20 Most Overrated Bands And Artists In the Music Business

There are some bands that don't deserve the fame they received. Others are good but not THAT good. Others are bad. Others are horrible and makes me lose faith in humanity, seeing those bands praised so highly.

(In alphabetical order)

1) Abba

20 Most Overrated Bands And Artists In Music Business

The fact they sold millions of records, proves once more that people don't bother to search for music, and they just listen to whatever the radio feeds them. Abba's crap is just unlistenable! Still, Agnetha was a hot babe back in the day.

2) Ace Of Base

We can surely tell, those guys were Abba's clones. They were Swedish, 2 guys 2 girls (and the blonde chick was a hot babe, back in the day.) multi-million selling band...and most of all overrated as well. And most notably the All She Wants song. Every time I hear the intro of All She Wants I just cringe. It's still receiving airplay anywhere, especially during summer.

3) Alice In Chains

A successful band, coming from the dreadful Grunge criminal organization that destroyed music scene. Who remembers any songs from them anyway? Not to mention their lead singer was unable to handle himself and ended up dying from heroin overdose. That's how SMALL Grudge stars are.

4) The Beatles

Never understood why The Beatles became like a holy band. If you don't like The Beatles or just consider them overrated, then you know shit about music. Yes, I dare to find The Beatles overrated. Come at me!

5) David Bowie

I think the reason he became so much popular, was his unique persona and appearance. Definitely not his music, because it sounds just mediocre, to put it simply.

6) Depeche Mode

OK they have some good albums in their discography and Music For The Masses is kicking ass indeed...but not to the point they are Gods. The bad thing with Depeche Mode is, they overshadowed almost everyone among their scene.

7) Celine Dion

There's nothing to like about her. She looks like a camel and her songs and voice are boring to the core. The shame of Canada indeed.

8. Michael Jackson

King Of Pop they say. King Of Boredom I would say. His music is boring and tedious, and never got how this man sold millions and millions of records. Do people have problems with their ears? I can mention at least 100 better albums from 1982, than the ultra-super-extremely overrated Thriller.

9) Madonna

Guess that woman sold her soul to the Devil. She is the only 80s pop star, who managed to have success in the 90s, in the 00s and in the 10s, antagonizing pop stars who are half or even 1/3 her age, and drawing media's attention since she came to the spotlight. Her success is unnatural, so I believe what I said about selling her soul is true.

10) Nirvana

I can go on hours and hours and hours, expressing my hatred towards those musicians (not even in their wildest dreams)...they destroyed tons of other bands with the rising of the cursed genre called Grunge (see for example Loverboy. Even Mike Reno (lead singer from Loverboy) himself, admitted these scumbags destroyed his career.), they stole riffs, and they became legends because their lead singer was a weak man, couldn't handle fame, and killed himself. How can you take a band seriously, when even the singer himself admits he is a loser? And no I'm not lying, try search about it, to see Kurt Cobain admitting he is a loser!

I consider Nirvana more or less, a criminal organization. And I believe any musicians, managers, technicians, sound engineers, or whatever, who have been involved in this organization, should be held in prison, for the crimes they did in the music industry.

11) Oasis

Their name isn't representative at all. They should be calling themselves Sahara or something like that. Famous Beatles' clones, much adored especially in the UK. But did they have any memorable songs, riffs and all? No. Only Wonderwall. But not because it was something special, but because of the massive airplay it still receives.

12) The Pixies

Not commercially successful, but still WAYYYYYYY too appreciated. Their music is boring and unmemorable. Just some plain Acoustic/Alternative-Rock.

13) Radiohead

I said it all here about this grossly overrated band. They definitely not deserve their fame.

14) R.E.M.

One of the worst Rock bands in my opinion. Never understood what was so appealing in them. Just some College Rock shit, one of the worst 80s genres. Not to mention their super tedious overplayed hit Losing My Religion, that is still being played everywhere. I was passing from a gas station today, and they were playing this song. It's so much played, that I've learned the lyrics of it, even if I didn't want to.

