Heightism: the Type of Discrimination That You Didn’t Know Existed

Humans come in all different heights, some are short, some are medium, some are tall and very few are giant. So who usually tends to suffer the most when it comes to heightism? Most of you already know, it’s short people. Specifically short men. Society puts too much of an emphasis on height while completely disregarding the fact that height alone is mostly aesthetics.

Why do women like tall men? Well, it depends but ironically it usually has nothing to do with aesthetics but rather the illusion of protection. Tall stature is erroneously associated with the ability to protect because many people mistake tall stature with brute strength based on how the media depicts tall men as brutes who are impervious to pain, which I briefly criticized here.

The cliché indestructible big man
The cliché indestructible big man

Tall stature does not equal strength, prowess, fluidity, agility, physical attractiveness or skill: Before we discuss how tall stature is overhyped in society, I’ll clarify a few things first.

Height, strength, Fluidity, agility, skill and prowess are separate things. When comparing height and strength, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. You can be 6’5” but still be physically weaker than a 5’9” person. For example, during the making of “the day the Earth stood still”(1951), the 7’7” actor Lock Martin couldn’t carry the much smaller Patricia Neal or Michael Rennie by himself, so they improvised by having him carry dummies instead. Another example is how the 6’1” Eddie Hall is known for being physically stronger than the 6’9” Hafthor Bjornsson. Of course you can still be tall and strong but those two aren’t synonymous with each other, they are two separate traits.

agility and speed is something that many larger people tend to lack, too much weight will usually slow you down and combined with tall stature can cause injuries. Which is why many professional athletes who are above 6’5” tend suffer from leg injuries. Examples Paul Wight, Yao Ming, Kevin Nash, Dalip Singh Rana, etc.

prowess and skill are individual traits that have absolutely nothing to do with height. They are traits you can develop regardless of your height.

Physical attractiveness and height are completely irrelevant to each other. You can have unattractive facial features regardless of height. Same goes with body shape. You can be in bad shape regardless of height. Considering how most women don’t care about looks since it’s said that they aren’t as visual when it comes to attraction, women tend to focus more on height than handsomeness.

Fluidity is another trait that shorter people have that is often forgotten. This can be seen in open weight divisions or absolute divisions of BJJ where smaller competitors use their fluidity to defeat larger and stronger competitors as can be seen here and in the video below. I’ve also written several takes on this subject before.

The double standard: Sports and aesthetics aside, let’s focus on one of the main points here and that is the double standard. Why is it that women are allowed to have height standards but if a man chooses to have weight standards, he receives hate? I guess it should be common sense but it’s not that there is little you can do about your height but if you put in a decent effort you can do something about your weight, no offense intended. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with having height preferences but at least be considerate of males who have weight preferences.

The ad hominem and straw man: Obviously whenever someone brings up the topic of heightism, someone with a fragile ego usually gets upset and starts to use ad hominems by saying things like “Napoleon complex”, “little man syndrome” and other insults. These are the same people that make a bunch of excuses whenever a small person comes out on top in a competition against a taller competitor. It’s not just a ad hominem, it’s also straw man because their intentions are to attack the weakest point of the argument.

Good point
Good point

Heightism in Hollywood: I’ve talked about this before here Hollywood practices heightism by giving most dominant roles to tall actors and actresses. Occasionally short actors do get dominant roles but they are exceptions like Tom Cruise. Ask yourself this, how often do you see 5’3”-5’6” actors and actresses get a “Jason Bournesque” role?

The Netherlands: Many people wonder why the Netherlands is known as the country that has the tallest people on average. The answer is not known for sure and there could be more than one explanation. One of these explanations is that they are extremely pressured by society to only date taller partners. They are not forced to, that would be Eugenics but they feel an overwhelming pressure to date, marry and have offspring with tall individuals. So what this does is highly decrease the quantity of short people in the Netherlands. This is a form of heightism that puts many short Dutch people at a disadvantage when it comes to dating in the Netherlands. There is so much of an emphasis on tall stature over there. Short guys like myself would never find a date in the Netherlands. Note: I’m not trying to offend Dutch people, it’s a country that I have a lot of respect for. I’m also not trying to generalize all Dutch as having the same preference.

