Dating a religious person

The turn offs and turn ons to dating a religious person, in your opinion.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm assuming this question is directed towards non-religious folks, but if it's okay, I would like to offer my two cents, because this is a very interesting and important discussion (I am a practicing Catholic).

I have answered several questions before asking "guys, what do you want in a girl?" and part of my answer is always that it is important that we share similar, if not exactly identical beliefs on religion, politics, and culture. Minor differences are okay, but if the differences are very significant, i.e., one person is a practical Catholic and the other is a firm (not necessarily militant, though) atheist, I don't think it should be purused. Some people can make it work. Personally, I don't think I could. I wouldn't want to have to compete with a girl over whose worldview our children would be raised in. I would want to be able to get along with her family and share my experiences with them and have them understand what I'm talking about and vice versa.

It's also worth mentioning that I don't believe in this concept of "missionary dating". If two people of differing religious beliefs start dating and one just happens to say "hey, I think I want to start going to church with you", that's fine, but if you are actively pressing for the other person to believe what you do, whether you are the believer or non-believer, you're just going to create problems and end up with an even more distorted view of the other person's system.

Bottom line, though, it's risky to have two significantly different belief systems come together in a personal relationship. Like I said, some can make it work, others can't. I just think you're asking for trouble if you do, though. I'm sure I had other points, but I probably forgot :P

What Guys Said 8

• I know people who are in tune with the spirit world, and they are awesome people, and I know people who are religious and they are narrow minded bigots. A very broad group, those who seek or claim to know, God.

It would be similar to asking what about girls with red hair. Yeah, some are sweethearts and some are bitches.

I would hesitate to date someone with radically different views than I have.

Turn ons would be if they had a strong character because it it.

Turn offs would be if they thought everything was black and white and only they knew the truth.

• Now I liked Rebecca. Yes, getting into her pants was my objective. But the problem was, she was a devoted Christian. That was before I was on the internet. We had a national network for people with disabilities. I have hydrocephalus. She is blind. Can't see a thing except vague shades of grey she says. Communicates with a braille terminal. We both live in Ontario Canada. While I was getting turned on talking to her, both in chat and by voice, her religious side was always present. What to do. I tried to envision her god. I tried to acknowledge understand and accept her god. I went through the motions. But I was lying. I went to her city once to see her. We went to the movies (her idea, seriously) and had dinner. But it sounded like she didn't want to date anyone unless she was planning on getting married. That scared ME away. I never saw her again. I never met her god.I think I tried too hard and lied about it all the way. I knew she wouldn't take an agnostic. That was almost 20 years ago. I found her on Facebook recently. She ignored my friend request. Expect to get turned down quickly if you refuse to become a convert to someone overly religious. Be careful.

• If they make me leak with pleasure(awww yeah y'know what I'm talking about, (I'm talking to the freaky girls only) lol). I wouldn't have a problem with their religion, I thin I might find it kinda interesting too. If they also make sense themselves :)

• I respect religion... but I don't understand it. I wouldn't have a problem dating a religious person but down the road it may cause a ton of problems... She would probably want me to take part in church activities and other things that I have no intention of ever doing. She would probably want to raise kids to be their religion because they believe their religion is the truth and everybody else is wrong. Overall I think it would be a deal breaker but I wouldn't just ignore a great girl because of her religion... I may give it a shot but who knows.

• i can see your point, I suppose wen someone practices their faith truthfully, u'll have no need of having to take part of church activities.. there's loads of other ways and means of setting a good example I mean etc There are many out their who'll practice whichever bit of religion pleases them, but very rare wen you find someone who actually practices what they preach lol Bigggg difference between both I'll tell ya that now! :)

• I like when a person believes in an intelligent creation force, but not when they believe that force has promised their people a piece of real estate, impregnated a woman without cohabitation, or hand delivered them a bible.

• Oops I didn't exactly answer your question. The turn-ons would be that we're both spiritual and believe in a higher entity, but the turn-offs would be that she's capable of completely throwing her God-given reason by believing any of the above said claims. It should make me think of her as an easily spoon-fed sheep.

• I thought EXACTLY like u.. to a certain point wen I discovered there ACTUALLY is a religion that entails everything I believed in all in one rounded form, wer women are classified respectable human beings instead of being portrayed as sex icons or 'enslaved'... Anyway I ain't guna start preaching away BUT somehow this whole spirituality concept has given me a shed load of piece of mind which probably would benefit my relationship communicationwise me thinks

• Well yeah it all depends on what religion it is she believes in, if she's a Deist, we're cool. If she's a Taoist or Buddhist, we're still cool tho we could be cooler. If she's a Christian, Jew, or Muslim, (especially if she's a die-hard one) we're probably most likely not gonna work out in the end.

• No Thanks. I'm an atheist and I don't want any girl preaching her religious crap to me.

• Depends, some religious women are freaks between the sheets.

• That is true... I lived right next to a christian high school and the stories I heard of them hooking up with people from my high school was just crazy.

• That's a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't do it.

• please elaborate your answer.. mite be helpful to understand why cheers :)

• I don't like religion and I don't give a f*** about it so a religious partner would just annoy me.

What Girls Said 6

• I suppose it would depend on what their religion was and what their specific beliefs were, but:

Turn Offs

- Likely have very different and potentially incompatible views on many things

- I have a hard time respecting beliefs that are based on magical thinking and blind faith. That doesn't mean that I'd treat them disrespectfully, but I do find it unattractive. I also talk about religion very frankly, and if the topic came up, I would express my own views and they may not like what I have to say.

- If things became serious and we wanted to have children, I would not want my children to be raised in any religion.

- Depending on the person's religion, they may believe that I'm going to hell. I don't think that would sit well with either of us.

Turn Ons

- None.

So yeah, it's very unlikely that I would ever date someone who was religious.

• I think I would prefer to date a guy who comes from a religious background, but I would prefer that he doesn't practice religion. This is how I am. It would just make things easier with my family because they are very religious and I do go to church with them when I visit. Also, I have met a few people in the same situation as me who carried their good values taught to them by religion into adulthood, but didn't carry the bad aspects of religion with them. I like this.

• I think religion is silly, so to me it's a turn off when guys are very religious. I can deal with it to some extent, but if they're really intense about it or try to push it on me, I probably wouldn't date them.

• I don't understand or like religion. I have dated a religious person before and it became an issue. So, I tend to try to avoid really religious people. DON'T tell me I am going to hell and DO NOT tell me that you will pray for me.

• as long as he doesn't talk religion all the time or pass his beliefs onto me, I'm not opposed to dating a religious person.

• no particular turn offs or turn ons. just don't push your religion on me, that's all I ask for