My criticism of psychiatric wards

Psychiatric wards have been around for ages and have been used to house the so called “afflicted”. These places go by many names such as “asylums”, “mental hospitals” and informally as “looney bins.” The history of these places is dark and disturbing, ever wonder why many horror movies take place in abandoned psychiatric hospitals? Well you’ll see later on in this take.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying every psych ward is full of corrupt and abusive staff, i’m sure there are some psych wards out there that legitimately care about their patients and don’t infringe on their patients’ Rights. But just because there are some good psych wards out there is no excuse to pretend there aren’t also abusive psych wards out there. I’m also not “anti psychiatry” I’m just critical of certain psychiatric practices.

another thing is that this isn’t a matter of political ideology, it doesn’t matter if you are conservative, liberal, libertarian, moderate, independent or something else. It is also not a matter of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, nationality or cultural identity. This is a matter of human rights. So no matter what you are, you can still voice your disapproval of how some psych wards mistreat their patients.

1.) Cruel practices of psychiatric wards in the 20th century: Among many of the things practiced in psych wards in the 20th century are unethical experimentations, torture, unjustly institutionalizing people and overall treating psych ward patients the same way a totalitarian regime treats political prisoners. Some specific examples of psych wards where such things happened are pennhurst, topeka state hospital, overbrook insane asylum, Eagerly Hills sanitorium, willowbrook state school and many others. Reading about the horrors that took place in such places explains why many of them were shut down.

2.) The unethical practices of psychiatric wards now in the 21st century: It’s rather naive and stubborn to assume that abuse no longer happens in these places. Some common arguments I hear from pro-psychiatric ward individuals are “that only happens in the movies.” “That doesn’t happen anymore.” or “the patients are there because they need help.” All of these arguments have holes in them which I’ll point out throughout the take. For now, here’s a brief list of the horrors committed under the guise of treating the mentally afflicted.

1.)Shock therapy: Perhaps one of the most notorious practices in psychiatric wards still practiced is administering involuntary shock therapy to their patients. It’s even worse considering they do it to minors as well.

Bzzzzzappp!
Bzzzzzappp!

2.) beatings and violent restraints: Perhaps the most obvious form of abuse is the orderlies roughing up the patients in their care. From delivering savage beatings, violently restraining them and frog marching them, along with other things. These are all practices that still go on today. Many orderlies are no different to prison guards.

Frog marching
Frog marching

3.) Sex abuse: There have been many documented cases of sex abuse in these places. Both male and females victims.

Violent restraining scene from unsane(2018)

4.) Misdiagnosis: One has to wonder how many people are wrongly detained in psychiatric wards based on misdiagnosis. It never ceases to amaze me how many ignorant people assume that any little unusual behavior or deviance shown by a person means that a person should be institutionalized. There are many people who live normal lives without institutionalized despite being social deviants or having a few mental disorders.

My criticism of psychiatric wards

5.) Uniformity and suppressing of identity: Some psychiatric wards also try to reduce each of their patients to being almost clone like. They force them to wear scrubs, act a certain way and do certain things.

“We are one, we obey.”
“We are one, we obey.”

6.)Cult like: Some psych wards act cultish, they try to convince people that something is wrong with them through brainwashing. They may even try to intimidate their patients into obeying their demands and try to convince their patients that they need “help”.

“Bryan loves you”(2008)
“Bryan loves you”(2008)

7.) Confinement: There are psychiatric wards that confine their patients as if they are prisoners rather than people that need help. The confinements can range from the notorious “padded cells” to a very small room.

My criticism of psychiatric wards

8.)Held against will: Pschiatric wards can still hold people against their will indefinitely if they are considered a “danger” to themselves or others. This right here is an outdated practice. Sounds like something out of the Soviet Union or East Germany.

Is there any difference between some psych wards and the former DDR’s hohenschonhausen prison?

9.) Neglect: The lack of care for the patients is another form of abuse. Not feeding the patients, not allowing them to shower, not allowing them to go outside etc.

