I don't want to hurt him

Okay so I have a boyfriend and I want to break up with him. we've been going out for almost a year. but we've broken up several times. I don't love him at all. Actually I'm waiting for someone else who will be back in a year. He loves me and I know he does every time I try breaking up with him he starts crying begging me not to do so. I don't want to be with him. How do I tell him to just get over me?

Ive tried to let him know I've tried breakin up with him 4 different times makin stuff up. exp(I told him he should have fun ill be going to college in 5 months and he needs to get over me so it won't be harder when I have to leave) but he doesn't listen I feel so bad. I don't want to do this to us anymore. I'm not happy. What do I tell him.?

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem here is that you keep giving in. Be firm, make it clear that the relationship is one-sided, and tell him to stop trying to guilt trip you into loving him. Crying may let him imprison you, but it won't make things better. He needs to find a functional relationship, and the only way he's going to grow is by losing this battle.

But until he does, you're just teaching him that he can get what he wants by breaking down into tears. He needs to grow up, so don't let your guilt at his misery allow him to drag the two of you down into deeper and deeper misery. It's commendable that you have enough empathy to feel for the fact that he loves you, but you both need a break.

• Thanks. :-)