Why do men like skinny women? Why do women want to be skinny? What is it about skinny women?

This question goes out to men and women.
Why do men like skinny women? Why do women want to be skinny?

I am hoping to find other answers besides men saying "she looks good" or answers from ladies like "It's what society tells us we are supposed to look like."

Is there other things about skinny women?
Like "It makes him look bigger and stronger." "I want to be able to pick her up and carry her on my shoulder to the bedroom." "I just want to find sexier clothes."

What is it that YOU personally like about a skinny woman?

Most Helpful Girl

• Skinny women's fill magazines, skinning women are in all the movies, skinny movies are all over tv. The skinny figure is all over the media, and it's over advertised as the most healthy, flattering figure

• What are some things that you would do if you were skinny like those people you mentioned?

• I actually am skinny. I'm 10 pounds under weight and I struggle to work my body up to a healthy weight. I don't have much muscle strength and I tire out easily. I'm always trying to gain weight in a healthy way but my body struggles to hold onto it. I would prefer to be heavier. Slightly overweight is far safer and healthier than slightly underweight. My low weight scares me

What Girls Said 20

• It's simple. Skinny women usually mean healthy, they take care of their bodies, eat well and have a healthy physique. We all want a healthy and attractive partner so that our offspring can be big and strong... When we look at skinny or thin women, we consider that to be fit and strong. (not overly skinny but slim)

It means a woman takes care of her looks, remaining young, looks after herself, her body, probably does exercise, eats well... These are all attractive qualities in a partner, WE ALL WANT a partner that is like this. IT's the same as men who are fit... Why do we want them? Better genes. Skinny women = better genes to our mind.

It may not even be the case because there are skinny women who due to genes are slim but are very unhealthy! (this is the case mostly for YOUNG women, because once they are older and keep it up, the weight will add on). So what is it about skinny women? We associate it with fit and strong and healthy and that's what we want for our selves, a partner and our children to be like, better genes. Same as when we look at tall, handsome, fit, strong men ;)

• Well, I am a woman who is attracted to and dates women, and I also come from a race/culture that hasn't traditionally found being skinny attractive. There are more men from my race (black) defecting to "skinny" women, but I'm not. I don't equate being thin with being healthy. There are plenty of thin people who die unexpectedly, smoke, drink and do other unhealthy things. The only thing I truly think positive about being thin--and only if you're not TOO thin--is how you look in clothes. Most women's clothes are made for thin women in mind, and those are the body types they flatter. Also, the bigger you are, the uglier and more expensive clothes get--the nice clothes are made for smaller women. For me, I think I'd be happier with the way I look in my clothes if I were thinner and I'd have an easier time shopping, but I do know there are some health benefits because I've experienced them vs being overweight--you breathe easier/don't run out of breath as fast, sex and orgasms are easier/better, you sleep better, etc. I just think it' strong for people to use "skinny" as a synonym for being "healthy."

Bottom line, for me, it's not about pleasing others, and it shouldn't be for anyone else, either.

As for being attracted to women, there is a such thing as being too skinny. I like curves. I think Mila Kunis is pretty, but she's too thin. It is something that would make me not date a woman, to be honest. You get to a point where you just don't have much of a body, which takes away from femininity. I think most people who are attracted to women like femininity more than they like skinny, and that's where things like curves come in, having hips, breasts, butt, though there are some people who do prefer skinny. If you're thin but have curves in the right places, that's what's best because you look more like a woman and not a boy.

Hope this helps.

• I mean I think it's wrong for people to use "skinny" to say "healthy"--stupid iPad autocorrect!

• It does help out. Thank you.

And I always appreciate the long answers like this. The more info the better.

• Fashion. Models are thin, clothes are designed for thin women. I personally want to embrace my size but find it difficult. I'm gross but then I look at Christina Hendricks and wanna look like her because she's closer to my shape and size than a thin model and she's gorgeous.

• So you like "skinny" for the fashion choices and not just cause that is what everyone is saying you are supposed to be?
      I get what you are saying about Ms. Hendricks. I think that is a great idea. But I don't think you are gross in anyway.

• I think beauty is a woman is working to take care of herself no matter her size, but is also comfortable with the body she's got.

• :) you're right

• Fashion is often more designed for skinny women with not a lot of curves, so pretty much everything looks better and will fit.

• If you ask your grandfather, do you like skinny woman. Definitely he will say NO
    he will tell you that he like the fat woman.
    So I think skinny woman is a trend, not more.. So we see them now sexy if they are skinny. Whereas 50 years back they used to see the fat woman sexy.

