Should Transgender Bathrooms Exist?

Should Transgender Bathrooms Exist?

In recent years a few bills have been introduced, and mostly vetoed, that would allow those who identify as transgender to use the bathroom associated with their new identity/gender as opposed to the one they were born with. Some of the bills along with organizations like OSHA, suggest rather then allowing transgendered individuals to use the women's or men's restrooms, the institution of a gender neutral restroom which would simply allow individuals, regardless of their sex or the sex they identify with, to use said bathroom.

The arguments against allowing transgender individuals using traditioanlly male and female only restrooms mainly seem to call into question safety concerns of the occupants, particularly that of women. Many women feel like not only will their safety be called into question, but the safety of children whom they must frequently escort to the bathroom. If for example, a man identifies as a woman, but has had no surgery, no outward change in appearance, and goes into the bathroom or the reverse, a woman identifying as a man, how are the occupants to know if this is just some person trying to gain access to their bathroom to do harm or someone who truly identifies as their gender. Many of both genders allege that they want to feel safe in the bathroom related to their birth sex, and they feel as though if anything, transgender individuals should have a gender neutral bathroom for use or a single occupancy bathroom. There is also the argument that having to create a new bathroom or let their current one be used is giving special or preferrential treatment were none is due. They claim, this is not a race issue (as in Jim Crow laws), this is not a disability issue where an indivudual would need a particular accomodation because of a disability they cannot change, in their minds, transgender individuals have chosen to change their gender, and therefore, essentially must deal with it and go to the bathroom of their birth sex or use their bathrooms at home or single occupancy bathrooms if available.

The arguments for allowing transgender individuals to use the bathroom of their gender choice often cite that having to or being made to use a gender neutral/single occupancy bathroom is not in league with their new identity. They shouldn't have to use an "other bathroom" which might indeed make them a target for ridicule, harrassment, and violence from the public or from co-workers. The same, they believe, is even more true of being forced to use the bathroom related to their birth sex. Walking into their birth gender bathroom whilst they look like their new sex is awkward, and they face the same problems a born male man might walking into a female restroom or a born female walking into a male restroom. In particular transgender P.O.C (people of color) are far more likely to be verbally harrassed and physically assaulted in such scenarios. In response to the idea of pedophilia somehow running rampant, many make the argument that pedophiles in their born sex identity have and will continue to be pedophiles whether transgender individuals use the identifed gender bathroom or not, because actual pedophiles have always existed and confusing or labeling pedophiles and transgendered individuals as the same thing is complete ignorance. Studies have also been done to document such claims and no evidence has been found that pedophilia has increased due to transgendered individuals being able to use their gender identified bathrooms.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So what do you think?

Are you against transgender individuals being able to use the bathroom of their new gender identity?

Do you think transgender individuals should have access to a gender neutral/single occupancy bathroom only?

Do you think transgender individuals should have to use the bathroom of their birth gender?

or do you think transgender individuals should be allowed access to the bathroom they identify with?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 79

• Who is in the bathroom stall next to you doesn't really matter, does it?

• 1. A transgender person knows the problems that face them if they undergo sex reassignment surgery. They have voluntarily taken on this "burden."

2. Insisting that the will of the majority must give way to making a very small minority more comfortable is the kind of idiotic political correctness that is causing the Trump rebellion in this country. Keep pushing the majority to yield to the "rights" of the minority and you feed the political rebellion. When do the feelings of the majority get respected or taken into consideration?

• Exactly!!👌

• @the_rake Every time liberals don't like something that conservatives sy or do, they eventually pull out a reference to the Jim Crow laws, as if this MUST be the same thing and therefore we must be just as bigoted as the people who supported those laws. I guess every liberal in the country must have been required to go to the seminar where they taught that trick.

The problem is that I call bullshit. It's not the same thing. It is much more like @M_A_X said, men and women have different restrooms and that is not discrimination. According to your theory, a guy who "thinks" he is a female should be allowed to use the ladies room because "that is his gender." Is that your position?

• A woman who identifies as a female because that is her gender as socially defined... Yes.

And sorry, I don't really remember being indoctrinated. I have my own ideas some of them liberal, some of them conservative. Besides, that is a very American centred definition of ideology.

• You're gonna have a lot of wackos who use it as an opportunity to rape.

• I really, really don't think that would happen. There's nothing stopping people from going into the other bathroom right now.

• in my opinion this is the biggest issue I have (said the same thing with different words in my opinion)

• @ForeverYours39 And it's great that you have that faith, seeing as most women have flippant attitudes towards men, but you still have to be realistic. Rapes would also include transgender women (women wanting to turn male) trying to assault other women too. Not just men.

