20 Most Overrated Bands And Artists In the Music Business

There are some bands that don't deserve the fame they received. Others are good but not THAT good. Others are bad. Others are horrible and makes me lose faith in humanity, seeing those bands praised so highly.

(In alphabetical order)

1) Abba

20 Most Overrated Bands And Artists In Music Business

The fact they sold millions of records, proves once more that people don't bother to search for music, and they just listen to whatever the radio feeds them. Abba's crap is just unlistenable! Still, Agnetha was a hot babe back in the day.

2) Ace Of Base

We can surely tell, those guys were Abba's clones. They were Swedish, 2 guys 2 girls (and the blonde chick was a hot babe, back in the day.) multi-million selling band...and most of all overrated as well. And most notably the All She Wants song. Every time I hear the intro of All She Wants I just cringe. It's still receiving airplay anywhere, especially during summer.

3) Alice In Chains

A successful band, coming from the dreadful Grunge criminal organization that destroyed music scene. Who remembers any songs from them anyway? Not to mention their lead singer was unable to handle himself and ended up dying from heroin overdose. That's how SMALL Grudge stars are.

4) The Beatles

Never understood why The Beatles became like a holy band. If you don't like The Beatles or just consider them overrated, then you know shit about music. Yes, I dare to find The Beatles overrated. Come at me!

5) David Bowie

I think the reason he became so much popular, was his unique persona and appearance. Definitely not his music, because it sounds just mediocre, to put it simply.

6) Depeche Mode

OK they have some good albums in their discography and Music For The Masses is kicking ass indeed...but not to the point they are Gods. The bad thing with Depeche Mode is, they overshadowed almost everyone among their scene.

7) Celine Dion

There's nothing to like about her. She looks like a camel and her songs and voice are boring to the core. The shame of Canada indeed.

8. Michael Jackson

King Of Pop they say. King Of Boredom I would say. His music is boring and tedious, and never got how this man sold millions and millions of records. Do people have problems with their ears? I can mention at least 100 better albums from 1982, than the ultra-super-extremely overrated Thriller.

9) Madonna

Guess that woman sold her soul to the Devil. She is the only 80s pop star, who managed to have success in the 90s, in the 00s and in the 10s, antagonizing pop stars who are half or even 1/3 her age, and drawing media's attention since she came to the spotlight. Her success is unnatural, so I believe what I said about selling her soul is true.

10) Nirvana

I can go on hours and hours and hours, expressing my hatred towards those musicians (not even in their wildest dreams)...they destroyed tons of other bands with the rising of the cursed genre called Grunge (see for example Loverboy. Even Mike Reno (lead singer from Loverboy) himself, admitted these scumbags destroyed his career.), they stole riffs, and they became legends because their lead singer was a weak man, couldn't handle fame, and killed himself. How can you take a band seriously, when even the singer himself admits he is a loser? And no I'm not lying, try search about it, to see Kurt Cobain admitting he is a loser!

I consider Nirvana more or less, a criminal organization. And I believe any musicians, managers, technicians, sound engineers, or whatever, who have been involved in this organization, should be held in prison, for the crimes they did in the music industry.

11) Oasis

Their name isn't representative at all. They should be calling themselves Sahara or something like that. Famous Beatles' clones, much adored especially in the UK. But did they have any memorable songs, riffs and all? No. Only Wonderwall. But not because it was something special, but because of the massive airplay it still receives.

12) The Pixies

Not commercially successful, but still WAYYYYYYY too appreciated. Their music is boring and unmemorable. Just some plain Acoustic/Alternative-Rock.

13) Radiohead

I said it all here about this grossly overrated band. They definitely not deserve their fame.

14) R.E.M.

One of the worst Rock bands in my opinion. Never understood what was so appealing in them. Just some College Rock shit, one of the worst 80s genres. Not to mention their super tedious overplayed hit Losing My Religion, that is still being played everywhere. I was passing from a gas station today, and they were playing this song. It's so much played, that I've learned the lyrics of it, even if I didn't want to.

15) Red Hot Chili Peppers

An 80s band that had success in the 90s is a bad band. Others were bad already (R.E.M., The Connels, Soul Asylum) and others changed their sound drastically in order to appeal the 90s masses (Bon Jovi, New Order, Duran Duran). The latter might not be bad bands, but they are sell-outs for sure. Red Hot Chili Peppers belong to the first category. They were never good at all, and their brand of Funk-Metal is ultra-boring.

16) The Smiths

Bleh. Never understood why they are so much adored by the alternative crowd. Their only memorable song is How Soon Is Now? which has substance and a kick-ass guitar riff indeed, but all the others are just lousy boring Indie Pop.

