Advice for Guys Going Out on a First Date

I thought since women have so much advice on what to wear when they go out and guys barely know where they can get good advice, here are some great looks you can find that will surely get you noticed by your gal pal, but something you can feel comfortable and confident to make the right impression.

Some basic advice: it never hurts to be over dressed than underdressed for your date. Women love it when you make an effort. I'm not saying being metrosexual about and take hours to get ready. But they love it because it show how much you'd like to impress her or that going out with her is important to you - so they feel it's a compliment to them. Women love the smallest little details that they can go running back to their girlfriends, so remember that the small things really do count!

Women are obsessed with shoes. Not just their own shoes or shoes on other women buy the shoes you're wearing. So put great shoes on because you will be judged on them.

You don't have to wear a tie but a jacket would be an excellent idea in almost any season. If your destination requires a tie, wear one. But don't be too dressy your date should look better than you. So don't wear a suit. It's not a job interview.

Groom! Clip your fingernails, wash your hair and shave or trim. Women love details and when you first hold hands she will look at them more often than a man looks at his own. Don't be too shy to break out the dandruff shampoo if your scalp flakes and avoid wearing a dark shirt. Tweeze a unibrow!

And also go easy on the cologne. Women love a great smelling man when the colonge jives with her pH. Don't shower in it!

Don't wear any T-shirts that say anything - you don't want to be reduced to a joke or cliche. Let your words do the speaking for you - not a logo or tee. If you have to - keep it plain and high quality.

Always have some small bills on your for tipping. Women love generous men, so show her you appreciate good service when you're out for a drink or meal.

Extra great advice that you'll be happy you took:

Put your phone on silent.

Check your fly.

Now you're ready for your date! Let's just hope it's not an epic fail:

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• Ummm... couldn't have been more spot on!

Love the thing about the shoes. it's completely true!
    Also the cologne... good God!

Smart... smart. ^-^

• Band shirts, especially for the ramones, the neighbourhood, or blink 182, are totally great! Yay band shirts! I also think leather jackets are super sexy, if that's your style :)

• This is really accurate, especially the part about the cologne. I went on a date with a guy who smelled like the entire cologne aisle. It wasn't pleasent.

Though I don't see anything wrong with a guy wearing t shirts to a date, I personally don't mind it. I think casual is more cute.

• Nice take! Though, when it comes to style, each woman's tastes vary. For example, I like band t-shirts and the ones with logos, as long as they're not offensive. And I prefer leather jackets more than formal jackets. Sneakers are also ok in my books, if they are not the gym style and if they are clean. I dislike too baggy clothes ans boxers showing though, or too preppy styles.

• This is a great take. Very accurate. Listen to this guy men!

• Check your fly. 😂 loved this, thou i think a plain shirt for guys my age is totally fine. And if they don't wear these shoes in the picture please. And showering with perfume or not, i just have to smell it across the table or sitting/standing next to him.

• My man almost never adheres to this dress code but he's a nerdy fella so its ok. But unless he's tired his hair is always spot on and that's all i care about

• Not sure about the jacket though. I would say a button up shirt is never wrong (at least if you're not going to something too fancy). Other than that, good take.

• Thanks - you could have him go for a casual sports jacket too... something I've seen they have in MEXX or Banana Republic.

• #5 probably! haha

• Be yourself. It's easier to see if it will work out if you are both being honest.

What Guys Said 5

• Yeah but make sure you do this Naturally. Most girls should agree that nothing is worse than a fake man, just like we would say the same about women.

Imagine he rocks up to dinner in an awesome suit. You like him and he never wears it again. just his Heineken singlet and sandals.
    It is all great advice don't get me wrong, just make sure you observe or pay attention to the girl you are going on a date with and try guess what she is into that you also feel comfortable in.

• I personally feel uncomfortable dressing like everyone else too. I see all the men in every city in the world wearing the same thing. Women everywhere have styles, they don't wear the same style shoes and coats as each other to look good, they wear things that are different and stand out (sexy or smart)...

To me the suit itself is a reflection on how robotic society is. Most people who wear suits daily are working. Women can dress up in 600 different outfits so why don't men start doing the same.
      My clothing style is always random. I like to wear bespoke clothing, suits or shirts with a flat brim hat and maybe some jean shorts with some fresh jordans. Im comfortable and a lot of people tell me I look good, but a lot of people also make stupid comments about my style who are mostly people who are dresses like penguin robots.
      Having bad hygiene is just gross and dudes need to sort their shit out!

• Shoes, and the tipping thing is new to me. I've always been a good tipper but I never considered using cash.

I may go out and buy some new shoes tomorrow since I got nothing but old shoes that aren't too fancy. I do dress up and groom myself, but I don't over dress.

Cologne, I don't like cologne. Apparently the smell of my dove body wash girls like it. :P
    So I don't use the stuff. Besides, that stuff just masks your natural scent anyways which is what really gets girls into you.

• Additional tips:

1) Make sure some of the small bills are in Kenyan Shillings. When she asks why you have these, say "I don't know, I just found them in the International aisle at the grocery store. Livin' la vida loca." Tip with them generously if the exchange rate is favorable.
    2) Give your phone to a homeless man outside the restaurant. Explain that he needs to communicate with people more than you do and get back to a good place. "For now, I got you babe. Talk to me."
    3) Order cheese cake for dessert. Cut her off little bites and ask if she'd ever consider starting a dairy farm with Social Security checks once you both hit your 60s as you delicately feed her.
    4) Set up a tour of your nearest brewery and invite her to learn about the wonders of yeast and fermentation. When asked why this is so fascinating, explain that you were a German in a past life and you're trying to get back to your occupational roots. Have a folk song memorized for bonus points!
    5) Bring a copy of "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" along and check for publishing/spelling errors. DO NOT actually read the book, as you will NOT be able to agree on the fruit salad recipes on page 157. This is a common error to avoid.
    6) Don't forget to bring a pineapple and whipped cream for slicing later! Girls love to eat pineapple while watching the sun set!

@linkywinky @thewanderingme @bellegirl21 @Kris85 BACK ME UPPPP

• I love my hair :)

• Girls: Do you think guys should wear cologne on the first date?