Reasons why some men don't want to get married

Please note this is for about marriage in heterosexuals.

Less and less people these days don't seem to be getting married. According to Pew research center women say that having a successful marriage is one of the most important things in their lives rose From 28%-37% for men the opposite happen dropping 35%-29%.

1. Father figure loss of respect

Long ago a man wasn't considered an adult until he was married with kids. These days fathers are figures of fun more than respect. Professor James Macnamara: “By volume, 69% of mass media reporting and commentary on men was unfavorable, compared with just 12 percent favorable and 19 percent neutral or balance."

2. Losing out on sex

Men who cohabitate have more sex than men who are married. According to a men's health article, a study followed 2,737 people for 6 years and found that cohabiters said they were happier and more confident than married couples and singles.

3. Losing friends

Although both men and women lose friends after marriage, it affects some men’s self-esteem more.

4. Losing space

5. You could lose your kids and your money

6. You will lose in court

7. You'll lose your freedom

If you are charged with child support you can't pay, you can be put in jail. 95% and 98.5% of all incarcerations in Massachusetts from the Massachusetts Probate and Family Courts from 2001-2011 have been men.further study shows that women who fail to pay all of their child support are incarcerated only 1/8th as often as men with similar violations

8. Single life is better than ever for some men

Single men were once looked at suspiciously. Now most people do not look askance at the single lifestyle, dating is easy and employers probably prefer employees with no conflicting family responsibilities.

But people respond to incentives. If you waht more men to marry it needs to be an attractive proposition.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 53

• The simplest thing is...

There's no reason for men to want to get married.

We've gotten to a point where marriage offers literally nothing that men can have just as easily, and with less risk, outside of marriage.

• Even though I have never been married and I have nothing against marriage I honestly don't see the benefit men get from marriage. But there are some good women out there. But don't let the crazy women ruin it for you

• i know there are good women out there.

i just don't see why i would actually marry one... date, sure. relationship, sure. marriage, why?

• Basically, what reason is there for men to marry?

You want a lover, a companion, kids, you want someone to live with? A man can have all of that outside marriage, with less risk. Women and/or society have gotten rid of all incentive for men to want to legally wed.

• I've always wanted to get married, but the older I get, the less I wanna get married. I still want a girl to live with for the rest of my life, but married? I don't know... we'll see if thing change, but if the marriage fails (which is 50% of the time, and 66% of divorces are filed by women) we all know who's gonna get fucked. So rather play it safe than regret it later.

• actually the 50% statistic in divorces is wrong. Look up "the true divorce rate in america". its MUCH MUCH lower than 50%. that and you have to ask yourself, out of all your family members who are married... are half of them getting divorces? no... also the statistic of women instigating divorce is higher from what I remember seeing. its around 70-80%.

• A woman can still take a man to court if she is cohabitating with her boyfriend and she gets pregnant by him. Honestly, you don't have to be married to have half of your things taken away from you. I have seen plenty of court cases where the couple were not married and the girlfriend or the boyfriend was able to get some of their exes stuff

• You're right in that, that's why you're never safe xD

• I don't want to cuz your all nuts

• "Dating is easy"

Almost made it all the way through this

• Yup, very true. This is why I'm never proposing to my girlfriend.

• It is very sad but unfortunately its true

• I would like to marry someday, when I find the right person, it comes with certain legal benefits, but more importantly it's a public declaration to everyone that "I want to spend the rest of my life with this person"

• Just don't get married before 30. Though by then, you'll likely not want to.

• When something pays off less, you will get less of it.

• Honestly this is very saddening, but it is pretty true.

I VERY much wanna get married and have children, I honestly do, but the social climate as it stands right now is just not a good deal for guys, I'm afraid. Guys don't just "want" to stay away from marriage, they're outright scared to get married. It just seems like the cons outweigh the pros far too much.

• As people becomes less and less religious, then marriage loses it's moral points.