15) Red Hot Chili Peppers

An 80s band that had success in the 90s is a bad band. Others were bad already (R.E.M., The Connels, Soul Asylum) and others changed their sound drastically in order to appeal the 90s masses (Bon Jovi, New Order, Duran Duran). The latter might not be bad bands, but they are sell-outs for sure. Red Hot Chili Peppers belong to the first category. They were never good at all, and their brand of Funk-Metal is ultra-boring.

16) The Smiths

Bleh. Never understood why they are so much adored by the alternative crowd. Their only memorable song is How Soon Is Now? which has substance and a kick-ass guitar riff indeed, but all the others are just lousy boring Indie Pop.

17) Sting

Not The Police, but Sting as a solo artist. This lousy jazzy stuff he chose to play was just boring as hell. Why he did I don't know. But instead of pursuing success, he should have stayed at home and be remembered for what he did with The Police, instead of humiliating himself.

18. Talking Heads

Although not so commercially successful, they were praised by critics A LOT, and they were considered as one of the most influential bands. Never understood what was so influential in their case. What they were playing was something like Punk/New Wave with Funk elements, at least in their early years. Something that other bands of that era were doing in some kind of way.

19) U2

U2 were awesome indeed during their first years, yet not much commercially successful. After War, their quality started to degrade, whilst their popularity started to increase. I never understood why albums like Joshua Tree, or even worse Achtung Baby became so massive. I prefer Boy, October, War any day.

20) Wham!

Wham! are another proof, that people don't bother searching for music, and they just listen to what they are served. The most generic Pop band from the 80s, managed to sell millions of records, because of this.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 32

• You honestly think legendary bands like the Beatles and Nirvana are worse than Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber? Or what about that song from Rihanna where she basically says work for five? It makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Or just modern country music in general.

R. I. P. Kurt Cobain

• Fuck Kurt Cobain. And I didn't include Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber for two reasons.

- It's too early to judge them since they are new artists.
      - And most of all, I haven't listened to their full discography yet. Do you think that I haven't listened to any of the songs of the artists I mentioned?

• How do you know who "Klaatu" is?

• My intuition told me.

I haven't heard of most of these, but IMHO many were very cool, and so are the recent artists.

• I can't actually say that I agree with anything on this list except for ABBA.

• What music do u like to listen to, OP?

Oh come on, where is Elvis Presley? Abba was way better than him.

Abba were boring in my opinion. But Elvis was definitely way better than The Beatles or the so-called "King of Pop". That's why I don't include him.

Meh, I like Abba better than Elvis or the Beatles, or Michael Jackson.

Some are a bit overrated yes but they're not all bad artists, many have inspired at times even better artists so they have my outmost respect. Usually I don't really like to call some music trash just because I don't like it, I just say it isn't my taste.
    Some of these artists have made music that really touched people, inspired them, or made them feel good and want to dance, for me I think that is what good music is.
    I do personally love a lot of the artists on the list like Beatles, Nirvana, U2, and Radiohead especially. Talking about old music I also love artists like Kate Bush, Chaka Demus & Pliers, Bob Marley, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Pink Floyd. (Yes the type of music I like is very diverse indeed)
    To me how mainstream or non mainstream an artist is doesn't matter two shits lol, if I vibe with the music and I feels it, its good to me, if I don't like it I just don't listen to it and don't trash it. Someone doesn't not have talent if you don't like their music. And someone who has immense talent doesn't always have to be super mainstream and super famous for their talent to become valid and honored, and for some the fame life just isn't for them.
    Also good music is in the ear of the beholder :P

Gee you are a music hater or you dont know what good music really is, some of those bands played good music, not all of course. Do you think all the pop music nowadays, like Selena, Britney, Justin, Ariana are much better than the ones u listed? Those are lame spoiled brats that are handed out everything.

How old are you really?

I will be 25 in October.

So basically everyone?

Fuck you Nirvana and the Beatles are not overrated!