My criticism of psychiatric wards

3.) What can be done to fix these issues: There are several reasonable and realistic things that can be done to fix these issues. It’s all a matter of public support, awareness and funding.

1.)Educate the masses on mental health: Unfortunately there are many people who know absolutely nothing about mental health, they assume that any little deviant behavior requires psychiatric treatment when that’s not the case. As I’ve mentioned above, deviance or mental disorders in a person don’t always require hospitalization.

My criticism of psychiatric wards

2.)Form a constable force that keeps psych ward staff on a short leash: I’ve written a take on this before, you can read it here. A good way of keeping psych ward staff members/orderlies on a short leash is by forming a constable force that specializes in disciplinary actions against abusive psych ward staff members.

The constables would be there to ensure the orderlies and shrinks don’t abuse their patients.

3.) Shut down all psych wards and give alternative supervision to the patients: Perhaps the simplest yet hardest change to instate is to shut down all psych wards and give the patients alternative supervision that doesn’t confine them to a psych ward. Patients could be allowed to go on with their lives while being supervised by three nurses.

How would you like to say auf wiedersehn to psychiatric wards.

4.)Reform all psychiatric wards: Aside from adding constables that keep the orderlies and shrinks in check. Adding rights like gyms, access to electronics, supervised access to the outside world, more spacious rooms with a nice view outside and allowing patients to wear their own clothes and have their personal belongings with them in their rooms.

My criticism of psychiatric wards

4.) The Citizens commission for human rights(CCHR): Is a organization that is often described as “anti psychiatric” because of it’s hostile attitude towards psychiatry. But perhaps the main reason why they have a negative reputation is because of their affiliation with Scientology. Regardless of their controversial affiliations, they are still a group that means well. Ironically one of the people that established the CCHR was a psychiatrist himself named Thomas Szasz who also founded the American Association for the abolition of involuntary hospitalization(AAAIMH) but was dissolved in 1980. The CCHR is still active today worldwide though.

Thomas Szasz
Thomas Szasz

It’s worth noting that not everyone who considers themselves supporters of the CCHR are “Scientologists”, nor consider all psychiatry as “evil”, some simply question certain psychiatric practices and want to ensure that psychiatric patients rights are protected. If anyone can end abusive practices in psychiatric hospitals it’s the CCHR and any other human rights organizations out there.

CCHR protest
CCHR protest

5.) Conclusion: Eveh though I’ve never been in a psych ward and don’t ever plan on being in one, quick research can show what goes on in some of those places. There is no doubt psychiatric wards have come a long way I’m not denying that but they are still far from perfect and still have a long way to go.

Sources:

https://listverse.com/2016/05/25/10-brutal-accounts-of-torture-in-old-insane-asylums/

https://www.toptenz.net/10-horrifying-mental-asylums.php

https://www.cchrint.org/2014/11/13/top-10-forms-of-psychiatric-institution-abuse/

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2365-i-was-psych-nurse-who-abused-patients-with-chokeholds.html

https://www.campussafetymagazine.com/hospital/9-arrested-abuse-psychiatric-patient/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry

https://www.cchr.org/about-us/mental-health-declaration-of-human-rights.html

My criticism of psychiatric wards
11
23

Most Helpful Girls

• gothgirl997
    This is an excellent MyTake and I agree with most of your points. Sadly, mental patients' rights are very easily violated. For example, the electric shock therapy is one of the most violent and brutal methods/"treatments" in the history of modern psychiatry and medicine along with lobotomy. (that fortunately doesn't exist anymore). It can cause severe damage and wipe out important parts of the patient's memory (there have been cases of bilingual patients that even forgot their second language after receiving ECT).
    Sadly most of the time patients are forced to receive etc without their permission

Most of the time, these violations remain unreported and are never known. I think that this has to do with the stigma attached to mental illness. Look at the answers here. Most people justify this abuse because they say that mental patients are dangerous.