• Okay I'm sorry to say this as you specifically stated it isn't what you want but I plan on adding on to it. The majority of society find women with smaller body statutes as sexually appealing. Males have pretty much always seen as the dominant sex, they masculine stereotypes are that men have to be more physically able and overpowering in comparison to women. Therefore when it comes to physical shape and size, men will typically want a smaller female partner so he can follow through with his masculine stereotype as that is what society and centuries of poor tradition has imprinted on today's culture. I am not saying this is a good concept by any means but I believe it is accurate. With the smaller physical structure of the female who was supposed to be innocent and dominated centuries ago it allows females or follow through with the stereotype that has been impressed on them.

Though the logic of why women are supposed to be skinny is what confuses me. Courtesy of your endocrine system certain body types of certain genders will send hormonal messages to your brain that may influence your decisions. From a females view when it comes to looking at an athletic male she receives hormonal you messages that essentially translate to "Hey, that guy is physically fit and most likely healthy. If we were to choose to undergo the process of reproduction of humans the offspring would most likely be healthy and I'd be continuing the overall survival of my species." And from a males aspect when viewing a females who has a bit more fat their endocrine system sends hormonal messages to the brain that translate to "That females has a sufficient amount of insulation and appears healthy. If we chose to undergo the reproduction process with one another out child would be able to survive on the nutrients she could provide for it and I would be fulfilling the overall goal of continuing the survival of our species. Yay!" So therefore the message a male receives looking at a skinny message you'd assume would be slightly negative in comparison to the one who has a bit more nutrients to provide for the offspring. But strangely enough that is evidently not the case with today's society.

To end my message I personally do not care about my overall body structure I just want to be athletically able and successfully be able to perform activities I enjoy. If I am skinny or not I particularly don't care but I am asexual so I don't undergo the pressure to impress male counterparts.

• I think it's because most guys today don't find overweight or obese women attractive. Being skinny or fit gives off the impression of good overall health, which is an ideal trait in a potential partner.

And I'm not skinny because I want to be or because I force myself to be, I just am...

• I just want food! But I guess thats why I am bigger. We think thin is pretty.

• Some guys like skinny girls.
    Some guys like curvy girls.
    Some guys like fat girls.
    Some guys like guys.
    Some guys don't care.
    It's called preference.

• Is it stereotypical for men to like skinny ladies?

• You might be a bit biased then don't you think? You might think the majority like skinny girls cause that's what you're into and focus on.

• It's more cause it sounds like all men talk about are skinny blondes with big boobs. (but i am only into one of those three things.)

• Each to their own, there's nothing wrong with being skinny, slim, average, curvy, big. As long as you are healthy, who cares? Just embrace it and be yourself no matter what shape you are. Everyone is entitled to have their own preferences. So not everyone likes skinny.

• It shows you're healthy and take care of yourself.

• Skinny is referenced as being more healthy therefore more desirable

• Besides "Being healthy" do you think there are other reasons why guys want girls to be skinny?

• one person called it the "Beauty and the Beast" thing.

• Yeah I guess so XD

• I couldn't care less about being skinny. I just want to be in shape if some ahole starts chasing me on the street; I want to beable to get away, hop a fence, climb... I don't care about skinny, I care about being fit.

• I like to eat cookies.

• I don't want to be skinny I would just like to loose the fat and feel better about myself and be healthy

• I enjoy being healthy.

• I like slim, but not overly skinny. I find it begins to look anorexic at some point.

• They have more fashion options (their size) & they generally look better in all types of clothes

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 20

• I honestly can't tell you why - It is entirely subconscious for me if you picked two random women that I didn't know, one normal/curvy and the other slim of around same general attractiveness and asked me to choose which one I prefer, 99 times out of a 100 I would go for the slimmer, smaller chest and smaller ass.
    I don't dislike curvy women, I just tend to prefer slimmer women. To me it is like cooking times for things, in a lot of cases most people have different preferred times but we all appreciated it just the same.

• >>> "I want to be able to pick her up and carry her on my shoulder to the bedroom."

Haha, I can see that one actually be a very common influence :p however, I personally don't find skinny girls attractive most of the time.

However, the truth is that a lot time ago, I associated being thin with "femininity", because being thin equaled "being fragile". And somehow that was a female-specific thing.

Then hormones kicked in and now I realize that was complete bogus

• Men like skinny women because most models in ads are skinny these days.
    Men didn't always like skinny women.
    Look at Rubens Three Graces, a famous 1635 oil painting : www.google.com/search
    Look at the Willendorf Venus, one of the oldest works of art known:

aintnohothouseflower.files.wordpress.com/.../venusofwillendorf.png

• but long ago being fat was ideal only because it made it obvious the man of the house made a lot of money.

• @thewanderingme Or because it made it obvious the woman could survive a famine, bear children. Many of the skinnies I see make me wonder if they could give birth (very skinny girls often don't have ovulations).

• true, very skinny women,, same as overweight women, tend to have fertility issues.