So I thing the decline in marriage simply shows the decline in religion!! It's a bit oversimplified I'll grant, but pretty true not the less.

• What moral point does marriage provide us pray tell?
      And how does religion alone provide that supposed existing moral?

• Right, they do still get married for religious reasons, wherein does this moral you speak of lay?

Not being married can be an attractive option either way less responsibility, less money strain, more space, freedom,
      Me? I'm not religious, I still want to be married some day. There's legal benefits that make it an attractive option for the one I want to spend my life with, plus it's almost like a promise in my eyes, that "I have chosen you, and will stay with you for the rest of my life"

• A non religious person have the practical enticements and the romance of the wedding, religious persons have a religious based moral for getting married, I'll think this influences marriage's quite a bit, especially here in Europe for religious sentiments are very low.

By religious morals, I am referring mainly to the judeo-christian and Islamic beliefs in marriage as the only moral option for sex and family units.

• Men realize that their "hand" or a "fleshlight" is soooo cheap or affordable than a real pussy. And a pussy becomes more expensive when it vomits a baby.

• People need to get off the Fleshlight thing. Fleshlights are junk. Get a Vibratex Maven Male Sex Sleeve.

• To me marriage is meaningless. Just a title that holds no weight. Not wanting to get married is not a bad thing, getting married offers no benefit.

What can you do when you are married that you cannot do when you are "just" living together? Do not mention "willingness to commit". That is not a reason.

• An actual marriage carries with it a whole host of risks that effect almost exclusively men, such as being jailed for being poor.

• Exactly!

This is why I'm staying unmarried (single if it must be). My decision has not been changed since so long, that I lost count already. I witnessed a few married couples, I witnessed what happened after and I witnessed my own childhood. I didn't like any of it. It's just not my thing.

Never lose hope folks. There are always enough men, who are after marriage. Population is still gaining. I doubt it will be stopped anytime until forced so.

• It's a tough subject. As a young man I have heard almost nothing positive about marriage, nor have I seen anything. All you've listed is true, and then some. From what I've heard you get married, she changes, you become unhappy, your life is controlled, she leaves you (sometimes after cheating) and you lose everything. I see and hear that happening so much that marriage seems like a REALLY bad idea.
    I want to get married. I want kids. I want to spend my life with the girl I love. But marriage is so risky that I really am repulsed by the idea.

• Sometimes women change because the men change, think about what if you treat her like you two in realationship, will she change? On another hand, maybe you both will argue for something you won't meet before marrige, why don't you think it's a chance to make you get know each other better? I think marrige is still a very beautiful thing, as long as you choose the right one and believe that, never give up! Be positive.

• @Transigence OMG, now I know why the guy that I like who from Amarica is so arraid of getting married. Feel bad.

• @AnewSheldon I'm not saying it's on the up and up, but she can pull it off if she's willing to lie and set him up a bit. Police and court bias against men is more pronounced than it is for blacks (for which it is pronounced).

• It seems like something that's just expected of us, and because of that nobody will give you a real reason to do it. It's kind of a retarded circle. I've seen marriage really crush a lot of guys (including my father). It's hard to find an older man who is still married happily. The vast majority are either still married but very bitter and unhappy or divorced and feel like they lived their entire lives for a bitch (or bitches) who betrayed them, kids who have turned against them or never knew them, and money that has been siphoned out of their accounts by a vindictive wife, the courts and lawyers, and all the associated costs in a divorce such as child support and alimony. It's as though they all just made the same mistake and I'm not supposed to learn from it. Frankly, I've never met a woman who I would want to spend the rest of my life with. And even if I did, I still wouldn't be stupid enough to put my money in a joint account, or my house in her name, or pay all of her bills because reasons, or grant her power of attorney, etc. If somebody really cares about you they wouldn't expect that from you.

• There's an easy way to avoid these problems: get married without a marriage license. Have a ceremony, call yourself married, but don't let big guv mettle.