That is just an overgeneralization. Sure, there are a few people that have killed others and are dangerous but what about patients with depression, autism etc?
    How is a patient going to be better with out socialization by just being confined to a bed? Even someone sane would develop a mental illness

The truth is psychiatric wards are way worse than prison. At last prisoners socialize with other prisoners, might exercises etc.
    It's the worst thing that can happen to a person. Unless you are rich and your family has enough money to pay the doctors and send you to the best clinic
    Is this still revelant?
    • gothgirl997

I don't know if there are some good psychiatric hospitals.. No one knows what happens behind closed doors..

• gothgirl997

www.cchr.org/.../...claration-of-human-rights.html

Do you think any of these rights are applied?

• Bullshit. I'm living proof it. My family was very rich. They still discarded me and disowned me. They gave me to the state after having me locked in a childrens mental ward... a locked ward... I was locked in there at 7. I remained in the system until I was 19.
      The 1 part where I agree, is that prison would have been a cakewalk compared to spending 2 and a half years locked in that living hell on earth.

• Reach500
    Thanks for this take! There does need to be accountability in psych wards since an already vulnerable population is being held there. I’ve always worried about abuse in those places because the patients are so vulnerable. I think people who have loved ones there have to visit them.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• CoffeeWC
    I was once a patient in one of these so called mental hospitals. It only made things worse. My mom submitted me in, and after a while in there, I couldn't even recognize her. It got to the point where I had to go to emergency room because of seizures caused by stress. I ended up staying the whole summer in the hospital. After I was released, things got much better. From my experience, mental hospitals do a lot more harm than good.
    Is this still revelant?
    • CoffeeWC

Thanks for mho

• lili123172

I agree with you. I know someone who was admitted to a psych ward and came out looking as if they wanted to end their life. Thank goodness, they did not do it

• TheAceholeSupreme666
    UCLA MEDICAL CENTER, Ward 6 West.
    Jan. 19, 1985-June 9, 1987.
    The things you posted, I lived it, and
    the reality is much worse.
    Being held down and injected with 2 weeks worth of whatever meds you refused to take, all in a single dose, seclusion rooms, and much more.
    Is this still revelant?
    • gothgirl997

Respect to all the victims and survivors of psych wards.

Patients with mental disorders have rights too. You have a right to be informed by your doctor about potential side effects of the treatment you will receive and refuse to take it, unless your condition is serious and can't make decisions about yourself. Seems asif these hospitals exist to punish or torture people rather than helping them

• @gothgirl997 Torture, literally. I was tortured in that place.

• @gothgirl997 20,000 watts passing between your temples is not fun. Being poked, prodded, brainscanned, electrodes, probed, and generally used as a human lab rat, such fun... I was surgically sterilized March 19, 1986 by UCLA. It's not reversable. I was 8, almost 9. I'm alone in life and never married because no woman wants to marry a man that can't give her children. The ramifications of what was done to me are still affecting my life now, and will until I die. I don't have a chance at happiness in life. I will have no legacy. I have no one to share with what I have and what I've learned. My family name dies with me, I don't have any brothers.
      So at 41, I have never been married, my longest relationship was 5 years. She cheayed on me and left me because her biological clock started ticking, and she wants to have a child. I had told her that she'd eventually cheat on me or leave me for another man who could get her pregnant. She swore it would ever happen. Well, it did happen. This is why all my relationships ended. This is why I never married. This is why I'm single at 41. This is why I will die alone, and all my things and what I knew is gone forever, and disposed of in the trash. This is why so many look down at me and call me a loser. It really hurts deeply because it isn't my fault. I didn't even know what they were doing when they woke me up the morning of March 19, 1986, at 4AM, strapped me down to a gurney, and rolled me to surgery. No warning. I wasn't even told until many years later what had been done that day. I just recall feeling like my soul was being ripped out of me. Then during post op, I got a uti. I dreaded having to pee, because it burned like white hot razor blades. The pain was excruciating. I had a friend on that ward. Ignacio. They killed him in front of me. Made me watch.
      It's never ending fun when you are never able to get out of the friend zone because of something done to me I had no say in, and no warning about. I have to live with it.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