• Why would inwant anything else? I just love skinny a skinny body.
    -skinny girls look amazing no matter what they wear, i love a firm body and dont like the feeling of holding fat. Smaller tits the better. Often have a firm peachy ass. Theyre much less likely to have body hang ups in a bikini. Theyre often fit and enjoy training. I like being bigger than them. I like bekng able to lift them/carry them. A smaller dress size is a turn on for me.

36.media.tumblr.com/.../...tsGaFP1tksmsqo1_500.png

http://flat4.tumblr.com/image/138535390795

• I like fit girls/girls who just keep in shape. That may or may not be skinny depending on her build. Just what I find attractive.

Girls tend to view skinny as beautiful because of magazine models and a lot of fit girls they see, also happen to be skinny. When I think skinny I think of skinny, I picture this.

Skinny: slim hips that are almost as thin as her waist, for sheer lack of fat and muscle. You can see her hip bones and ribs. Almost boney arms and her thighs are just about as thick as her calves.
    cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...f-8326-3d8ec3d73576.jpg

To me, I just don't find that body type attractive. Now that girl does have a pretty face. Don't get me wrong, but from the neck down. Just doesn't do it for more. A step up from this would be slim/slender/athletic

Slim/athletic: she's filled in a bit more, but still clearly slender build. You might barely seem some ribs if she stretches, but at rest is pleasantly covered by a thin layer of fat. Arms and thighs are full with a lean amount of fat. Soft, but tight.
    scontent.cdninstagram.com/.../...6_115961867_n.jpg

I think most guys prefer closer to that type of build over a skinny girl. For me this or thicker is my preference.

Thick: pretty much the same as slim/athletic, but largely due to her genetics her thighs, ass and arms are just thicker.
    ilarge.lisimg.com/.../740full-nicole-mejia.jpg

Even she can stand to put on some fat. But I'm completely fine with her staying as tight as possible : ).

• is being attracted to girls that are healthy looking really that hard to grasp?

• Most dudes on here like smal boobs and fat chicks brah, they want someone in their "league" lmao

• @hazoplmeught she looks like a white rhianna with black hair (when she was actually sexy)

• @ConsultantIsBack 1) No but I'd grab her ass 2) there are exceptions like Megan fox, Jessica Alba (back when she wasn't fat) 3) guesd most chicks on my snap are born with great genes which I am totally ok with

• Why do hot girls go crazy over pelvic v-lines n abs on guys? Because, it's biology, we're just animals that want to have genetically superior offspring. So that is sexually attractive.

• Well it's their decision if they like muffin tops or not, You shouldn't force someone. Maybe they happy being fat and only going in tke houses so

• @Polocrew maineee Body is ultimate status symbol. Cannot be stolen, borrowed or purchased (for the most part anyway).

• But who was sarcasm

• Scientific studies have shown that skinny women are more likely to have multiple children than non skinny women which is why men are attracted to them.

• It's funny how men are always drawing arguments about stuff like attraction and sex back to having kids, considering they don't want to take care of the kids they have. Men do everything from deny the kid is theirs to making the woman do at least 75% of the child care and child-rearing when a woman gets pregnant. WTF do men really care about a woman's being able to have kids?

• @SmartButBroke yes, but I was just talking about psychologically speaking that's what scientists found studying male behavior.

• It's ok OP, there are men like you too. y'all just have special unique group formed, Here I'd guide you

s31.postimg.org/.../...916925962_1460897531348.jpg

• Because we don't like seeing fat we don't fine it attractive

• It's healthy looking, kind of goes by instinct with me, I just prefer it, as long as they aren't like skin and bones thin. There is also a saying, "The closer to the bone , the sweeter the meat" 😀

• I don't see the appeal in very skinny women like Taylor Swift, for example.

Maybe some men like it because of the "Beauty and the beast" aspect of it, if you know what I mean.

• To be honest... I'm not sure I get what you mean by the reference.

• I appreciate you clarifying that for me. I thought it might have been something like but I didn't want to assume anything.

• No problem. My references are often a little ambiguous

• i just like girls who look healthy. And yes... i know... inb4 all the girls tell me that skinny =/= healthy. I'm just more put off by gals who are overweight.

• I'm not really attracted to skinny women. I mean I put a face above all, but I prefer thicker fuller women with some chub.

• Skinny girls are always more healthy than fat girls. They look much better than fat girls. You want sex with a fat girl?

• Because relative thinness is a neotonous feature and people are attracted to neotony.

• I like Skinny girls, I guess its more attractive, if a girl is skinny she will look fit in whatever she wears and its attractive to men. If they wear skirt they look hot in comparison to overweight who have belly falling out. But there are men who like over weight girls.

• it's just what I am attracted to. don't ask me why

• I dongt like skinny women, they aren't attractive.

• skinny with tits or skinny with no curves?