I made my boyfriend cry for the first time? Instagram is ruining my relationship? Am I overreacting?

So I've been dating with this guy for 5 months now. He's 21, I'm 20. He recently invited me to his dad's birthday and introduced me to his parents. It all went amazing and when we got back to his place, I felt for the first time since we've known each other that this thing we have is going to last for a long time. So we were going to sleep and I was scrolling through Instagram. I saw that he had added a photo of him (some photoshoot with his band, only he was on the picture) before the birthday and there were many girls commenting it. One girl just put an emoji: 👍🏽 (thumb) and he answered to her with a kiss emoji (😘). When I saw the kiss emoji which my boyfriend wrote, I immediately was like what the hell? He was lying next to me and he laughed at it and said it's nothing special, said that the girl commenting him studies at the same course in university as him. So, I was feeling really bad about it and didn't talk to him for 15 minutes or so. All this time he was trying to hug me and tell me it's nothing, but I just felt how my eyes got teary. I went to the other room and cried. I have been crying in front of him before thet only one time, which was about totally different thing. So he came to the other room and hugged me again and asked what's wrong, that he didn't really meant anything with this emoji. I told him that I've been so stupid all this time and that I probably imagined more of the relationship than him. He just got silent and I heard him start sobbing, for the first time ever. So basically we were both crying there and I went back to bedroom. I was up for like an hour and he still didn't come back to bed. I went back to the other room and he was just laying there, I asked why he didn't come back to bed and he answered "I don't know". So soon he came back to bed and we didn't say a word to each other... Continues in Update...

Continues... So, I couldn't sleep because of this argument, and sat on the edge of the bed. He asked what am I thinking about and I told him that maybe we should just end this thing. He didn't answer anything, I just heard how his tears fell on the blanket! I felt so horrible. He told me that he feels like I deserve someone better than him, also that he feels like this won't be the last time he makes me cry. I told him not to say it just to make me feel better. He said he trully means this.
So I told him that I wouldn't be with him if I thought that I deserve better than him. He started hugging me again and it was sooooo sad to see him like this. I asked him if he wanted to end this and he said no. But then why did he say that I deserve someone better? I just don't understand. I said that I don't want to lose him too and he's the best I've ever had. But after this fight I still feel so bad about making him cry.. :( He is such a sweet person, am I overreacting about this IG thing?

Most Helpful Guy

• You started crying over an emoticon on a social media platform.

Think about that for a second.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like everyone says their partner deserves someone better, and I hate it- if you treat someone as best as you can you're a great partner. I get how you feel, I use to analyze my ex's instagram comments and its true instagram and emojis have a whole other meaning and I'm not being dramatic- but the way I see it, not just everyone sends a kiss face especially to girls theyre not dating- it sends the wrong signal. Guys will do it to guys as jokes and girls will do it to girls.. but its not really the opposite sex, I would never send one to a man if I was taken.. and hard to say what the situation is really. I;m not saying he's cheating on you at all, but maybe he likes other attention too which sucks. In my last relationship I confronted my boyfriend about the girl who kept commenting on his pictures and posting hearts etc.. and turns out he was hanging out with her a lot more than I even knew.

What Guys Said 12

• you are definitely overreacting. he literally hit a button on a phone that makes a face. he didn't hit no her, he didn't flirt with her, he didn't proposition her, he didn't disrespect you, he literally used his phone to make a face.

don't let social media and the modern silliness of it ruin your relationship

• Social media is just a tool to connect. It's not the social media itself that ruins relationships.

• no you're right. it doesn't ruin relationships people let social media influence them to ruin their relationships.

• Sounds like you guys really care about each other but you got some huge trust issues. Based on his reactions I think he's telling the truth when he said the emoticons meant nothing. Yes you definitely over reacted. You guys need to just breath for a little while get your shit together and then calmly talk to each other about what is bothering each of you.

• You two are a couple of fucking pussies, crying over emojis and shit. I'm surprised you've even made it past 5 months.

• Yeah, you're kind of overreacting. It's ok just move forward from here.

• Perfect bliss... And then the emoticon happened. But wow, the drama...

• What everyone else said on here cause I am too lazy to read lol.

• Guy wrote a single kiss emoji as a reply to some girl who liked his photo, she freaked out about it did silent treatment for 15 minutes then burst out crying for the rest of the night.

• This is the stupidest shit I ever read. You're upset over an emoticon? Fuck 2016, man. I hate what my generation has become.

• Your boyfriend sounds like a little bitch, as do you.

• I'm all for guys expressing their emotions, but this is one of those times where he needs to man the fuck up.

• Way over reaction by both of you. Likely the comment icon he made did mean nothing, and you over reacted to it and shut him down.
    Time for both to grow up a little. Be honest. Share your feelings and insecurities.

• A boyfriend crying? ... no, he's out of the team.

• And that's why I pump and dump. Women aren't worth the headache for more.

Christ, that guy is a Pussy. He should have put you in your place for being an insecure psycho bitch.

• I don't think you should be in a relationship considering how immature you are.

What Girls Said 7

• guys hate hurting the girl they love, even if the reason that cause her to hurt was as silly as in ur case (silly meaning minor; Id also be a bit jeaous, but id understand it was a playful thing). Tbh I think you have a keeper. He cried to the thought of u 2 breaking up, he tried to comfort u still (even if u overreacted on him) and he didn't ignore u.

The guy is gold. Just try to reign in ur insecurities and all will be fine. Go to him, apologise, tell him u love him and make up ;)

• Jesus christ, all of this because of an emoticon? Honestly, get a grip. Like @Mesonfielde said, think about that for a second.

• It's just an emoji. If he was cheating or something then fine but do you really want to lose this guy over an emoji on instagram? Come on now.

• Yeah! Why did I login again? seriously? Dude! use common sense!

• I personally think you completely overreacted. That specific emoticon can be used as a "thank you" type thing that means absolutely nothing. Silent treatment sucks and that is what causes trouble. I think you shouldve been mature and told him what you thought the face meant and listened to what he thought the face meant. Take his word for it. Relationships need trust! You broke his heart by trying to end a relationship over a FACE? Come on now, that is pretty messed up. I think you need to apologize and make up for it because that was a pretty shitty thing to do. Asking for a break up is serious, you probably just took away a lot of his confidence in your relationship by blowing this all way out of proportion. Tell him he is the best you have ever had and seriously try to control your jealousy in the future. Him saying you deserve better is because you made him feel like shit okay? You made him feel not good enough and like he made a giant mistake. Dont make a good guy miserable.

• WTF? You are hell overreacting gurll!

• You both sound fucked up