• Just be sure to avoid a common law marriage.

• Yeah, in most places you will still be common law married. I know several couples that were surprised when they found out they were already married. You better find out the laws in your area before you try this.

• Really? That's quite interesting.

• The reason men don't want to get married is because there's nothing in it for them. They only have everything to lose, and nothing to gain.

• That's not how all men feel.

• @iamyourneighbor no, but more and more men are starting to feel this way. And who could blame them? Cases of a man losing everything to a gold-digging bitch, or a prenup being outright IGNORED by the judge, are becoming all too common.

• Not all men are smart.

• I can take any risk to marry;the problem is there isn't any suitable candidate lol...
    Nice take :) Men must take more risks ;)

• Why must we take such risks?

• I still do believe in love...

• You can be in love and NOT get married. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• this gives me so much hope lol. i should have cohabited a long time ago but now... well. we'll see

• now what I'm curious about OP, is knowing this information, how do you plan to use it to help better your relationships? (just a thought).

• I'm not looking to date right now. It just seems easier to write about these things when I don't plan on dating lol. I have learned a lot but I really am focused on getting my life together and I'm not so focused on romantic relationships per se but I am focused on my familial relationships and my friendships

• fair enough :). its easy to gain more perspective when you take a step back from the things you are being conscious about.

• More from Guys
    33

What Girls Said 11

• You don't have to be in a marriage for half this stuff to happen to you. Marriage isn't for everyone. Some people hate putting in any effort into their relationships. My mom is a nurse and she has male patients in the nursing home. Some have claimed to be ladies men and have all sorts of women through their life. Now in the nursing home no one visits them and they'd be lucky if one friend showed up.

I do appreciate people who are upfront about not wanting to get married. Helps the other person who wants to get married to not waste their time.

• they probably don't get a lot of visitors because maybe when they were young and attractive maybe they treated a lot of women really bad.

• Some people care for people without needing a contract. If you need to cage people before you grant *mutual* exchange in respect/help/affection, then you do not love.

What amount of closeness you choose to have is your thing. Forcing people to marry before you invest time in them is wrong. What matters is if you feel the relationship (whatever the kind) is benefical, without needing to own.

• @superficialgirls Cage people? Forcing? Obviously you have a warped view of marriage. No one wrote anything about (or not) granting respect, help, affection, or investing time until you're married. As I said before marriage isn't for everyone. But don'the attempt to belittle something just because you don't want to do it.

• those are some pretty decent reasons i must say. it's up to the involved parties to make it not like that.

• I thought the prenup thing solved all of the legal stuff?

• To an extent. It protects what you had before getting married.

• Children is normally what hurts most guys in divorce. Divorces where there are no children, men are just as likely to file for divorce as women. I forget the exact number, but women are nearly the only ones filing for divorce when they have children, because the courts are very unfair to men, on the issue of child custody. This is why women more often file for divorce on average than men are.

What makes it worse the more custody he loses the more money he has to pay. So if the woman wants more money, all she has to do is take more time from his kid. Some women even make it as hard as possible for the guy to see his kid, by placing them in schools, and daycare on the other side of town, so he might not be able to pick them up after work. Then when the mother proves the guy isn't seeing his kid enough, he loses more custody, and she has an excuse to take more money. It is a corrupt system that claims to be for the benefit of the child, when it is clearly not.

• heavensgift2girls oh yeah, of course the bills would be mixed together. I meant separate property that wasn't added to the martial funds. and divorce can be so complicated... but there's really nothing else someone can do otherwise?

• I don't think all men lose in court but undoubtedly if he makes more money, he more than likely will.

I also haven't seen the "Father figure loss of respect" at all. If you're talking about entertainment, I think it's asinine to compare what is mostly made by men to depict what common people view a father as.

And there are many marriages which don't cost men the rest.

