Should Transgender Bathrooms Exist?

Should Transgender Bathrooms Exist?

In recent years a few bills have been introduced, and mostly vetoed, that would allow those who identify as transgender to use the bathroom associated with their new identity/gender as opposed to the one they were born with. Some of the bills along with organizations like OSHA, suggest rather then allowing transgendered individuals to use the women's or men's restrooms, the institution of a gender neutral restroom which would simply allow individuals, regardless of their sex or the sex they identify with, to use said bathroom.

The arguments against allowing transgender individuals using traditioanlly male and female only restrooms mainly seem to call into question safety concerns of the occupants, particularly that of women. Many women feel like not only will their safety be called into question, but the safety of children whom they must frequently escort to the bathroom. If for example, a man identifies as a woman, but has had no surgery, no outward change in appearance, and goes into the bathroom or the reverse, a woman identifying as a man, how are the occupants to know if this is just some person trying to gain access to their bathroom to do harm or someone who truly identifies as their gender. Many of both genders allege that they want to feel safe in the bathroom related to their birth sex, and they feel as though if anything, transgender individuals should have a gender neutral bathroom for use or a single occupancy bathroom. There is also the argument that having to create a new bathroom or let their current one be used is giving special or preferrential treatment were none is due. They claim, this is not a race issue (as in Jim Crow laws), this is not a disability issue where an indivudual would need a particular accomodation because of a disability they cannot change, in their minds, transgender individuals have chosen to change their gender, and therefore, essentially must deal with it and go to the bathroom of their birth sex or use their bathrooms at home or single occupancy bathrooms if available.

The arguments for allowing transgender individuals to use the bathroom of their gender choice often cite that having to or being made to use a gender neutral/single occupancy bathroom is not in league with their new identity. They shouldn't have to use an "other bathroom" which might indeed make them a target for ridicule, harrassment, and violence from the public or from co-workers. The same, they believe, is even more true of being forced to use the bathroom related to their birth sex. Walking into their birth gender bathroom whilst they look like their new sex is awkward, and they face the same problems a born male man might walking into a female restroom or a born female walking into a male restroom. In particular transgender P.O.C (people of color) are far more likely to be verbally harrassed and physically assaulted in such scenarios. In response to the idea of pedophilia somehow running rampant, many make the argument that pedophiles in their born sex identity have and will continue to be pedophiles whether transgender individuals use the identifed gender bathroom or not, because actual pedophiles have always existed and confusing or labeling pedophiles and transgendered individuals as the same thing is complete ignorance. Studies have also been done to document such claims and no evidence has been found that pedophilia has increased due to transgendered individuals being able to use their gender identified bathrooms.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So what do you think?

Are you against transgender individuals being able to use the bathroom of their new gender identity?

Do you think transgender individuals should have access to a gender neutral/single occupancy bathroom only?

Do you think transgender individuals should have to use the bathroom of their birth gender?

or do you think transgender individuals should be allowed access to the bathroom they identify with?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 82

• 1. A transgender person knows the problems that face them if they undergo sex reassignment surgery. They have voluntarily taken on this "burden."

2. Insisting that the will of the majority must give way to making a very small minority more comfortable is the kind of idiotic political correctness that is causing the Trump rebellion in this country. Keep pushing the majority to yield to the "rights" of the minority and you feed the political rebellion. When do the feelings of the majority get respected or taken into consideration?

• Exactly!!👌

• @the_rake Every time liberals don't like something that conservatives sy or do, they eventually pull out a reference to the Jim Crow laws, as if this MUST be the same thing and therefore we must be just as bigoted as the people who supported those laws. I guess every liberal in the country must have been required to go to the seminar where they taught that trick.

The problem is that I call bullshit. It's not the same thing. It is much more like @M_A_X said, men and women have different restrooms and that is not discrimination. According to your theory, a guy who "thinks" he is a female should be allowed to use the ladies room because "that is his gender." Is that your position?

• A woman who identifies as a female because that is her gender as socially defined... Yes.

And sorry, I don't really remember being indoctrinated. I have my own ideas some of them liberal, some of them conservative. Besides, that is a very American centred definition of ideology.

• Let's dispel the fiction that transgenderism should be accepted. It is a mental illness and must be treated as such. It's time we shut down clinics that perform sex change operations and hold those that have performed them legally responsible for the mutilation of people's bodies.
    Those who already had the sex change need to be put in mental institutions. There they can use any washroom they want.