Heightism linked to racism: Asians use to be to known for being shorter on average than other races. In recent years Asians have gotten taller but still, that stereotype is still around. You may have noticed how Asians rarely get representation in Hollywood and in other parts of the media. I briefly talked about this here. How often do you see an Asian get a lead role in Hollywood? It’s almost never. Try finding a movie with a dominant Asian lead and you’ll realize that it’s like finding a needle in a haystack as in you’ll have to look extra hard for one. However, I’ll give credit where it’s due and acknowledge that we have recently seen a slight increase in lead roles going to Asian actors. For example Mayhem, the foreigner and into the Badlands. However we also got a increase in dominant supporting roles going to Asian actors, examples: Rogue one, Tomb Raider and Ready player one. So it seems that Hollywood is starting to hear the Asian-American community. Although it still has a long way to go.

A great action movie with a dominant Asian Lead

Heightism in modeling: Let’s address the elephant in the room and acknowledge that Tall males have greater success in the profession of modeling. The “ideal” height for a male model is 6’2”. Just look at the Hollister models, they are usually above average height and are required to stay in good physical condition. Let’s compare that to female modeling where all these “body acceptance” movements allow them to be diverse in body shape.

Are you a heightist? Do you look down on people who are shorter than you? Do you treat taller people better? Do you constantly use phrases like “little man syndrome” and “Napoleon complex”? Do you get jealous whenever you see a successful short person succeed? If you said yes to at least one of these questions you might be a heightist depending on the circumstance. Now, of course it can also be vice versa as well.

Now, let’s be fair. Of course being tall has its benefits as well. For example you can take bigger steps, you have better reach, you have a higher chance of getting hired and if you’re a male, you have it slightly easier in the dating world.

But there are also also benefits that come with being shorter, such as being able to fit in smaller places, living longer on average, not prone to as many injuries, having lower center of gravity and being more fluid in mobility.

I find it odd that the same progressive liberal social movements that claim to fight “inequality” and discrimination(sexism, racism, body shaming) take part in heightism.

Heightism is a type of discrimination that many people seem to ignore or are oblivious to, it’s something that needs to be addressed more often. No matter what your height is, embrace it and don’t be ashamed of it. If you’re short don’t try that leg lengthening surgery which may be excruciating and if you are tall don’t slouch.

While heightism mostly affects males. Females experience a similar type of discrimination known as “Ageism” but I’ll talk about that later on.

17
31

Most Helpful Guys

• dantetheexplorer
    I always find it amusing when people say "People have preferences". Yeah, people have preferences but preferences don't just pop up in a vacuum, out of nowhere. If preferences were completely based on a person's inner monologue with themselves and ONLY themselves, you'd see just as many men dating chubby women as those dating model-esque women, just as many women dating shorter men as those dating taller men, just as many Asian Man + White Female pairings as White Man + Asian Female.

The fact that you see one a lot more than the other is that your preference has been affected by popular culture and media. Is it wrong to be drawn to those you are drawn to? No, of course not. But it doesn't hurt to understand and be aware of how your preferences came about and realize that YES, you do discriminate against short men, black women, Asian men, fat women, etc. Discrimination is not something that's just done by EVIL people or MONSTROUS people. Discrimination is something that's done by all people, to one degree or another - some people may have learnt to quell their discrimination against certain groups to a negligible level, some might even be PROUD in their discrimination against others. Unless you've lived in a CAVE somewhere since you were born, you've been affected one way or another by discrimination, whether as the one discriminating, or the one being discriminated against.

