Why is it so important for the guy to be taller than the girl?

This is a question that has been lingering in my mind for a while.

How come so many people are obsessed with the man being taller than the woman in a relationship? Some people even go as far as to make fun of tall women and short men, and often they outright refuse to date these people. I just don't understand.

I've been hearing "protection" a lot, but is this true? And if this is true, why is protection so important?

As @Mesonfielde pointed out, why don't you take self-defense classes or carry pepper spray?

And how come a taller man makes you feel protected? After all, tall does not automatically mean strong. I'm genuinely curious.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's actually quite simple, it's cultural indoctrination. People rationalize it saying "they want to feel protected", but that doesn't really make sense in today's context. In fact, if they truly wanted to feel protected, they'd take self-defense classes and buy pepper spray.

In reality, these girls also tend to claim that the "guy should be tall enough so that she can wear high heels and still stay shorter so that she will feel like a woman next to him". That is obviously not a biological concept, women aren't biologically designed to wear high heels (or in general, ever, at all; high heels are terrible for your feet).

So technically there seems to be some kind of sense of self-validation of an ideal that one learns to expect from a relationship. If that makes any sense. I don't know if that makes sense, I'm high on caffeine right now.

• I actually expected this question to pick up a bit more than it did. You should probably post an update just to bump it on the feed. Maybe people will notice.

• Glad you found that helpful!

• Don't forget to pick a female MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's completely ridiculous that society puts so much emphasis on this. I like tall guys and I like short guys too. The whole protection thing is fine but #1 just because a guy is small doesn't mean he can't protect you and #2 protection ultimately falls upon yourself.
    I brought up this concept of short guys with taller girls to a group of my friends and they all flipped out. They wouldn't even consider it. I think That's a really great way to pass up on lots of amazing men.

• thank you!!!

• Thanks for mh. 💚

• It's pretty weird that your friends reacted so adversely to the idea.

You hit the nail on the head. I would have given you MHO sooner, but I kinda drowned in the notifications due to the massive storm of opinions and comments.

What Guys Said 56

• I think it's natural instinct. There are certain easily recognizable traits associated with males and females, and we are instinctively attracted to those traits.

There are some traits that are learned, like hair length for example. In most cultures short hair or long hair are a very quick initial clue to the person's gender. From a distance we can recognize that even faster than height and overall size.

Height, breasts, facial hair, hips, overall size, pitch of voice. These are all natural traits associated with gender. Hair length, makeup, clothes, maybe mannerisms, are learned traits. Both the natural and learned traits combine to identify the gender. We are attracted to the opposite gender, and so we are attracted to some combination of those traits, both learned and natural traits.

• 1) Tallness in men is so ingrained into our society as a desirable trait that it has became a status symbol that men strive to achieve and women strive to be with. It's almost identical to how the Western standard of beauty in females is based off of European features, which makes men gravitate to women with such features while at the same time making women desire to be as such. Humans apparently have a knack to either want to be the status symbol or at least be associated with it.

2. Tallness is a masculine trait that gives off the appearance of dominance which I guess is an appearance that makes many women's panties wet. This goes hand in hand with the "Bad Boy" image. The bad boy and the tall guy both possess traits that makes them come off as very dominating which some women loves.

3. Society has conditioned everyone to automatically think that the man MUST be taller then the women at ALL TIMES. This is so ingrained in us that it has become the status quo or the standard. Since deviating from the standard will result in mockery and judgement from others; people just simply follow it. That's why you see so many questions online from girls asking whether they should date this particular short guy or not, as if they need the consent of society (us) in order to deviate from the norm

• Height is associated with with power and strength. not saying it is true by any means, but I think this is how many women see it- and even the professional world.

My old flatmate always hated going out with me to meet ladies because he was 5'6 and I am 6'3. Even though he could beat my ass- not that I was not stronger than him, or he was really buff- but he actually knew how to fight and I am a pretty gentle guy lol anyway, almost every time girls would go after me over him, even though I think if you were to just look at us without knowing our heights, he was waaaaaay more classically handsome than I am! Girls have always told me they feel safe with me and like feeling little. Sure it is wrong and all, but who are we to say girls can't have preferences?