• A lot of mental illnesses are accepted, you can't just throw someone into an institution like they're disposable just because they have a mental problem. You're dismissing them like they're trash, over something they have no control over.

Also the mental institutions that i'm had contact with (not because of my own issues lol) only doped people up, let them color pictures with crayons all day long and had group sessions which didn't even begin to touch on those really deep issues.

• @cipher42 Ah typical ad hominence from a liberal faced with a view she doesn't like.
      I may not sit in a lab all day studying crazy people but that's what having access to others research is for. As for homosexuality, do you have any idea what got it declassified as a mental illness? It was a riot. One that forced the APA without a shred of evidence to write them off. Eventually scientists have found that a chemical imbalance may lead to non-heterosexual identities. The exact nature of these imbalances and what causes them is still being researched.

Whether or not you are willing to have sex with a trans person says a lot about your position. You can't claim to defend them and not want to sleep with them since by your logic, a female to male is a male so you should have no problem sleeping with one.

By purposely dodging you show your true colours. YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE

Look at Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa. They don't have these people. They're an invention of Western media.

• Man if we all had to have sex with the things we tolerated...

• The BIG, GIGANTIC issue with a transgender bathroom... is burden of proof.

How is someone supposed to "prove" they are transgender if a sexual crime happens in that bathroom?

• If a sexual crime occurs, it occurs. There would be no need to prove anything except that it happened to a jury so the person can hopefully be put away in jail.

• oh for fucks sake. This pussyfication of the entire society isn't doing anything good. Life sucks sometimes, accept that, move on. Sometimes you can't get it exactly your goddamn way. You can't expect the world to adapt to the special snowflakes! To make the world operate smoothly you need to make compromises.

If you're a dude you go in the men's room. no matter if you think you're male, female, or godzilla for all i care. And if you're a woman you go in the women's room. For those undergoing sex change, well, obviously they should go in the room for their current sex. For those that FEEL transexual, well sorry, but we go by physical attributes.

The ONLY problem here is intersexuality. But we don't hear them moaning or bitching. Even if they're the ones ACUTALLY having a problem here.

I tihnk the notion that to cater to 0.3% of the population is absurd! And here's the clue, "transgender" can go BOTH ways. What's next? A bathroom for gays? Lesbians? Mentally underdeveloped? I identify as a fucking unicorn, i need a special bathroom! We male, female, and handicapped toilets. The ONLY reason you have the later is to overcome physical limitations of being handicapped. We don't need more.

Or... we can simply say "fuck you all" and make bathrooms completely unisex. ALL of them.

And to those claiming transgenderism is a mentall ilness; your suggestions are just as bad as the ones we had back in the day. You know, lobotomizing people and all that. I'm perfectly o with you having differet opions, but your methods are just extreme and show an utter inability to see things from different perspectives. Also it IS pssible to be intersexual (which is afaik what this damn debate should be about). What's your stance on that?

• @CoolSky01 well someone need to tell stuff straight. And thank god we can't thumb down anymore, i'd go so deep in the negatives XD

• if people are dumb doesn't mean we have to be dumb as well, apperantly everyone these days is offended and a pussy, special bathrooms? are they serious

• So at the same time we're going on about safe spaces, or how staring is a sexual assault, we're making it so men can say they are women and use women's restrooms and locker rooms?

This is literal insanity. And the vast majority of "transgender" people are male to female already.

• Let's start by saying what is obvious: "Transgender" people are people who have a psychiatric disorder known as "gender identity disorder" or "gender dysphoria." They deserve compassion and treatment. We shouldn't be celebrating their disorder. The idea that we as a society should turn upside down all of our social mores and customs when it comes to restroom/locker room usage for this very tiny number of people is just the product of Political Correctness run amok. So males who believe (because of their disorder) that they are females should still use the male restroom. Because they are males. Every cell in their body has a Y chromosome.

• Homosexuality was also considered a mental illness until 25 years ago. What you're arguing for is basically just plain discrimination and I don't see why anyone would be proud of that. Saying "The idea that we as a society should turn upside down all of our social mores and customs for a minority" is incredibly condescending. The exact same thing could be said about gay people, disabled people, black people, elderly people, pregnant women or literally any other minority.

• Its a bathroom and its ridiculous to expect every establishment to spend the money to put in a third bathroom, just as its absurd to claim some kind of sexual deviation will occur by having a transgender person use the bathroom of thier choice. By that reasoning gay and lesbian only bathrooms should exist as well, because you know how often bathroom rape/molestation occurs. Its a stupid issue no one (should) care its a bathroom.