To @ADFSDF1996. I'm going to give you a thumbs up for the topic, because you've presented it in a very level-headed manner, and very nuanced, and more importantly, you've stopped from maligning anyone. For that, I salute you. However, I think your post might be wasted here - such is the nomenclature of a significant portion of the GaG community that you will find yourself faced with insults against your height (of course, only a short man would write THIS!) or sexuality or political leaning - even when none of that has any bearing whatsoever on the well-thought-out post you've presented.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Also, @ADFSDF1996, I would add that in soccer, we value all sorts of players, short and tall, big or small. Each one brings their own strengths and weaknesses to the soccer field. A smaller player can be the best players in the world (see: Maradona, Messi)

• TripleAce
    Oh of course it exists... my ex girlfriend was my height... and she had a huge problem with my height because when she wore heels she didn't like being taller than me... like it was actually an issue

People seem to mask discrimination or racial tendencies with preferences... but preferences DO NOT determine who you date...
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• alice55
    In my country being tall is considered the best for both gender, short girl are extremly insecure in my country and always want to be taller, they lie about their height or are super bitter to girl tall like model, etc..

A tall height is better for actor / actress / model, etc.. because on tv people always look shorter that they're, too clothes look better on tall people (they can wear what they want and look great not the same for short people).

In dating, I never understand this obsession with tall height, like why would a woman who's 5'1 refuse to date a man who's shorter than 5'10 ? That's stupid, she's going to look ridiculous next to a tall guys. Too if she date a guy who's 5'8 she's still going to be much more smaller than the guy so I don't see why some short girl refuse to date a man who aren't at least 5'10.

In my country guys under 5'10 are often insecure about their body so like they can't change their height, they work out and they often have a better body than the tall guys.

Personally I prefer tall guys but I'm often attracted to short guys because they got a muscular body (which I prefer to height).

Too I don't think height is really a preference it's more of a cultural brainwashing stuff.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Audiofox
    I don't know, I’ve never had a problem dating shorter guys. One was about a foot shorter. I’m 5’11” though so my options are often limited.

I can’t say guys have always been particularly kind about my height. Many have turned me down or flat out called my ugly because of how tall I am and how that reflects in the size and shape of my limbs, hands and feet.
    Is this still revelant?
    • While I’ve seen many attractive tall women, I don’t even bother trying to flirt with them because I’m under the impression that tall women are strictly into tall guys.

• We are limited

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1529
  • hasrett
    Oh give it a break already.
    People are allowed to like whatever they like. No one gives two shits if it can be changed or not. Why should they?
    *Any* reason to reject someone is a good one. No one owes you a chance, whatever for. You would for example not date someone because you don't share a sense of humour, but hey, isn't sense of humour also something that can't be changed?
    As for modelling and movie roles, I have no objections there either. These stuff is only an issue in industries like those. You'll never see anyone complain about not getting a job in an engineering company because they don't have a degree in it. It's simply not fitting the requirements. Of course, it's harder on human ego when their physical attributes aren't matchy-matchy with societal standards. There's physical requirements for such jobs because modelling is completely, and acting industry is partly looks based. It's like that because people like to look at attractive stuff.
    Women are dumb sometimes. They think that if there's a fat chick on a billboard that suddenly fat will equal beautiful, which is not true because people aren't blind.
    Now go ahead and downvote all you want.
    • Missing the point and going straight to ad hominems.

• I’ve proved to you that tall stature is mostly aesthetics, yes it comes with some advantages but it also comes with disadvantages which I listed.

You can keep going with your propaganda of promoting the supposed “superiority” of tall men that only happens in movies. But reality and physics disagree with you.

• hasrett

Ad hominems where?
      Where exactly did I say that it's not mostly aesthetics and that there are some advantages in being tall? My point IS that it's mostly aesthetics.

• jellyroo
    Please, enough with the - isms and "here's why dating who you want to date, and not dating someone because it would be the kind thing do, is WRONG."

What do you seriously expect people to do? To go after people that do not attract them? To turn dating into a charity?

Of course you should take a look at your preferences and consider how much they actually mean to you if you want to find a meaningful relationship, but if you're ignoring your preference and is left in a relationship thinking about how it's not really working for you, how is that healthy?

Also, height preference is not strictly for females (I'm willing to believe it is MOSTLY female however).
    I have multiple female friends who can't wear high heels in their relationship, because it makes their MAN feel bad. They don't care, but their man will feel emasculated.