921
  • ladsin
    Thanks for taking the time to share. I read your sources and the first two had to deal with institutions that were abusive and have been shut down for over 2 decades at least. The rest were indicative of isolated cases. My response is basically:
    1) Yes, in the past lots of abhorrent things happened and were common practice.
    2) Yes, there are some bad people in psychiatric facilities just like in any other field.
    I wrote a more full response here: My Experience Working In A Psychiatric Facility ↗ but I'll tackle a few of your points as well.
    1) Shock Therapy: etc is a pretty safe treatment method thanks to newer practices with anesthesia and lower voltage. That said it's almost never given without consent, and when it is there has to be a very good reason to do so. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24129535 is a good start.
    2) Violent restraints- Neglect: I talked about this in myTake, but I never saw these things happen. Quite to the contrary we tried our best to get patients to eat and shower who wouldn't do so. I had to help multiple people shower and bathe and use the bathroom who couldn't do so themselves.
    3) Educate the Masses and Educate patients of their rights: I'm a fan of both of these
    4) Shut down all facilities: The most idiotic thing I've heard of. The only other option is to send them all to prison and not help them with their psychiatric disorders.
    5) Police Staff: Why? You've already said that the police can be abusive too, you're just moving the problem up a level. Why make these police, police, staff and not just help out with caring for patients?
    • Glad somebody else here who has experience with mental patients agrees that shutting down mental hospitals would be a horrible idea. Most likely they would end up in prison with guards who would legitimately abuse them because prison guards are not always trained to deal with mentally ill inmates. Sending them to prison would make their lives worse, but letting them loose on society would be horrible for the masses. Some people do need to be locked up, and I'm glad that there are so many good facilities where I live that they have been able to help my family and friends who have had to stay in one for a while

• ladsin

@Idonthaveausername I have to admit that is one of the crazier beliefs I’ve heard lately, it doesn’t seem much different to me from arguing that we should shut down all prisons. My facility was for immediate care and evaluation. Most people didn’t stay there for more than a week (other than senior care unit which was long term), but most all of my patients were court ordered to be there for reasonable fear that they would harm themselves or others. I personally had to pull two patients out of makeshift nooses and stop several dozen patients from harming staff or other patients. It was a very intense work environment, it was also largely a thankless one, but it was very interesting and the few cases that were rewarding were extremely rewarding.

• So your facilities was to other facilities like jail is to prison? Makes sense. My sister said her "jail" one was pretty bad, but her "prison" one was great and they helped her a lot. They also helped my brother, but he doesn't talk about it as much. My mother has been in several for a few days, and my best friend has too. Whenever I've visited friends and family, they've always been very positive (except that my sister's friend tried to hang herself on her birthday), and we were even allowed to bring my sister's pet birds in for visitation

My grandmother told me about the work she did as a nurse in a mental hospital, so I can imagine some of the issues you've delt with. Just know that some of us do see and appreciate the work you do. I work in the healthcare field, but couldn't handle a job that stressful

• MlleCake
    There's a bit of naivete in this Take, but ultimately I don't disagree with you that these things do still go on.

You are misinformed about "shock therapy" though. Modern electroconvulsive therapy is effective in cases of treatment resistant depression. And it's given only as initiated by the patient.
    • ADFSDF1996

It’s not “Naivete”. There are many people who’ve came forward with their experiences in psych wards and what they’ve said matches everything on this article/take.

• MlleCake

That isn't what I am speaking of when I am referring to the naivete. It seems much of your judgement is based on "lore", which is not to say some of the lore isn't true. Much of it is. But the way you describe certain things simply demonstrates a lack of sophisticated experience with the issues. I don't ultimately disagree with you on much of what you've said. Some of it is just reliance on certain well-worn tropes about psychiatric care, and not much direct exposure to the state of psychiatric care in 2018.

