel you are good for is looks, when there is so much more to you :(

• 7d

Of course. Ever been to the strip club? Men try and talk smack about strippers, but their the ones laughing all the way to the bank because men stupidly throw money and get nothing in return. Strippers are not prostitutes.

• "Is objectification inherently wrong and if so, should it apply to both men and women?" - I don't know is it wrong. I don't think that people think.. enough... so, maybe they objectify out of a habit.
    " do the sexual comments by the ladies above bother you?" - I've never seen anything like this before, so I'm bothered by extremely bad timing for this. I don't know if those women are sarcastic or what, but it's so bizarre.

• I agree both sexes do it. It doesn't matter who does it, it's rude. There are very few who find it flattering.

• Nothing new here. This has been going on for ages.

• Of course men are sexually objectified as well. Humans are sexual creatures. Let's stop pretending we aren't. And let's stop acting like it's wrong.

• I thought the comments were hilarious and the men seemed to enjoy every minute of it to the point where they are now making a calendar.

• Tl;dr but I never thought we didn't Lol.

• its more common and prominent towards women tho

• 7d

I think the problem tends to be the overall response to these things whether it is men or women being objectified: Stuff like, "Well, if the wo/men commenting their opinions on the story are hot, is it a problem?" "What's wrong with a few 'compliments'?" "These officers should appreciate that people think they are hot and can do their jobs. Nothing wrong with that."

It's frustrating because in many cases, people tend to only consider it REAL objectification if those doing the objectification are 'ugly'. Or you brought up the word feminist... I mean, it shouldn't matter whether that person is a feminist or not, they should feel the same way about people being objectified, which is that it is wrong to do and whether the subject is fe/male or not, should not matter.

• 7d

Another bitter man. Lol.

• 6d

So judgmental, for someone who lacks confidence and hides behind the anonymous function.

• 4d

Because I spoke up about something that affects men? Lmao In my past myTakes, I have spoken about issues women face too. Insulting instead of leaving a relevant comment just shows you have nothing of any importance to say. And going anon to say it just shows you can't stand behind your words which is quite sad. Bye now. :)

• More from Girls
    5