Are traditional gender roles good for society?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|3

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes.
    A good society understands that not everybody is the same, and that that's a GOOD thing. We all have different talents, shortcomings, genetics, whatever, but those things aren't a BAD thing. It's not a coincidence that EVERY civilization in human history had men as hunters/soldiers and women as nurses/mothers. Gender roles exist not because we make them exist, but because each sex was biologically designed to do certain jobs. 50 million years of evolution created gender roles, society didn't, society was based ON what humanity's strengths were.

2|1
    0|0
  • I think they could be depending on how they manifest themselves and how extreme they are. I think men and women being different has to do more with biology than anything else, and this difference has allowed the flourishing of society in my opinion. You have women who dominate the health care field more than men because of women’s natural caring ability for others, and you have men dominate things like engineering and law enforcement for the more logical and less emotional aspects of men’s biology. You’ll see women and men gravitate towards what they like based on their innate biology and psychology and rarely anything else. The reason why you don’t see a majority of women wanting to go into law enforcement or firefighting, is the same reason why you don’t see a lot of men wanting to become nurses. It’s the biological and psychological differences that govern what interests men and women

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 107

• It gives people direction towards what to do. It helps to organize society. Some people have no idea what to do, and gender roles help assign certain people to do certain things.

6|7
    1|1
  • Of course - they're good for everybody. I can't figure out why this generation is so rebellious about their sexuality. Take joy in your role. You'll get more out of life.

2|7
    1|0
    • Seriously though!! I’m just tired of hearing people say that girls and guys are the same and equal. We are different and we should embrace that.

• @Natalie11299 - Absolutely!! And so refreshing to hear.

Men and women are simply not the same. Sure, they're both human beings, but the sexes are very different in how they act, react, percieve things, process information, and make decisions. The have different emotional connections to each other, to sex, to commitment, and what their relationships mean to them.

Mark Gungor, a couples therapist and seminar presenter, does a pretty good job of breaking down communication differences, you can google his name for more content, but here's a pretty good vid:

https://youtu.be/0BxckAMaTDc

• Frankly they were better than the train wreck we are currently experiencing, however i believe what we have right now is a necessary growing pain towards something better later on, we just happen to be living through an awkward period of change.

0|2
    0|0
  • Statistically speaking? Yes, all data we have heavily leans towards that conclusion. Men are happier, women are happier, children fair better and are happier. Kind of explains why its the tradition to be honest (and how it developed in every single major and minor civilization in the world).

1|0
    2|0
  • Yes. Because that's when families were most stable. Because of single parenting now, we have "dysfunctional families." And that's been a total disaster.

1|4
    0|1
  • Nah. Both genders working, producing, that's good for society.

7|1
    0|0
  • feminism's influence on full display here... good to see most men are waking up and about a 3rd of women... they are arguably just the ones who survived all along lol their families stayed smart, women are not really waking up to this in any significant numbers that I can see

0|1
    0|0
  • To an extent. Girls should sound, dress, and act feminine and guys should sound, dress, and act masculine. But things like paying for meals when we both work and have the same potential to earn, and the woman being the one to be in the kitchen are outdated. Equal rights should mean equality in a relationship as well. If you're a responsible adult you should be able to pay your own meal and know how to cook as it's a life skill.

1|1
    2|1
  • Especially during times where children are being born and early childhood to the start of school. My wife worked before kids and returned when the last one went to pre-kindergarten. I think it is crucially important to the development of small children for mommy (or daddy acting as mommy) to be around up until about 3-4 years of age.

0|0
    0|0
  • Traditional gender roles have utility, yes. However, authoritarian legal enforcement of traditional gender roles is ethically wrong, as is authoritarian legal enforcement of anything except compulsion not to murder or steal.

1|1
    1|0
  • I think when we were a more agrarian society, and even more before that, as hunter gatherers, it was helpful and perhaps even absolutely necessary for survival.

I think we have evolved socially beyond that point, but some of this behavior was also selected for by evolution.

It is a complex knot to untangle.

0|2
    0|2
  • I see nothing wrong with a family where the woman stays at home and the man brings home the "bacon". I also see nothing wrong with a woman who wants kids and doesn't wanna abort them like they're disposable. I think Feminism has really changed women and not for the better. I think a lot of guys would agree, seen as the marriage rates are down.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes. With modern gender roles, nobody has any fricken kids.

Also, women's happiness has continued to go down over time, so it's not like entering the workforce is the epitome of life.