• If you have two X chromosomes, use the womens room. If you have an X and a Y chromosome, use the men's room. The rest is just cosmetics, you are what your DNA says you are.

• Transgender is a mental illness, and is a disability. Those who suffer from it need counciling not affirmation. When we start letting people live their trans-gender/abled/whatever delusions we lose our ability to call it under threat of being called transphobic or whatever the new dumbass word for this shit is.

Lest we forget post-ops have a 40% suicide rate - makes sense.

• You're just incredibly ignorant and misinformed. I doubt you ever cared to read about transgenderism. By the way, homosexuality was also considered a mental illness until 20 years ago.

• @cipher42 OH GOOD ANOTHER WHITE KNIGHT!
      Everyone says that! Everyone says, "well if you read about LGBBTQQIAAPLMNOABC issues you'd know."

Call it comfortable bliss, The crazy matrix of logic-less cultural Marxism is not a rabbit-hole I want to explore. You SJW guys are like trying to solve this dumb puzzle that makes no sense to anyone and when you finally twist the logic to a comfortable narrative you go, "Ohh, look what I've done!" And normal people go, "Great, now get back in the basement and play your video games."

• I mean, if you wanna go ahead and live in ignorance, that's your prerogative. But don't try and tell me that I'm the one who's ignoring logic when your opinion directly conflicts with that of the actual experts on the subject. Are you gonna deny global warming too now? Whatever, you do you, but I just felt I'd let you know that the relevant experts on this do in fact agree with me, not you.

• Why don't people use the bathrooms that they identify with? People keep bitching about potential assault or people taking advantage but what is stopping someone of any gender of any bathroom today? It isn't like there's a gender scanner or a DNA test before entry. People are being fucking ridiculous.

• Okay so I look like a man, dress like a man, I'm quite muscular, and I like women, but that's just because I was assigned male at birth by some oppressive patriarchal shitlord. I'm actually a woman trapped in a man's body, and you have to believe me because I say so. So let me in your women's toilets or you're a bigot.

• ... you mean "transgender bathroom", the third bathroom. :-P

• 0|2
  • Honestly I'm a little torn on this.
    One of my ex-best friends was trans and that made me have a much greater understanding and respect for trans people. I believe that it is unfair to not allow trans people to not use the bathroom of their gender. (They don't choose it)
    However, despite my knowledge about the statistics I still understand the fear that the opponents have.
    I think that it might be best to have only unisex bathrooms. These bathrooms would provide better security (privacy) than most bathrooms currently have. I feel that that would placate all people.
    But who knows

• No they shouldn't. A guy going into a woman's bathroom. That's fucked up. End up with perverts dressing up as women to sneak a peak. There's too much liberty in this mad world. Standards we've built up for centuries are just being stripped away by idiots with too much time on their hands and a penchant for sticking their nose in where it's not wanted. Previous generations had to strive to achieve a standard and it made them strong, resilient people. Nowadays people are just pathetic bastards that want the rules changed to suit them. Remember the analogy about the butterfly escaping it's cocoon and how it's struggle makes it strong for its life ahead? You could free it and make it easy but it would be too weak to survive. Life's supposed to be brutal. I struggled every day since I was a kid. Got no help or understanding from anyone. You complained and you got it worse. I'm still here, got the scars to prove it. I'm glad of the struggle. I got wisdom and strength from it. When I talk people listen. Men and women respect me and look to me for advice and leadership. If all my obstacles were flattened for me I'd be a pathetic person. Weak and inconsequential. Life may seem brutal for some people but through their struggle they're drawing strength that no one else will get. My point is some prejudices and conflicts should be left alone. They create a power gradient where strong people who are beneficial to our race are developed

• I think we should invest more money into treating psychological disorders.

• That's not in any way relevant, seeing as being transgender is not a psychological disorder.

• I would have no problem with their existence - My only grievance would be designating them transgender bathrooms - I would call them unisex bathrooms and I would use them to stop people saying everyone that uses them is transgender - Maybe in time society might feel more comfortable with allowing people to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with rather than what they were born as.

• Trans man here: I don't think there should be trans bathrooms. That would immediately out us, and most of us pass as the gender we identify as just fine. I've been using the men's bathroom for years, even when I need to change a tampon or pad, and no one has ever known they were sharing a bathroom with a transguy. Literally all we want is to pee or poop in peace. The few times I've used a woman's bathroom instead (if there were a lot of guys in the men's room and I didn't feel safe) I've just confused the women in the bathroom. Most of them actually double check they didn't enter the men's room. Just let us use the bathrooms we are comfortable using

• No thats some dumbshit right there, you are either man or woman no matter what you change to , you were born a man therefore you are a man, you were born a woman therefore you are woman, so stop being stupid and asking for special treatment about everything, suck it up and move on youv dont deserve a special treatment , what next? building schools for unicorns? get real people you're fukcing idiotic

• You're gonna have a lot of wackos who use it as an opportunity to rape.