17) Sting

Not The Police, but Sting as a solo artist. This lousy jazzy stuff he chose to play was just boring as hell. Why he did I don't know. But instead of pursuing success, he should have stayed at home and be remembered for what he did with The Police, instead of humiliating himself.

18. Talking Heads

Although not so commercially successful, they were praised by critics A LOT, and they were considered as one of the most influential bands. Never understood what was so influential in their case. What they were playing was something like Punk/New Wave with Funk elements, at least in their early years. Something that other bands of that era were doing in some kind of way.

19) U2

U2 were awesome indeed during their first years, yet not much commercially successful. After War, their quality started to degrade, whilst their popularity started to increase. I never understood why albums like Joshua Tree, or even worse Achtung Baby became so massive. I prefer Boy, October, War any day.

20) Wham!

Wham! are another proof, that people don't bother searching for music, and they just listen to what they are served. The most generic Pop band from the 80s, managed to sell millions of records, because of this.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Girls Said 33

• Some are a bit overrated yes but they're not all bad artists, many have inspired at times even better artists so they have my outmost respect. Usually I don't really like to call some music trash just because I don't like it, I just say it isn't my taste.
    Some of these artists have made music that really touched people, inspired them, or made them feel good and want to dance, for me I think that is what good music is.
    I do personally love a lot of the artists on the list like Beatles, Nirvana, U2, and Radiohead especially. Talking about old music I also love artists like Kate Bush, Chaka Demus & Pliers, Bob Marley, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Pink Floyd. (Yes the type of music I like is very diverse indeed)
    To me how mainstream or non mainstream an artist is doesn't matter two shits lol, if I vibe with the music and I feels it, its good to me, if I don't like it I just don't listen to it and don't trash it. Someone doesn't not have talent if you don't like their music. And someone who has immense talent doesn't always have to be super mainstream and super famous for their talent to become valid and honored, and for some the fame life just isn't for them.
    Also good music is in the ear of the beholder :P

• You honestly think legendary bands like the Beatles and Nirvana are worse than Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber? Or what about that song from Rihanna where she basically says work for five? It makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Or just modern country music in general.

R. I. P. Kurt Cobain

• Fuck Kurt Cobain. And I didn't include Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber for two reasons.

- It's too early to judge them since they are new artists.
      - And most of all, I haven't listened to their full discography yet. Do you think that I haven't listened to any of the songs of the artists I mentioned?

• How do you know who "Klaatu" is?

• My intuition told me.

• tell me you are kidding please

• I knew reading this would piss me off. Tons of these artists are legendary.

• But... fairly? I can mention tons of artists who were legendary, but they got overshadowed.

• Opinions vary and thankfully there are brighter minds in control of what makes it and what doesn't. You are seriously lacking in an understanding of what constitutes great music. I can only imagine what you actually do like. But spare me any more wasted time by not sharing what those gems may be.

• Actually we like similar music and I'm surprised by your answer. I remember you from another question here:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2056589-have-you-ever-noticed-people-who-like-older-music-tend-to-be-less

• The masses have spoken. It wasn't a conspiracy to keep your obscure bands down. lol. After all, Madonna was unknown once and so were the Jackson 5.

• I believe the reason is they are not so "radio-friendly". Radio-friendly people are more into poppish stuff.

• Fuck you Nirvana and the Beatles are not overrated!

• You know how many bands Nirvana destroyed?

• @myTakeOwner Do you actually think Nirvana thought to themselves how many glam metal bands we can destroy? Dee Snider of Twisted Sister said something to the point that the glam metal scene got to watered down and the bands were sounding too much alike.

• @funny_strange_man yeah backing you up on that, man. Nirvana was just the type of band who played music for the sake of playing music and they were damn good at it.

• Some of these are indeed overrated, but not all of them. Radiohead isn't, and I love the smiths (they have some great riffs and intros). I also like some of Michael Jackson and the beatles songs.
    Just because you don't like a particular song (or band) doesn't make them bad necessarily.
    What you're basically saying is that ALL of the people who like these bands (and there are lots of them arounf the world) don't have any taste, but you do.. LOL

• This is somewhat subjective, mainly because in THOSE times those artists were considered famous and NOT overrated. The artists today I consider to be overrated. Id rather be listening to these artists then the ones we have now. But everyone is different and we all have our preferences.

• I'm not judging, I don't listen to most on the list so... I'm curious what band you like and think maybe are underrated?

• Oh come on, where is Elvis Presley? Abba was way better than him.

• Abba were boring in my opinion. But Elvis was definitely way better than The Beatles or the so-called "King of Pop". That's why I don't include him.

• Meh, I like Abba better than Elvis or the Beatles, or Michael Jackson.

• Never liked the Beatles.

