"Hey, Underoos!" Why Tom Holland is the Best Spiderman Yet

Anonymous

I must admit when I heard Spiderman was going to appear in Captain America: Civil War, I was super excited about it. Then I heard there was going to be a new actor playing spiderman and it would be Tom Holland. I knew who he was from The Impossible, but thought "As Spiderman?" But after seeing Both Civil war and Homecoming, I have decided he is the best actor for the job.

Short Spidey Background.

The Comic Book version of Peter Parker was painfully shy until he was bitten by the spider. He then was more confident, but only under the mask, making sarcastic remarks, and being playfully lighthearted in fights and arguments. He was also like that in the 1960s cartoon version that was popular then. Also, he was 15 when he was bitten (not 17/18 like in the other films). Remember these traits as you read.

The other Spidermen (Toby and Andrew)

While there were other older spiderman films I'm sure, I will only be talking about the Actors that played spiderman from 2002 and beyond. Toby Mcguire was the first Spiderman, and was in the best movie, yes the first spiderman was THE best spiderman movie to this day, but that does not make him the best, or even a good Spiderman. I'm going to be hated so much, but I don't care; I did not like Toby Mcguire as Spiderman and didn't really even like him as Peter Parker. As mentioned before, Peter was painfully shy which Toby portrayed well, but he was also whiney, very clingy, and obsessed with MJ (Who didn't deserve his love because she just dated other guys throughout the movies). As Spiderman, he was not as Sarcastic and lighthearted as he was supposed to be, and frankly, I just think Toby Mcguire is not a very good actor. Then we get to Andrew Garfield. He played a much better Spiderman, being sarcastic and very funny. I liked him better than Toby, but his Peter Parker was too Confident, not shy or nerdy enough to be Peter. I don't have as much to say about him because he was close, but still not there. also, he is a much better actor than Toby, In my opinion. I really don't understand why people hate him so much, I thought he did a good job.

Tom Holland as the Young Spiderman

I had said earlier that I was skeptical about Tom taking on the role of the famous web-slinger, one because he was the 3rd "try" in a little over ten years. Second, because he was not really in any movies I could gauge his acting off of except one. But I must say he hit the nail on the head. He's definitely the youngest actor(19/20) and the youngest portrayal being only 15. That's another thing, he really did look the part because of his baby face making him look 15, but he was cut making it look like he had superhuman strength like Spiderman. He acted young and was a smart aleck like in the comics( I'm a huge fan of that trait if you guys couldn't tell :). They couldn't really make Toby or Andrew 15 because of their ages in real life, but I'm glad to see a younger hero as a nice change. Anyway, as Peter, Tom was very intelligent and nerdy, also very shy, awkward and clumsy. But for real, Tom is an amazing actor, he makes every character as if he is the character and that those things are actually happening to him. Most actors can act like that, but can't always make people believe them. If you don't trust me, watch the Impossible, he was amazing.

Final thoughts

Sometimes a great actor can make a bad or just ok movie into something special, and I think that's why I liked Homecoming so much, Tom Holland made it good. I know a lot of people will be telling me that Toby was the best because he was the first, or "Original". Everyone has their own opinion, but I do want to point out that he was the least like the real original Spiderman. Remeber when I said that the first was the best, well it was in my opinion, probably because I grew up with that movie. It was one the first movies I ever watched and I don't remember a time where I don't remember this movie, and I think that's why a lot of people like Toby the best. They grew up with him, he was in 3 spiderman movies (although I really try hard to forget that last one...) and he was first, that is one thing no one can take away from him; he set the standards for the movie Spiderman. But remember first does not always mean the best just means it's special because it's first. Also, I think this new kid deserves more credit, it was hard for him to be the 3rd Spiderman and not only that but he had to make people like him since he will be showing up in the Avenger's movies and other things. I think he's great and hopes he continues to kill it with these movies!

But what are your thoughts? I would love to hear them in the comments!

10
10

Most Helpful Girl

• DinaM
    100% agreement!