1|1
    2|0
  • Absolutely. A man should have his role of a man in providing structural, protection, guidance and discipline.

A woman should be raising and loving her children and running house matters to make sure everything is in order and right.

1|0
    2|0
  • I don't think we should FORCE people to behave according to gender norms, but we shouldn't get rid of them either, and definitely not shame women who want to be house wives or men who are dominant and want a woman who is more kind and gentle than confident.

0|1
    1|0
  • I say you play the role you're gifted at. If the woman is incredible and flourishing in the corporate world, but the man is good at keeping the home together, would you mess that up? I wouldn't. I say play to your strengths

2|0
    0|0
  • It's not really about traditional or not traditional. The new way of looking at gender came about because of changes to our understanding of gender. What's important is recognising that everyone is an individual and has their own unique set of qualities, and being able to form a society that does not discriminate on any aspect.

1|0
    0|1
  • Gender equality is a must of course, but there will always be things like chivalry and manners. How to "treat" a girl, even though you wish to be treated equally. So of course, you don't want to be treated equally, you want to be treated as women with the same benefits guy have.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not directly, however the modern progressive concept of gender equality has had the unforeseen consequence of men abandoning their families in droves in the past few decades, as never before in the history of any society. Men are no better providers than women and women don't need a man. Bailing on your wife and kids can hardly be considered shirking responsibility if you're constantly being told that you're an unnecessary, disposable part of your own family.

0|0
    0|0
    • Okay, but i doubt men that abandon their family have left because theyve been told theyre useless

• Show All
    • Have you only heard of gender equality from being indoctrinated by your mother? I personally see feminist messages throughout mass media, on the news, and from every business that doesn't want to get sued.

• thats only because theyve recently been able to reach out like that. one hundred years ago women werent allowed to even vote. There are feminists who take it to extremes, but they shouldn't be equated as the whole movement.

• You shouldn't EXPECT people to do things just because they're of a certain gender. That would be wrong

2|1
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 39

• They're only good for the people who happen to fit into them, and the majority really doesn't fit traditional gender roles to a T anymore. People deserve to be free and choose what they want to do with their life. To try to force everyone to fit into the same mold is crazy, because we're all different and we should be free to express our differences.

8|1
    2|5
    • I swear, people aare so much more closed minded than I thought! This really makes me not give a f*** about other's opinions

• Show All
    • @GothAncap haha I was scared for a second that you meant me and my opinion. I don’t worry too much about the downvoters because I know that if anyone tried to force them to be something they’re not, they would be the loudest whiners of all. They’re usually just a bunch of assholes who are more concerned about their own narrow-minded opinions rather than the rights of others.

• Exactly! It's so obvious to anyone who believes in rights that these people don't care about anyone but themselves. I knew these people existed, but not in these amounts! It's so high because people are less empathetic than ever (as a group). Studies have even shown that

• Most people don't realize that what they personally think of as
    traditional gender roles" have never been the ONLY tradition. Most of them are talking about a set of traditions that were only in place for about 15 years, and never for everyone.

Enforcing one set of gender roles as ideal, and even mandatory, has never been good for all of society. There is no reason to think it will start being good in the future.

3|2
    4|7
    • gender roles are imposed on is by nature. since forever.

• Show All
    • That's never how all people lived. Societies have had differing gender roles throughout history. You don't know your history, anthropology or biology.

• #Mikecake

I appreciate your answer 🙂

• Gender isn't about what's between your legs or not, it's about how you feel about yourself. That can be a range rather than just one way or another. It's about time we as a society drop our paradigms and perceptions of how things should be based on outdated beliefs, dogma, and paradigms and start allowing how things are. Nature even has sequential hermaphrodites that start as a male and end up a female as they progress through life such as a Baramundi fish (Quite tasty by the way) en.wikipedia.org/.../Barramundi#Life_cycle
    Limiting women's or men's roles in jobs, house etc only reduces the opportunities for both to contribute to a productive and prosperous society, family unit, individual... Limiting the free expression of gender regardless of what is between the legs limits living life to it's fullest.
    Screw gender roles and patriarchal society. Just my opinion. I know most will feel threatened by it just like whenever a societal norm is broken. Oh well.

3|1
    1|6
  • YES! ... very much so, but so are nontraditional gender roles :)

5|0
    2|7
  • The funny thing is the majority of men voting yes are only thinking of roles for the opposite sex or gender benders or whatever they call them.

If you frame the question differently to is the traditional gender model for what it means to be masculine many may feel differently.