• The only one I really disagree with is The Beatles.
    They came out with SUCH good music that was extremely diverse and had catchy tunes. They're my favorite band of all time. FIGHT ME.

• Gee you are a music hater or you dont know what good music really is, some of those bands played good music, not all of course. Do you think all the pop music nowadays, like Selena, Britney, Justin, Ariana are much better than the ones u listed? Those are lame spoiled brats that are handed out everything.

How old are you really?

• I will be 25 in October.

• The fact that The Beatles (and not Justin Bieber) was listed tells me this person judgement can't be trusted.

• Your'e just a hater

• replace MJ with the beatles then i agree (for the ones I know of). also gtfo for saying MJ was anything less than legendary.

• What was so special about his music?

• Not at all. To me he wasn't anything special.

• Pretty unpopular opinion but ok

• I haven't heard of most of these, but IMHO many were very cool, and so are the recent artists.

• Stay anonymous. You are obviously old young little guy. I'm not can argue with anything you posted save one. You have absolutely no idea the influence that the Beatles presented to music. Yes they are Gods. They were brilliant

• I'm just a few months younger than you if you are 25.

• I will not be answering any more of your dribble. Take one listen To Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White album. I will not even say Sgt. Pepper which is considered the finest album ever made and transformed music

• You understand I'm on the other side of the Atlantic don't you? It's hours and hours away from me.

• What music do u like to listen to, OP?

• I can't actually say that I agree with anything on this list except for ABBA.

• More from Girls
    13

What Guys Said 46

• I agree that some of them are overrated-- not bad, just overrated. I disagree on others. Nevertheless, it's all very subjective. While one band may be overrated to one, they can be the greatest thing since sliced bread to another person. Quite variable shtuff, but I guess that's the joy of music-- there's something for everyone.

• Many forget Stan Bush did more than just Transformers music. I'd say there are many "country" acts from the 90s that deserve a lot more respect than the hacks that are treated like gods today. Those who remember John Berry may be bewildered by all the Taylor Swift hype. On the Christian music scene, Fernando Ortega bears a sincerity never found in Amy Grant. I agree that Madonna must have sold her soul. Same with Bruce Springsteen. Katy Perry at least admits it.

• Glad to know there's someone else who is aware of Stan Bush. As for Bruce Springsteen, I would say he deserves his fame.

• Nailed it on Nirvana. They were under-talented and overrated. But what about Blink 182 and System Of A Down?

• I love those last two bands that you listed. Hate Nirvana. Kids at school are always wearing those ugly t-shirts with the smiley face on it and saying Nirvana is the best band ever. I can't stand them.

• Oh yes, and Slayer.

• And Taylor Swift.

• I disagree when it comes to Depeche Mode, Abba and Ace Of Base (they are actually underrated), I like them, but I agree with your opinion on the other bands, they are mostly overrated. I mean, Madonna is ok, but she tends to change her music style too often. By the way, where is Justin Bieber? :P

• As I said to the other comments, it's too early to judge Justin Bieber. He is a knew artist.

And most important, how can I judge someone that I haven't listened to his full discography? I have listened to, at least 3-4 FULL albums from the bands I mention in the poll.

But Depeche Mode, Abba and Ace Of Base underrated? How? Especially Abba... only God knows how many albums have sold.

• Well "popular" music is usually around America, UK, Canada, Central Europe, Australia or even Japan by some degree. Not to be indiscreet, but I know where you are from so any "popular" band is underrated. Likewise, in my country as well. Most radio stations play local music where I live.

• Sad but true...

• very subjective clearly. probably you just don't like the type of music so they are overrated in your eyes

• Oh God, ABBA. Could've done without WHAM, too, and I never got David Bowie.

A few of the others, though... really? :P

• I can agree with all but the Beatles, Nirvana, and Micheal Jackson on this list. There are a few bands/musicians that are able to catch the the spirit of an era in their music and they change music forever. People/bands like The Beatle's, Nirvana, Micheal Jackson are some of those bands.

• How Nirvana (especially) changed the music? By stealing riffs, and singing pathetic lyrics?

• Do you understand why Loverboy, Cinderella, Poison and many others suddenly were vanished from the charts? Who do you think was responsible?

• lol, not I get it now. YOU don't like his music and YOU don't like the man. Therefore he and his music is objectively bad...

• This is all a matter of opinion. I'm someone that likes almost everything, including some of the list, and some of them are by no means "gods of music", but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

Acting like "you don't know nothing about music" or "what I like is good, what I dislike is not" is ridiculous. Like, I personally don't find Nirvana a good band, considering their musicians are too damn limited. But that doesn

• (I don't know why the system submited my opinion, but I'll just finish it here)

that doesn't make me hate them, or think that people that listen to the band "don't know what good music is". Being a musician, I've been around good musicians that dislike Jazz, or can't stand to Progressive music and other complex styles that require tons of talent, so in the end, it's all on the listener. Just listen to what you like and don't care about others say.