• I really, really don't think that would happen. There's nothing stopping people from going into the other bathroom right now.

• in my opinion this is the biggest issue I have (said the same thing with different words in my opinion)

• @ForeverYours39 And it's great that you have that faith, seeing as most women have flippant attitudes towards men, but you still have to be realistic. Rapes would also include transgender women (women wanting to turn male) trying to assault other women too. Not just men.

• Who is in the bathroom stall next to you doesn't really matter, does it?

• More from Guys
    62

What Girls Said 42

• Hell no! A guy is a guy no matter how much he changes and a women is a women no matter what she changes, its fucking stupid how some people now make everything as " normal " ... Being gay is " normal " being lesbian is " normal " going out naked is " normal " being transgender is " normal " ... Yeah great! Everything is so freaking normal, thats not called freedom, thats basically called being unhealthy mentally... There's no such things as " I feel that I'm a girl but I'm trapped in a guys body " or " I feel I'm a guy but I'm trapped in a girls body " ... Yeah right 😒 , I'm not gonna respond who argues, this is my opinion, and I'm nit changing it, so if u agree good, and if you don't, then just move on

• Okay. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but why can't trans people just use whatever restroom assigned to the gender they're passing as? Like if you look like a guy go to the guys restroom and if you're passing as a girl go to the girl's restroom. I don't get why this is an issue.

• Not every transgender person "passes" as the gender they identify as, though. A lot of transgender people are still in their "transformation" stage and might not have had any surgeries yet. Also there's the issue of people simply being offended by transgender people, so naturally transgender people are kinda afraid of using public bathrooms in the first place.

• @lumos Huh. interesting. I only know one trans person IRL and he was always pretty androgynous even before he switched so I guess I just assumed it would be the same for everyone else.

• Yeah, it's not. Every transgender person's story and situation is different, and not all of them live in very liberal or otherwise open-minded places, which is why they might be afraid to use the public bathrooms. They don't want to attract that sort of negative attention. And the fact that it's even a possibility that conflict will arise is enough for them to try to avoid public bathrooms entirely.

• The only way to solve this if we must prevent someone from being butt hurt is to make a separate whoever bathroom. Problem solved. Transgender/people who don't care can use the bathroom and the transgenders can feel safe or whatever it is that they need to feel while also keeping men and women and more importantly: children safe. I do not want any man coming into the bathroom with my children, before all the males get mad, I'm not saying that only men can be perverts or dangerous or whatever but I am saying that men are often times stronger than women and especially children and that's not a situation that we should put children in.

• Neutral bathrooms exist already they tend to be a single room private do like when my dad took care of his mother on vacation he didn't have to go in a women's and she didn't have to go in a men's bathroom. I wish people would just use those bathrooms but they won't. I personally don't like using locker rooms with children even little girls seeing my naked body it feels wrong undressing around them. So I use a stall. I wish people had more respect and modesty around others. And I hate to explain to a kid that this is a man in the women's room we know that but he feels he is a woman. I won't tell my child or a child that this is a straight up natural woman. Because their sense of who they are doesn't change my reality. It hasn't changed reality. This person wanted to be a woman so badly he has his wiener cut off and got surgery to make him have boobs but they aren't ever Gonna be real just like the ladies that get boob jobs they have bags if saline to make them seem bigger. People go to extreme measures and a lot of pain to look how they want to look. So be nice and know the truth but play their little game cause it makes them feel good and we don't ever want to hurt anyone. We are all just living our lives. We only have one. And if that makes them make the most of their life let them do it peacefully. But know that there are people who do this so you don't ever date a guy who used to be a woman. They don't always tell. So more than ever know someone before you get too close.

• Didn't read this through properly but I got the gist of it.

My response?

Unisex bathrooms are a thing!

If you don't have the parts for the women's bathroom then don't use it. If you don't have the parts for the men's bathroom then don't use it.
    I don't care how you identify, this isn't for your comfort this is for the people using those bathrooms.

There are way too many problems that come up from allowing transgender people before transition to use whatever bathroom they like. For one, you don't know that the person really is trans and not just a pervert.