Just as guys usually prefer not to date fat girls? Is it mean or wrong? absolutely- but they are entitled to their preferences in the end

Just to clarify, I actually usually date taller girls 5'6ish and up (another thing my flatmate was always ticked about, the girls I dated and hence came around were always taller than him lol) so I don't really fall in with guys who like having a smaller, petite girl around.

• Fat women can change their weights, dude.

I'm 5'7, but I refuse to lose out to a taller man. They either choose me, or no one.

• Nah, I'm not settling for a short girl or etc. I'm going to have my pick of the women I want, not just one type. I could care less if taller women want a taller guy.

• @TheSpartan don't give up, I've dated taller women, and if people want to hate on that, they can fuck off

• Probably an egoism thing where a man needs to feel like as if he's bringing something to the relationship.
    Think about it.
    Traditionally , men had been the breadwinner , the homemaker , the "protector of the house".
    However , with the rise of the women's right movement. Women also bring bread to the house. Men are no longer the sole breadwinner or the homemaker. Now the last feature that a man traditionally can bring to the house is being the "protector".
    Remove that , what unique feature can a man bring that a woman can't?

Ergo the "emasculating" feeling and the whole "feel like a man" sensation. It's probably on the way out tho.

Humans as a species is walking away from the animalistic brute that is defined but elements that is beyond the consciousness's control.
    Less so biological determinism of... oh you're born so and so , therefore you must act so and so but more so defined by what you want to be. Some people may find that freedom scary or... "unnatural". However , I say those people are just slaves to their flesh instead of being master of it. Cos after all , that's what being human is about. Control.

• You know... college is a real occupation hazard. I bet I can write an essay about... toilet bowls if I want to now.

• ""Remove that , what unique feature can a man bring that a woman can't?""

Typically, a penis. Lol.

Beyond that, what matters if that you're a worthwhile individual, but physical attraction and physical sex in general is something that you get from dating the right male (as a female). But that doesn't mean heterosexuality is a farce just because gender roles are becoming obsolete.

• I've dated taller women and didn't give a shit, i think women care about height more than men do.

• So that he can look down in her cleavage?

Seriously though, I think it is just because the average height of men is taller than the average height of women. So if you throw people together randomly, the average couple would have the guy taller than the girls. so that is what we are used to and expect.

• I don't find it all important to be taller than women. I just find it important to protect the woman, regardless of my height to her.

• It's to do with protection. As a short man into lifting weights, boxing, MMA etc. I know that tall doesn't automatically = strong, everyone I've fought has been taller than me and while I'm no superman I've won more than I've lost. The same goes for big muscles, plenty of bodybuilders look tough but couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. It's probably a subconscious thing.

As for the importance of protection, again I think it's subconscious. We don't choose things we find attractive based entirely on logic. Society has advanced a lot faster than we've evolved, in more dangerous times protection especially by men was necessary for survival, and I'd even argue that it still is. You can't rely on police all the time, they aren't always there to protect you. I encourage all women to learn self-defence, however a trained woman 99.9% of the time is no match for a trained man since we generally have the size and strength advantage as well as denser bone structure giving us the advantage of being less likely to sustain injury.

• Maybe women like tall guys? I'm not sure.

Reminds me of this though:

http://i.imgur.com/o6snO1v.jpg

• Evolutionary psychology.
    A tall guy makes a girl feel safer than a shorter guy, just on a purely biological level.
    The same way that big tits and birthing hips is associated with fertility. Even if the guy doesn't want kids, we still have that internal response because of the psychology of our ancestors.
    It's not right or wrong. It just IS

• Everyone loves big titties

• Aaaass and Titties! Ass Ass and Titties!
      Aaaaass and Titties. Ass ass!

