Would you date someone that has different political views?

It's election season and we seem to be more polarized then ever so I thought I'd ask. How important is it that your partner / potential partner shares the same political views you you? Would you date someone that has different political views from yourself?

• Yes I don't care about polotics
  • Yes as long as he/ she doesn't judge my views
  • Yes but we need to have some common ground
  • Yes but there are a few viewpoints that I won't tolerate ( Please specify )
  • Yes but we cannot talk about it because I want to prevent potential arguments.
  • No It's a deal breaker
  • Unsure/ other ( Please specify)

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as they respect my belief and don't start arguements, I'd do the same and it wouldn't matter to me if we disagree. I just wouldn't want to fight with the person about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• i don't care as long as she isn't stupid about it and can form her own opinions instead of listening to the cookie cutter rhetoric that each party spews out of their buttholes

• This is how i feel word for word. I want to hear how SHE feels about things not what she read off some meme.

What Girls Said 18

• Long term? Probably not. I have fairly strong beliefs and values which leads to me having strong political viewpoints. So, if a guy had different political beliefs, we would probably be too incompatible for the relationship to work because it's likely that we wouldn't agree on much of anything.

• as a pansexual, liberal-minded woman who hates doing housework and doesn't want any kids, i'm every conservative man's nightmare. lol.

that's not to say that it *couldn't* work... because it could (as long as he didn't stomp all over my beliefs, i'd return the favour).

• I think it would depend on what view they upheld. To go with the party system, even though it's very... vague, I would probably date someone who sided with the Lib Dems, would consider dating someone who sided with the Conservatives even though I personally think that that's a ridiculous idea, but would never date someone who voted for UKIP.

• Do you dislike the UKIP more for their stance on immigration or because their anti EU? American by the way ( Don't have the best understanding of UK politics)

• I dislike UKIP for their stance on immigration and their anti-EU policies, though I also dislike them for comments made against gay people (such as the idea that homosexuality caused the floods we had here recently. Seeing as I'm bi, you can see why I'd dislike them for that), though it's true that UKIP as the party is not running to abolish gay marriage. UKIP members have also commented on transgender people saying they deserve to be placed in camps and it's no secret that UKIP is considered to be a pretty racist party.

But yeah, putting aside my feelings on how they regard people, I also just don't think that their anti-EU policies are a great idea.

• that seems like it would be a really difficult relationship anyways if not impossible. Makes sense.

• Depends on the views. My boyfriend and I differ on how we prioritize some of our political values, but we agree on the fundamental principals that matter most and he's not super opinionated or political so we don't get into heated discussions about it even though I am very into politics.

I think it's easier being Canadian though, since most of us are pretty moderate in our views, and our party leaders tend to be pretty moderate. They just have different visions for how to get the best results. In the end, most Canadians all want the same thing which is to be safe and able to pursue a good life for ourselves.

• We have some crazy social conservatives and crazy ultra left wing nutters but they're on the fringes of our political discourse. The main difference between our country and the US is that because we have a multi party system I think that keeps our parties from pandering as much to the fringe elements in their bases. In the states, both parties pander, but the Republicans are definitely worse for it.

• What's your opinion on Justin Trudeau? I personalty hold strong views from the left and Right but a small federal government kind of guy. As far as pandering is concerned when it comes to Republicans and Democrats it's tied. At this point these guys are willing to say whatever it takes to get their bases fired up. I've never seen the country so polarized in my entire life.

• personally*

• i would, AS LONG as they don't sit there talking to me about politics all the time. Im not that interested.

• I draw the line at extremists and people who are not interested in their nation. I am a patriot (not a nazi though!) and I want someone who values their homeland as well. By interested I mean they at least go to vote and when voting, they favor those politicians that are patriots too. I also prefer people that are more open to discussion and are able to carry on a respectful conversation.

• Yes, as long as he isn't an extremist, and is respectful of my own political views.

• Where does politics come in here unless he/she is a holder of a political office which means you will have to support a party or an ideology you are against? As long as you can be mature and respectful of each other's differing views I don't see why not.

• I don't care. Unless it morally wrong.

• The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options are all kind of necessary if that situation would work out.

• I'm married and the guy is as Progressive and Liberal as I am!