You know how many bands Nirvana destroyed?

@myTakeOwner Do you actually think Nirvana thought to themselves how many glam metal bands we can destroy? Dee Snider of Twisted Sister said something to the point that the glam metal scene got to watered down and the bands were sounding too much alike.

@funny_strange_man yeah backing you up on that, man. Nirvana was just the type of band who played music for the sake of playing music and they were damn good at it.

Stay anonymous. You are obviously old young little guy. I'm not can argue with anything you posted save one. You have absolutely no idea the influence that the Beatles presented to music. Yes they are Gods. They were brilliant

I'm just a few months younger than you if you are 25.

I will not be answering any more of your dribble. Take one listen To Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White album. I will not even say Sgt. Pepper which is considered the finest album ever made and transformed music

You understand I'm on the other side of the Atlantic don't you? It's hours and hours away from me.

• Never liked the Beatles.

• The fact that The Beatles (and not Justin Bieber) was listed tells me this person judgement can't be trusted.

• You obviously don't know good music, when you hear it.

• Phew, boy am I glad you didn't name any of my favorite singers, from back in the day. 😊

• Opinions vary and thankfully there are brighter minds in control of what makes it and what doesn't. You are seriously lacking in an understanding of what constitutes great music. I can only imagine what you actually do like. But spare me any more wasted time by not sharing what those gems may be.

• Actually we like similar music and I'm surprised by your answer. I remember you from another question here:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2056589-have-you-ever-noticed-people-who-like-older-music-tend-to-be-less

• The masses have spoken. It wasn't a conspiracy to keep your obscure bands down. lol. After all, Madonna was unknown once and so were the Jackson 5.

• I believe the reason is they are not so "radio-friendly". Radio-friendly people are more into poppish stuff.

• That was a waste of time. You put a lot of effort into writing a piece that expressed nothing more than your personal opinion.

• Some of these are indeed overrated, but not all of them. Radiohead isn't, and I love the smiths (they have some great riffs and intros). I also like some of Michael Jackson and the beatles songs.
    Just because you don't like a particular song (or band) doesn't make them bad necessarily.
    What you're basically saying is that ALL of the people who like these bands (and there are lots of them arounf the world) don't have any taste, but you do.. LOL

• Half of them are great bands. If this is Klaatu your music taste is very niche. That doesn't make bands bad, just not to your taste.

• There is nowhere to hide as it seems.

• Even with proper grammar?

• It has improved A LOT! Well done, it's the subject matter though. If people knew Klaatu it's obvious this is your music Take :)

• I listened to all of them except for abba, wham! talking heads and sting. I don't know if they are indeed overrated or not but I enjoy listening to them

• Sting's solo career may have been a little overrated but his work with the police was good

• I'm not judging, I don't listen to most on the list so... I'm curious what band you like and think maybe are underrated?

• More from Girls
    12

What Guys Said 46

• I agree that some of them are overrated-- not bad, just overrated. I disagree on others. Nevertheless, it's all very subjective. While one band may be overrated to one, they can be the greatest thing since sliced bread to another person. Quite variable shtuff, but I guess that's the joy of music-- there's something for everyone.

You do understand that your opinions are opinions and not incontrovertible facts, right?

• You just listed some of the best bands and musicians of all time.
    LOL
    Some of them I don't know but I will listen to just because you don't like them, while the rest are mediocre bands and musicians that I only know by accident.

Never heard of Wham!

Pink Floyd is overrated af. Can't believe you didn't mention them.

• I think Pink Floyd deserved their fame. Along with Toto, The Cars and Electric Light Orchestra are among the best 70s bands.

• ELO and Toto are great bands too.
      Never got the the hype around Pink Floyd it just seemed so depressing. A guy told me once that you had to be high to enjoy their music.

• Oh God, ABBA. Could've done without WHAM, too, and I never got David Bowie.

A few of the others, though... really? :P

Seeing Michael Jackson in an "overrated" list made me stop reading immediately.