@pinkfg

• The Netherlands has one of the highest distributions of tall people. Your country would be obsessed. If the woman is secure with herself, she shouldn't HAVE to date men taller than her.

Nevertheless, it should not matter. I've known short dudes who are successful who only date women taller than them. It's seen around all the time. Yes, it can be striking and it's awesome. Some women just have to make due with the other components for what they want in a mate.

The small, frigid dames who want to paint the guy they date as a knight and then inflame a situation because they want them to be their protector can do harm at times.

From heart problems, the body having to work harder to pump blood. Or bone density, where limbs can be over strained when too long. Being tall isn't always practical. The human body is slowly adapting when presented with inching either up or out from obesity, our species is what we make of it.

• yes!!! tall people are more likely to have heart disease, cancer, and they die earlier

• Luckily, folic acid in one's diet among other things can help with DNA repair, which if there's a misprint during replication in cells, it can lead to unregulated growth, where cancer usually arises. Coffee can help with heart disease as well. "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates.

• I don't mind. I actually want a woman who is taller than me.

• Timeless social construct that men protect women

• Also to bang while smelling hair?

• Ideally I would like to bang a girl my height, I prefer to look into her eyes while we make love, you can't really do that when s girl is way shorter than you. But I don't care about height tbh, I've dated girls that were short and I've dated girls that were up to 4 inches taller than me.

• I haven't know many men who have insisted that their woman be shorter than they are. I've known many men who get upset when women claim to like tall men, but I haven't personally known any men who insist their girl be shorter.

I have personally known a few women who say they prefer taller men. Usually the answer they give is they feel he is more manly and they feel protected.

• I think it's something in the biological imperative that men must protect women. We're talking deep mind, subconscious stuff this need men have to protect women and women to feel "safe". I've dated a woman taller than me, but then again I'm 6 foot even she stood at least 5 inches over me, but would also wear heels so she towered over everyone. I certainly don't think about how tall a potential mate is, but I know a lot of women ask about height in online profiles.

• Because society likes to build up all these expectations of how things should be and make people feel like shit and conform.

• I think you need to ask women this more then anything.
    although, i would not date a woman that was taller then me. but i am 6' 3". I don't think I would have an issue with it if I was short.

• I think it's just because men feel like they want to be able to be the protector of the family, and height usually provides more strength or intimidation or whatever. It's instinctual, really.

• It's cultural conditioning. The "protection" thing is complete horseshit. Ed Coan was probably one of the strongest men alive, and he was 5'6. Louis Cyr was the strongest man in history, and he was 5'9. Paul Anderson was only 5'10 when he squatted 1,200 lbs. Hell, Lamar Gant was 5'2 and 135 lbs when he deadlifted 688 lbs in training.

I'm 5'7, and I very rarely see other men lifting more than me at my university gym.

• How do you explain the fact that we notice this preference for larger males in other apes?

Are you suggesting there is absolutely positively no correlation whatsoever between the size of an organism and its physical strength?

• I know of two powerlifters whom are similiar in that matter: Richard Hawthorne and Lamar Gant. Both were around 130-140 lbs or 55-60 kg and could deadlift about 700 lbs or 330 kg.

• yep, tells you, you don't have to be big to be strong

• i wanna know the answer too... then again, i doubt i'll have this problem considering i don't know how many girls are taller than 6'3.

• Man, I was supposed to be 6'3, doctors told my parents that I was gonna be the tallest man in the family, then I had to ruin it by taking accutane , which stunted my growth

• it's like the people who say coffee stunts your growth. i drank it since 7th grade before school since i didn't have the stomach to eat breakfast. i didn't suffer from height.

• well, the doctors measured my bones at 2, which is the most accurate way of predicting height, so I don' t think he was wrong. The doctors also saw evidence of premature plate closure, which is proof of stunted growth, so was I suppose to be 6'3 maybe, maybe not, but i know I was suppose to be at least close to that height

• I don't mind with taller girls, I can date them with full confidence 😎

• well, i am a regular sized guy at 5'11'' and i personally know guys much shorter than me who can kick my ass real bad and those at 6'3'' whom i can easily beat up. The correlation of size and strength is absolutely bs. Its an overrated thing, look at tom cruise, he was 5'6'' or sth and he probably looks younger than me at 55 lol. We generally have a knack of pulling down others to uplift our own egos, its sick but thats how we work.