• ADFSDF1996

If you know this stuff still happens to some people why are you acting as if it is inaccurate? What I mentioned on this take/article is based on the accounts of people who’ve came forward.

• Idonthaveausername
    I myself have never been detained in a psychward, but I have visited plenty of family members in them. For the most part, the problems you speak of are isolated cases. Serious abuse cases are due to the humans in charge being sick themselves and given too much power

One of the psychwards my sister went to was awful, but the one she spent 6 months in was basically a college dorm with locked doors and no privacy. The staff there were very amicable when the patients behaved well and treated suicide and escape attempts well

While I do see your intentions to be good with this Take and do agree with some of your ideas, I cannot stress how horrible it would be to either dissolve psychwards or prevent them from detaining dangerous mentally ill people. For the most part they do not take advantage of this policy and the use is critical for protecting the general population

Mentally ill people need to be detained for their own good and the safety of the general public

My mother is a paranoid schizophrenic who has told government officials that she wanted to kill my sisters and I when we were children (I've read court documents noting that). When they released my father from prison, she lost her shit (to put it bluntly). It was a good thing that health officials were allowed to detain her at that time due to her mental illness because her mental illness made her a danger to me and my sisters. The consequences would be dire if they abolished that law

Most people are not held in psychiatric facilities for mental breakdowns or psychotic episodes if they work with the doctors. My bipolar friend was sent to one after she passed out from alcohol consumption. They held her overnight and could have held her longer because she was not in a healthy state of mind, but let her go to work the next day because she was cooperative, took her medicine, and has a good history of not being a problem for them. She has also tried the electric shock therapy because she's tried so many medications that haven't worked. It is extremely hard to find someone to administer electric shock therapy because most facilities don't offer it and most doctors no longer reccomend it, especially since it has so many negative side effects

So while I do agree it is bad to abuse mental patients, the vast majority do need to be in mental facilities and it would be a horrible mistake to let people go if they exhibit signs of being dangerous to themselves or others
    • ADFSDF1996

I still think that the people who run those places need to be kept on a short leash, they can’t be trusted with mentally ill people in their care. I think the problem is that many of these so called “orderlies” and mental health “experts” are not mentally fit for the job and thus are susceptible to a phenomenon known as the “Lucifer effect” which they fail to take into account.

Aside from adding watchdogs to keep the staff members to in check, the rights of the patients should be strongly protected. The patients should also be granted larger rooms that offer nice views to the outside.

• I get what you're saying, but it's not practical or easily put into practice. The more you monitor people, the more they hate their jobs and feel controlled. They'll only resent the patients more and find worse ways to get around it. Putting them on a short leash makes the good ones feel like they're doing something wrong even though most of them aren't

They can't just structurally change the buildings to be larger or have a view. Yes those are some uncomfortable living conditions, but they aren't as bad as you're making them sound. I visited my sister in her long-stay psychward. The rooms were a decent size, big enough for two twin beds and storage. It was a great facility and they helped her a lot

Saying that things need to change when you haven't witnessed it first-hand doesn't account for much. These things that you're talking about are isolated cases and do not reflect the norm. Most psychiatric facilities have good doctors, good staff, and policies against abusing patients

They're not sanitariums anymore. They're already on a short enough leash as is and shortening it even more would make their jobs more difficult

• ADFSDF1996

As harsh as this may sound, I don’t really have sympathy for psychiatric ward staff members, they are there because they chose that job without taking into account that they may not be mentally fit for the job. If they can’t fulfill their roles as nurses (orderlies) or security guards then they should look for another job. A short leash in the form of having them monitored would definitely prevent them from abusing their power. It would discourage abusive people from becoming psychiatric ward staff members. It may sound totalitarian but that’s what it’s come to. If there is a way to end abuse in psych wards then heavily monitoring the staff is the way. The hypothetical Utopian precaution to end mistreatment in mental institutions/asylums ↗

Sure not all psychiatric staff members are bad but we can’t just look the other way in regards to the abusive ones. The main problem is that the rights of the patients aren’t enforced and that’s because of how society views the mentally ill as expendable.