• Woah bud, go easy on grunge.
    Most of the bands I agree with you, but I love grunge. They have done some amazing music- Pearl Jam has some great lyrics, Soundgarden has some of the most unique and complicated music in rock.
    And geting rid of the hair/glam rock scene of the 80s was no crime.

• "And geting rid of the hair/glam rock scene of the 80s was no crime. "

One of the biggest reasons I hate them. In my opinion Glam Metal musicians should have beaten up the Grunge apes that destroyed their careers and kicking them off the spotlight. From talented bands like Europe, White Lion, Cinderella or even the less known Enuff Z'Nuff... we went to shit like Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains.

• Who said they are unable to? Thats just chose not to write their music that way. There are certainly rock bands outside of grunge that dont frequently play solos.
      And I will agree that Nirvana is overrated, they are far from the best of the grunge bands. Cinderella is pretty good, Europe is alright. But are you trying to say bands like Poison and Def Leppard are better than Soundgarden or Pearl Jam?

• Yes, especially Def Leppard. Def Leppard members' farts have more talent than Pearl Jam themselves.

• The Beatles are considered "the best" just because they came up at the right time. Five years earlier and they wouldn't have even been accepted and five years later they likely would have been just another obscure band

• You just listed some of the best bands and musicians of all time.
    LOL
    Some of them I don't know but I will listen to just because you don't like them, while the rest are mediocre bands and musicians that I only know by accident.

Never heard of Wham!

Pink Floyd is overrated af. Can't believe you didn't mention them.

• I think Pink Floyd deserved their fame. Along with Toto, The Cars and Electric Light Orchestra are among the best 70s bands.

• ELO and Toto are great bands too.
      Never got the the hype around Pink Floyd it just seemed so depressing. A guy told me once that you had to be high to enjoy their music.

• You do understand that your opinions are opinions and not incontrovertible facts, right?

• Jesus what did these guys do to u

• Who among all? I doubt you read it so quickly after it was posted.

• @Red88xxx Lately I listen to bands like Europe and White Lion every day. You know those bands that your "friends" destroyed and ended their careers.

• Whatever never really got into Europe I prefer British Bands Like Queen

• You know nothing about music.

• @Thrifty

Sarcasm and a lack of caring where it's from, my friend.

• Without The Beatles you wouldn't have most rock/pop music that you have for the past half century. You don't even good critiques on the rest of these artists, just "meh, I'm basic and they're boring" What the fuck do you listen to?

• David Bowie was extremely diverse in his music over his career, he made many different songs in a wealth of different genres. Nirvana stole riffs? How many different kind of chord progressions do you think exist? Talking Heads were pretty underrated if you ask me, David Byrne doesn't get enough credit. Radiohead are brilliant musicians in their song writing technique, I'm willing to bet you've never listened to anything outside of "creep", probably the same with the pixie's "Where is my mind?"

Actually I bet you've never listened to that much other than one or two songs than any of these musicians.

• You're a neckbeard fag dude.

• What neckbeard means? We don't all speak the American slang here.

• I have to disagree with depeche mode and the smiths they are not overrated at all they are underrated depeche mode has a lot of albums that don't get recognized the only album that people seem to know is violator which is their most popular album but the other albums don't get recognition as for the smiths their albums are under the table as well heck morrisey is known for the bona drag album and he did that album solo.

• The Smiths might be "underrated" in America. Well underrated for you and their fans. For me they don't deserve it anyway.

As for Depeche Mode... look how many albums they sold in total. Is this underrated?

• So for you, Depeche Mode should be praised like Gods. No my friend, they should be treated like shit.

• Lol whatever man i don't feel they are if you do fine cool your opinion but they're far from shit.

• You are right on the money with most of this. Unfortunately you've dramatically missed the mark with 2 of them, Michael Jackson and Nirvana.

Those are the only 2 true artists on that list; everyone else are imitators. Those are the only 2 mainstream (some of these groups are not mainstream) artists who, to my knowledge, aren't illuminati puppets. Also the reason their frontmen are dead.

But of course you are entitled to your own uninformed opinion.

• From the title, I couldn't take this seriously

Overrated is the #1 hater word, used by people who are too busy being a crab to even tolerate the success of others

That's not to say I don't have those I hate like JB, but saying he's "overrated" is bullshit

• But would you rather be underpaid or overrated? -Kanye West

I am overrated.

• I knew this was gonna be a troll list. Once I saw The Beatles at number 4 I was like, yep, troll.

• More from Guys
    26