• Another generalization done by people! Like why do you even think that the guy you're with will get into you or himself in trouble and you'd want him to protect you? Its clearly stating that women are weak? To what I've seen here, guys with short height are dating taller girls because they seem to be smart, intellectual type or possibly rich so women don't mind dating these men. But yeah for me I'd definitely want a taller girl to break this stereotyping or whatever this is :p

• Men are taller than women, which is why both men and women prefer such acombination.

• I'm 5'6 and would feel like i'm the shortest guy at the bar. I used to be concerned by my height, but now I just don't give one single fuck, cause that's me and that's how i am. I don't have to be tall to "protect" my girl.

• I'm 6'3" and have never gotten a girlfriend, girls chose guys shorter than themselves over me. If this tall fact was true women should of been fighting over me as I'm taller than 99% of them.

• I do not see it from the "feel secure" perspective. In my mind, it just looks much more romantic if the girl looks UP to the guy when standing up. It is just so much more romantic when you hug and her head rests on your chest. It is so much more romantic when she has to tippy-toe to reach the guys lips to kiss him.

• I personally think what's more romantic is if you don't have to tiptoe or anything but you can just makeout without having to do all kinds of weird things to be in a line :P

• @Eric644 that's fine FOR YOU if that's what you like.

• there are also many men who feel the same way.

• because women are only attracted to dominant alpha males. height and physicality are important elements of masculine status.

• dude, this isn't the stone age anymore. We are not supposed to dominate, women are human beings and deserve respect, you are the type of guy that i can see force his woman to stay at home and clean his messes and beat her up if she questions him, this is the type of mentality of men who claim to be about being "Alpha", they end up being wife beaters. Npw days being alpha is all about confidence and most true alpha men don't even mention being alpha

• not true, real alpha males are confident enough that they don't have to brag about being alpha. I agree with you on #1 in today's world being alpha is about sophistication, wealth, and intellect and less so about being big or tall, that was an older age

• @Eric644 it's not bragging it's just me saying what is true - no less true than the fact my username is the_rake or the fact the sky is blue. i don't need to remind myself of my status as a genuine authentic alpha male because i already know it to be true. but if someone asks me i will kindly confirm for them that it is indeed a highly dominant, masculine that they happen to be talking to. it's just there as a fact.

yes, those things are very much important in the 21st century but physicality will emphasise a real man's high status attributes.

• I think it has to do with how we view ourselves. Some women do not feel right dating a man who is shorter than she is. Men feel like they are less of a man, because the woman is viewed as the alpha in the relationship. Personally I do not care if the woman is taller than me. Love comes in all shapes and sizes.

• For some reason a part of me as a male wants to be able to look after the girl. And her being physically shorter sort of adds to that and you feel more like you are needed to protect her from whatever. But that's just me anyways, I seem to fall for shorter girls anyways. Even though tall is kinda hot

• It's weird. Personally I'd love to date a girl taller than me

• More from Guys
    26

What Girls Said 30

• Why is it so important for the guy to be taller than the girl?
    In my opinion it is most likely attraction with taller bodies being more appealing. Little different from how it is so important for the gal to be younger than the guy due to attraction. Many guys will give bs rationalizations for their shallowness like fertility despite the no to low inclination to procreate. Just like many gals will give the bs rationalization of protection despite modern society staggering decline in physical threats.

ve been hearing "protection" a lot, but is this true?
    It is likely a true aspect but not the core reason. No different than fertility is a true aspect of preferring younger but the core reason is younger gals being more attractive.

And if this is true, why is protection so important?
    Probably because of traditional gender roles viewing males as protectors. Plus gals probably want to feel safe and secure arounnd their partner.