Keep in mind not all psych wards are run the same way. Some are run better than others, my guess is the psych ward where you busted is one of the few that are up to date. However, there are many others that have room for improvement, My aunt’s friend visited one psych ward where she witnessed a orderly smacking a patient around about a year ago. And there are many former patients from all over, who’ve came forward with their stories of how they were mistreated.

These are signs that psych wards still need more change. By the way, was your sister at least allowed to bring her personal belongings and wear her own clothes?

• Lilyanony
    I didn't read this all not because I don't care but I had a thought. Have you considered that in some cases some of the people that work in health care and specifically mental health care, can end up developing mental illnesses themselves. I'm not excusing abusive behavior but let's look at this. How many of the people working there are given mental health checks? Are freely able to talk about struggling to cope? How often are you able to have a bad day and given lighter duties? The job isn't set up like that, that's why you have to have a strong emotional stability. Some people are able to cope, and unfortunately some of those people end up going into the job because they don't care, need to assert power over those that are weaker than themselves. If we took more consideration for the staff themselves maybe the staff would perform better. This jobs are mentally and physically draining and the burn out can be immense, add that to other life's stresses and you're really at your wits end. They say more money but they actually need more support, to help them find healthier outlets, but people spend and do not so healthy things to cope, -excessive sleeping is one of them
    • ADFSDF1996

The orderlies in psych wards that are abusive are not mentally strong enough for the job and thus fall victim to something known as the “Lucifer effect”. Look at the “Stanford prison experiment” for reference.

The abusive staff members do not deserve any sympathy at all, nobody forced them to work in such an environment. They chose the job themselves knowing that they have short tempers and are impatient. If they have the need to beat people up, then they should train and take part in MMA competitions instead of stroking their own ego at the expense of helpless patients.

• Randomawkwardness
    I mean you really do mean the best but some of those people in there have killed people because they thought they were trying to kill them first, I met someone who thought there was someone dead in their car and the police were called and it was empty. You can't just give them 1 or 2 nurses and expect them to be fine, some need close supervision and are an actual hazard to public safety.
    • ADFSDF1996

Those people are a few extreme cases, it doesn’t mean they can’t be fixed under the right supervision that doesn’t infringe on their rights. Hypothetically it wouldn’t just be 3 three random nurses supervising them, the nurses would also have sedatives and tranquilizers just in case they need them.

But of course shutting down psych wards would be a hard task. Instead a constable force needs to be formed that keeps all the orderlies and shrinks in check. Plus reforming all psych wards in a way that makes them more humane.

• shaunx1
    Some of these things including isolation and being held against your will are 100% good things that I'll always support. Mainly the being held against your will part. That's a good thing if you're actually diagnosed correctly with something.
    • shaunx1

As for scrubs and all that, most physch wards I know are in hospitals and that's kinda just what all patients wear. And there are some very very good reasons for why someone with a disorder should be forced to wear scrubs and not their own clothing.

• ADFSDF1996

So you support unethical treatment? I see you are only 15, so I can understand why you’d think that. Do more research on psychiatric wards and you’ll understand why those are not good things. And no people don’t always wear scrubs in hospitals.

• AmberRose82

The problem is that unless you are going to blow shit up and massacre people, self-harm or even wishing you could get rid of pain does not merit holding an adult against his will. The former are in most situations premeditated crimes, the latter a personal choice that affects only the person involved unless they deliberately make a spectacle of themselves. Probably the most poignant point of this article is the misdiagnosis part. I'm a living example of that. They misdiagnosed me at least three times, from psychosis, to paranoia, to anorexia, to bipolar, to manic and now down to mild depression. I've been through at least six different meds including injections that consisted of benadryl and some other substances that they give patients with anxiety disorders and paranoid/psychotic and schizophrenic episodes. I'm now down to a small dose of antidepressants. There is nothing dangerous or unusual about me yet I have been to five different psych wards. What I have learned is that you will be institutionalized if they perceive you as someone who doesn't conform or uphold the status quo and that is the true danger in our society.

