Why do couples hold hand in public? Is it just being possessive?

Like if they really love each other that much and can't stand not touching each other for a few seconds, why ain't they holding hands around the house? but only in public? Is it just simply being possessive? Or to show off? Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• its not at all being possessive, When I walk down the street next to my girl, something, a force, just makes me grab her hand because I want to touch her and feel the comfort of her hand holding mine. And i find it cute cuz i can toy with her, drag her around, push her... tease her.. and its all fun and games and it just makes the attraction towards her stronger and keeps me connected to her. But I let go all the time and walk simply nearby...

What Guys Said 9

• It seems to me that almost always when a guy and girl are holding hands it's when they're walking. Not always but mostly. So it sort of lends itself to being outside the house. I don't think of it as being possessive, because that sounds too pejorative. I think holding hands is very sexy. And it's an acceptable form of sexy touch in public.

• i think its just nice i mean your out having a good time so you hold hands so what if its public. or in some cases the girl/guy want to show there girl/guy friend off

• It can be any of those along with just liking each other so much that they want to touch. Maybe it's a mild form of foreplay.

• It's because they feel so comfortable... I hold hands because it's like your connected to her. It's like a visible feeling of her with you... it happens naturally. It's more difficult in the summer.. hands get a bit sweaty. Hey personally speaking it's not a public statement in my case anyway. It's because you really love her... yiu want to hold her hand... the feeling is of happiness. It's like pleasing your hear & soul.

• haha I didn't usually hold my exs hand I sort of just walked beside her, but if she wanted to hold my hand i would hold it.. for me I just held her hand because she enjoyed it and I enjoyed seeing her happy

• You raise an interesting point...

• They hold hands because they love one another. Don't be a piss baby.

• It's an act of affection.

• It could be one or a combination of all these things but very loving and touchy couples will do this and many newer relationships will do this. It seems like it bothers you why?

• No it doesn't bother me. My boyfriend and I hold hand in public too I just don't get it and kinda curious why people don't hold hands around the house but in public if it's a show off thing.

• I hold hands when sitting on the couch with my lady. I doubt crapping on the toilet or doing the dishes would be easy to hold hands.

What Girls Said 5

• I hold my fiancĂ©'s hand and we are more affectionate in private than in public. Every couple is different though and has different needs.

• I don't know I think it's just a sign of affection for that person but I think another reason poeple do it is to show the world that you are dating that person

• No not possessive. I think they do it to show their affection.

• I dislike holding hands but I have always been that way I don't really know why? Now I can have a legitimate reason because my ra but even before I was diagnosed I still never liked holding hands I prefer hugs.

• I only hold my boyfriend's hand in private.