Because such gals want their partner to protect them. Protection is a trait sought in the partner. Mesonfielde rationale for me is like a gal saying 'I want attractiveness in a partner because it gets me wet' and his response is 'why do you get yourself wet'.

And how come a taller man makes you feel protected? After all, tall does not automatically mean strong.
    Perception. No different than how young does not automatically mean fertile yet guys cling to that as a bs rationalization for picking younger gals.

• I'm not sure. Height isn't something I care about. I'm pretty tall so most guys are shorter than me and I don't see the big deal with height, tbh

• I know that the height of a man or even his muscle mass doesn't mean he is capable of protecting someone but it does give that impression. If you're on the street & an attacker sees you by yourself looking vulnerable he might take that opportunity to approach you now if a man comes along much bigger than him & looks much stronger he might back down, if a man comes along & looks scrawny & weak then he might take that risk. So if you have a bigger guy it's natural to feel safer with him because he's quite intimidating. I've had creepy men stare me down & my 6ft 300lb dad scares them off. Now for me I'm very short. I'm 5'1" and only weigh 105 lbs. Most people I run into on the street are taller than me even if they're shorter than the average height. So I've just developed a taste for taller guys but that doesn't mean they have to necessarily be tall they just need to be bigger than I am because I enjoy the contrast in height.

• I don't think it's important at all.

• My reason is... it makes me feel feminine when the guy is taller. Naturally I also just feel more attracted and drawn to it. Similarly as to how I'm more drawn to guys with brunette hair and brown eyes. But I guess if I had to target a specific reason it would be cause I feel feminine having the guy be taller than me.

• I can agree with that lol

• Yeah it's not a big deal I have some friends that are shorter than me though that say they would only date 6'0 and over "I told them to stop being ridiculous you are on the freaking ground everyone is taller than you." Now if you're 5'10 or even 5'7 then it's fine to want a 6'0 guy. Honestly though why would a 4'11 girl even want a 6'2 guy. Tall girls want a taller guy too. The problem only comes when extremely short girls date extremely tall men. If everyone dated within their relative height range we wouldn't have short guys upset or tall girls upset. The short guys would get the shorter girls because they would most likely still be taller than the short girl. (I think short for a guy is like 5'4 or 5'6 I'm not really sure) Also the tall girls would get the taller guys and the guy would be still be taller than that tall girl. (I think tall for a girl is like 5'9 and up but I could be wrong)

• Then after that you only have the cases in which women want a man shorter than them and the cases in which men want a woman taller than them. They would probably be a small group but within that group they could find someone they wanted. Also please Eric guy don't come trying to kill me with your studies lol :)

• Funny thing about "protection, " it is a perceived thing.

I went into a series of haunted houses at a theme park with my 6'3" boyfriend, and if I was near him or touching him the "ghouls" left me alone. When I wandered away, they jumped at me. They never even approached him at all. Like it or not, the perception is that taller guys are not to be messed with.

The truth is, he hates those things and only went in to make me happy. He wouldn't hurt a fly.

• Sounds like me. I am 6'3 and I have never been bullied or harassed on the street. One time some guys were trying to pick a fight with my group on a night out, I stepped up and joined them and they just left me alone and left- which is funny as I am super gentle and non violent- I wouldn't even know how begin to defend myself lol

• It seems a lot of people are struggling with the concept of perception as opposed to actually being safe. Indeed a firearm is the great equalizer, but firearms have existed for only a thousand years or so.

2 million years ago on the African veldt, there was indeed a very direct correlation between size and athletic ability. It may well be that this was ingrained in our mating preferences through evolution. This is quite possibly why we see it in our apish cousins. And yet a few people still believe that it being a social construct is the only possible explanation (certainly the most politically correct one). The nature of evolution isn't obliged to be politically correct.