I have a tall female friend who is very often made fun of and the butt of jokes because of her height. And she's been called ugly, unattractive by men and asked if she's really a man or a tranny.

So you know. People get hot by things that make them hot, and it's silly to think this must be changed in some way because there are people out there less likely to be considered hot for X reason.
    • Like I said, it’s fine if women have height preferences but they be hypocritical by complaining when a man says he has a weight preference.

• jellyroo

Okay, but what relevance does that have to discrimination?
      Guys don't generally like fat chicks, and women don't generally like tiny men. The point is WHAT?

• The hypocrisy, why is it that women tend to get offended by men who have weight preferences but are still open about their height preferences? It’s a double standard.

• SaintJonesy
    I'm short and I don't know if I entirely agree. I don't believe there is active discrimination against short men. There is certainly subconscious discrimination, but you can't change that. It's essentially just "lookism".

Unfortunately, humans have a preference for larger men, because size DOES correlate to physical strength. Not necessarily, obviously someone who is 5'4" and works out is going to be a helluva lot stronger than someone who is 6'2" and plays video games every day, although the latter is still going to be more attractive to the median woman and PERCEIVED as stronger by her subconscious mind.

I'm really strong. Pound-for-pound, I'm the strongest person I know. But the fact is, I'm only 130 lbs, if I got into a fight with another cave person, it doesn't matter that I'm probably stronger, because he only has to move around a 130 lbs object, where I might have to be working against someone who is fifty to a hundred pounds heavier than me.

Short men will always get subtly pushed to the background unfortunately. People don't respect us, nor are they attracted to us. But you can have a very fulfilling life doing your own thing. We just have to try to keep from being underfoot (har har har).
    • Not quite, Height doesn’t actually correlate strength. It’s been proven on several occasions that height has nothing to do with strength. Those examples I gave above are just 2 of the many examples where height doesn’t translate into strength. Let’s not forget that shorter people have a lower center of gravity making it easier for short people to do certain types of exercises.

People often confuse weight with strength as well. Usually tall people way more than shorter people and may often use their “weight” to facilitate certain tasks. For example, in a tug of war contest. You can have a 6’5” 260lb man competing with a 5’10” 190lb man. Let’s assume both guys work out in the same manner. But obviously the heavier guy is going to use his weight to his advantage which will make it appear that he is stronger when he is not. And it can be priced in the gym. For example I know a 5’5” guy that weighs around 160lbs but can still lift more than the 5’11” 180lb man who is also in good shape.

• @SaintJonesy Now, in regards to prowess and skill. It’s rather naive for the masses to assume the larger person will always win in a fight. It’s been also proven on several occasions that shorter people can successfully take on larger people in fights.

The video above shows a much smaller competitor winning against a much larger competitor, it’s not just size vs speed. There are many more factors involved, specifically fluidity which is a advantage shorter and smaller people have over larger people. Even in contests where both are equally skilled.

• TheRedLemon
    I`m 2 meters (6.56 feet) tall. And yeah, we all already knew people discriminate against shorter people but it`s not even realavant, stop trying to make everyone equal, the world isn`t fair so deal with it. A completely fair world is a boring one.
    • I wrote this article/take to correct the misconceptions of short people. Many people have the wrong idea of short people.

• @TheRedLemon Because yes, there are several other advantages of being short aside from the few I mentioned here.

• .. and there are a lot more to being tall but it`s irrealavant because you can`t shop for bodies. Oh also i never read these kinds of posts in their entirey because you know exactly what they`re trying to say from the title and first few rows.

• Rissyanne
    People have preferences... you aren’t going to change it.
    • Preferences and discrimination are two different things. I don’t care if a woman has preferences for tall men but when the media erroneously claims that taller is better. People need to speak out.

• @ADFSDF1996 Well yeah, the media does claim taller is better (and other BS-things). But shorter men ~5'5-8" still date. I don't really know how much the "height preference" norm is common in practice with those who are dating or the amount of impact it does have in the dating world for guys.

