Dating on a budget

This is something I see a lot on GAG. Someone (mostly guys) will claim that they don't have the money to date. That dating is expensive and that they will only date sometime later in the future when they have more money to spend freely. Well, I'm here to tell you that dating doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, you can date without spending a single penny. And here's how.

1. Go on walks

This is probably the easiest and least expensive date option there is. All you need is clothes appropriate for the weather and you're good to go! This is also a great opportunity for you to explore parts of your town or city that you have yet to see. Plus, it's healthy. When I got to know one of my guy friends, we used to go on long walks all the time. I think the longest walk we took was over 6 miles. It's a great opportunity for you to get to know each other and just talk. And since you're constantly moving around, your conversations remain pretty private.

• Want to bump it up just a little and spend a small amount of money? Get some ice cream, or a cup of coffee. You can sit down on a park bench while you enjoy whatever you decided to buy.
  • Want to make it extra cute? Bring your dog, or his/her dog, and take lots of cute pictures together!

Dating on a budget

2. Hang out at the beach

You don't necessarily have to swim or anything (especially since it's getting pretty cold right now). But on a nice day, you might as well go to the beach and hang out. Maybe bring a ball that you can kick around, make up your own games. Make it extra romantic by watching the sunset together.

3. Go mini golfing

I guess this depends on where you live, but where I live, mini golfing is pretty inexpensive. It's fun, a nice way for the two of you to get a bit competitive and playful, and yet again a very good way to get to know each other. And if you have a more busy schedule, you don't have to worry about spending an entire day on a date, since you can get through a mini golf course within only a couple of hours.

4. Grab a cup of coffee at a cozy café

This is a pretty basic date idea but still worth mentioning since it's so cheap. It's also a great way to support your local cafés (i.e. NOT Starbucks). If you want to make it extra cute, you can share a piece of cake together. Good opportunity to check out exactly what your city has to offer in terms of coffee and desserts.

5. Go on a picnic

It doesn't even have to be outside. If you already know each other pretty well, you could invite your date to your place. Light some candles, put a blanket on the floor, prepare an easy meal and voilá. You've got yourself a little picnic date. You don't have to spend more than maybe 20 bucks at the grocery store, and most of this is stuff you probably already buy on a regular basis. All you need is some bread, a mozzarella salad, fruits, maybe some chicken, the beverage of your choice and a simple dessert, like cookies. Bonus points if you bake the cookies yourself (I recommend these chocolate chip cookies, they're insanely good). It's fun and a bit creative, especially if you do it inside. You can bring a deck of cards with you and play a few games. Easy.

And that's that. What I'm basically trying to say is, you don't have to go to expensive restaurants or spend lots of money on going to the movies, showering your date with gifts etc. There are lots of cute things you can do with your date that involve spending very little, if any, money. You don't have to be rich to go on dates. The important part is that you're getting to know each other better. And if your date gets cranky because you don't have the money to go on expensive dates, then maybe they're not the person for you. I know I would love to go on/host all of the dates I listed above. They're simple, and you get to do something small and fun together. Just perfect.

lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• I totally agree. Too many dudes worry about impressing, the idea of dating is to spend quality time together! ;-)

• I thought minigolf was way more expensive than it is.

This might be the opportunity of a lifetime to actually have some fun without having to spend tons of cash on it.

• You're a lifesaver lumos.

• :D you can do these things with your potential girlie.

• Oh god, I mean I love chicken nuggets but I wouldn't be able to stuff my face with 20 of them. 10 max haha. You're so sweet :P

• Right? There is no better gesture to showcase my generosity better than that.

• Have never been go to picnics before, since im living in a city, driving 50km++ needs fuel LOL

• You can have a picnic indoors, like I said in the take.

• I like to challenge things like this.

-Walks? You get colds and germs walking around. The real world is boring and I hate nature.
    -Hang out at the beach = HATE sand and getting wet. Bunch of filthy people hang at the beach. They give you germs
    -Go mini golfing = Boring
    -Grab a cup of coffee = I can make her this at home
    -Go on a picnic = Nature, bugs, germs

Lumos it's better to invite a girl to your house, make her a TV dinner and watch a dvd.

• Ok negative Nancy, be a boring germaphobe who lacks any sense of creativity.

• To quote Manson Monroe "If you can't handle me at my poorest, you don't deserve me at my wealthiest."

• guys compliant more because we pay most of the time even it is unfair because world is unfair.

• Very nice take.

But I don't see that working for most, if you are under 30 something.

• Why wouldn't it work?

• I have only met a couple of girls like that in my life, and those would be called attention whores and gold diggers where I live. None of my girl friends expect a perfect meal at a 5 star restaurant with the spotlight on them.
      But if a guy wants to date a girl like that, then that's his problem. I know for a fact that plenty of girls, including myself, would be more than happy to go on cute and cheap dates. If a girl only dates a guy for his money and for the status, then she's dating him for the wrong reason. And if a guy has to constantly take her to expensive places because she'll throw a fit otherwise, then maybe he should take a hard look in the mirror and ask himself if that's really what he wants.

• Than you are one of the few.

I want to hear from guys in the teen to 30 age rang on this, try these idea out and let me know how they work out. I want to hear only from guys dating women with out kids, women with kids usually more grounded and understanding about money and the cost of things than women without kids.

I will say that very few women will be still dating you, once they realize you are broke.

• It's only guys that have to worry about this and there is no magical cure for it. Those suggestions were nice, but most women would see through that and know you're broke.