• Coastalchic
    I’m by no means an expert, but from what I can gather I have wondered about some of the issues you mentioned as they’re working with extremely vulnerable people. I've also previously come across research that suggested even mentally healthy people have felt misunderstood and treated in an undignified manner by mental health professionals. It’s a fine line and does need very careful management from those in mental health professions if they’re to do their work well.
  • crazy8000
    The shutdown part have it's backsides you probably aren't aware of. but it is necessary for a short time to rebuild something that works to get rid of old ways and habits that is a mental role some people jump into when they take on the role of their job that is very common behavior within law enforcement.

I live in a country there you have had that you are after.
    Have seen the backsid. It had to happen that some mental person that didn't get treatment that wanted did kill a politician that was a part of those that was some sort of minister in government.
    A lot of those that needed 24/7 supervision didn't get any.
    Inorsent people did get harassed even abused.

If we shall look at where the psychiatric ward is completed to health ward in a view of human age.

Health ward is about 35 years old.
    Psychiatric ward is about 5 years old.

Both is to much focused on profits, to much on fastest response, not for the best care we can give in the long run.
    To much miss fitted people that shouldn't work there.
  • AmberRose82
    Your strongest point is the misdiagnosis part. The rest is a little too Hollywood. The real problem is really the disconnect between doctors and patients. The social status difference is vast and you have little dignity or credibility once you are in a facility like that. Female sexual safety and privacy is zero. Men have access to women 24/7 and you have virtually no power because they don't see you as someone who's views are valid or even has the ability to act in their own interest. Anything you say will be held against you and their main concern is to medicate you, keep you under control and quiet at all times. If you so much as talk back they will give you tranquilizers, restraints or solitary confinement. They are not interested in improving your health but getting rid of the inconvenience that you momentarily present to them. Oftentimes you will not be given your clothes or other personal items for extended periods of time or are even discouraged or kept from making phone calls to loved ones. Other impatients will fight you over closet space, clothes, food items or other perks such as who gets to watch which channel on TV or sit next to whom. Let alone the anxiety that comes with being bunked with someone crazier than yourself.
    • ADFSDF1996

Glad to see another person come forward with their experiences. The more people come forward, the more likely things can improve in psych wards.

But keep in mind that each psych ward is different. You say the rest is “too Hollywood” but if you look into the accounts of other people who’ve came forward with their experiences, you’ll see they suffered a lot of what I mentioned in this take/article including other things that are too disturbing to be mentioned here.

• ADFSDF1996

Have a look. www.campussafetymagazine.com/.../

It’s sickening that stuff like this still happens.

• chameleon3081
    Completely agree with your take, in the past they were cruel places. They are better now, but the truth remains mental health issues are still the most difficult to diagnose properly, and treat with respect. We still have far to go, but I am sure in time we will learn from our mistakes, and improve things for all.
    • shaunx1

To be fair tho, get mentally diagnosed is basically based on what the doctor thinks and it's based off guidelines but mainly opinion.

• shaunx1

Getting*

• MarketData
    How much time have you spent on an actual psych ward? As a patient or a staff member? Oh right, none. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
    • ADFSDF1996

@Marketdata Neither do you, so don’t bother commenting if you have nothing to add except snide remarks.

• MarketData

Still talking through the back of your neck. You don't know me.

• ADFSDF1996

You don’t know me either, all you do on this website is made snide remarks against random people. What else is new?

• Phanta
    Excellent article, thank you. I myself have a 6,000 word dissertation exposing the psyche community. It is chapter XIX (19) in/on my book/website: www.thezap.net
  • alvincasey
    One thing they should do is come up with better medications. I'd heard about patients that stop taking their medication. For schizophrenia, the medications are terrible. They do work but they make the patient gain weight and feel lousy.
    I know a guy with schizophrenia and he has several medications he was taking. He stopped taking them, and he's lost a lot of weight and he seems like he feels better, however now he's crazier than ever.
    • AmberRose82

That would be great to but the longer the more my experience has been that what people need is actual counseling and human interaction. Meds are only bandaids. They do not solve the underlying problem.

