Why do women mock and make fun of my short friend? Why don't some women ever give shorter men a chance?

I have a friend who is perfect in every way, very handsome, confident, happy, energetic, has a great job, loves kids, volunteers and works at charity events helping kids with cancer, runs a soccer league for terminally ill children, and is the kindest most caring guy you could meet.

Problem is, he is 5'4''.

We sometimes go out at night and he will try his luck with women, does everything right, and they just flat out laugh at him and mock his lack of stature. A group of women joked about him being a smurf, and said some really mean, despicable things to him, but what hurt me the most is that he just smiled and shrugged it off.

"I've dealt with this since high school" he says, "It has become so normal for me that I just suck it up and deal with the pain, after all, you only get one shot at life, might as well get shot down and keep smiling rather then become bitter, I just hope that one day I can find love, get married, and raise a family, that's all I ask for, just one girl who is able to look past the way god made me." he told me with a smile.

Later that night I knelt down and prayed for him with tears welling up in my eyes. I hope god brings this great man true happiness, love, and fulfillment.

Most Helpful Girl

• They make fun of him because they can't take him seriously as a man. One of the first things a girl notices is height! Even before face, since you have to look up there to see it. I personally don't like guys that are too tall. They tend to think they're hot shit, even though they're average in looks and everything just because women are nice to them because they're tall. Your friend sounds perfect. How old is he? ;) You should let him know that there are definitely plenty of women like me who know how to appreciate other qualities besides height.

• haha he is 27, that is good, there are pure hearts out there of all heights, colors, and races

What Girls Said 8

• If your asking why women don't like shorter men it really just comes done to genetics see subconsciously women are looking for a man to "defend her and her family" and really it just happens to be that taller men look more intimidating and have the ability to become much more muscly than shorter men. That's not to say your friend will never find a companion I'm sure there will be a nice sweet girl he will meet one day. But upon physical appearance most girls (at least materialistic ones) will probably not give him the time of day. Though this can be a good thing as he won't have to waste his time sorting through all the bitches to meet a nice girl.

I wish your friend the best

• Most girls like taller men, or at least men who are taller than themselves, and guys tend to like shorter girls. It's the way we're all wired, apparently. But it sucks that people are making fun of him over that. Height isn't something that can be controlled either.

Then again I'm very tall and guys I liked who were often shorter than me never gave me the time of day when I was single, so yeah.

• i have been able to overcome my own biological instincts through meditation, studying the works of great philosophers, and religion. It has helped me in great ways and has made me both happier and more altruistic.

• That's quite a feat.

• Well obviously he isn't perfect in every way then if nobody likes him.
    My cousin is 5'4 and he is such a slut

• Clicked send by accident (touch screen) anyway, if my short ass cousin can get as many girls as he can I don't get why other guys can't unless they are just weirdos.
      His brother is only slightly taller than him and he's extremely over weight, but he also gets girls non stop. Both brothers are real slutty and always find girls, so if they can, especially the fat one, other short guys can to. Tell your "friend" work on his game or something, I dunno.

• Well, I'm 4'11, so I would date almost anyone, practically everyone is taller than me :)

That's really fucked up, and I wish people weren't so rude. I'm flat chested, not all guys, but there are some rude guys who don't care about pointing it out. A few of my friends are fat, and they get laughed at as well. People are just assholes. Regardless of gender. I wish it weren't that way, but other people have no shame in mocking strangers. :/

• have people not heard the expression "don't judge a book by it's cover"?

I play that quote in my head everytime I meet a new person, it keeps me humble, as well as much happier on the inside.

• I dont emphasize on men height. Being at 5'1 i bet many guys are taller than me, so 5'4 is not short and I would date guys at that height

• The harsh truth is: Women genetically select. So do men. Our biological tendency is to do so.

• I don't, and neither does my friend, and my other male friends. I look for patience, selflessness, integrity, empathy, and courageousness in a women, and look for nothing else.

Maybe we are the saints in an ocean of superficiality and humiliating discrimination, maybe we are able to look beyond are primitive evolutionary instincts in favor of a higher moral understanding and cause. It is more honorable to reject temptation when you see it in favor of a greater moral cause than it is to give in to your primitive animal-like instincts. I am a man, not an heartless animal.

I judge by the content of a person's character, and when I meet a woman, I don't look at her face, her body, because that fades and deteriorates with time, I look into the heart, because the flame that ignites one's spirit is eternal.

• And for the record, I feel the same way your friend does, but in a different form and for slightly different hang-ups. -- I'm 5'1'', not as pretty as I'd like, and not at all a quarter as successful as I hoped to be by now, or as I should be at the age of 28.

But I don't know how your friend copes but my perspective has come to be this: Finding someone is a selfish want. Realising it's a selfish want does not make me want it less, but realising that I'm fortunate in various ways makes me grateful for all the other things in my life. And not being able to hope for a SO to feel smug about, forces me to focus on other people rather than myself. And that perspective is something very fulfilling. Very very fulfilling.

• ... And it's courage. Not courageousness.

• I get not wanting to date someone that is short, but why rub salt in his wounds... Damn bastards >.> You're friend will find some that will fill his heart with song, man. Don't worry :) When you attend his future wedding make sure you let his wife know in your speech that you prayed for her to come into his life. btw, next time that happens be sure to give girls like that the finger for me and call them cunt snot dirtbags, okay? I know that is vulgar, but they need to hear it.

• There are plenty of women under 5'4 and I've known many who like smaller guys because they feel more comfortable with them. Most people aren't that rude to someone approaching politely. If most women are actively mean to him, he may evaluate what draws him to approach someone.

What Guys Said 5

• Dude, I'm 5'4.5" and I've dated girls from 5'3" to 5'10". Confidence and being a good guy gives you the chance.
    Yes, I have been rejected for being short, but w/e they're not worth my time if that's why they rejected me.

• this attitude is probably location specific, some regions people are just more open and accepting socially.

• I doubt Canada is that much different than usa.

• Yeah man, there's some shitty people out there.

Clubs aren't the best places to pick up good women, though, haha. And no, I'm not laughing at your friend.

Sounds like you guys are good people; keep on keeping on, man.

• This is probably easy for me to say since I'm pretty tall, but that's the way it is. People can't help what they're attracted to.

• The problem is they are judging him on something out of his control, you cannot control your height just like you cannot control your race or skin color, what hurts me is the discrimination, it is morally reprehensible. There are very few women out there who have a pure heart.

• That is very rude of them. Some people are just jerks. Our society is teeming with them.

• Women are very cruel to short men. I'm 5'8 and get a hard time for being "Too short" I can only imagine how much worse it must be for him. Shorter women seem to have a problem with height. I try and tall girls they seem to be less obsessed with as they know most guys are shorter than them. I had a girl friend who was 5'6 and she loved to tell me and make fun of my height where as my 5'10 girl friend didn't care at all. He's use to it buy now like you said though they don't care about a short guys feelings they treat a short guy like he's nothing and a joke.

• try and date* by not buy*