As a Tall Girl, 3 Big Problems I'd Have Dating Shorter Guys

First things first, I have never actually dated anyone but I know, from being around guy friends who are a deal smaller than me I would find it awkward dating anyone their height. Before you all lash out its not because I do not find them attractive. In fact I find a lot of smaller men attractive. Despite this various reasons have made me a bit wary of doing so.

Insecurity

This is one of the main reasons I would have a problem. While I normally love my height - I even call myself Giant and Giraffe (6 foot 2 in case you were wondering) - when standing next to a boy quite a bit smaller than me i feel more insecure. This is probably due to the media telling us that men need to be taller than women and the other way around looks weird. I know it may seem superficial but it probably won't change. Especially because other people would look at it as quite weird. As well as this: I am always seeing pictures of how great small girls are, as they can be with anyone, yet there is till stigma surrounding tall girls.

Weight Issues

No matter what I weigh, I will always feel fat, as I would have a bigger figure and more than likely have bigger size clothes, which would make me feel self-conscious of my weight. Even if I was not overweight, I would feel like I was because of the height difference. To be honest, I sometimes feel this way around girls as well and when I am towering over them. I feel big and clumsy.

Heels

Obviously this doesn't really matter, but I like to wear shoes with a bit of a heel and can feel uneasy when wearing heels around smaller people. As well as this, I have been told by wearing flat shoes too much I could do damage to my spine because my feet turn inwards (no joke), so therefore it is better for my physical well-being to wear slightly heeled shoes, which can sometimes make me feel like a giant.

Thanks for reading this MyTake. I hope you understand and feel free to comment if you have any questions regarding it.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 32

If you want to date shorter guys then these problems shouldn't stop you?

That's what I was thinking.

Yeah like who would feel insecure about dating someone they like 😂

Wait I'm sort of confused.. You won't date a short guy because of their insecurity but then the next one is insecurity about how your weight is perceived?

I'm tall by the way so I'm not biased.

She said that she felt insecure next to them, not that they were insecure. Both were about her insecurities, not anyone else's.

I like short girls.

www.court-records.net/.../miles-crossed(c).gif

Maybe I am just being cynical but I find it hugely bewildering how easily women succumb to their insecurity related to height. It's like the main thing women come out with and say "Yep, I don't feel feminine... I care to feel feminine. It's that clear" but get away with it because the media and society back them. I wish more women just wouldn't feel so casual about it.

Women didn't just make this up in the same way men don't make up the idea that women tend to care about things like men's height, muscles, amount of hair, and penis size. Society has an entire culture around specifying and enforcing what is considered attractive, what the other gender 'should' be attracted to, and then selling you all the ways to help you make that happen if you don't check the boxes naturally. I've been made fun of my whole entire life for being tall until I left school. I'm a strong person, but yeah, it gets to you every once in a while, and for others, the pain of that runs much deeper and even becomes a psychological issue with having low self esteem about it. Both sexes feel a lot of pressure about these things, and it can be hard to recognize that if you don't check the boxes, you can still be awesome too.

@mostwomenshouldstfu Interesting point... This relates back to my initial point about women succumbing to their 'primitive' perceptions and opt for height without it having much meaning to how society is now.

www.court-records.net/animationgk/miles-aha(e).gif

I guess the only sensible answer is that height as a tool for intelligence and providing is no longer logical. We cannot justify nor prove that height has any real benefit in society apart from a self-fulfilling prophecy which many want to constantly reinforce.

No, you're downplaying height. It's still an advantage (and disadvantage) today as it was thousands of years ago. Intelligence is just anither trait, and doesn't always trump everything either. If you remove all physical contact, then yeah, all traits may seem irrelevant.

At 6 ft 2 in you are not very tall. There are a lot of Americans who are taller than you. You only need to look around and find such people. Watch basketball and Volley Ball games and see if you like some of those boys. Then you can meet some fashion models and see if you like them. tall men can be found if you try to find them out with a purpose. Good luck to you

actually I am taller than the average man and I am in the top 2 percentile for female height. I do understand that there are people taller than me but I was just addressing the issue of people thinking me shallow and immature for not wanting to date shorter men

You know how to approach life without hurting others. And that will help you a lot.

i find tall women attractive

I feel similar about dating shorter girls. I know that's weird but if they weren't too much shorter I'd be okay with it, I just vastly prefer them to be taller.

So, uh, guess I'm screwed.

Short men are genetically inferior and you should not have sex with them.

So what do you think about this: www.match.com/.../ ?

Would you be open to dating shorter guys? Unless I missed something, I don't think you ever said.

I love tall girls. Hope that helps

At least you've acknowledged that the insecurity is on your part. Most girls will fail to acknowledge this when giving the reasons they won't date short (er) guys.

I just wanted to make it clear, from my perspective it isn't the issue with the males height, because as I stated in myTake I can find them quite attractive, it is the issue with my height.

I've always had my best luck hitting on tall girls, because they tend to understand that you can't control how tall you are, they're not psychotically obsessed with a man's height like most women, they're more understanding. I don't give a shit if you're 8' tall. I'm about 5'9''. If you give a shit how tall I am, eh, kiss my ass. That's all just shit left over from Annunaki days, anyway. Those girls who worship tall guys are idiots. A tall guy's just as likely to be a dirtbag as anybody else. Try valuing things like honesty, integrity, loyalty, intelligence, shit like that. That's my advice. Take it or leave it.