• Let's dispel the fiction that transgenderism should be accepted. It is a mental illness and must be treated as such. It's time we shut down clinics that perform sex change operations and hold those that have performed them legally responsible for the mutilation of people's bodies.
    Those who already had the sex change need to be put in mental institutions. There they can use any washroom they want.

• A lot of mental illnesses are accepted, you can't just throw someone into an institution like they're disposable just because they have a mental problem. You're dismissing them like they're trash, over something they have no control over.

Also the mental institutions that i'm had contact with (not because of my own issues lol) only doped people up, let them color pictures with crayons all day long and had group sessions which didn't even begin to touch on those really deep issues.

• @cipher42 Ah typical ad hominence from a liberal faced with a view she doesn't like.
      I may not sit in a lab all day studying crazy people but that's what having access to others research is for. As for homosexuality, do you have any idea what got it declassified as a mental illness? It was a riot. One that forced the APA without a shred of evidence to write them off. Eventually scientists have found that a chemical imbalance may lead to non-heterosexual identities. The exact nature of these imbalances and what causes them is still being researched.

Whether or not you are willing to have sex with a trans person says a lot about your position. You can't claim to defend them and not want to sleep with them since by your logic, a female to male is a male so you should have no problem sleeping with one.

By purposely dodging you show your true colours. YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE

Look at Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa. They don't have these people. They're an invention of Western media.

• Man if we all had to have sex with the things we tolerated...

• So at the same time we're going on about safe spaces, or how staring is a sexual assault, we're making it so men can say they are women and use women's restrooms and locker rooms?

This is literal insanity. And the vast majority of "transgender" people are male to female already.

• No I think it is a horrible and stupid idea I also have to agree with what @QuestionMan said,

• I've already made my stance on this several times. If you get transgender bathrooms that will only cost the gov more money which means we the citizens would have to pay for it too by paying taxes towards that at least in schools, cause everybody has to pay school taxes regardless if you go to school or not. Money doesn't grow on trees.

• Why don't people use the bathrooms that they identify with? People keep bitching about potential assault or people taking advantage but what is stopping someone of any gender of any bathroom today? It isn't like there's a gender scanner or a DNA test before entry. People are being fucking ridiculous.

• They should just have cubicles with locks.

Everyone can use cubicles with locks the same damn way.

That's what people have at home! It's not an outrageous concept.

• The BIG, GIGANTIC issue with a transgender bathroom... is burden of proof.

How is someone supposed to "prove" they are transgender if a sexual crime happens in that bathroom?

• If a sexual crime occurs, it occurs. There would be no need to prove anything except that it happened to a jury so the person can hopefully be put away in jail.

I'm very sorry but i think it could help in the next years but everybody can accept you and your gender but nobody canget used to it easily. It is still weird to someone who has heard of it but never seen it before.
    I, for an example, would get shocked if i see someone peeing with an... i don't know what or a women who is pulling a penis out to pee next to me.
    That's all an example.

My opinion is that they should get an own toiletroom.

Besides that my opinion about this whole gender mystery is that people who having a new gender act like people are used to it as soon as the law or the media accept it. For them, have a look at homosexuality and see how people are still not used to it or in worser case against it. So actually i think they should be careful because "this gender mystery is new in this world" and people should get used to it first.

• This really is so dumb it shouldn't be an issue. If you piss from a dick, go to the men's room and vice versa

• i dont care

• i just dont want them integrating kids restrooms.

• I have cerebral palsy we have our own bathrooms

transsexuals can too

or just go piss or shit

I'm too focused on my goal of shitting or pissing to care who is in the bathroom with me lol

• I'm for complete desegregation of bathrooms. They're shit-holes, not sex clubs or pickup bars.

They come with stalls.

• itd probably be best to keep it with what you were born with
    unless you had the surgery and get the estrogen or testosterone shots, then maybe its ok

• I am a liberal. But I can't get over the fact that if a the idea that men and women can go in the others bathroom should they associate them selves with that gender wouldn't be abused. Its not that i don't trust the transgender community its the fact that i wouldn't trust the non-transgender community. So i apologize on behalf of that community

• why donĀ“t we have like 10 bathrooms? one for every sexual orientation in existence, including one for each gender belonging to the specific orientations?

• lol it looks like its a guy with a boner as the trans symbol

• More from Guys
    59

What Girls Said 42

• No. Transgender people should simply use the bathroom of the gender they present as. Quite simple.

• nah, no need to make them. Let them mix, if they look like a woman, women's restroom then, I don't give a shit.

• Didn't read this through properly but I got the gist of it.

My response?