They don’t want to be seen as less than for having muscles, they don’t like the idea of having to be the provider. But then heaven forbid the woman step up and make more than him. He likes that resentment.

2|0
    0|0
  • No bc it encourages idiocy in certain areas. People avoid learning subjects that are not masculine or feminine depending on what sex they are it’s absurd and dangerous.

4|1
    1|1
  • No, they are outdated and sexist!!! We are in the 21st Century let's get with the times!!!

5|3
    3|4
  • If traditional is that man works and then comes home, gets the food that his wife cooked after coming home from work, picking up kids and cleaning the house, it is not so good. Both should just do their best to make family life work. N if the families are good, the whole society is good

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it honestly depends on what the situation is and whether they're fine playing that role just as long as your not assuming because to me I get mad when someone asks me to do something rather than my brother because it would make more sense gender wise. Make sure you ask and not assume or order around.

1|0
    0|0
  • Traditional roles makes things stagnant and stale. Plus, not every person fits the roles assigned to them. Let people do what they want and figure that out for themselves as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

3|1
    1|0
  • It's better for the kids to have a parent home to help them and supervise them. I'm still all for who ever is home staying home to get a job or get an education with their free time. But the number one job is to raise your kids. I think that's the best job myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Gender roles? Ew. Keep that. I provide for myself, I am my own rock. I should have a man that is my rock and provides for me? No thank you. I am strong for myself. So are loads of other women, and men.

3|1
    0|0
    • I admire that! These people (both men and women) trying to pull you down are weak! Don't take this rhe wrong way, but I'm my own rock, too and you (despite being in the minority of this thread), gave me hope. Thank you

• It depends on what you define as society. I feel individuality is only okay for everyone in a society that encourages a *lack* if roles for people based on biological traits they can’t control.

If you want a society more focused on the communal aspect, as it stands, roles work better.

0|0
    0|0
  • For society? Absolutely not. If they’re actually enforced.
    For for individual couples who actually want to live their lives that way... why not.

2|1
    0|0
  • Yes because, and hear me out here, they kind of mimic what we are naturally made for anyway. No that does not mean that the woman should always be in the kitchen and do all of the child rearing, or that the man should only work on cars or watch sports or stuff like that. Only that those roles were there for a reason and cknlletwly getting rid of them wouldn't really help anyone

0|0
    1|0
  • They have served us for over 200 years and I'm sure they can serve us another 200 years if we even make it that far.

1|0
    1|0
  • I think the problem with labels and narrow minded societal roles is that it marginalises people who don't really fit into them. Notice that most women say no to this, because most of us don't exactly grow up wanting to be always prim and 'ladylike' wanting nothing but to be subservient. I grew up wanting to play with dinosaurs and computers when I was expected to be playing with barbies and dresses. When I wanted what I thought was fun, I'd had to take them from my brother. Isn't it sad we put such pointless things into gender roles? I mean how are gender roles good when all it does is limit people?
    Look at suicide statistics. Men are committing suicide and are having major issues with lack of emotional support. Doesn't it make sense that men have it worse with mental health because masculinity and male gender roles pressure men to keep things inside, and to be strong?
    Who exactly does gender roles help?

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they come in handy when applicable, like if wifey is injured and is out of work, but takes up a housewife role.

Gender roling didn't become a thing until American culture lol

Housework was WORK. A wife was literally an agriculturist, construction worker, in home nurse, caregiver, fashion designer, chef, lumber jack, weaver, etc but at the same time.

The husband was usually on the verge of horrific death at his heavy labor job miles away.

This system was developed to make a male human and female human live advantegeously against survival odds using the dimorphic strengths of each gender.

Modern times, survivability is not as prevalent as before, which is why the gender roles of the new age focus on increasing the economic aptitude as a family unit.

We dont need any farm hands or a dude lifting heavy ass stones, but we do need high earning power and urban efficiency skills.

Children are actually more responsible for housework now lol

1|0
    0|2
    • Wel farmers need farm hands.. I’ve been one 🙂

• You are right though, this housewife stuff was respected as work before the industrial revolution and women got relegated to indoors and title of nurse mAid and help mate.

• No absolutely not. i refer to sit at home all day cleaning, changing diapers, catering to a guy that has two arms and legs like a slave.

2|1
    0|1
    • *I prefer not to

• Show All
    • Because all women are hard workers. That's what you come across as.

• I'm a hardworker. i can't speak for the rest. i know some lazy ones that prefer to have a thousand kids and watch dance moms all day. i dont see how they do it

• More from Girls

Recommended myTakes