When a guy says everything is fine does he really mean it?

I have a friends with benefits thing going on, but the lines are starting to get blurry. He takes me out to eat, cooks for me, spend multiple days together, is affectionate outside of sex, and confides in me. This past week he's been short with me over text and hasn't made an effort to see me like he normally does. I thought he might be mad at me, so I asked if everything was cool. He said everything was fine, but he's still not being that friendly. Could he just be busy or stressed? I don't want to ask him again if nothing is wrong, but I feel like he's acting weird.

Most Helpful Guy

• He could be feeling bothered by something at the moment but he doesn't want to talk about it. Either that or everything is really "fine".

The sad fact is that it is socially unacceptable for men to show their emotions and explain their problems to their women.

What Guys Said 3

• his entire pattern has changed? looks like things are not fine.

• everything's fine = leave me alone

mostly...

• eh, watch a comedy with him or something. I don't really know how to deal with men's pride.

What Girls Said 2

• It depends. He might be just saying it as a formality

• probably does not mean it.