• Rissyanne

And what will that accomplish? Nothing.

• VaIiant
    While well worded, while reading this entire Take I couldn't help thinking that you're obviously a man whose 5'5, 5'6, and gets rejected by girls and chalks it up to height.
    Some women have a preference for taller men. Some don't. It's a PREFERENCE. "Heightism" is absolutely retarded, and just another way SJW snowflakes are trying to play the victim.
    If a man says he likes girls with a certain boob size, is he Boobist? If a man prefers brunettes, is he Blondeist? Both are genetic traits you can't control. Liking one or the other doesn't make you some kind of phobic, it just means you have a type.
    • Actually I do get a lot of female attention but I usually reject them because they are not the type I’m attracted to.

• @Valiant Heightism isn’t just limited to dating. It’s also present in the media, certain jobs and in society. It’s actually the “SJWs” who practice heightism.

• The media and certain employers at jobs don’t discriminate based on small breasts and hair color. How often do you hear someone being turned down just for being blonde? Is Hollywood lacking in either blonde or brunette actors and actresses?

Not to mention how much an emphasis people put on tall stature. So yes, heightism is an actual type of discrimination. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination

• studDMuffF1n
    Lol this is hilarious. Your obviously short and trying to paint a dilusional rational. Height is attractive. It is what it is. If I stand next to a manlet it's clear who looks like a boy and who looks like a man. Being short will never be "in". there's just not much societal praise for being short and I don't see that changing. I like taller women cuz there more beautiful and you can clearly see it when they stand next to a shorty. Better proportions.
    • @studDMuffF1n Hey, it’s not my fault your ego was shattered by this take/article. What you are saying is all a matter or opinion that is erroneous. If your height is all you have to brag about then I sincerely pity you.

• I can't wait for your next article on "why small dicks are better." Keep it up, you know what if you say it enough maybe it will come true.

• @studDMuFFF1n How cliché, you are not the only one that has used the package size ad hominem.

• This post smells like an unwashed fedora.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson
    • The truth (red pill) can be hard to swallow, at least the blue pill (denial) is easier to swallow.

• VixenRach

Uh, what?

• Women are heightist

https://i.imgur.com/pwmw7nc.jpg
  • ChronicThinker
    Let's clear the air: everyone is allowed to have standards regardless of what others think.

Also, you said that "women are allowed to have height standards but men get hate for weight standards," uh, we get a SHIT TON of hate for having height standards. Especially on G@G. On G@G, if you want a tall man, you have 3 people on your comments cussing you out for being a shallow, piece of shit whore who deserves death.

Can we just accept that people are allowed to have physical standards?

For the rest of it: it's real interesting and such.
    • I never said you can’t have standards, all I said in regards to dating is to not be hypocritical about it.

• It has to do with evolution women liking tall men just like men liking short girls it's built in both and it's okay...

• ADFSDF1996

@Wowgirl30q Except that not every woman likes tall guys.

• jacquesvol
    • The article says that there are biases people have towards tall people. While the rest of the points are based on percentages and this can’t be objective truths.

While that article seems to be explaining the perks of being tall. Here is a article explaining the perks of being short www.telegraph.co.uk/.../...its-of-being-short.html

• AD240pCharlie
    I'm 6'1 so I've never really been subjected to this "heightism" thingy you're talking about, but regarding your last statement, I do believe that women face it as well since studies have shown that men in general tend to prefer shorter women (5'1 - 5'5) over taller women, if your standard for what is considered "discrimination" is whether or not someone will date you.
    • Heightism isn’t only about dating, it’s how short people are represented in society.

• lizziepooh03
    I am sorry... do you want my pity each time I recognize a man's height with respect to the value people give that man.
    • It’s not his height that plays a role in his personality.

• I could say the same thing about weight.

• Yes you could... and accurately... I wish you would.

• Browneye57
    If you're short you can't do anything about it anyway. So quit whining about it. LOL
    It's always the short guys whining about what height girls like. pfft.
    • What I said is that height is mostly for aesthetics rather than practicability.

