My boyfriend likes his video games more than me?

We are doing a long distance relationship and he won't call me ever because he is too busy playing COD... Like I don't mind him playing because I like video games too but it's a daily thing and he just texts me but texting won't cut it because the conversations are too slow and boring.

Most Helpful Guy

• Designate a time to have a phone call or a skype/facetime date so he knows way early that for 1 to 3 hours he is yours. As a guy who plays/played world of warcraft, a way more addictive game I know that real life always takes precedence over gametime. But to be fair to him, just being upset he won't get off the "stupid" game to talk to you doesn't sound like much fun when he thinks the conversation is gonna be same old same old. You have to plan ahead so he doesn't have to choose. And you can make it better, by making him feel like talking on the phone with you will be fun. Like phonesex. Sexting, video calls are great for this. Something that makes it more interesting than talking about what was for lunch.
    I'm currently long distance myself, so I get what you're going through. But you can't pass off things he enjoys doing as a waste of time and get mad that he doesn't want to stop having fun to talk to you about your day.

• We set up 9 pm every night because it fits my schedule and he is free too. but he never calls and when I call he gets pissed because "i make him lose"

• You can make friends at school : )

• see that's a problem lol I'm shy. Like I'd have a better chance meeting people in social gatherings than in school. I feel awkward especially since everyone is so quiet and doesn't talk to eachother. I go to community college

What Guys Said 18

• Let me make this VERY simple for you: dump him and find a new boyfriend, one who is LOCAL to you.

LDRs never work, and relationships with video game addicts almost never work either.

Smarten up and start taking charge of your life. You're WAY too young to start settling for such lousy relationships already, but it's up to YOU to demand better. if you don't, then you'll get what you settle for.

• I've been reading your responses to some of the other posters, and I'm sorry to say that his priorities are wildly screwed up. I've been a gamer all my life, but there are so many things more important the blowing the virtual heads off of strangers.

Girlfriends/wives should never take a backseat to a video game, ever. I could understand the rare instance of "Hey, I'll call you back after this round" IF he actually followed through, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I really hate to say it, but it sounds like he needs the wake up call of losing a girlfriend. You deserve to be the most important thing in a guy's life, not some stupid leaderboard or gamerscore. If he's unwilling, or unable, to reassess his priorities, you may want to consider finding a guy who puts you before a virtual battlefield.

• I like this a lot. Thanks... He never really was a good boyfriend anyways. He used to be abusive.

• Thanks so much <3 I was thinking the same thing.

• Hey I agree

• Talk to him about it, ask to make up a time of day when u can talk, it could be each night at, say 10pm till you guys fall asleep. Let him game when he wants, trust me, its his passion, But don't think he likes it more then you. Cause thats not true, he might just think ur being unfair. so try and work something out, like a time for u guys to call. I strongly recommend before u go to sleep, cause then talking till one falls asleep is the best, you never know how long its gonna last. And i know LD relationships and REALLY hard, but good luck, and i hope you two can be happy for a while. :)

• The thing is I have talked about it several times he just says he is doing really good and can't stop. Then he says he will call me tomorrow and he never does.

• Yes to all of that. We said 9 pm because I have late classes and 9 is the best time. We went over this he just doesn't call. -_-

• Then if he doesn't call, or want to call, then yes, it is time to end things, cause it gets to point where enough is enough

• Is he the introvert type? If so that could be what is happening here, and the fact that it is long distance means this side of him maybe coming out again. Folks like to use labels like "video game addiction" or point the finger at something that everyone else demonizes. The solution maybe that this is just what he is normally like.

Also, long distance stuff is hard... it is very easy to lose sight of a relationship at this stage. The two of you may just be starting to drift apart.

• He is an extravert

• i might be reading your message incorrectly though

• I wish it was that simple. Its been 3 and a half years you'd think it would sound like a real relationship by now

• He's probably an addict. This is a problem I've seen many guys and girls face when their S/O is addcted to MMO's like WoW.

• Well what should I do?

• Give him an ultimatum. That's what they always come down to unfortunately. Check olganon. org for stories of people being addicted to MMORPGs who suffer your scenarios.

• let him enjoy his video-games why should he call you everyday? i'd feel the same.