If you don't have the bits then find a different bathroom.

Unisex toilets are a thing. Use those.

I do support trans rights. I am an ally, but I will side with making sure the majority is comfortable rather than making them all uncomfortable so a spare few will be happy.

• I know they are real but I have literally never seen a unisex bathroom ever. Believe me, if I'm a the mall and I need to shit, I will use the bathroom of the gender I identify as

• @notallthere98

Eh, i was already pissed off when you commented,

Anyway, to answer your non question on where unisex toilets are, disability toilets DO exist, you DO have them wherever you are, and they ARE unisex toilets. You use them.

Which honestly id call a blessing, i love those toilets. I just dont use them unless im desperate and the womens is full.

• The disability toilets where I live aren't separate bathrooms. They just have disability stalls in the men's and women's room. So those aren't really an option. I'd definitely use them if they were

• first world problem much?

• No. Transgender people should simply use the bathroom of the gender they present as. Quite simple.

• nah, no need to make them. Let them mix, if they look like a woman, women's restroom then, I don't give a shit.

• I don't want guys i, the bathroom with me. The part of having sperate bathrooms is that they're separate. We should have male, female, and neutral bathrooms. Not nessicarly for transgender but for people who don't care. They won't stand out as much this way. Also if you look like a girl and go in the girls bathroom there's not much we can do about but because there are stalls the chances of us knowing are a little lower in which case I'd say get in and get out cuz dispute how you look you're still a guy and I wouldn't feel comfortable chilling in a bathroom next to a guy. If we let it happen, there is no doubt that people would try to take advantage of it and I mean creeps. The chances of rape would go up since all a guy would have to say is "no, I'm a girl" and he'd be let loose to do what ever in a place he has no business being and we would know far too late.

• There should be men's restrooms, women's restrooms, and gender neutral restrooms. Men can go to men's and gender neutral restrooms.
    Women can go to women's and gender neutral restrooms.
    People go to the bathroom they identify with.
    When people start transitioning, they get weird looks if their isn't a gender neutral bathroom. It's not ideal, and the solution is simple.

• Not if they're going to be spending our tax money to build it. I don't care if a transgender comes into the girls bathroom, but don't "check me out" or try to flirt with me. I don't see why anyone should have a problem with this in the first place. If you're that worried just use the single family washroom.

• To me it doesn't matter if you think your female I would feel threatened to share a bathroom with a male but also because its been that way my whole life as very unproper so dont judge me if I think its strange. You can't just wake up and decide you want to be female and think you should be able to share bathroom with the girls when you are born in a male body. I wouldn't make a big deal to anyone but I dont think its right. I don't know I freel bad for what they have to go through if I had a gay son I would still love and care for him thats my baby.

• Instead of stick figures on the door with skirts or pants. Their should be an image of a penis or vagina. (I know this isn't realistic so keep it to yourself)
    You choose the door that describes your pee hole.

• Hell no! If they're transgender they're just going to have to deal with it! If they don't have lady parts then they don't belong in the womens bathroom! Its not fair to the rest of us either! Geez

• The biggest problem with this is the law would be open to interpretation, and if "identifying" one self as Transgender is the only stipulation then some my abuse this and take advantage. This becomes a slippery slope.

• im not sure there r enough transgendered folks to justify the expenses and universality, but also having it separate just sounds like its a blow at them. once transition has begun, i think they should just start going to the restroom of the gender they are becoming/feel set in. if they at least are starting to look like the gender, it will likely not create disturbance to other bathroom goers who aren't gonna question it

• Why does it really even matter? Having the restroom option there and available won't change or hurt anything, it's just an option. They can still choose to ignore it and go to whichever bathroom they want to go to.

I don't really care which bathroom they use honestly, I think they should just all have stalls and at that point it wouldn't make much of a difference to me.

• Just use whatever you identify as. Who the fuck cares lol this is the type of bs that is ruining people. Why would we need a separate bathroom for a small minority? Go with whatever genitalia you have, and if anyone has an issue with it, tell them to fuck off

• The ones who get these surgeries wants to be identified as the gender they transform into , so let them be identified as the gender they want to. Let the goddamn people who identify themselves as women go into the ladies room and the people who identify themselves as men go into the men's room, end of discussion. It shouldn't be more complicated than that.

Pardon my English, I'm from Sweden.

• omg there is no like, LAW that says you will get arrested if you are a woman and go in the men's bathroom and vice versa. Why are people making this into an issue?

• More from Girls
    22