• Women are biologically programmed to seek out the most suitable mate to protect them. It comes from cave man days where she sought protection for her and her offspring from sabertooth tiger and roaming tribesmen. The bigger and stronger he was the better.
      That pea brain of hers hasn't kept up with the times - she still seeks a big and strong man. Just check out the dating profiles - "Must be over six foot tall". And "I'm not going to settle so don't waste my time." LOL

A short guy just needs to focus on women shorter than he. My dad was only 5-8, and mom was 5-2. They seem short by today's standards.

The only guys that complain about this are the ones under about 5-8. But just look how many there are! And there are plenty of women that want what you got - whatever that is. You just have be awesome! A big fat wallet goes a LONG way!

• That’s interesting, from my experience it’s the taller women who tend to show interest towards shorter guys. Many shorter women tend to prefer taller guys.

• Catholicgirl22
    I'm not sure what your take is trying to prove. At 5'0ft I may be considered a victim of heightism though I dont feel like a victim.
    Maybe it's hypocritical of me but I do find taller men more sexually attractive. I dont think I've ever been attracted to a short guy.
    • I am going to have to be blunt.

You mean taller as in only guys no less than 7+ inches taller than you?

And I see your username is Catholic. The church loves to tell guys that their sexual attraction is a sin.

• 7+ inches no, maybe at least 5,10 preferably 6'0 and over. Hypocritical of me because If I was a few inches shorter I'd be a midget yes but I can't help that.
      @UncleJessieRabbit the church also holds to "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I like most people am a sinner.

• TripleAce

if you've never been attracted to a shorter man... that looks really bad lol.. I must say hahah
      like you're so short... and you only date tall men... thats a little much lol
      a guy 5'6 should be no problem for you since you are only 5feet... he would be tall to you..

but it seems like you want tall to everyone else... so its not for you, its to show off you are with a tall man

• ShortCircuit
    In case you didn't notice, every single girl in the entire first video started off not by saying that they wouldn't date a short guy, but by saying that they wouldn't date a guy shorter--THAN THEM.

Poll the women on G@G right the fuck now. I guarantee you that at least 80% of them will say height doesn't matter aside from being taller than them comparatively, even just by one or two inches.

So the solution is pretty god damn simple:

... just date a chick that's shorter than you.

i.kym-cdn.com/.../notsurprisedkirk.jpg
    • A lot of shorter girls still prefer dating skyscrapers.

• If by "a lot" you mean a percentage of the population that is negligible at best, but that you're fixated on as a product of your pessimism and insecurity, then yes.

• Where I live there aren’t many short girls, they are mostly medium sized.

• Benedek38
    As much as I hate Daniel Cormier for cheating against Stipe Miocic (yes, those eye pokes got him his victory), we should talk about the fact that the current heavyweight champion of the UFC is a 5'11" man.
    I am just adding this to your "big man = tough man" argument.
    Regardless of whether DC is a cheater (which he is), the fact that he is competing against guys a foot taller than him shows that height doesn't always translate to strength or being able to protect them. As we stand right now, you can pick any man or woman on Earth, and there is a 99.9999% chance Daniel Cormier could literally kill them with bare hands in a fight, despite him being below what is generally considered "good genetics".

And Dana, if you are reading this, you are a piece of shit, and DC vs Miocic 2 has to happen as soon as possible.
    • Fedor Emilianenko is a good example too. That guy is a giant slayer.

• Benedek38

He's not that small though. 6 feet is well above average, most women would be content with that. But year, prime Fedor was a beast. But if he keeps on fighting, he has to get hooked on that good horse meat Bones and Lesnar were taking, because as of late he seems to be slowing down. I know technically he should just retire, but if he fights, at least give him the chance everyone else gets - after all, pretty much everyone takes steroids.

Seriously, it pisses me off that the guy is so clearly natural, and it costs him victories. I don't know if he was clear in Pride, but he obviously is now, and it's not doing him any favours. 15 years ago he would have murdered Matt Mitrione. Now he got taken out by a slow reaction.