• Increased height is a sign of increased dominance. It is a primitive instinct for females to search for the mate who can defend her and/or the clan and produce viable offspring. When early humans were still evolving in the grasslands of Africa, predators often preyed upon them. It was essential for humans to be taller than the grass for visibility and to have longer legs for faster running. However, increased height is not only a large factor in dating - it is a significant detail in leaders and executives. The majority of all global leaders and those in important executive positions tend to be above 6'0

Just as men want a woman with a great face and a porn-star quality body (large breasts are a sign of fertility) to produce healthy offspring, women want a man who can defend and protect her and/or the tribe. Height on a man is like breasts on a woman, essentially.

• It's not important at all, only conservative people think that's a very important thing.

• I don't fucking know. Honestly, I'm short myself so I'm usually attracted to guys near my height, not towering above me. As for the protection thing, shorter height does not mean a guy is incapable of "protecting" his girl or whatever. Sexual attraction isn't exactly logical.

• The reason I am attracted to tall and large guys it s because they are the complete opposite of what I am (1.62 and 49kg). So yea I guess i am drawn to what I don t have (opposites attract anw no?).
    Also, I guess for me it s a dominance thing. It s overwhelming when he s all over you. You get the feeling he can do whatever he wants with you.

• Ha, thanks @mesonfielde

Well, having just read a couple of studies it does appear, as I suspected, to be a mix of cultural and instinctual reasoning and influence. We have to take into account though that preferences are dependent on your own height and that there is a cut off whereby a man will be too tall. There has been evidence to suggest that taller men are healthier and on average experience more sexual success than men who are shorter (although it's average height men who are making the babies, not the tall ones). It has been shown that men prefer an average height woman but that "short" is not a preference, only shorter than them.

There was an interesting side study which I think is worth mentioning. There was a study done with regards to gay men and height preference. With a gay relationship it suggests that for the most part one partner will be the dominant and the other the submissive, and that these traits were manifested in the preference for a tall or shorter partner. With the case of an egalitarian preference toward the relationship dynamic there seemed to be little height preference, showing it wasn't important. So... this leads me to conclude that a woman who wants a more traditional dynamic of a dominant man and more submissive partner (this is with regards to interactions and not necessarily sex) will find taller men attractive and a man who prefers a more submissive female will prefer a shorter woman. Of course, there are a whole host of other avenues which we could go into, but I just thought these were worth mentioning.

• ""With the case of an egalitarian preference toward the relationship dynamic there seemed to be little height preference, showing it wasn't important.""

That would explain a LOT, not even in just homosexual couplings.

• If we think in total generalisations it seems to have some truth to it, or some logic at least. @mesonfielde

• Just because... OK!!!

• that's your argument!!! Really!!! Just because!!!

• lol, well I guess I kinda look like that profile pic.

• I respect everyone : Race, Young, Old, Short and Tall. For me personally I like a guy who is either has the same height as I or a bit taller. My reasons though are because I wanna be looking on the same level or upwards , never below. Its more of a preference really.

• I just like tall men. There's nothing special to it. I don't care about what anyone else does in their dating life.

• For me it's not. For some girls height equals safety tho.

• because many see it as more masculine, stronger, dominate. which is silly, really.

• because its hot when the guy is tall. Just like its hot if a guy has big muscles and brooding eyes and a sharp jawline.

• So you're saying women want Batman?

Joking aside, I was wondering why people find it hot. Is there a particular reason you like tall men?

• @asiag299
      Thank you :) i don't really have a problem when it comes to dating tbh I just find it curious why many women won't even look at a guy if he isn't 6ft even if they might be attracted to him (they won't admit it). I really don't care about height, I've dated girls as short as 5'2
      And as tall as 5'11, but I do have to admit when your 5'7 you do have to work harder than the guys that are as good looking than you and are like 6'2 lol