I care a lot about Politics and love to debate so if we were on opposite ends of the spectrum on big issues no one would ever come to dinner parties at our house -lol.

• I'm a liberal intersectional feminist who doesn't want kids and sucks at cooking and cleaning. The question is more: would a conservative guy even want to date me in the first place?

• As long as he's not a jerk about it, it doesn't matter to me

• No I would never date a libtard

• I would yes but with some limitations.. If he were a Trump supporter for example I'd never even consider being with him.

• Compatibility is really important to me. Political views are often a very good indicator of values, world-views, and character. I don't think most people care much about political views, because politics is frustrating and its common for most people to take pride in not caring about these things. But I honestly don't understand that, on a personal level, looking at a love interest and potential partner. It's a huge turn off when I find out that a "crush" has certain views. Who you are as a person, how you view other people, government systems, social justice issues - all of this matters to me A LOT. I can't stress that enough.

Having said that, I'm far more political than the average person, and these topics of politics, history, socio-economics, etc. come up in my daily life. You can imagine how exhausting that would be, if we two had significantly different views. I think even being supportive of a partner could be difficult, if their careers overlap into politics and controversial topics, on which they disagree. Add to that the possibility of being very serious and eventually being married and having a family together - and its definitely a NO for me.

I can see the beauty in not caring about views, to an extent. However, once to you analyze the psychological factors that go into the formation of certain opinions and world views, those views become indicative of a lot of things about a person. It's just impossible for me to not care about it.

On the other hand, I know its hard out here to find anything really worth your time, so I get it if you're trying to maximize your options of finding love. Life's hard.

• I really wouldn't care , It's just an opinion. But if it's based on religious reasons it could be a problem , If you're just dating. No Problem.

• Yes there is nothing wrong if there is a difference of opinion in a relationship. keep your relationship out of all these things.

What Guys Said 18

• I am currently in such a relationship. Yes, she forms her own views, as she is an extremely intelligent lady, She is a recently retired judge. We occasionally discuss politics, as we both once worked in our state legislature, but we never engage in name calling and we never say that the other is wrong. We simply agree that we disagree and that it is a subject upon which reasonable people can disagree.

• On social issues she would have to be a leftist, NOT a neo leftist like SJW's, economically I don't care.

And she would have to be able to make important distinctions. For example, if there was a rampant problem with illegal immigrants coming from 1 particular country then naming that country as a problem and stating we need to kick out the illegal immigrants and prevent them from abusing the system in the future that this does NOT equal racism. Far to many people are far to stupid to make simple but important distinctions and it's very off putting.

• I don't know maybe, for me politics is a pretty big deal and far to many people just don't care about it or are just to ignorant in the subject to understand just how important it is. Plus I like taking about politics a lot, which is why I enjoy the company of like minded people more.

• Provided she at least tolerates my own views and doesn't try to change or insult me, then I could make it work. I'm a pretty tolerant person. There are a few views however that would be deal breakers to me: pro-abortion and gun control. Being staunchly pro-life and fiercely NRA, I do not think I would be compatible with such a person.

• My wife is a socialist, and I'm really all over the political map. we agree to disagree on many points, and as long as we both stay pleasant we have no real conflict.

• D
    I will not tolerate terrorist apologists and racists
    Otherwise as long as she's civil about it all views are acceptable.

• No, I wouldn't.

• I won't tolerate an anti gun girl, but as long as we aren't at each other's throats, I'd be fine with it.

• If she's a racist, homophobic bigot, or a Donald Trump supporter (which is the same thing but with an extra side of stupid), it's a deal breaker.

• As long as she doesn't follow blindly and isn't too hardcore, it's fine

• as long as she isn't trying to convenience me she is right all the time or is overly stubborn

• Yes but we need to have some common ground. I am pretty right leaning on most issues.

• Most likely not.

• Probably not. I would never date a liberal woman with the intent of pursuing something more serious if the date is success. If it's a one-night stand then sure.

• Don't talk about that shit hahaha

• It's not really the opposing political ideologies that would be an issue but how they expressed their views.

Is she expressing her perspective in a calm, rational way? or is she spouting fallacies from every direction and getting angry at my dissent

• Nope. She has to be a conservative who also upholds traditional family values, otherwise no deal.

• Yea sure.