• This is not a way for you to hide that you don't have a lot of money, obviously. Never said it was, either.

• Hahahaha if that's what you want to believe because you're so bitter, then so be it. Feel free to not date anyone, I doubt women would miss you.

• I don't need a leach sucking my wallet and using her vag as an ATM.

• An excellent Take! I very much agree! :D
    As for walks, some couples might even find doing it in the rain/snow while sharing an umbrella a bit romantic. :)

• The downside, your date must be into you so that she will tolerate the basicness of these dates. If you're trying to win her attention or something, these are not useful.

• hahahahahahaha... this is an explanation why you DON'T only go on life in looks... cool.

• fuck dating...

• Nice ideas thanks for sharing this take 😄

• To this I might add visiting a museum. Many are free and those that charge often don't charge a lot.

I spent the day with my friends, a married couple, at a local travel museum. The wife really liked it and they even paid for my lunch (rather thoughtful to pay for the third wheel, I think, even though I offered to pay for both of them). I think the whole trip for the three of us cost around $18.

• Great take! , Nothing's actually better than simplicity :)..

• From a male prespective: yes.
      But most woman would just think it's cheap to do one of the suggested dates

• @mikemx55 Gold digger is the right word. I believe in equality. Couples must work in order to be stable financially without relying only on individual salary..

• Gotcha, some people believe in survival though

• upvote filerrrrrr

• "Budget dating" lol Sorry it is just sounds funny.
    Good ideas tho.

• Great Take, I like the ideas :)

• Good advice. I hate going to coffee shops for a date though. To me it feels like that's where everybody is watching you and knows that you two are on a date. Even a place like a restaurant is better. Walks would probably be my favorite.

• That's why you can check out some different coffee shops, I'm sure some of them will give you more privacy depending on the location etc :)

• Coffee shops are like interviews

• You're exactly right, Monsters.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 12

• My boyfriend and I just go out for waffles. Individually we spend about twelve dollars, but I'll often insist on paying for him.

I'm the one who suggested it so I'm the one who pays. Makes sense to me. Of course he does what I do when somebody else pays for me. He does the whole you don't need to do that and I'll do the yes I do. And it goes in circles until I pull cash out first and hand it to the waffle man.

• If you want to go on a date on a budget, perhaps you shouldn't be with that person because guess what... when you two move on together, you will have bills to worry about. Just saying.

• Dating is not the same as being/moving in together.

• I'm encouraging men to not spend money they don't have, which is logical. Especially on someone they're not 100% sure it will work out with. What's the point in spending hundreds of dollars on maybe 4 dates, just to have the girl say "sorry, not interested" when you could as well just have gone out on more cheap dates to find it out. It's obviously only logical that you start spending more money on each other the more serious you become, but for just dating that's not necessary at all. You're just getting to know each other, no need to involve so much money right from the start. It also puts a bit too much pressure on it for my taste too, since dating is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

• Well if it's like that then ok

• I really like this take. Dates don't have to cost a lot of money. Personally, I would just be happy hanging out with the person and talking rather than really going out to "do something" and spend money.

• Dating should never be expensive to begin with
    Dating is getting to know someone not seeing how much money you can spend

• I love this take! Simple yet really romantic and good ideas for dating that don't cost a whole lot of money. I've done all of these and I can say that I had a good time on all of these dates. Sometimes it's nice to go on a walk and explore or go on a picnic.

• I completely agree!!! xx

• Also love museums (mostly free for the main parts):)

• Great take!

But for dates i prefer to go to someplace thats not cheap maybe a little bit on the expensive side. I mean i always pay for my share (especially on first 3 dates), I'd go to somewhere thats cheap maybe if we're comfortable with each other or we just wants to be good friends.

• Why do you have to go somewhere more than expensive?

• Cause that's where i usually eat at. I rarely go to cheap places

• Such a nice take! All the ideas sound great!

Might i add that when you go for coffee, you can go search for Cafés in your area that is unique, and ask your date if they want to check them out with you. I had a date at a café that also serves as a small boutique. You can buy the clothes and accessories they hang there as decorations.

Or if you're both quite athletic, you could go for a bike ride together.

Or if you have a monthly ticket for the public transportation in your city, just hop on and get put wherever you feel like inspecting the area. Or just ride it til the last stop, and then take another one and let it bring you to another corner of the town. It would give you tons of time to chat, while watching the sceneries, people watching, talk about the city, etc. Just remember, no PDA! Except for hand holding. Which in itself is actually cute, because you get to know the person you're dating without any sexual aspect cloudig your judgement.

• Art galleries usually have free openings with wine and snacks. Just about every museum
    Has a free day once a month. The farmers market or a street festival are free/cheap and give you people watching.

• Oh, how nice it must be to believe that everyone lives near a nice, warm ocean... The only "beaches" here are ice-cold reservoirs or lakes fed by melted snow. But I know what you mean. I'll take the liberty of replacing "go to the beach" with "go to the pool if it's summer or go sledding if it's winter" for those of us who live in such climates.

• I live in Finland, there are no nice warm beaches here this time of year. You can go to the beach (or lake, or puddle) in cold weather as well, as long as you bring the appropriate clothes.

• totally agree.. it's not written that you have to go to a five star a restaurant slice of pizza is really great... simple things are just as good if not better at least it is for me

• Yeah agreed. Gym too is nice - go to the hot tub or swimming pool.