Am I too young to be on Tinder?

I'm 17. I created an account... like, 2 hours ago ahah, so far I've got 60 or so matches (two or three of which were guys from my school, who I've never even interacted with lol) but it's actually been really fun! Met a few people who've been awesome to talk to so far, no creeps or people asking for nudes, nothing like that. In fact, it's been cleaner than a lot of the messages I get on here lmfao.

Just to clarify, I don't really have any ulterior motives (so no random hook ups lol) for using the app, just seeing what it's like, and for a laugh as well.

What do you think?

Ooh, also, I'm aware that the age requirement is 18, but I've put my actual age in my description of my profile, and I've casually worked that into the conversation with everyone I've been talking to, so they know how old I am. I've set my age range for matches to 18-22 for now.

1mo I think I'm gonna delete it, it keeps going off every once and a while and I can't respond to all the conversations I'm having, it's making me anxious ahah.

Most Helpful Guy

• as a father myself i'd say yes you are probably too young but ultimately just make sure you are careful and aware of what tinder is about. for the vast majority of users it seems like tinder is a hook up app. i'd be very concerned that guys will exploit and take advantage of your youth... but if you are smart and just keep a very strong eye out for creeps and users i'd say have fun and good luck

Most Helpful Girl

• no thats fine.. but just so you're aware, the younger guys tend to just want to hok up. Thats why i have a higher age range

You're probably right :/ in your opinion, what's the highest age range I could/should set?

Fair enough 😊

Thanks for mho 😊

What Guys Said 31

• 17 - I would be in the "You are nearly there" camp so it is okay - My only advice is that free dating sites are that little weirder than premium dating sites or other social media sites - You are probably already very careful so no harm in being an extra little bit careful - When all is said and done you are a young girl on the internet unfortunately sometimes that attracts some unwanted attention.

Cheers. Very true, but G@G creeps have well prepared me for that ahahaha.

• Never downloaded it. But this is how I see it. If your on there you should be on there with the intent meeting up to at some point in the near future. Let's just get the facts straight. Its a hookup app we all know it don't try and justify it as a"dating app" if you ever saw any of Tony's questions you can see women are just as thirsty as men on there. Now if I were to match with you and you didn't want to meet up that would be a waste of my time and your other matches but anyone can download it I think. I'm just saying thats how it would come off.

I see what you're saying. And, nah, I'm cool with meeting up with people, a 19yo who lives near me wants to get coffee soon.

Its kinda like long distance kinda.. Been there, done that. Not my thing. I get attached quickly and believe what they say and then it would be all in my head. So dating app or any long distance.. No thank you ha.

• Nah, Tinder is what the people using it make of it. If some guy is on there to meet teenage girls and gets disappointed that's his problem. Just be careful not to give out too much personal info accidentally (there are some smooth talkers out there who will show a girl the right amount of attention and she'll spill everything).

What he said^
      I had tinder foe a short time trust me you ll find some weird shit sooner or later 😂

• I think a lot of girls join dating sites for attention, they have no intention of meeting anyone off their but could happen I guess. Tinder has a lot of fakes/bots too so depending on where you live it might no be worth till they get rid of the fakes.

I've seen one catfish on tinder lol i think its probably the best authentic dating site you could be on. it show mutual friends and 2nd hand mutual friends to show they're real. Plus, it hooks up directly to your fb profile

@Puppylove94 Yeah exactly!

@Puppylove94 what city are you in? In big cities there are a lot of bots

• 1|4

Looks like he made it worse! Got a real mess on the floor now... dripping everywhere!

• any guy who is willing to sacrifice his freedom to hookup/hangout with a minor probably has multiple stds by the way. you would have to be an idiot or have a low quality of life to risk jailtime over a girl. read this. this kid who was 19 or 20 got caught hooked up with a minor 1 night and is a registered sex offender for 25 years.. your not worth the risk in my opinion and you shouldn't put mentally unstable men in that position either. read this please abcnews.go.com/.../story?id=32783206

• Your old enough I guess the quality of the relationships you'd find there would be pretty lacking though, it's not really the place you go to find quality people for quality relationships.