I really, really, REALLY did not like Tobey Maguire. He was just... when he played up the "shy, awkward nerd" part, he was okay, but when he tried to do ANYTHING else he was terrible. I was all "You're fucking SPIDER-MAN! Say something funny! Point out the absurdities in things around you! And for fuck's sake, STOP pretending you have any kind of chemistry with Kirsten Dunst!"
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• LegateLanius
    I loved Spiderman Homecoming more than the other films, not only did Tom Holland play a great Spider-Man, Adrian Toomes/ The Vulture was a really relatable villain more so than the other ones, he was a family man that adapted to an adverse situation. I also really enjoyed Marisa Tomei as Aunt May. I can't wait to see the next movie.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Agreed, I really loved Michael Keaton in this movie, one of my favorite actors.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

99
  • liarenae
    I think its tied between him and Tobey. Tobey was so good at capturing awkwardness which brought in some humor and was great at expressing emotions while Holland is fun, looks the proper age for high school.

Tobey was painfully shy like how the comic book Spiderman was until he was bit. Tobey was able to maintain his awkward personality while being confident and this is very evident in the first and third movie. Holland seemed to be a certain amount of confident from the jump.
  • serious
    Tobey Maguire is the best ( according to me). In fact Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies were the best, nothing can match the class of those movies.

This is just my opinion.
  • lovelyhoneybones
    How about no. He's cool and all, but not the best. Tobey will forever be the best, Tom can be second.
  • pepwave21
    Tom is just perfect I think. The other two are also great too. Tom just has the humor down and seems more relaxed and looks like he is having fun.
  • pervertedjester
    Andrew was the better of the three in my opinion. I wish we could've seen Spiderman grow up a little bit into 20's so we could drop all the teen drama and get to the good stuff.
  • soccerchick4eva
    I enjoyed the movies because of the jokes that were included with his character haha
  • DiegoO
    In capturing the Spiderman of the comic books Tom did a great work, in giving Spiderman a real world vibe, Tobey still stands out with that.
  • JDavid25
    I agree.. He is the best Spider-man.. Tobey was good, good Peter Parker and Spider-man to me.. But, they barely made him a science nerd.. They skimmed just enough for us to know he smart, but they didn't go deeper into it.. They also made him a little too serious, and not quick-witted enough.. With Andrew it was the complete opposite.. Dude wasn't awkward at all.. He was more like one of those cool dudes in the background who people sometimes pick on.. They showed more of the science nerd in him than Tobey, but with Tobey it felt more natural.. His Spider-man was a bit too cocky sometimes.. So yeah Tom does have a nailed.. He's not super awkward, and dorky like Tobey, but not a smooth dude posin as an awkward nerd like Andrew..
  • ryancg
    I agree, but this whole thing could've been summed up by just saying Tom Holland's Spider-Man is more faithful to the comics, therefore, is the best.
  • Rissyanne
    This guy is ok... but I prefer Toby McGuire.
  • spiderweirdo
    Toby will always be my spideyboy ❤✨🌻
  • didigo182
    Tobey Maguire >>>> All.
  • I prefer Peter Parker
  • Anonymous
    holland is ok but nothing will be as great as tobey maguire
  • Anonymous
    I think Tom is Better than Andrew but I sitll like Toby as spiderman the best.

Though overall I loved Spiderman Homecoming and though Tom was a good spiderman. Also I thought casting him for the reboot to get spiderman into the MCU was a good choice.
  • Anonymous
    He is ok.
  • Anonymous
    I kind of feel like Tom wasn't nerdy enough
  • Anonymous
    I won't watch any of the Spiderman movies the make until they stop that gay ass 'I use a device on my wrist with a web serum' bullshit for his webbing. Spiderman shoots web from his Wrist, not an attatchment. That is such bullshit to separate them & make it so that he's without his webbing when underwater or when unprepared in general. Fuck the new movies
    • Anonymous

In the very first spiderman comics, and the two other reboots he made the webbing himself. I don't know why they made him automatically have that in the first series, but they did and it was wrong. Also, that's a stupid reason not to watch the other movies.

• Anonymous

You're a stupid reason not to watch the other mo-
      No, but I do think its rather bullshit. It's far superior to have his webbing a natural part of his powers, to give him a finite limitation in something that should be innate is the stupid rationale for a decision. There's plenty of canon material out there where the webbing naturally occurs. Its one thing when Tony Stark has a finite number of missiles or amount of energy because the point of him or Batman is that they're supposed to not need powers to triumph over challenges and enemies, but Spiderman is a super powerful being, so it just doesn't make sense to be like 'but this isn't a super power anymore'. I also didn't watch the other two reboots either, because that shit sucks.