• @Eric644 I can agree with that I like guys taller than me but it isn't a requirement for them to be 6'0 in the end it should boil down to over all compatibility and personality. Although you could argue that compatibility includes attraction in which case some girls aren't attracted to guys shorter than them. I see know problem with dating a man shorter than you it doesn't look bad in most cases I praise the guy for being able to handle a taller woman without feeling inferior or letting that hold them back from love the same goes for the woman. I really only look at couples crazy when one is really tall and the other is really short. All I can think about is the hassle involved with that relationship. Even still it's not my place to judge so I glance and then mind my own business. I will say that your use of case studies in debates is annoying but the fact that you can date a woman taller than you and still feel good is amazing so I'm sure your future/current girlfriend will be very happy! :)

• Because girls liked to lean on their boyfriend's shoulders and its just a traditional thing that the man has to look more powerful

• It's a traditional thing that is stupid and needs to change. Usually I like my girl to be huggable and I don't want to bend down to hug her, eye level is best, but I've dated both taller and shorter girls and frankly could care less

• I guess everyone has their own opinion. many men like their girls taller tho :)

• I dont think people should worry about height, although I've said eyelevel is best, I've dated both shorter and taller women. I think this whole height requirement thing is a traditional thing and like most traditional things (looking down on single mothers, condeming people who have premarital sex, unacceptance of gay people) needs to go away

• For me it makes me feel secure, knowing that my partner is taller. If I wear footwear that is high I expect the guy to be taller than me still. As I'm 5.6" and wear minimum height of shoes of 2". As well as this I find men who are tall attractive anyway.

• so if a guy was smart, strong, and you may find him attractive, you would still pass on him because he is not tall. Shame on you!!!

• its a stupid preference, by having a height requirement you eliminate many good guys out there who you could even be attracted too. Stop caring what society thinks, i understand that women are scared of being ridiculed by their girlfriends for not choosing a tall guy, but in the end you need to stop worrying about that and not pass on a guy that could be wonderful because he wasn't a certain height.

• as you get older and become more mature, i guess you will understand that being hung up on things like that is not right

• I think it takes us back to our primal instincts. Where men are supposed to protect women and in order to do so they have to be taller.

But nowadays is it really necessary? I don't think so.
    For me it used to be important, but now I wouldn't dismiss a guy on his height only.

• It's funny, because guys like to say that girls are the reason that they don't date us tall girls, (I'm 6'0 tall) but I have never had an issue with being attracted to shorter guys. They are always the ones saying they couldn't date someone taller than them.

• what!!! I think it's women who care about height not men. Many men won't date taller girls because they think the taller girl will reject them because they are shorter.

• @Eric644 thank you! And honestly I think there are a lot of guys that actually feel that way, but on their end as well they've been told that they need to be taller than the woman. I've had some guys that have been really aggressive towards me just because I'm tall, calling me names and such, but I know that all of that is just insecurities on their own part speaking so I just block it out.

• yeah, you don't have to deal with that crap, there are a lot of guys that are gentleman and that love tall women, they are like you said, insecure. And other women who pick on you are just jealous. Be proud of being who you are, like I said, i love tall women, many girls I've dated have been taller than me and I don't give a damn. people who gave us dirty looks could, pardon my French, fuck off

• I don't know why it's "so important" but I like slow dancing with a taller man.

• It's just another symbol of dominance over the female.

• that's just biology really

• nope it's society

• @Eric644 Okie dokie thanks for the advice :)

• @asiag299
      no problem :)

• Because... I don't want him to like hugging me because so he can bury his face between my boobs o. O

• maybe because it's always been common

• Maybe a sense of security.

• Gender roles

• I had always thought that it was important but now I'm like half an inch taller than this guy that I have feelings for and it actually doesn't bother me. So I don't know.

• That actually seems to verify what I said. It's like growing up thinking women should be "fragile".

• Yeah, that would make sense bc ever sense I could first understand guys and girls being together, I had thought guy of it that way. I'm 17 now and my way of thinking has changed.

• Realizing certain societal constructs are lies is part of growing up :D

• Because people have preferences.

• it's a stupid preference if you ask me

• Some people have a preference for genital mutilation and still call it just a "Preference", so it's better to know where it came from and why it is there :P