• I've run into a few minors on there, no surprise. 18 is just arbitrary, it could just as easily been 17 or 19, not even based on any science.
    So to answer your question, no you're not too young to interact with people your age, but just know what guys want and the legal repercussions of what might happen to a guy who doesn't abide by them

• Nah don't think so. Fine in my books. I had tinder as well.

• Yes. Simply it's meant for 18 and older. Why waste their time? When you're 18 and care to to join then ok.. by the way I don't have or will ever have a Tinder.

• Lol it's 18+ but I'd totally swipe you on tinder. It's a fun app dude. If you say you're 17 on your profile then tinder might delete your account by the way. Stay safe boyo.

Ahah cheers dude, it is fun, and we'll see how long it lasts lol.

• Legally, no. I suppose I probably would have created one myself. Just remember to meet in a public place so that if the guy you meet is crazy, then you have someone around.

I wouldn't recommend it, though. There's a reason why it's 18+. Hell, even 18+ women sometimes have bad times (some very horrible).

• Question: Do you show your friends messages guys send you so you can laugh at them?

nah I keep it real (sounds lame but I just talk to them normally like I would any person).

• I'm quite sure the AOC laws are relaxed in 'stralia, so you're fine. The minimum age for most adult iPhone apps is 17.

Yeah, my state's the only one at 17, so even then I'm technically legal. And that's a good point.

• "It's cleaner than here". Yeah thats what it looks like on the outside. They don't wanna ruin their chances of getting into your pants after all.

• I don't think you're too young to use it per se but I do think the quality of relationships you get from it is bad. You could also be leading others who do have ulterior motives into thinking you want to date them or someting

• Seems fine just make sure they know your age and don't meet up with any weirdos haha

• Yes you are. Tinder is more of a hook up to bang. But still possible to meet someone to date seriously.

• Short answer is yes.

Also exactly why I would completely lock down my daughter's phone.

• didn't they changed it some time ago that you have to be 18 to register?

lying about your age? :P

I mean on facebook

ahahah okay :P

this is not the answer I hoped for :P

• naah its alright if there is no creep there you met

• Yeah, you are

• I don't use it so I couldn't say.

Do you talk to the guys that are from your school now?

• Be careful

• In my opinion tinder is a booty call.

• No I've used it
    I'd HIGHLY recommend NOT using it
    It's a awful idea it's all insane people

• Why are you using tinder? We all know what tinder is used for.

No one I met outright said I'm looking for a hookup interestingly, nor did anyone really try to.

• lookism. net/Thread-Am-I-too-young-to-be-on-Tinder
    replace the space

• Lol 60 matches! You do realize that guy never swipe left cause if been on tinder for about 4 years i don't think I've reached 60 matches yet

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• I don't think anyone should be on tinder especially if they're looking for relationships.

You yourself might not have any ulterior motives for using that website but the majority of tinder's users do. Just like gag, it started off for a place for dating and relationship advice but obviously it's a place for nearly all topics. Gag is just normal social media now.

Tinder had good intentions and those have soured. If you want to meet quality people, especially for friendships or relationships then meet them in person. Never do so online and especially not on tinder.

• Well the issue is legal repurcussions. In many states, even though the age of consent is 16, there is still some sort of law that prohibits older people from having sex with minors (anyone under 18, which includes you). I think you should set your range from 18-20, so you only match with people within 3 years of your age (I think that's what most laws allow, but I'm not positive. Which is why Tinder doesn't let anyone under 18 use the app, to avoid those legal reasons).

• As long as you know your intentions for being on there, is well aware how this app is used, the rules, you not posting up private information, and know what to avoid, you should be fine. But be aware no matter the age, somebody can still be looking for hookups and try to harass you online.

• the only downside to it given your reasons for being there is you may send the wrong message and infer you are looking for random hookups

• The main dangers with a 17 year old on tinder are the creeps & the demands for nudes. However, in your description you say that hasn't happened so based on that I'd say you're good to go ;-). Also it's good that you let them know your real age, lying to a guy about your age can get them in serious trouble.

• you started 2 hours ago and already met people?

• read the guidelines of tinder i think you maybe too young not sure what it says