• ScaryCool
    Your height is showing.

Seriously though, I get what you're saying but height isn't as big of a factor as you put effort into. The girls who say they want 6'4 guys aren't speaking on behalf of the entire population of women either.
  • englisc
    I'm 5'4", poor me right?

Fuck that. Many people have stupid ideas when it comes to things like this. I've had many people make stupid comments because of my height. I still get tired of all of this whining.

Everybody isn't born equal. Some people are smart, some people are dumb. Some are tall, some are short. Some are good looking, some aren't. Some are born to rich parents, some are born to poor parents. Whichever category you fit into, someone will hate you and criticise you for it or at least find a reason to criticise you because of it.

Instead of focusing on how "unfair" this is, you do the best with what you've got. This obsession with equality and fairness holds most people back in my opinion. It gives them excuses not to succeed, excuses that might or might not be true, and then they give up. Instead of working towards success they use those excuses to stay losers and do nothing but complain.
    • I don’t really care what people think about my height but I do like to correct the misconceptions about short people, that’s why I wrote this take/article.

• englisc

Some of what you say is true, but at the same time it will change nothing. There's a saying that goes "it's easier to build a stronger boat than to calm the sea", and that is exactly the way I think.

For example, your point about height and "feeling protected". I've trained since I was a kid in boxing, muay thai, BJJ, wrestling etc. I know this very well. Tall guys and bodybuilders are assumed to be the toughest based on appearance when that isn't true. Still, the reason women find this most attractive isn't based on their logic, it's based on their biological wiring. Their attraction isn't entirely logical and can't be changed with logic.

Then with the height vs weight double standard, those women are hypocrites and they know it, but they don't care. Knocking men for their height doesn't make them feel bad, but knocking them for their weight does and that's all they care about. They'll never change. It's much better for a short guy just to write them off as idiots and move on.

• Storm_Soldier2377
    Sure I can respect people having their preferences if I get rejected for being too short. What grinds my gears though is that if I reject someone for being fat I get labled a monster and lose friends while she gets to have a fucking pity party. This is why I don't have sympathy for fatties with their body issues you constantly hear pushed by the media.
  • Deuteros
    I'm tall over 6' and I would have to agree with most of this.

I'm not into online dating but I've read that they ask for men's height but not women's weight.
  • YuDunnoMe
    lol but I'm 5'1 so I don't think many tall guys would want to date me anyway since I look like a child. But tbh its kind of hypocritical that girls can give height restrictions without being shamed, while guys get shamed if they have weight restrictions.
    Even knowing that I still don't wanna date a dude shorter than me (but there are barely any)
    I could make exceptions if his personality is special tho
    • YuDunnoMe

Also y'all need to stop insulting Asian guys, I really like Asian guys so shut up.

• YuDunnoMe

aLsO some guys dont understand that a lot of girls correlate height with manliness and confidence and when your short they think your not confident dominant person. It has a lot to do with the stereotypes attached to short people rather than the actual appearance. But I know short guys that get tons of girls cuz they act like how tall guys act and girls get attracted to that personality trait. Also, a lot of short guys get really nervous around girls AND GUYS, so they just see that as being shyer and less confident and correlate that with your height since they assume your like that cuz of your height.

Like their dudes who are 6 and over but they are also pretty chubby. Girls care about weight almost as much as height (not speaking for all girls). Yet those guys are still ballin on girls cuz of their peRsOnAlity

so ye don't hate (kinda just made up my owns opinion so don't believe everything)

• YuDunnoMe

Like when girls imagine in their head their preference of guys, it's like "ok... tall", but when they see cool dudes in real life that are short, they STILL fall for them.

• 14amortalman
    Hmmm weird... I'm a pipe welder in the nuclear industry and honestly the smaller you are the better. There have been area's I could not get to because I was bigger. There are things that small people are far better at than tall people.
  • KaDooKan
    sorry to say but it's part of natural female nature, it will never be changed due to evolution and survival
    • Evolution says “survival of the fittest” it doesn’t say “survival of the tallest”. Preferences are subjective.