• alvincasey

For the schizophrenic, they have counselors and social workers. Sometimes they could participate in counseling, other days they are impossible to interact with. They can't seem to control it. They do need doctors. Medications do help them, even to the point of being stable enough to lead a regular life on their own but as soon as they stop taking the meds, it won't be long before the chaos. If the meds didn't have such miserable side effects, the desire to not take them would diminish.

• I was roommates with a Frog Kid, you ever been roommates with a Frog Kid? Back when I was sent to the nitwit school science was real crude. Every room had a drain in the middle so they could hose us down. Eventually I was found to officially not have donkey brains.
  • Have you ever heard of Willowbrook from the 1940s-1980s
    • ADFSDF1996

Yes, I heard it was overpopulated.

• and abusive. Read about the experiment from 1958-1971

• 0112358
    I’d like to see continued reform on this area.

I will note that shutting all down entirely isn’t possible given some aren’t just “sort of like” prisons. They effectively are.

One near me has a population of individuals who were found not criminally responsible for killings etc. Some are doing better under medication. Some literally cannot be left unrestrained with anyone else or they immediately attempt to kill them. I’m not exaggerating. in the decade and a half I’ve lived nearby I think two patients have been killed by other patients (which is another problem requiring oversight!)
    • ADFSDF1996

Those are few exceptions, it doesn’t mean all psych ward patients should be treated as criminals.

• lili123172
    This article brings up good points. As a mental health advocate, I started a mental health blog with a friend called schizofriendian (https://bit. ly/2GL76ai). This site is dedicated to individuals going through schizophrenia and we are fighting to end the stigma surrounding mental health and this disease. Let us know what you think of our blog and feedbacks are welcome!
  • Aynsof
    It is truly sad how many people who are ill are treated and how many are fine with that treatment because they are just defective and their illness at times have caused people harm...
  • AngryNoctis
    I had a buddy that was in a psych ward he said he loved it
    • ADFSDF1996

He must have been in one of the few “humane” ones.

• Giggletr0n
    It's CRAZY right, they run those places like a MADHOUSE! The people that work there must be NUTS to keep on putting themselves in those LUNATIC situations; LOSING YOUR MIND is just part of the job I guess - BATSHIT CRAZY if you think about it.
  • ObscuredBeyond
    Point 2.6 happens everywhere now. It's not exclusive to mental institutions. The NPC meme's rapid rise in popularity testifies to that.
  • isweatergawd
    I always tell people i choose jail over asylum. Reason why, i rather know i got raped instead of wondering why my butt or penis is sore. This very cult like and there are more places other than asylum that do this
  • BellumEtPacem
    What alternative to supervision do you have in mind? Besides that when was the last time you heard of a lobotomy being performed in the U. S in the last decade?
    • ADFSDF1996

The alternative supervision is mentioned above, in the form of three nurses with sedatives and tranquilizers closely supervising the patient’s everyday activities.

Lobotomies may not happen anymore but beatings and forced conformity still happen in psych wards.

• Do the nurses get protection of any kind?

• ADFSDF1996

Hypothetically they would get body armor.

• Dchrls78104
    Interesting take.
    Send some of the politicians there (oh, they need it), let them see what goes on in these facilities for themselves!
  • Jackpot1977
    Yea they suck and the people are mistreated but some people need to be there
    • ADFSDF1996

@Jackpot1977 Joseph Mengele bootlegs have no place in the 21st century.

• MrBurke
    I thought they already had closed down all the psych wards perhaps I've been watching to many Urban Exploration videos
  • Secretgardenblood
    Good take
  • dontgofalling
    Very true, I totally agree with you 👍
  • Vicioussilencer
    Umm..
  • BonnieBunny
    That sucks