10 Reasons Why You Should Go Out With A Tolkien Nerd

Before I begin, I must tell you that this myTake is inspired by @ConsultantIsBack's Take, 13 Reasons Why You Should Date A Star Wars Nerd, after I jokingly asked him for another- Tolkien themed- myTake and he confessed his ignorance on the subject (don't worry, I understand you can't know everything! :P )

It's pretty neat, you should take a look at it. Y'know, if you're into that sort of stuff.

To stop some random person from breating really heavy and typing really fast in caps lock at me, I'll clarify that this Take is only semi-serious. I'm just a bit bored and I thought I'd do something that others can enjoy :)

So, this is why you should go out with a Tolkien nerd!

1. We are often prone to romantic gestures

10 Reasons Why You Should Go Out With A Tolkien NerdTolkien's works have many examples of characters going far above and beyond the call of duty for the one they love. Beren got his hand bitten off by the giant hellhound Carcharoth when trying to return a Silmarill to Doriath, to win the hand of Lúthien. D'aww, how romantic. I'm sure all these acts of valour rub off on the readers :)

2. We are adventurous

This one was obvious. What is one of the biggest themes of LotR and The Hobbit especially? Adventure! If you don't want someone who doesn't like exploring places for the fun of it, perhaps we Tolkien fans aren't for you. And y'know, outdoors isn't the only place we might be feeling a little bit "adventurous" ;)

3. We are as loyal as they come!

Another big thing, in LotR especially, is loyalty. If there's anything that Sam taught us, it's that you should always stick with things, no matter how bad they get, and eventually, it will come out okay in the end.

4. Some of us can speak more than one language

If the person you're dating is a real hardcore Tolkien nerd, chances are they know a bits of the languages he created, making them bilingual! It's also gerat if you need him/her to take the piss out of someone: "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul! >:) " Or perhaps for those long winter nights: "Nalyë melmë cuilenya"

(just don't say "elvish" to their face- Make sure to distinguish between Quenya and Sindarin ;) )

5. Most of us value old things and nature

Yet another HUGE theme running through almost all of his works in Eä is nature. We are often shown the consequences of interfering with nature, for exmaple in The Silmarillion, some important trees die, and (almost) all light in the world dies. How's that for consequences? And obviously, who can forget the Ents?

6. Patience

“Of the Three Rings that the Elves had preserved unsullied no open word was ever spoken among the Wise, and few even of the Eldar knew where they were bestowed. Yet after the fall of Sauron their power was ever at work, and where they abode there mirth also dwelt and all things were unstained by the griefs of time. Therefore ere the Third Age was ended the Elves perceived that the Ring of Sapphire was with Elrond, in the fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone; whereas the Ring of Adamant was in the Land of Lórien where dwelt the Lady Galadriel. A queen she was of the woodland Elves, the wife of Celeborn of Doriath, yet she herself was of the Noldor and remembered the Day before days in Valinor, and she was the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth. But the Red Ring remained hidden until the end, and none save Elrond and Galadriel and Cirdan knew to whom it had been committed.

Thus it was that in two domains the bliss and beauty of the Elves remained still undiminished while that Age endured: in Imladris; and in Lothlórien, the hidden land between Celebrant and Anduin, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no Orc or evil thing dared ever come. Yet many voices were heard among the Elves foreboding that, if Sauron should come again, then either he would find the Ruling Ring that was lost, or at the best his enemies would discover it and destroy it; but in either chance the powers of the Three must then fail and all things maintained by them must fade, and so the Elves should pass into the twilight and the Dominion of Men begin. And so indeed it has since befallen: the One and the Seven and the Nine are destroyed; and the Three have passed away, and with them the Third Age is ended, and the Tales of the Eldar in Middle-earth draw to then-close.”

I read all three-hundred and sixty-five pages of The Silmarillion, plus all the family trees etc.

I guess you could say I'm a patient guy.

7. We can role play as well as any Star Wars fan!

*insert wall of text about how Melkor could beat every Sith Lord at the same time here*

8. We can see the good in people, even when it's not curently on show

When Boromir tried to take the ring from Frodo, he didn't say "Hey fuk u git off ma ring". Nope, not Frodo. He said "You are not yourself". When Frodo told Sam to leave when they were approaching the end of their journey, did Sam leave? Nope. They both knew that it wasn't really them talking- it was the Ring. They didn't hold it against them because they know what they were really like on the inside- good people.

9. We appreciate the little things

Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. "

If you show us small acts of kindness, it will not go unnoticed, don't worry. Little things that are done fore us definitely change how we feel towards you, and we'll definitely repay the favour!

10. Kickass wedding/Engagement rings

One thing you can't deny about LotR fans is that, we know our rings! And one thing I can't deny is that if I have the money, I'll definitely consider buying Nenya, Vilya or Narya (centre, right, left) as a wedding/engagement ing for that special someone in the future :P

I myself own a gold plated One Ring, for when I'm in that "dominion of all life" kinda mood.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 4

• My one reason to date a Tolkien nerd: BECAUSE I AM ONE TOO HAVE MY GEEKY BABIES!!!

• Haha So cute!
    I agree. =)

- only mention I have to make is that speaking a bit of another language hardly makes you bilingual... doesn't even count as knowing a language if you can't communicate in it with ease...

I'd be sad if a guy I liked didn't know ad least one other language than his mother tongue. A waste of brain power...

• One ring to rule the pussy... *Dead*

• Great Take

at least I know LOTR

I am clueless about Star Wars though xD

• So was I until about a week ago, when I had to go out and buy all of them and watch them, so I had an idea of what was going on when my family took me to see the new one.
      People will probably call me a normie, but honestly I they don't live up to the hype, and the latest one is the best one so far.

The Lord of the Rings, on the other hand... that's the good stuff :P

• Yeah

I agree because I've seen part of maybe a movie lol nd i didn't feel the appeal

What Guys Said 9

• You guys know that if you like it then you'll put a RING on it!! bahaha

Thanks for the mention and endorsement for my take.

• Love lord of the rings, great series.

• It's also fun to see their reaction to things like this-

"Use the force, Harry!" ~Gandalf

• I'm sorry, what is that, never heard of the expression

• ned stark! awesome!!!

• Now that's what I'm Tolkien about! :P

That was a fun read. I have to say I wouldn't mind wearing one of those Elvish rings of power either. It would be fun to be with a girl who's into epic stories like this, who gets into all the details of the lore, that I can have these kinds of discussions with.

One thing I don't get is the "rivalry" between universes though. I like LOTR, but I also like Star Wars, and Star Trek for that matter. I don't get why people have to like some but dislike the rest, they're all good in their own way. Different themes entirely.

• I don't dislike the other two, I just like this one the most :P

• 11. Once we're married, we'll never lose our rings (unless we're hiding in a cave playing a game of riddles).

• A nerd! Beat him up!

• I've been found!
      *throws inhaler, pens and glasses at you and runs away*

• Aw yeah, LOTR is the best...