• KaDooKan

exactly survival of the fittest, women naturally desire protection for themselves when pregnant and their offspring... tall people give off this illusion regardless if they are strong or not. why do animals become tall, large, they stand up, their hair stands up in a way to make them look bigger... logic is your friend

• And how do you explain those women that prefer short men? Correction, those animals make themselves look bulkier not taller.

• SketchForger
    I don't really care because if someone has a legit problem with my height it would never work out anyways.

I don't rely on my physical attributes to determine who I want to be with.
  • PrettyRegular
    I'm tall and thank you. It's so great to hear that it's such an advantage.
    • Only in certain aspects, there are also advantages that short people have.

• I agree. It's not too bad to be short either.

• @PrettyRegular In reality there are also many disadvantages that tall people have as well.

• Unit1
    Yeah, i agree. I consider heightism to be of the same category of discrimination as ageism, sexism, nationalism, racism...

And that's a reason why i don't want to have any business with those... "humans".

Screw them all to South Africa.
  • VixenRach
    Nope, I'm not a heightist but it's funny to see that someone's actually made it a thing
  • UncleJessieRabbit
    If you want to discriminate against something or somebody, hell then, go on and discriminate. But if your going to do that, at least don't be all hypocritical or double-speak on it.

And online dating might have just made height (or income, job etc.) even more "important". Who should want to date or weed out based on those factors? It's a load of BS.
  • Curmudgeon
    I read your profile: "I'm part Japanese, part Hispanic."

In my past, I have had to explain this problem to Asian American peers seeking partners, who were dismayed that often the Asian American ladies went for White men. As I told them: "It's not the Whiteness; it is the HEIGHTness." Because it *was*.

I was a dorky, gawky, awkward, nerdy, but 6 foot 5 inch tall guy. And by gum, the first positive attention from women I *ever* received came from petite Asian American ladies.

I have matured some and since shed the "ugly duckling" image I had of myself, but I sure won't deny that for once in my life, my tallness was good for something more than banging my head on low chandeliers or ceilings.
    • NOTE: In general, the world's tallest people tend to be of either Northern European or East African descent. The only thing I can't think those two regions have in common is: Milk/dairy products, and cattle raising in general.

• can think, ugh typos

• RedRobin
    Nice take
  • ImSoSquishy
    wtf? i've never heard of "Heightism", where the hell are all these new "tisms" terms coming from?
    • The term “heightism” has been around for a while but it’s also known as “height discrimination”.

• somewheresomeway
    I’m 6ft but I’ve gotten beaten out by wise ass short guys before when it comes to girls.

But girls do mention this all the time. Especially on dating apps
    • Yes 9 out of 10 girls on that end up on dating apps fancy very tall more than tall , even tho it be only about 5 out of 10 in General. you also have about 3 out of ten want very small to small man , even if there a tall or very tall girl , but they never end up on dating sites

• Waffles731
    Whatever shorty
  • zagor
    Uh, every short guy who has dated knows this existed. And almost every girl.
    • Knowing it exists is one thing, acknowledging that it exists is another thing.

• Aynsof
    You say short me suffer from it the most
    I think it would be more accurate to say very short men and very tall some suffer from it the most
    Anyway for some height preferences is a big thing for some it is a minor thing for some it is not a thing at all
    Height is a thing that can't be changed so whatever people's preferences are you can't really do much about it anyway
    And if you are a short guy and some girls don't want you because you are short... are they girls you would want? Or a tall girl that guys don't want are they guys you want?
  • This just makes me feel even worse about being only 6’
  • I'm 5'2! No guy ever wanted me!
    • Are you serious or joking? That’s odd because most guys actually prefer short girls, since they consider tall girls too masculine.

• azzntittiz
    Tall men for me or no man at all.
  • LimitedBenefits
    nice mytake
  • Salmon4056
    Interesting
  • Haha i like it nice take
  • JamesDuncan
    AHAHAHA MANLET
  • RedThread
    I prefer tall women.