Thanks. obviously i do care about personality but the issue i was talking about wasn't i don't find them attractive, it's my issue with my height making me uncomfortable

Well no one can help you with that except you, sweetheart.

I couldn't just read it to the end, so much BS here.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm fairly short (5'7"), and I don't feel intimidated around tall women. Actually, I like when they are taller than I am, though I know that puts me into the minority. During my final semester at university, I liked a lady who was 6'4", and being around her didn't bother me any. Most dudes seemed rather intimated by her, and I think she found it refreshing to be around a guy who didn't treat her differently from all the average and short girls.

It takes more effort to make a short man-tall girl relationship work, but the payoff is completely justified if the two are compatible. Don't let inconsequential stuff get in the way of that.

I kind of feel weird dating a girl that is shorter than me. She is always looking up at me. It is awkward to kiss her and I don't know what to do with my arm. I have to lean down to put it around her. If I want to I could just put it on top of her head.
    I'm not sure how it will affect our sex life. She sometimes wears heals but they are not really tall enough and if they are to big they look weird on her. Also she twisted her uncle in a pair recently so those are out. I like when we sit cause if I slouch then I can talk with her eye to eye which I love doing.

Well you aren't going to find very many guy's taller than you so good luck with your search. You may find you have to lower your standards a bit regarding height.

I don't mind if a girl is taller than me... opinion of people who think it's weird, is totally irrelevant.
    It's completely normal for tall people to weight more, but they re obviously not overweight.
    I don't like heels, not because of height, but because I just don't like them, I prefer girls in sneakers.

How tall are you

How tall are you?

it says in the take I'm 6'2

Oh that's not too bad, there are plenty of men who are taller than that. I suggest that you wear slightly heeled shoes like you were told but only slightly. I imagine you'll find it hard to find guys who are smaller than you who would be interested in a tall women but yeah.

I've never met a girl my height or taller so I really don't know what it would feel like. Even for me 6-2 would be kind of pushing it.

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 11

Wow you are 6'2", that is very tall for a girl. I get where you are coming from though, but I think it's all in your head. These "limitations" shouldn't stop you from chasing after the guy you want regardless of your height. I think you need to come over these insecurities and just go for what you want.

... I get where you're coming from as I'm 5'10" so can definitely relate.
    As you're clearly aware, though, basically all of the 'issues' you face are in your head. They're issues YOU have to deal with. Limitations you put on yourself in order to conform to some kind of 'strict ideals' society pushes on you more than anything else.

I think you are right, I am 179 - 180 cm and have dated girls being 185 cm 190 cm without any problem. Maybe they feel great with me because I don't care about their height at all.

@mits777 180 isn't short at all (you're still taller than me) but touche. If the dynamic in your relationship is put off simply because of your heights not adhering to social norms, that speaks volumes about how well a couple would fare in the long run. The fact that I'm a bit taller than my boyfriend doesn't change how I'm still sub af to him. :P

haha, well you know what I DONT GIVE A FUCK about what society thinks about my relationships, and I was lucky for my girlfriend to think the same :P (2 girlfriend that were taller then me 185 and 190 cm). I don't live my life for the others, just for myself. I am sad when I see people breaking relationships because of what society thinks, we need to be free to do what we want and love

I can completely understand this. I'd feel the same way if I were tall.
    Everyone on here who says that wouldn't stop you dating a short guy - obviously didn't read a word you wrote... and is probably very simple minded...

Yes some sexual positions would be an issue

• 18h

good,

I understand, being 5'11 myself. Which is not as tall as you but still quite tall for a girl. All boys I've dated have been shorter, but I'm taking pride in it now as I've been called a tall goddess because of it haha. The clothing/weight thing, yeah, I agree. I often need large sizes of jeans to fit my legs in well enough and that can be kind of embarrassing. But I wear my heels with pride, even next to my 5'9 boyfriend.

What I'm sick of is guys accusing me of being superficial if I won't date anyone shorter than me. I'm sorry! There are too many inner emotions and insecurities it brings out to even begin settling with it.

This was the issue I was trying to address. making it clear that the problem wasn't I'm not attracted to small men but the problem being my insecurities

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way 😄

That's true with flat shoes not only spine problems but flat feet as well.

My cousin is quite tall and dated a guy that was around my height.. a guy that has confidence will not bother about your height. When I think tall girls I think models mostly they are all tall ESP catwalk models. As for clothes it don't matter your height, fitted clothes look good on anyon of all sizes and make you feel good about yourself..

You're take on small girls getting anyone? That's not true otherwise is smaller girls would all be walking about with eye candy and big smiles on our face..

There's a reason why majority of men are over 6ft.. why you not looking at them if height issues with yourself and a smaller man is the confidence killer?

When you get older you'll shrink with age so make the most of being young and don't let your height stop you.. you are only stopping yourself..

Nelson is 5'4 he looks up at you and smiles kindly. He stands next to you and watches the sky. He loves being cuddled, tickled and wants to be your special treasure. Would you date Nelson?

I would love to be taller. I am 5ft 2. My boyfriend is 6ft 2. Sometimes it is like hugging my Daddy... lol. I love him but we can never see eye to eye. unless I stand on something. But I love him...

I don't think you should feel insecure about it. Date who you want. I'm 5'7 and the person I'm head over heels for is 5'5 ... that's short for men. I only wear heels... lol.. but he doesn't seem to mind... you Have