• Keepig a long dostamce relationship is always difficult. Especially if both individuals are in college or working.
    My advice to you, let it happen dont tell him anything. at least for a week or two. If he doesn't reply to you or ask about the lack of talk. Then you hae our real
    Answer for your relationship. And from there you can look towards your future and see if its worth being with him.

• I am always surprised the option of "playing the multiplayer game with him" is not an option whenever these questions come up.

• We have different consoles. :/

• Lol guys get too wrapped up in these things. Like why would you get mad at your girlfriend for being a sucky player at a game they don't even like? I'm really good at Call of duty though

• In league, you hate everyone

• Just make him call with you everyday, It doesn't have to be a 30 minutes convo but I'm sure he can spend 10 minutes of his 14 hours (24 minus the sleep or something like that) to call his girlfriend..

• Yeah but he doesn't understand that. I tried everything and nothing works besides calling him but he gets mad when I call him.

• Well you don't know what you've got untill it's gone, I sure as hell can relate to that haha. I'm not trying to say you need to break up but you do have to make him clear that if he doesn't even can spend 10 minutes of his day on you that you might need to do some drastic things to get him to change his mind.

• yeah definitely i read a lot of these posts and you guys know guys better than I do.

• I'm a pretty hardcore nerd and a gamer, but honestly I can't see myself ignoring a girl for very long over a game. I might spend a couple of hours playing Minecraft or the new Borderlands game every now and then. But a lot of days I don't even play anything. So yeah, I think he's got a problem playing too many hours, has his priorities mixed up, and has shitty taste in games.

• How is the new borderlands?

• Like what?

• Lately just South Park, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, and Steven Universe.. Just finished Space Dandy and Attack on Titan a few weeks back. I like a lot of older cartoons too.

• this is one situation when I'd say you should tell him to just get the hell off his games and talk, there's no arguing or debating on which is more important,

I mean just let him know this is something that has to change

• Shitty priorities say a lot about someone. I love gaming myself, but geez... he isn't being very smart.

• Yeah I love it too but I don't have it take over my life It's like a side hobby. My relationship and school come before it.

• Video games are my solace from life. Video games would never reject you, cheat on you, or dump you. I would learn to except that. The issue I think is the long distance thing. I've learned from experience that they never work...

• Yeah long distance definitely grows people apart. And there is nothing wrong with loving video games it's just when you can't find time for your significant other then that's a problem.

• If he can't set a specific time when you guys will do something together, then yeah he has a problem though. Sounds like he can't be bothered to have a girlfriend if that is the case

• COD is lame. If it was Madden or NBA2K, I'd say give him a pass.

• Dump him 100% it's you always first, then what ever he does when your busy if he can't deal with it then dump him

• Do you know how fun COD is?

• ur just not that important to him

• 1st world problems... honest to god, there are children starving in Africa, and this is what you're complaining about... should be happy you even have a boyfriend, even if it is long distance

• Apples and oranges

• There is more to my situation than this I just didn't want to make it long. My problem is a lot worse than mentioned.

• Oh, really, tell me about it then, oh wise one... what other "problems" are there?

What Girls Said 3

• "we are doing a long distance relationship"

long distance relationships are not relationships. not slightly are and can be as serious as an actual relationship, unless/until the two meet each other.

you say he prefers COD over sex, what sex? video sex? that is jerking off. he can prefer COD over jerking off. that is normal.

you act like you're all over him in front of him and he still doesn't pay attention. let him play his game, and when he was horny enough to leave COD you can masturbate together.

take the whole situation easier.

• We've been dating for 2 and a half years and we went to high school together. We didn't meet online or anything and I visit him like twice a month.

• This is the most irrelevant opinion because you read something I was joking about instead of the actual serious things. We don't even have sex and if we do its when I visit. And I let him play his game but we set up a time every night where we talk for a few minutes about our day and whatnot and he never calls and when I call him he yells at me. So yeah I'm not gonna masturbate with anyone and I've been through this before with him but when I was actually in the same town with him and he chose video games over me every single time. He is just addicted and needs to get his priorities straight. I'm not a bad girlfriend or a bitchy needy one he and his family say I'm amazing but he is too lazy to try which is what he said and that's all.

• He should either call you when his not playing COD, or just don't message him..

• I had a long distance relationship 3 years ago, but he would be on phone to me whilst he was playing. Plus he would add me to the game online.

If he really wants to talk to you, he would make an effort.