• That's why the title is called some men not all men

• You are immature and irrelevant at this point and very childish. Why did you answer if you feel this was all a waste of time. You are the one who is irrational and insulting me for no reason. If you are trying to make a rational argument you should actually talk about the take not project your issues on me because you think I don't agree with you

• Mostly made by men... Sure, keep believing that fairy tale.

• I am married and I have to say getting married is a BIG decision to make. My husband and I have been together and living together for 6 years, so for us it was a no brainer, but I feel like most couples don't take enough time to really get to know each other. If you cohabitate for a few years, then it's a pretty good time to be like, okay we'll be alright married.

• You got married this year or did you get married as a teenager?

• Sorry about that 😔 I simply agree with you when you say that it's a good idea to live together first and that's what Hannah's sister did before getting married.

• I got married when I was 22

• This makes me feel better about being a bachelorette.

• I see. We should do a take on ''Reasons why women prefer staying single''
    Because instead of blaming everything on us women, you men have lots of defects that scare us away. So, don't worry, we're not desperate to marry your dick either. :) in fact, shopping, cute animals, food and female friends are a lot better.

• I think you are missing the point. The number of men wanting to get married are going down, while the number of women wanting to get married are going up. Writing a take on why women are preferring to stay single that blame men during a time when more women want to get married wouldn't make any sense.

• Men not wanting to get married = women getting tired of trying. That's the truth. It's 2015, and we women are not as excited as getting married as before, because men don't want to. Fine, then let us be. But when you find the love of your life, don't get desperate to get married either, if you guys think marriage is bullshit. We women KNOW it since forever, so we're getting tired of it too. And no i was not being sarcastic about my interests, it's a lot more fun. Lol sorry guys

• I cannot wait to meet these dudes! I never want to marry either:)

• yeah that would be cool to meet like minded people in this way. I think there must be a lot of people who don't want to get married it's just hard to meet each other out in the real world...

• @jager66 if you talk to people it's not hard

• Makes me think of "Dear Future Husband" by Meaghan Trainor :D

• I feel like a lot of this is because of what women DO to men while they're married, or men marrying the WRONG women. Not every man, nor is every woman, marriage material. Men who claim they have a loss in sex life when they get married are obviously not married to the right woman. This is different however, if the woman or man is suffering from a medical condition (for instance, one of my friends went through a scare with breast cancer and hasn't had sex with her husband in 2 years, which I think is barbaric but he seems happy so whatever.)

People should understand the person they're giving a ring to. It's rare for a woman you've been dating for 5 years to suddenly show undesirable colors after you get married and have kids. If you're divorcing your wife of 6 years and the mother of your children because you don't have a sex life, because you're tired of her nagging you about not being a real parent to your children, or because you've suddenly realized that you don't want to give up friends, space and money for a family, then I've got some news for you. You don't know her well enough, haven't found the right woman, and aren't ready to be a parent.

Don't get me wrong, this issue is a double edged sword. Women have problems with marriage too for some of the same reasons. The bottom line is, KNOW WHO YOU'RE MARRYING. If you're dating a girl who constantly blows you off for sex, either you're asking too much, or you haven't found the right girl. DON'T MARRY HER. If you suddenly notice a loss in friends because your girlfriend is controlling and slightly psychotic, you haven't found the right girl. DON'T MARRY HER. If you notice that your girlfriend, who you plan on marrying, seems like the kind of woman who wants to have 6 kids with you then dump you so you have to pay child support, you've found a psycho who needs to somehow be put in jail and you also haven't found the right girl. DON'T MARRY HER.

Men are unhappy in marriages not because they're married, but because they aren't with the right woman, and also because there's usually a lack of communication. If you understand the person you're committing your life to, you're less likely to have a crap marriage with them.

• Very well said. +1

• To say it more plainly, you don't have to sell men on the idea of marriage. Most of us would love to find a great woman to settle down with. The costs have simply grown to outweigh the benefits though.

• @HannahDJA - I like your perspective! Definitely what I was thinking.

• Lol, I see those points and some are understandable.