What do you think about taking turns paying for a date or splitting the bill? Why?

Pretty self-explanatory, so give me your opinion.

(I'm just typing this last part because it won't allow me to post the question until I make it longer.)

• Yeah sure that sounds fair.
  • No way. What are you cheap?
  • I don't care.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always offer to pay for myself and the guy only pays if he really wants too or does it secretly. I'm my own person, I earn my own money so I can pay for myself. I'm not dependent on a man, never have been and never will be. I don't expect a man to pay for me when he barely knows me. Would you give a random stranger £20 for conversing with you? It's the same thing in my eyes. Me and my boyfriend always split the bill unless he insists on paying (usually when his family is there), if he's had a huge paycheck or if I don't have enough money but he really wants to take me out.

What Girls Said 22

• When I go on a date with a guy, I never expect them to pay for me. It's always nice when they do and 100% of the time they do and insist on it. But I never expect them to, and I always try to pay but they won't let me.

I think I prefer to pay my own way because I don't like women who use men for money smetimes or those spoiled chicks. So I try and be self sufficient.

• I think a man should pay unless he can't afford it financially. yeah i've had to pay for my dates some times, but i only did it because i know he couldn't afford it, but wanted to take me somewhere.

• So you're saying a guy should always pay? Why?

• Okay, but you're saying you would still make him pay for you. Not to sound mean, but that's a bit... rude and ugly.

• i wouldn't make him, i'd expect him to. its what all the males in my life have done so thats what i expect

• There has to be a system when it comes to this. Usually what I do with my boyfriend is, we alternate although sometimes he's clever enough to pay without me noticing. Sure, it's nice when guys do that but girls usually feel 'in debt' so we always try to repay them back even if it isn't with money, or a gift instead.

• I think the person who planned the date should pay. You know, if you ask a girl out, you pay. If she asks you out, she pays. But only in the beginning, after the first few dates you should split. But don't start all that I. pay. for. me - you. pay. for. you bullcrap, that's just annoying.

• I think the guy definitely has to pay for the first 2-3 dates. Then I guess we could split or alternate. I also think is a good idea after the initial 2-3 dates that whoever really wanted to go somewhere should pay for it. And once were dating home dates are awesome or doing stuff for free/cheaply is cool too.

• Just curious, but why do you believe the guy should pay for the first 2 or 3 times?

• I can see you way for thinking that. Guess I just have a different view.

• Yes. That's just how I've been brought up and I get it that paying for dates is expensive so that's why I don't care after the initial few. But if a guy asks me out just to have me pay why should I continue to see him? It also gives off the assumption that the man is too cheap or can't afford to pay which doesn't look good. Not everything is money but if a guy can't she'll out $50 a few times that's not a good sign.

• I think if he asked me to dinner for example I would expect him to pay for the first date or two, but after that I'll pay for my own food or whatever else we do. If I take him somewhere I will definitely pay for him if he's okay with that. In a relationship I think splitting/taking turns is a needed thing for me, I wouldn't want him to always pay it would make me feel uncomfortable.

• voted for "it's fair" but one advice! this should in best situation be suggested by the girl not the guy, and make sure that it is fine with her.
    sometimes even the girl is willing to do it, but if this is suggested by the guy during early dates, she'll get a bad impression and still think you're cheap. be careful with how you say it :)

• Dates are so awkward. I hate dates. Yeah, sure we can split the bill but I prefer doing free stuff when going out with someone to avoid some of the awkwardness.

• yeah sure that sounds fair

• It depends, if we met for the first few times I would prefer to pay my share and it would probably go on until we are serious about each other, and I am someone who likes to spend on the person I like so I wuldn't really mind who pays for what!

• Yeah I think that's fine, either that or whoever has the money that time. (I think it's fine once you are actually together, in the beginning whoever asks the other out should pay)

• I say just split the check while dating and if you're in a relationship take turns. During dating, I'd rather just get to know the guy, not burn a hole in his wallet. Also, I wouldn't want him to feel like I owe him anything.

• I like that idea, I hate the feeling of someone constantly paying for me, it makes me feel like i'm in a child/parent situation. lol.

• Split the check. 50/50. Let's make this fair. Men aren't ATMs and shouldn't have to pay for dates just because they have a penis.

• no, first few dates he is paying.. than if i like him comfortable i can offer to pay bill or split..

• I have always done this and see no problem with it.

• That works for me.

• Yeah its only fair to do it that way

• I paid on my second date with a guy. I didn't care, I offered to do it.

• I would only let a guy pay for me if I am interested.
    And sure equal rights, fairness and blah blah but honestly... a guy who at least offers to pay for both would make a better impression on me. And money has nothing to do with it, it's more about showing care and attention.

• I'd down for that, I'd prefer it actually.
    I don't want to feel like we're having break the bank just to date each other, that's silly.
    Share, split, take turns, home dates... I'm all for it.

• Honestly I think if you're just going out on dates the guys should pay (tradition) and we leave the tip. And when you're in a relationship you can pay and we will occasionally. And when you get serious you take turns and also when you guhs are just dating or just met and are still friends offering to pay is fine and then end up splitting helps in your guys situation.

• Why do you think that?

• Why do I think what exactly?

• Why do you think the girl should only pay when they are in a relationship?

What Guys Said 8

• my opinion is each relationship should figure out what works for them. in my relationship it's too much work to figure out 50/50 over the course of a relationship and splitting every check down the middle is just tedious. so we just take turns paying, we love each other and want to be with each for ever so we figure it's all for the greater good of our relationship. basically whoever can afford to dish out the cash at any point does... however of course on big purchases and stuff we split it or someone pays for it and the other picks up the next bill but even then we don't generally keep a running tab

• I don't care. I will put up the requisite protest to her token offer to pay if it comes to that, but if she is determined that she's going to pay I'm not going to be all like, "I always have to pay for everything. That's my role as the man in this relationship." Now, if she always wants to do expensive things, then yeah, I'd hope she'd pay a fair amount of the time.

• I think that you should split the bill, especially before a relationship is established. This clears up any confusion and suspicions that the man is only paying because he wants something later. Once a relationship is established, then guys should use chivalry if they want. But in today's modern, expensive world, I think everyone is on their own. It's not romantic but it's how things are now. Also, more women are working well-paying jobs than ever before. The idea that the man pays for himself and the woman is a hold-over from the days where women didn't work. The world is different now.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to do chivalrous acts for a lady sometime. I imagine it's a good feeling. But sometimes it's not applicable to the modern world or before both parties understand they are in a relationship.

• If I asked her out, I'll pay. If it's a relationship taking turns/splitting the bill is a must.

• Great Idea or splitting the check perfect Idea.

• Well as a guy i'd pay for the first date obviously, but after that splitting is the way to go

• Vote for C. I dont care.

• Politically correct BS answer would be Vote A but in all reality women will mainly agree with option B. thank you 11 ladies that voted option B at least you're honest.