#Bye

The Van Halen guitar solo in "Beat It" is superior than the whole Michael Jackson's career.

So little he was.

@FallOutBoy200 Who would you put in your top music artists of all time?

Green Day, Micheal Jackson, David Bowie, MJ, and Queen, for starters. Not sure after that

• very subjective clearly. probably you just don't like the type of music so they are overrated in your eyes

• You know nothing about music.

• @Thrifty

Sarcasm and a lack of caring where it's from, my friend.

Most of these are true, but calling stuff like Depeche Mode and Michael Jackson overrated just proves you know nothing about music.

Don't start again about Depeche Mode... now I hate them more for one reason. I used to listen to them, and unfortunately I still have material from them and I want desperately to sell them.

You seriously lost me when you listed the beatles. Even if you don't like their music their importance and influence to the musical landscape can't be doubted.

And you hate nirvana because they "destroyed" crappy hair metal bands and one hit wonders like "Cinderella, Danger Danger, Kix, Twisted Sister" oh please dude. you definitely don't know shit about music if you're mourning their demise. If anything that's a reason to praise nirvana.

At least those "crappy hair metal bands" could play a guitar solo.

@FallOutBoy2001 Could they play any Power Ballads? I guess not. I enjoy Power Ballads a lot personally.

I'd say no, but that's due to the style of music. just because you don't like music doesn't mean it's overrated. It just means it's not your taste

I have to disagree with depeche mode and the smiths they are not overrated at all they are underrated depeche mode has a lot of albums that don't get recognized the only album that people seem to know is violator which is their most popular album but the other albums don't get recognition as for the smiths their albums are under the table as well heck morrisey is known for the bona drag album and he did that album solo.

The Smiths might be "underrated" in America. Well underrated for you and their fans. For me they don't deserve it anyway.

As for Depeche Mode... look how many albums they sold in total. Is this underrated?

So for you, Depeche Mode should be praised like Gods. No my friend, they should be treated like shit.

Lol whatever man i don't feel they are if you do fine cool your opinion but they're far from shit.

The Pixies i do not like at all. Wham and Celine Dion I like a little. Madonna I mostly like her 80s to mid 90s stuff. The rest I do like. Some songs that I remember by Alice In Chains are Rooster, Dirt, Man In a Box, Would?, Them Bones, Down In a Hole to name a few. Actual there are people like me rber songs by them. I would have put Rhianna, Justin Bieber, all other rap besides the so called gangsta rap, today's country over all, Beyonce to name a few

Totally Troll

TL:DR
    You hate music.
    We get it.
    But you didn't put the one's who REALLY did not deserve the fame but did it anyway. These are Lady GaGa and Justin Bieber.

Lady GaGa and Justin Bieber are "shit" but Michael Jackson is "King". Nice logic from current youngsters, right?

MJ was the equivalent of JB today. Both extremely promoted products of the music industry.

I do not agree with you here but the current youngsters have an awful taste in music.

Indeed.

Um, you suck.

You are right on the money with most of this. Unfortunately you've dramatically missed the mark with 2 of them, Michael Jackson and Nirvana.

Those are the only 2 true artists on that list; everyone else are imitators. Those are the only 2 mainstream (some of these groups are not mainstream) artists who, to my knowledge, aren't illuminati puppets. Also the reason their frontmen are dead.

But of course you are entitled to your own uninformed opinion.

**looks for led zeppelin and doesn't see it listed**

okay, i won't hurt you :)

I knew this was gonna be a troll list. Once I saw The Beatles at number 4 I was like, yep, troll.

From the title, I couldn't take this seriously

Overrated is the #1 hater word, used by people who are too busy being a crab to even tolerate the success of others

That's not to say I don't have those I hate like JB, but saying he's "overrated" is bullshit

• Putting the Beatles on this list means you are officially brain-dead. Don't trying and talk about things you fully don't understand little-man.

• I agree with you about some of them. Why didn't you list Donnie and Marie Osmond ! God they're awful !

• More from Guys
    26