Unisex bathrooms are a thing!

If you don't have the parts for the women's bathroom then don't use it. If you don't have the parts for the men's bathroom then don't use it.
    I don't care how you identify, this isn't for your comfort this is for the people using those bathrooms.

There are way too many problems that come up from allowing transgender people before transition to use whatever bathroom they like. For one, you don't know that the person really is trans and not just a pervert.

If you don't have the bits then find a different bathroom.

Unisex toilets are a thing. Use those.

I do support trans rights. I am an ally, but I will side with making sure the majority is comfortable rather than making them all uncomfortable so a spare few will be happy.

To me it doesn't matter if you think your female I would feel threatened to share a bathroom with a male but also because its been that way my whole life as very unproper so dont judge me if I think its strange. You can't just wake up and decide you want to be female and think you should be able to share bathroom with the girls when you are born in a male body. I wouldn't make a big deal to anyone but I dont think its right. I don't know I freel bad for what they have to go through if I had a gay son I would still love and care for him thats my baby.

• I think its a good idea to have gender neutral bathrooms. That way everybody wins.

• There should be men's restrooms, women's restrooms, and gender neutral restrooms. Men can go to men's and gender neutral restrooms.
    Women can go to women's and gender neutral restrooms.
    People go to the bathroom they identify with.
    When people start transitioning, they get weird looks if their isn't a gender neutral bathroom. It's not ideal, and the solution is simple.

• Just use whatever you identify as. Who the fuck cares lol this is the type of bs that is ruining people. Why would we need a separate bathroom for a small minority? Go with whatever genitalia you have, and if anyone has an issue with it, tell them to fuck off

• omg there is no like, LAW that says you will get arrested if you are a woman and go in the men's bathroom and vice versa. Why are people making this into an issue?

• I think it depends on how far they are in the transition. If they are like the guy in the pic then they should go to the gender that they wanted to be. Im also on the fence since some people might take advantage of this.

• Im suprised by the opinons. I feel like if the guy in the picture were to use a female's restroom then they would probably have security called on them despite them having female genitals. Why aren't people thinking about this?

• Maybe they should just add more family bathrooms.

• I don't know, if you put one that said "transgender bathroom" it might make them feel kind of alienated. just give them three options, and they should choose which ever one they feel most comfortable going to.

• transgenders should have there own bathrooms if I saw a guy as a woman in a woman's bathroom I would feel uncomfortable or creeped out

• Nope. It's pointless. A bathrooms a bathroom I go in there to pee not to check people out anyway so I wouldn't care if it was boys and girls sharing one either. As long as there are no pervs it fine

• Hell no! A guy is a guy no matter how much he changes and a women is a women no matter what she changes, its fucking stupid how some people now make everything as " normal " ... Being gay is " normal " being lesbian is " normal " going out naked is " normal " being transgender is " normal " ... Yeah great! Everything is so freaking normal, thats not called freedom, thats basically called being unhealthy mentally... There's no such things as " I feel that I'm a girl but I'm trapped in a guys body " or " I feel I'm a guy but I'm trapped in a girls body " ... Yeah right 😒 , I'm not gonna respond who argues, this is my opinion, and I'm nit changing it, so if u agree good, and if you don't, then just move on

• I don't want guys i, the bathroom with me. The part of having sperate bathrooms is that they're separate. We should have male, female, and neutral bathrooms. Not nessicarly for transgender but for people who don't care. They won't stand out as much this way. Also if you look like a girl and go in the girls bathroom there's not much we can do about but because there are stalls the chances of us knowing are a little lower in which case I'd say get in and get out cuz dispute how you look you're still a guy and I wouldn't feel comfortable chilling in a bathroom next to a guy. If we let it happen, there is no doubt that people would try to take advantage of it and I mean creeps. The chances of rape would go up since all a guy would have to say is "no, I'm a girl" and he'd be let loose to do what ever in a place he has no business being and we would know far too late.

• im not sure there r enough transgendered folks to justify the expenses and universality, but also having it separate just sounds like its a blow at them. once transition has begun, i think they should just start going to the restroom of the gender they are becoming/feel set in. if they at least are starting to look like the gender, it will likely not create disturbance to other bathroom goers who aren't gonna question it

• I think until you truly finish your transformation you should be using a unisex bathroom to avoid any confusion. Then when your transformation is complete the you can use your new genders bathroom

• Yes yes and yes

• Let's just have a bunch of unisex restrooms.

• Hell no! If they're transgender they're just going to have to deal with it! If they don't have lady parts then they don't belong in the womens bathroom! Its not fair to the rest of us either! Geez

• More from Girls
    22